• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your controversial opinions

It's primarily on Gamefreak. They've been pushing out game after game in short periods of time in order to build more profit and focus more on games they're prioritizing over Pokémon. They consider Pokémon to be a masterpiece, and are constantly trying to make something "greater" than Pokémon because they don't want to be known as just a Pokémon company.
Terminal walt disney vibes. Literally, this is exactly how he acted before he died

So, now we need some sort of Pokémon Renaissance that reignites interest in Pokémon with a lot of musical numbers, only for it to drop off a bit 15 years later.

My controversial take is that generations don't come out too fast. Every single gen except 3 to 4 has always been 3 years. Diamond & Pearl was delayed iirc, otherwise it'd have come out in 2005.

Also, there's no such thing as an ""ugly"" Pokémon. I'll die om that hill!

My controversial take is that generations don't come out too fast. Every single gen except 3 to 4 has always been 3 years. Diamond & Pearl was delayed iirc, otherwise it'd have come out in 2005.

Okay first of all, Gen 4 was also 4 years as it lasted from 2006-2010 (Japan)/2007-2011 (internationally).

Second, the reason people are saying it's too fast is because advancements such as 3D game development and HD graphics notoriously slow down development. What might take 3 years in a 2D sprite game like DP or BW can take 5-7 years for a 3D open world console game on the Switch. That schedule worked in the past but it doesn't work anymore.

ok but what if i find it cute. what if its pretty 2 Me.
yeah, there are some 'mon i find kinda difficult to look at (conkeldurr and barbaracle come to mind), but there are some "ugly" ones i happen to find adorable (garbodor/trubbish, ursaluna, dustox, etc). it's a matter of perspective; nobody can really say a mon is objectively bad-looking because every last one is considered to be cute by someone out there.

I think we as a fandom need to accept the fact that GameFreak is incapable of handling the development of the Pokémon games considering the current hardware that they have to develop for (or at least incapable of handling the development by themselves).

I'll see some people (not here but on other forums) making excuses like how 'GameFreak still isn't used to 3D development' or 'they're still going through the HD growing pains' but I'm going to be blunt and say this: those excuses fall apart when you examine them critically.

'GameFreak still isn't used to 3D development':
Discounting the DS-era Pokémon games that had 3D environments but everything else was 2D, the Pokémon games have been fully 3D since the release of X and Y in 2013. I can understand some level of growing pains when going from making mostly 2D games to fully 3D ones, but to claim that they're still not used to it after developing and releasing seven pairs of fully 3D games (plus Legends Arceus) is just taking the piss at that point.

It's the same with the excuse that GameFreak is still going through HD growing pains. Again, yes, a lot of developers struggled with the transition to HD development and I won't discount that GameFreak struggled as well, especially going from developing games for a handheld with a 240p screen to a hybrid console that has a 720p screen for handheld mode and can render up-to 1080p graphics when docked, but when you've released three pairs of games (again plus Legends Arceus + DLC expansion packs for two of those pairs of games), it just makes you think 'Well clearly there is something more than HD growing pains going on with GameFreak'. (And before anyone says anything: I will acknowledge that making SV an open-world game also did play a part in the game's technical and performance issues, but also I'll see people blaming it on the Switch hardware when there are other open-world games on the Switch that both look and perform better than SV did and I think it is fair to say that GameFreak either needed more time develop the games or they needed another company to help develop the games with them because, as much as I enjoy SV, I cannot deny that the state that games were and still are in is completely unacceptable for the biggest media franchise in the world)

It is rushed development, plain and simple.

With the announcement of Legends ZA saying that it's coming out next year, i am hoping for no game this year and Legends ZA to come late next year. After the disastrous launch of Scarlet and Violet, this franchise needs a break.
There's absolutely no way they release a main series game this year. It would have been announced already if they were planning on it.

With the announcement of Legends ZA saying that it's coming out next year, i am hoping for no game this year and Legends ZA to come late next year. After the disastrous launch of Scarlet and Violet, this franchise needs a break.
Same here, with added emphasis on late (or at least in the summer). Right now, though, I’m predicting that ZA will release early in 2025, though, since Legends Arceus followed the same schedule for 2021/2022.

Say it with me:

GAME FREAK IS JAPANESE BETHESDA!!!!!!!!1!1!1!one!!1!1

But seriously the parallels are so close the problems might as well be the same.

I think the issue with modern Pokemon isn't as simple as "short development time" older Pokemon games released at a similar time span and it worked. My belief is that the problem comes in 3 parts that all make each other worse
1. Lack of development time
2. Lack of employees at game freak
3. Increasing ambition with the mainline titles

I feel like it’s already too late for a mainline game this year to be announced since typically they announce a new game in the beginning of the year and anything after is typically something for next year or a spin-off.

Idk if this is controversial, it probably isn't, but i don't like how HGSS had the Suicune fight take place on a random route. I get that they couldn't place him in the Tin Tower like in Crystal because it might interfere with players looking to catch Ho-Oh, but they could have him return to the Burned Tower for a similar kind of atmosphere.

Here's something i expect people to disagree with though: i strongly dislike the "catch all the legendaries" postgame content. It makes all the legendaries feel like they're basically the same thing, as opposed to the clear personality they had in the older games. In gen 4, Dialga and Palkia were these world ending threats, but in the crown tundra they're just... there.

Idk if this is controversial, it probably isn't, but i don't like how HGSS had the Suicune fight take place on a random route. I get that they couldn't place him in the Tin Tower like in Crystal because it might interfere with players looking to catch Ho-Oh, but they could have him return to the Burned Tower for a similar kind of atmosphere.

Here's something i expect people to disagree with though: i strongly dislike the "catch all the legendaries" postgame content. It makes all the legendaries feel like they're basically the same thing, as opposed to the clear personality they had in the older games. In gen 4, Dialga and Palkia were these world ending threats, but in the crown tundra they're just... there.
I like it if there is specific side quest to getting it rather a portal like in ORAS/Ultra/Sword&Shield or the generic method in Indigo Disk.

An example is in the Gen 2 remakes where the weather trio had a side quest to getting them and even introduced the exclusive Jade Orb for Rayquaza that never got used later on in ORAS. Heatran having the Reversal Mountain side quest in BW2 and Legendary titans in most of there appearances are other examples.

Back
Top Bottom