• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your favourite Pokémon of your least favourite type?

Reaction score
This one is fairly self-explanatory, I hope!

My least favourite type is Psychic, largely for visual reasons. Psychic-types are often weird, disproportionate humanoids, with little to endear them from either the gnarly or cutsey end of the spectrum - I get that it's a very consistent and deliberate theme, but it doesn't make many of them any less off-putting. They also tend to play into the stale weak body=strong mind trope, which is both overplayed and not particularly true to real life.

My favourite Psychic-type Pokémon is Exeggutor, and to be honest it could just be a pure Grass-type from a visual perspective. I like top-heavy, low-centre-of-gravity aesthetics, it makes species look burly and doughty. Exeggutor's Gen V sprite in particular gave the sense of it being a hulking tree that's coming to Stomp on your Pokémon's little face:

Exeggutor.png

Last edited:
Fighting has always been my least-favorite type. As a kid, I think it was down to both the scarcity and the lack of diversity among the Gen 1 Fighting types. Your choices are Primeape, Machamp, Poliwrath, and the Hitmons - nothing else, and all of them are just some degree of bulky brutes. Even Gen 2 only adds Heracross and another Hitmon, which are more conceptually diverse but still, it's only two more, and both of them are excruciatingly rare, with Heracross being found only in specific headbutt trees, and Hitmontop having an evolution method that is incomprehensible to a 7-year-old.

These days, I think Fighting is the type that is guiltiest of falling into a specific set of design tropes. They've still never quite shook the reliance on "bulky humanoids," but there is at least more diversity now than there used to be, and indeed, the ones that venture a little further outside the box tend to appeal to me more. Foremost among these is the recent Falinks, which I really love. It completely turns the idea of what can be classified as a Fighting-type on its head - not a big, musclebound bear or primate, but instead, a modern-day Exeggcute; a six-member troupe of pipsqueaks that interpret "Fighting" along the lines of "classical warfare tactics" rather than "popular martial art styles," and which brazenly stride right into the thorny bush of multi-mon logical implications without flinching. Their signature move is really fun to play with (it turned the tide of many battles in the Battle Tower for me), they've got an excellent Shiny coloration, and their design has inspired me to develop some headcanons about them, which I always see as a positive. In their case, I like to believe that they developed the tactic of marching in a linear formation in order to resemble a caterpillar, which would suggest a Bug typing, which would then discourage Psychic-types from preying on them. And for me, this thinking goes a long way in terms of justifying their design within the setting.

Last edited:
I think Fighting is probably my least favourite type too. A lot of Fighting types look "macho" (masculine in an overly assertive or aggressive way) which isn't really my cup of tea. But there are some Fighting types that I like, most notably Lucario and Zamazenta which are among my favourite Pokemon. Both are canines with Steel as their second type, funnily enough.

These days, I think Fighting is the type that is guiltiest of falling into a specific set of design tropes. They've still never quite shook the reliance on "bulky humanoids," but there is at least more diversity now than there used to be, and indeed, the ones that venture a little further outside the box tend to appeal to me more. Foremost among these is the recent Falinks, which I really love. It completely turns the idea of what can be classified as a Fighting-type on its head - not a big, musclebound bear or primate, but instead, a modern-day Exeggcute; a six-member troupe of pipsqueaks that interpret "Fighting" along the lines of "classical warfare tactics" rather than "popular martial art styles," and which brazenly stride right into the thorny bush of multi-mon logical implications without flinching.

I like how Sword and Shield have redefined the Fighting type a bit, introducing three Pokemon based on warriors (Sirfetch'd, Falinks and Zamazenta) in addition to the usual martial artists, wrestlers etc. Prior to Sword and Shield, I think the only Fighting types based on warriors were Gallade, Chesnaught and the Swords of Justice (which, incidentally, are all Fighting types that I like).

I like to believe that they developed the tactic of marching in a linear formation in order to resemble a caterpillar, which would suggest a Bug typing, which would then discourage Psychic-types from preying on them.

I like this theory, but wouldn't resembling a caterpillar also attract unwelcome attention from Flying types?

I like this theory, but wouldn't resembling a caterpillar also attract unwelcome attention from Flying types?

T’would, but they’re vulnerable to Flying-types either way. Might as well do something to ward off at least one of their weaknesses. Plus, they’ve got those burrows they can duck into that should help keep Flying-types at bay.

I'm not really fond of Ghost-types. They've always been the most meh type to me, especially since, for the longest time, there was so few of them, so there wasn't a decent pool to choose from. To further add to that, Gengar is my most hated Mon for a variety of reasons, who is a Ghost-type, and is one of the most overexposed members of the Ghost family. Later gens, most notably Gen 4 and 5 actually added Ghost Mons that I like, finally giving me a reason to actually use a Ghost Mon. Gen 4 introduced Drifblim, Spiritomb, and Giratina, the latter of which is one of my favorite Lengedaries, while Gen 5 gave us Jellicent, Cofagrigus, and Chandelure, who are all really great, quite useful, and have interesting designs and lores. If I had to choose which Ghost type is my favorite of all it would go to Giratina, as, thanks to Platinum, which is one of my favorite games in the series, actually gave me a Ghost Mon that I found to be really, really cool and not a stereotypical ghost-like creature, being more like the Poke-world's version of the devil yet still being somewhat misunderstood at the same time. I found that really cool. Plus, the Distortion World is just pure awesome yet creepy all at once, very fitting for a being who represents antimatter. So, while Ghost is still one of, if not still my least liked type, especially thanks to Gengar, I will say it has "evolved" into a more worthy type over time.

My least favorite types are Steel and Normal. Steel because I feel it should be less useful offensively because of his overpowered defenses, and Normal because I feel the concept of "default" creatures doesn't mix with the concept of the franchise not it should take such a high percentage of the Pokedex.

But both have gave me wonderful designs, like Jirachi, Munchlax (my answers to the OP), Teddiursa, Arceus, Snorlax. Porygon2, Ditto, Porygon, Jigglypuff, Hoothoot, Sentret, Aipom, Zigzagoon, Togekiss, Silvally, Magnemite, Metang, Excadrill, Stakataka, Cufant and Copperajah.

Fire: Magcargo, Blacephalon, Centiskorch, Heatmor, and at a stretch, Chandelure.

Fighting: Falinks, Bewear, Grapploct, Crabominable

Dragon: Dragapult, Hydreigon, Tyrantrum, Guzzlord, Dracovish, Naganadel, Sliggoo, Dragonair; Dracozolt at a stretch

Last edited:
While I wouldn't say that I have a least favorite type, I will say that the Fairy types enrapture me the least because design-wise, in my opinion, they tend to be rather cutesy and girly, which doesn't interest me as much compared to other characteristics. That being said, I do have some Fairy type favorites such as Togekiss, Galarian Rapidash, Celfable, Morelull, Shiinotic, and Alolan Ninetails.

I really hate the bug types
main reason is the bad stereotype that bugs are known for- diseases and being annoying pests that ruin everything

the only one I might kind of like since it did well in one of my teams is Vikavolt
so impressed on how well it did, and helped out in tight situations, when other 'super effective' types fainted fast

Ground: Gligar/Gliscor, Garchomp, Sandshrew/Sandslash, Phanpy/Donphan, Mudsdale, Silicobra/Sandaconda, and Flygon. (so pretty much similar feeling as LukeLucario6 above)

Bug: Accelgor, Scyther, Shuckle, Beautifly, Yanma/Yanmega, Scolipede, Joltik/Galvantula, Snom/Frosmoth, Spinarak/Ariados, and Centiskorch.

Rock: Cranidos/Rampardos, Rockruff/Lycanroc (all forms), Anorith/Armaldo, Diancie, Aron line, Aerodactyl, Lunatone, Probopass, Tyrunt/Tyrantrum, and Amaura/Aurorus.

Fightning is my least favourite. it's just boring and a lot of them are just humanoid martial-arts based unappealing designs. Why is it a whole type anyway? like normal but on steroids? All pokemon fight... A couple pokemon species could be based on martial arts without basing a whole type off of it. I mean a couple of them kind of also have the 'hero' theme especially with being super-effective against dark but even so it seems a little bit pointless.

My faves have to be scraggy and scrafty tho... love those guys

Bug: I like Pinsir, Volcarona and Scizor and that's it
Rock (they are discount ground types IMO): Coalossal, Aggron, Lycanroc (all forms)

It would be either Steel, Fighting or Fairy.

For the first two the answer would be Lucario. While I have always liked its design, I thought thanks to overexposure that it was going to be as weak as Pikachu. I am glad I was wrong.

With Fairy, I think it would be Primarina, A-Ninetales and the blueberry Alcremie. I dislike the color pink, and seeing how most of them are that color made them unappealing to me. Those three are mostly blue, which is something I like, plus Primarina showed me they can be fun to use.

For me, the Bug-type. It's quite lacking in strength and because I just don't find appeal in creepy-crawlies. My favourite Pokemon of the type include Leavanny, Butterfree, Vivillon, Araquanid and Ribombee. Scizor and Heracross are also really good.

From an Aesthetic standpoint I'd probably have to go with Fighting and Rock Type Pokémon

Like @Puddle said many Fighting Types are too aggressively masculine for my taste. And most Rock Types just look pretty bland imo

That being said I do like Gallade, Sirfetch'd, Lucario (overexposure aside), Falinks, Diancie, and the Lycanroc Family Tree for standing out among their typings in an interesting way

Gallade, Lucario, and Sirfetch'd all look Noble like Knights rather than half naked grown men at a Gym
And even though I have never used one, I think Falinks is adorable

Diancie is the most Beautiful and Graceful looking Rock Type Pokémon I've ever seen
And Rockruff is just so CUTE. And all 3 Lycanrocs are just good doggos. I also like the Werewolf aesthetic on Midnight Lycanroc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom