• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Battle of Kanto Fire Types

N.k

What're YOU looking at?
Reaction score
Not including Moltres since it's legendary... Anyway, there were very little fire types back in the day, same with ice really. So I thought this would be an interesting poll.

So, we have the classic Charmander family who at final stage of evolution turn dual typed, the powerful Growlithe family, the menacing looking Magmar who didn't have evos until Gen 2, and the speedy Vulpix and Ponyta families... Oh, and Flareon, who is meh.

• Whose design do you prefer?
• Who is the best battler?
• Who is the most useful?
• Who is the worst of all of them?

In terms of design, I prefer Ninetales, it's so beautiful looking and not generic red/orange colored like most, but a whitish–yellow. I do find Flareon cute though.

Best battler? Magmar with variety of moves and neat status, it has helped me a lot in the past at one point.

Most useful would go to Charizard with it's dual–typing, it can fly AND dig. With it learning steel and dragon moves now in the newer games makes it more awesome.

Worst of them... Uh... Well, Ponyta is annoying, but I love horses... I've never used Growlithe in battle except in Blue and XD really. But Flareon is no doubt the worst, it doesn't match up as well as the other fire–types and other two original evos.

Growlith and Arcanine! Favorite pokemon period (which is odd since I generally think Gen I as uncreative) Charizard is second and Ninetales is third

Hey! Don't make fun of Flareon! He's cool!

(Nevertheless I voted for Ponyta)

The Sinnoh games first got me into Ponyta/Rapidash, which I know some people will roll their eyes at for, but the horseys are still neat

I'd have to say Ninetales. It's my favorite Fire type and has proved extremely useful for me in the past.

Flareon= Infinite worst. It's movepool sucks, with the only STAB moves being incredibly weak.

Most useful would go to Charizard with it's dual–typing, it can fly AND dig. With it learning steel and dragon moves now in the newer games makes it more awesome.

not after a SR it is not. out of the ones you listed, Charizard is takes the most damage form SR.

Going with Arcanine, Intimidate+Extreme Speed.

And personally i thought the Ninetail should have been Ghost/Fire as Ninetails are supernatural creatures

not after a SR it is not. out of the ones you listed, Charizard is takes the most damage form SR.
Stealth Rock... I've heard of it, but never seen it used in a battle really. Does it even hit someone while underground/diving? .-.

The best of Kanto has to be Arcanine--most of the others need big letup with DW abilities. DW Ninetales and Magmortar follow in 2nd and 3rd.

Charizard's DW ability is a let down (well, it makes Charizard sun-reliant, for one) and doesn't make too much sense (which is also a letdown), though it is an improvement (but a somewhat costly one, as well). Any of Air Lock, Competitive Spirit, Intimidate, Mold Breaker, No Guard, Pressure, Rivalry, and/or Sheer Force would've all made more sense.

Going with Arcanine, Intimidate+Extreme Speed.

And personally I thought that Ninetails should have been Ghost/Fire as Ninetails are supernatural creatures
He was talking use outside of battle--see his mention of HMs. And even in battle, Stealth Rock is a team factor: it doesn't affect pokemon in singular matchups. Since it's a team factor, it's up for the team to manage, clear or prevent.

Had I not started with Charmander in the original games, I probably would pick Vulpix/Ninetales. They're awesome too.

But I never really liked Magmar or Arcanine.

He was talking use outside of battle--see his mention of HMs. And even in battle, Stealth Rock is a team factor: it doesn't affect pokemon in singular matchups. Since it's a team factor, it's up for the team to manage, clear or prevent.
Hate to surprise people, but I'm actually a girl. xD

I feel like I'm the only minority that loves Magmar. :V

Arcanine looks the best and has epic amounts of style. Look at that hair.

I've always been a Magmar fan, but Ninetales and Arcanine have undeniable charm! They're pretty.

Hate to surprise people, but I'm actually a girl. xD

I feel like I'm the only minority that loves Magmar. :V
No.kidding.

Well I like Magmar more than you know. And you know, he has more speed than Magmortar. Magmortar isn't too much of an improvement over Magmar, and pales in comparison to Electivire as far as improvements go. Magmortar's cannon hands are its best aesthetic improvement, and that's about it in that department. However, Magmortar does do one thing for Magmar's line... but I'll keep that a guarded secret.

In quoting you I have learned how to strike out text. **strikesouttext**
I've always been a Magmar fan, but Ninetales and Arcanine have undeniable charm! They're pretty.
Ninetales is pretty, and the real animal fox is a pretty creature too. Arcanine doesn't really strike me as pretty though, though it does have a pretty high passing grade in the looks department.

Last edited:
For me, the Charmander family gets first place because of design and battling skills.

The rest would be ranked as followed:
Growlithe
Ponyta
Vulpix
Flareon
Magmar

Magmar, because I always choose Grass-types, and I think Charizard is overrated anyways.

Edit: I love how Flareon has 0%. It sucks and will always suck as an Eeveelution.

I've loved the Growlithe line for a very long time, and Arcanine is my second favorite fire type (for a long time it was first, but then came Chandelure...), and it was always very helpful ingame also.

I prefer Charizard.
Arcanine if I 'm not using the Charmander line as my starter.

I don't like Flareon. It has a poor movepool

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom