• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW005: Sanyou Gym! VS Baoppu, Hiyappu and Yanappu!!

Dogasu

ロケット団よ永遠
Reaction score
BW 005 Sanyou Gym! VS Baoppu, Hiyappu and Yanappu!!
Satoshi has finally arrived in Sanyou City! As Satoshi tries to control his excitement at participating in his first Gym Battle of the Isshu Region, a young man calling himself Dent appears before him. It seems that Dent is a "Pokemon Sommelier" who can judge the compatibility between trainer and pokemon! Dent leads them to the Sanyou Gym, and Satoshi is practically flying with excitement! However, the inside of the gym isn't exactly what Satoshi thought it'd be...

Iris is a stalker, Satoshi is freaked out :p
Team Rocket made something about "energy"? And that's a bomb?
Gym match isn't end, so it's still two parter, technically...
I seen Hikari in the cheerleader squad, or that's me? :p
Team Rocket is steals Team Plasma's Munna plot?

Ash battles all three gym leaders.

- Pokabu defeats Pod’s Baoppu.
- Pikachu loses to Koon’s Hiyappu.
- Mijumaru still battles Dent’s Yanappu. (The episode ends in a cliffhanger)

The three gym leaders have different battling styles.

Pod attacks head-on, giving the opponent no chance to fight back (i.e. Baoppu using Dig repeatedly). Koon prefers playing defensive, using Hiyappu’s Double Team to evade attacks and preventing them from getting close to him through Water Gun.
As Mijumaru is comic relief, most of Dent’s attacks include either tripping Mijumaru or having Yanappu clutch on its head. After testing Mijumaru’s strength, Dent switches his strategy for Yanappu to use Solarbeam in one go.

Mijumaru is afraid of battling Yanappu at first, forcing Ash to push it on the battlefield and encourage it (reminding of its past success against TRio from Episode 2). As I mentioned before, Ash’s battle with Dent will be continued in to the next episode.

Team Rocket does not interfere too much, as they are communicating to Giovanni after arriving to Sanyou City.

The subject of Oak's Live Caster at the end of the episode is the pokemon Tsutarja.

"Koon?" You use "Dent" and "Pod," but not "Corn?"

The Rocket-Dan, for those of you interested, are in Sanyou City to go after some new form of energy that's being developed there. Their mission is all very vague and poorly defined.

Yes, how in the world can Pikachu and its pretty consistantly portrayed low defense get defeated by a gym leader's water Pokemon that evaded all its attacks!?

...oh wait.

I definitely did not expect this to be a two parter! The battles didn't even seem rushed to me at all...I loved it!

fangirling Full review later...The Sanyou City bros are amazing <3

How did Pokablu get the win? I missed that bit. Did it just run around really quick avoiding the digs then tackle the monkey? I liked grass monkey's solar beam, I might enjoy having it around. Pikachu's loss was abit poor but he has to make way for the new guys I guess.

OMGDENTPODCORN
THEY ARE ALL SO GREAT

I laugh so much again about how -some- people on this were all like "OMG THIS BATTLE WILL BE RUSHED" and "OMG IM SO SURE THIS IS JUST ONE EPISODE".

Turns out,people again get too high of themselves and act as if they were the head writers who know everything.

No battle was rushed,Iris was amusing,and we even got a huge doses of fancervice!Totally perfect adaptation for the first gym if you ask me.

I loved this so much.Excuse me while I go faint from fangirling.

*Faint*

I have to say it is a little stupid that Pika lost and to the WATER monkey of all three... but whatever, I don't complain, I couldn't careless... level reset yeah whatever
POD IS AWESOME... Miju is awesome too... yeah, that's enough to make me happy XD
Did anyone also think about Gib biting Pip's head when Yanapu used Bite on Miju?
I liked Dento fanboying Pikachu at first... but is EVERYONE in Isshu going to get shocked by seeing Pika?... XD
Nice ep, I also like how the writers owned everyone of us and proved we have absolutely no ways at all to predict anything they'll do... everyone here (me included) would bet their life on this Gym Battle being one ep only... NO ONE would even THINK it'd continue to next ep! I LIKE IT
I also like how Ash only needed to battle on Leader yet INSISTED to battle all of them - it's totally in character for him
They eventually decided on 2 wins = get a badge... I guess either Ash beats Dento or he'll get the badge anyway despite losing cause originally he only needed to beat one of them

How did Pokablu get the win? I missed that bit. Did it just run around really quick avoiding the digs then tackle the monkey? I liked grass monkey's solar beam, I might enjoy having it around. Pikachu's loss was abit poor but he has to make way for the new guys I guess.

The final move was a tackle to the wall (it was pretty impressive for a Pokemon who apparently can't beat a Shikijika, yeah, it wasn't Pokabu's fault it lost that battle now was it, too bad trainers can't abandon themselves).

And I thought this episode would clear it up but no, Satoshi says "Hino-da" which is the new way of saying "Hinoko." Honestly how Shinji can say "Hinoko" clearly and not Satoshi is beyond me it seems to me Satoshi is just adding stuff to make it sound cooler, while Shinji was more direct and not fooling around.

I'm not surprised Pikachu lost. It would have been a little too obvious for it to beat the water moneky.

The final move was a tackle to the wall (it was pretty impressive for a Pokemon who apparently can't beat a Shikijika, yeah, it wasn't Pokabu's fault it lost that battle now was it, too bad trainers can't abandon themselves).

Oh shame i missed it, I always enjoy watching them get slammed into walls. Well we've just seen a volt-tackling, legend killing pikachu get beaten by a monkey using water gun so a fairly strong fire-pig getting beaten by a grass-deer is possible. I reckon it was just either a very strong deer or just got lucky with a critical hit. Actually I put every bizarre loss in the anime down to critical hits, it makes the poke-world make sense again.

dman_dustin said:
And I thought this episode would clear it up but no, Satoshi says "Hino-da" which is the new way of saying "Hinoko."

He's clearly saying "Hinoko" (or, sometimes, "hinoko da"). I don't know why you're the only one who can't seem to hear it.

And I thought this episode would clear it up but no, Satoshi says "Hino-da" which is the new way of saying "Hinoko." Honestly how Shinji can say "Hinoko" clearly and not Satoshi is beyond me it seems to me Satoshi is just adding stuff to make it sound cooler, while Shinji was more direct and not fooling around.

I was clearly heared a "Hinoko da!"

its weird that pikachu still hasnt won a single match in BW.

No, it's same as Sinnoh.

I laugh so much again about how -some- people on this were all like "OMG THIS BATTLE WILL BE RUSHED" and "OMG IM SO SURE THIS IS JUST ONE EPISODE".

Everyone was thinking it was only one episode. And still, it's only one episode for GL's introducing and majority of battle, contrary to past series...

----

Is there any reason for Iris' being a stalker of Satoshi? It's Zekrom thing again?

He's clearly saying "Hinoko" (or, sometimes, "hinoko da"). I don't know why you're the only one who can't seem to hear it.

Maybe the "ko" part is just too glossed over for me, maybe it needs to be slowed down and turned the volume up but seriously no matter what I can't hear "ko" again I looked up when Shinji commanded Hikozaru to use "Hinoko" and I heard it just fine (it was Ash and Paul's first battle Chimchar vs Aipom), but I guess Satoshi doesn't say the "Ko" part as clearly as Shinji does. It happens a lot in other languages I've noticed, sometimes people speak really quickly in a language you barely understand and it's like "what did you say? Slow down" If you've seen Billy Madison with Adam Sandler the part where gets that guy who speaks Spanish maybe you can understand what I'm talking about. I guess Shinji just talks slower than Satoshi, thus which is why I can hear Shinji commanding "Hinoko" and for some reason Satoshi just glosses over the "ko" part.

I mean I'm not doubting its ember, no other move remotely works with what Pokabu does but still I find it unusual that I can't hear the "ko" part. Maybe this time I can again blame the audio quality I'll have to hear what he says in high audio quality version because while the first time I didn't hear "Ko" I don't quite remember what I heard the second time he order "Hinoko" so maybe in that case he doesn't say "Hinoko da" like you mentioned. Though I do find it weird for something that's supposed to be 4 syllables with the "da" part I can only hear only 3 syllables.

Oh shame i missed it, I always enjoy watching them get slammed into walls. Well we've just seen a volt-tackling, legend killing pikachu get beaten by a monkey using water gun so a fairly strong fire-pig getting beaten by a grass-deer is possible. I reckon it was just either a very strong deer or just got lucky with a critical hit. Actually I put every bizarre loss in the anime down to critical hits, it makes the poke-world make sense again.

Nah, I'm going with Pokabu's original trainer being a moron trainer who doesn't know how to battle, if only because we know nothing of that trainer, but we know Ash's battling style, and Corn did show off some mad skills in his battling. I honestly doubt that particular Shikijika was all that powerful maybe just the trainer was better than Pokabu's trainer.

Pretty sure that wasn't Earthquake. I'm not familiar with most of the new Generation V moves, so it might have been one of those.

dman dustin said:
I guess Shinji just talks slower than Satoshi, thus which is why I can hear Shinji commanding "Hinoko" and for some reason Satoshi just glosses over the "ko" part.

Well, Shinji always been a lot more laid back than Satoshi. It's only natural that the hyperactive kid in a new region who loves battles would speak quickly.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom