• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dear TPCi, that is NOT how people talk

I still giggle at the Plasma Grunts going "Plasmaaaa!!" when they lose. There's still funny points to the script, and it's way better than relying on Internet culture.
Plasmaaaa!! was actually "Pla! Sma!" in Japanese, so isn't exactly changed much even.

where is this rocket guy?
One of the people at Game Freak in Castelia will play the Team Rocket theme.
The foreign Team Rocket guy lives in Icirrus City, in a house only accessible in Winter. I guess in the other seasons they live off candybars, lol.

With the exception of Clay, of course. His lines were awful. TPCi, THAT is how people don't talk. Hopefully.

What exactly was so awful and unrealistic about Clay's manner of speaking? It just seemed like most attempts to transcribe the speech of people with certain accents.

I think it kind of fits with his character too, if you take it that he's strengthening his accent on purpose to sound more American...since, according to Gamefreak (and in-game dialouge hints at this), he's meant to be a Japanese immigrant.

I think it kind of fits with his character too, if you take it that he's strengthening his accent on purpose to sound more American...since, according to Gamefreak (and in-game dialouge hints at this), he's meant to be a Japanese immigrant.

Heh. Heh heh. Heheheheheh! Really!? That just makes it even better! Any particular point in the game you can, er... point to on this?

It would make his, admittedly rather out there, accent (considering no one else speaks similarly) more understandable.

(Wait, does this mean he's the Señor Chang of the series? Well, a nicer one?)

Heh. Heh heh. Heheheheheh! Really!? That just makes it even better! Any particular point in the game you can, er... point to on this?
An interview with Nintendo Dream, a Japanese magazine, said the part about being based on an immigrant.

In the games, one trainer in Clay's Gym says that he sits at the bottom of the Gym because he started at the bottom...I take that as a reference to the fact he emigrated to Unova and struck rich.

I use "I will" and "I am" more than "I'll" and "I'm"...

And it makes no change whatsoever, I don't see how it can affect the gameplay at all! I didn't even notice until I saw this thread.

And people did use to talk that way... also it's a play on old western talk. Has no one ever seen a Western or at least Back to the Future Part 3?

And people did use to talk that way... also it's a play on old western talk. Has no one ever seen a Western or at least Back to the Future Part 3?

That's how I took his character and the "starting out at the bottom" backstory. Kind of like the backwoods hillbilly kid who moves away to the big outside world and carves a way for himself, but still retaining the indelible marks of his heritage.

People say there's no good dialogue?

There's a guy on Sky Arrow bridge who basically goes:

"I'm so busy, after breakfast, I have to think about lunch, and after lunch I have to think about dinner!"

Well, since this is about dialogue in game, is it too off topic to mention that I still find it weird seeing that everything is avoid now instead of attack missed?

Is that more accurate to the Japanese version or...?

Also, I don't know about you, but I found this piece of dialogue hilarious

Lady Sophie: You! Cheer until you lose your voice, and clap till your hands fall off!

And this from a random basketball player int he court

"I don't play basketball just because I'm tall. Maybe I grew tall because I just wanted to play basketball so badly?!"

And another thing I found funny
Backer Yas: From the ball's point of view, it's like, please don't fight over me!

Last edited:
I'm not very far in White, but I was actually thinking that the dialogue has been better and more natural than Platinum so far.
Also, I usually insist that dialogue and grammar and such is important, no matter what, but I've always gotten the... vibe that it isn't supposed to be what you focus on in Pokemon games. I've played LG, Emerald, SS, Platinum, and White, and found tons of dialogue that makes me laugh because it sounds so ridiculous, so by this point, I just accept it as something that make the games quirky, for lack of a better word.

Woah... people complain about the most craziest things, seriously.

Like nearly everyone with sense in this thread has already said, the dialogue sounds a bit more natural. It gives each of the characters more feeling and personality and depth.

Whether the Op likes it or not, this IS how people talk lol

I love that Black/White has more depth in what they are saying in these games. But aside from my happiness with that, I never noticed any problems whatsoever in my game until I saw this thread.

I still don't see any speech problems after seeing this thread. Speech is better imo.

I don't really like the translation at all, but I try not to let it affect my gaming experience. I really do miss the DP dialogue though.

Yabukuron said:
Well, since this is about dialogue in game, is it too off topic to mention that I still find it weird seeing that everything is avoid now instead of attack missed?

Is that more accurate to the Japanese version or...?

Outrage said it best:

How is it actually lamer? Going form making it seem like your two Pokemon are just standing there and your guy just happens to suck at aiming at a still target to showing that they're actively trying to avoid each other's attacks?

It makes much more sense.

I have to agree. I really like the fact that my pokemon are actually moving and dodging attacks instead of something randomly missing. Makes the battle seem more real and believable.

Weren't people even asking for such a change though?

Outrage said it best

It makes much more sense.

I have to agree. I really like the fact that my pokemon are actually moving and dodging attacks instead of something randomly missing. Makes the battle seem more real and believable.

Weren't people even asking for such a change though?

Oh, alright. I've just been absent from here and the internet in general lately, I just noticed it and found it weird. I'm slowly getting used to it. It does make more sense, but I just noticed it and it stood out to me.

I'd have to agree with the OP, honestly. Since HG/SS, the dialogue's felt so... stilted to me. One of the main reasons I enjoy RPGs so much is because of the dialogue, and Pokemon's dialogue hasn't quite felt the same since Treehouse ceased localizing the games.

I mean, it's not nearly enough to distract me from enjoying the game, but it certainly has me disappointed. Sure, the dialogue is 100% grammatically correct, accurate, and can get pretty dang flowery for a kids' game at times, but I feel that in becoming a more literal translation, it's become bland. Generic.

Of course, if you don't pay that much attention to the dialogue, then this is likely a non-issue to you, and you can safely ignore this post.

I didn't really notice anything weird or different about the dialogue. The only thing I really noticed is that it now says "X avoided the attack" instead of "X's attack missed!" and I think some of the status effects and weather effects' dialogue is different. I don't notice much difference in the way people talk (well except for Clay. I fear that he'll like that in the dub of the anime T_T)

When I read something avoided an attack, it reminds me of the Anime and "dodge it".

I'd have to agree with the OP, honestly. Since HG/SS, the dialogue's felt so... stilted to me. One of the main reasons I enjoy RPGs so much is because of the dialogue, and Pokemon's dialogue hasn't quite felt the same since Treehouse ceased localizing the games.

Most of the dialogue is the same as G/S/C, and back then it was heavily edited in order to fit in the little space they had. The new dialogue obviously didn't have this limitation, making the two clash when used in the same game. It's really a shame they didn't retranslate the game.

Oh, and the old dialogue was translated by a different person, making it clash even more.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom