• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dogasu's Backpack Discussion

Another seiyu has passed away, Rokuro Naya. He played characters of the day if Anime News Network is correct.

Dogasu's Backpack: going the extra mile to inform people about the Manga side of the franchise since 2000! :-D

Last edited:
Those essays were very interesting. I had a feeling that Ruby did contests and Sapphire did battles to subvert reader expectations, but it was nice to get confirmation on that. It was also neat to find out that Sapphire originally had Treecko as her starter. Thanks for translating them, Dogasu!

Wow, Tomioka Atsuhiro really does look like the sort of fellow that would write the more intricate scripts he's written for the series. So serious! I really hope Yuyama brought him on to write the movie for 2015 because he's planning on deferring to his higher standards. Now we just need for Yuyama to hire people that can storyboard better than him.

Now we just need for Yuyama to hire people that can storyboard better than him.

That would be cool, but it's kinda iffy.

Though remember, Nintendo/Gamefeak will still meddle with the project a little regardless of who's writing the script (no to mention be a pointless celebrity cameo)

Last edited:
Wow, Tomioka Atsuhiro really does look like the sort of fellow that would write the more intricate scripts he's written for the series. So serious!

No kidding. He looks like he should be teaching Potions class and subtracting points from Gryffindor.

Wow, Tomioka Atsuhiro really does look like the sort of fellow that would write the more intricate scripts he's written for the series. So serious!

No kidding. He looks like he should be teaching Potions class and subtracting points from Gryffindor.

Oh god, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought he was a Japanese Snape.

Tomioka Atsuhiro is a good writer, so I hope he can manage to make a good movie even if some things may get in the way.

UMM-MMMMMM!

Maybe this'll give Gamefreak a wake up call. And just hope they don't rush into things and make mistakes...

Then again, they survived Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, and Monster Hunter (even if those weren't quite as successful as YW has been so far), so they might can survive this.

Though I will say that they might want to try a different strategy. At the very least show a little more respect to longtime fans.

Last edited:
I don't get this notion I've seen lately that GameFreak are disrespectful towards longtime fans?

The advent of Youkai Watch will definitely keep us from getting any off years, I think. If only to eat into the sales of Youkai Watch with its ever increasing output, I think we shall see two games a year from henceforth. Fall 2015 seems ripe for a return to Kalos with two sequel games, continuing the line of thought from Black 2 and White 2. Let's assume these are 'XZ' and 'YZ', with the 'Z' meaning both 'Z' and '2'. From there, with 2016 being our fair franchise's twentieth anniversary, remakes of Red and Green would be nice. In fact, with the advent of Mega Evolution perhaps these would be Mega Red and Mega Green, remakes or sequels that allow Mega Evolution. It would also be a great chance to introduce a Mega Lizardon Z and give an extra Mega Evolution or two to the other Kantou starters. From there 2017 would be the beginning of Generation VII with 2018 as a remake or sequel to Diamond and Pearl, eventually coming to sequels to Generation VII in 2019.

Hit hard and hit fast, I guess.

That Yokai Watch post was an interesting read. Hopefully Pokemon can survive this. There probably will be something big in 2016 for the 20th anniversary. Yokai Watch itself does look kind of neat. I'll give it a shot whenever it comes to the US.

Though I will say that they might want to try a different strategy. At the very least show a little more respect to longtime fans.

The "longtime fans" aren't the ones for whose devotions Pokemon is currently competing with Yokai Watch. It's elementary school children who are snapping the latter up in droves.

In fact, those RocketNews articles theorise that the longtime fans are a part of the problem.

The "longtime fans" aren't the ones for whose devotions Pokemon is currently competing with Yokai Watch. It's elementary school children who are snapping the latter up in droves.

Yokai Watch is definitely aimed at a very young demographic, probably younger than the Pokémon one to be honest, obviously with enough overlap to cause competition. The battles in YW seem awfully boring personally and just entail drawing shapes on the touch screen. (and some characters are palette swaps like what Digimon did)

SammyW27 said:
At the very least show a little more respect to longtime fans.

I'm not sure how anyone could look at ORAS and come to the conclusion that they need to show more respect. Game Freak's most recent release is practically a love letter to all us old timers.

Treacle said:
The battles in YW seem awfully boring personally and just entail drawing shapes on the touch screen.

Have you actually played the games? Because you could look at videos of playing the Pokemon games and come to the same conclusion. "It's just tapping the A button over and over!"

(and some characters are palette swaps like what Digimon did)

Well, and Pokemon (Plusle & Minun, the Kami trio, etc.)

Have you actually played the games? Because you could look at videos of playing the Pokemon games and come to the same conclusion. "It's just tapping the A button over and over!"

Well I would if they ever release a PAL version demo, but until/if one is released watching videos is the only way I can go about it.

Well, and Pokemon (Plusle & Minun, the Kami trio, etc.)

The Kami trio really disappointed me with that, they're by far my least favourite legendaries, and maybe even Pokémon of that generation...

Now I'm sitting on the Japanese YW wiki trying to find out what they all look like (searching names because no pictures), there's more here than was listed on the English one...

I'll be watching the International release of this if only to see how they localise the drunk dog-man character, hahaha.

Yokai Watch is definitely aimed at a very young demographic, probably younger than the Pokémon one to be honest, obviously with enough overlap to cause competition. The battles in YW seem awfully boring personally and just entail drawing shapes on the touch screen. (and some characters are palette swaps like what Digimon did)

With Yokai watch being aimed at younger audiences than Pokemon's current base, I don't see why Yokai watch has to be competition. It could be the game that gets kids into the monster-hunting genre, and when they get older, they try other games like Pokemon. I'm not saying Pokemon should abandon trying to get the younger fanbase, but I don't think they should make any hasty changes to be like Yokai watch.

On a side note, Pokkén is definitely aimed at older fans--I wonder if TPC did this so that they can free up the clearly-for-kids arcade machines now that they realize there's also an adult fanbase to milk.

In fact, those RocketNews articles theorise that the longtime fans are a part of the problem.

Its part of the problem in getting new fans, and obviously hurt their Diancie movie sales (I can't imagine that many older fans wanting to watch it). However, if it is older fans snatching up the merchandise, then TPC should look at their merchandise sales. If its still staying strong, then there's no reason to worry that you have older fans--in fact, Pokemon's future business model should try to cater to both groups. Older fans have something that younger fans do not--as pointed out in Dogasu's article, older fans typically have their own source of income, so while the model of getting young kids to beg their parents to buy them a toy has been working great, Pokemon has an advantage over Yokai watch in that it can do that while having older fans in spend their income on the franchise with little marketing effort.

of course Masuda seems to be more concerned with mobile gaming than Yokai watch for some strange reason

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone should be confident that Game Freak will release a new main series game this year. It is all but confirmed that Movie 18 will focus on Hoopa and its new Forme, which already exists in ORAS. Why wouldn't it be kept for the next game if they wanted to release it this year? It is also fairly obvious that the secondary movie distribution will be the shiny Mega Rayquaza, which again ties into ORAS.

We already know about two big spin-off games due to be released this year: Pokkén and Detective Pikachu. The Pokémon Company basically revealed these games two years in advance, which is unprecedented. Detective Pikachu at the very least will have been in development for a full two years, being the first Pokémon game with motion capture as well as allegedly having an impact on Pikachu's image. Considering that Yokai Watch's appeal doesn't appear to lie in its battle system, Detective Pikachu may very well have something to offer Yokai Watch fans that the main series lacks.

If you look at the past two years, no major spin-off game was released and the focus was on promoting the main series. I wouldn't expect a main series game to be released in the same year as two spin-off games that will probably be heavily promoted.

Dogasu said:
I can also see Pokemon making use of its fans' nostalgia, something Yokai Watch is too young to have in its arsenal.
If they want to do that, then they should release the next games around the 20th anniversary, coinciding with Japan's spring break. And if said games are to rival Yokai Watch 2's sales, they need to be the first entries of a new generation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom