• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP101: Enter Rival Trainer Jun!!

PKMN_Veteran

Since 97'
Reaction score
DP101 "Rival Trainer Jun Appears!"

[bp=DP101]Bulbapedia link[/bp]

- Holy crap Jun appears! No Platinum clothes though
- Introduces himself by crashing into Satoshi (Sorry Kasumi)
- Hikari seems pissed at Jun
- Melissa seen in some scenes
- Jun appears to have Mukuhawk, Roserade and Emperte

Airs November 6 starting 19:00 JST on TV Tokyo.

Last edited:
I couldn't tell but did Jun know Dawn because it kind of looked like it.

Interesting that he has Staraptor and Roserade though. And it did look like Jun didn't like Ash very much.

With TV Tokyo's summary talking only about Empoleon and the preview showing Empoleon, Roserade and Staraptor - I think we can already know the summary of Infernape/Gallade was fake... it was obvious since that didn't have any sourcr

The TV Tokyo summary mention Paul

Episode looks exciting. Jun seems very cocky and impatient (as in the games. also in that tv tokyo summary it says he is trying to be the world's strongest trainer, big surprise there). Was annoyed when he collided with Satoshi-tachi. He has pretty strong pokes (looks like it). They are in Yosuga City.

Shinji's VA isn't listed so I guess the characters are just talking about him. Even if his VA was listed it doesn't guarantee anything since he also does Mukkubird, Buizel, and Megayanma.

Jun looks awesome just from the preview alone. I can hardly wait to see this episode.

I cant wait to see Jun battle!
Whers the preview and Pkmn Veteran can I use the Jun image for my avvy.

Jun's as impatient as ever, and it's nice to see his personality doesn't differ from that of the games. I hope this turns out good.

Staraptor Staraptor Staraptor. Let Ash's Staravia evolve already! Actually, this might mean that they don't plan to do that, and everyone else having a Staraptor is just a big old tease.

Strange he wear his DP clothes but have Platina's Pokétch... interesting if now Dawn is going to get the new Pokétch

Rocket Girl said:

Satoshi and his friends return to Yosuga City to have another Gym Battle with Melissa. Suddenly, an unknown trainer collides with them! His name is Jun, and he aims to be the strongest Pokemon Trainer together with his partner, Empärt. Moreover, it seems that he really wants to meet Shinji someday!? After letting out a loud "Whaaaat!?," Jun challenges Satoshi to a pokemon battle...

Snake Bandage said:
Does anyone know who's his seiyuu yet?

The page linked to above has a bunch of actors without any credits beside them, but we can use the process of elimination to make an educated guess:

Satou Chie - She does the voice of Musashi's Habunake as well as a ton of other pokemon voices.
Sakaguchi Daisuke - He's the voice of Kojirou's Masucippa and Takeshi's Usokki as well as a ton of other pokemon voices.
Konishi Katsuyuki - He does the voices of Satoshi's Glion and Takeshi's Gureggru as well as a ton of other pokemon voices.
Nishimura Chinami - She does the voices of Junsa, Hikari's Pachirisu, and Melissa's Mumage.
Inoue Kikuko - She does the voice of Melissa.
Suzuki Tatsuhisa - He did a minor role in AG, but other than that, he's hasn't done anything for Pocket Monsters.

So my money's on Suzuki Tatsuhisa being Jun's VA.

Last edited:
Jun has a Roserade? Talk about being the final nail in Nando's coffin. Looks like he's been officially "replaced."

Jun looks awesome by the way, this guy really should have been introduced a lot earlier.

Ash now has two rivals: Paul and Jun
Dawn now has two rivals: Zoey and Kenny

I like how they're equally distributed now. Good times, good times.

I still hope for Nando... it's stupid if he won't return
Interesting how Jun want to meet Paul... I think this time Ash is the one to get a pair of rivals to form a great trio... first it was May/Drew/Harley and now we'll get Ash/Paul/Jun
If Chim fully evolve than each of them also has one of the starters in the final form

Wow, the battle between Ash and Pearl looks like it's going to be really intense...especially Pikachu vs. Empoleon. Here's hoping they don't pull the "steel attacks cancel out electric attacks" junk again.

Jun's height and voice firmly suggest that he is older than Dawn and Ash. The same could be said of Junichi compared to Ash. Perhaps one of the reasons that the other player characters have never met Ash is that it would be awkward to see the age differences. If they ever met, I wouldn't be surprised if they suddenly appeared to be the same age as Ash, despite previous impressions.

I don't see any solid basis for the claim that Jun will be a second rival to Ash. The title refers to him as a "rival trainer", alluding to his status in the games as well as general attitude, rather than establishing him as a rival character (in which case it would simply be "Rival Jun"). It would be very repetitive if Jun were exactly like Paul: A Sinnoh trainer with experience in battling that is only now collecting his Sinnoh Gym Badges.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom