• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP174: The Grand Festival Begins! The Art of Flame and Ice!!

Re: DP 174 "The Grand Festival Begins! The Art of Flame and Ice!!" Preview Thread

Ursula's appeal was the best.

*agree*
Apart from Hikari's, Urara's appeal seemed to be a bit longer and it didn't have that awful Darkrai music either. I wish it was a bit longer though the same could be said for the others as well.

All the others were fairly mediocre. Umpteenth ice appeals, CG music notes, and Jessie standing on the top of a Pokemon were all average fair.

Musashi's was okay because of the whole dress thing and because she actually took some pain. The rest were quite naff, especially Naoshi's. There really should be some rule about repetitive appeals across contests and that you will get penalised if you can't think of something sufficiently different from before.

I guess the competition at this GF must really suck. All those nobodies even had better appeals than Kenny.

I wouldn't say that it was because Kengo had a worse appeal. It actually looked quite good. It's probably just because Flowsel got hurt.

Re: DP 174 "The Grand Festival Begins! The Art of Flame and Ice!!" Preview Thread

Ursula's appeal was the best. Dawn was the second, and Kenny's was the worst of all, especially with the mistake he did...

I can't say Nando's appeal wasn't good, but I didn't like it.

I am sorry. I have been fully paralyzed by schoolwork.
Having read some of the replies, especially from Piplup, you all have written the episode guide for me, so I don't think I have to write one.

One thing you all might have missed: when Ursula is eating and Jessie is being interviewed, she says, "It's so bustling here, Candy Mune-sama." She says "Mune-sama" instead of "Musa-lina".
I don't know what that means, but "mune" means breast, and "sama" is to honor the person (here of course is sarcastic). Some of you might have watched English subs; what did it say? Please inform me, thanks.

Nando and Ash are using polite (formal) language when they speak. This means they are still not too close to each other.

Kenny pokes Dawn on her face. He is harassing her! I would slap on his face if I were Dawn.
Kenny: (pokes on Dawn's face) I got you! <lit. I caught you>
Dawn: What!? Ash: Kenny! Long time no see.
Brock: He is from the same town as Dawn.
Kenny: This time I'll show you my great combination move. <which failed as we know> Ash: Combination move?
Kenny: Please enjoy (my comb. move), Pi-Ka-ri. <Dee Dee>
Dawn: I'll enjoy. Kenny: Eh? Is... it... Dawn!?
Dawn: He he he... I've already gone through the Dee Dee thing. Those history about Plusle and Minum have passed.

And Kenny leaves the Grand Festival in order to prepare for his next Grand Festival appearance.

One thing you all might have missed: when Ursula is eating and Jessie is being interviewed, she says, "It's so bustling here, Candy Mune-sama." She says "Mune-sama" instead of "Musa-lina".
I don't know what that means, but "mune" means breast, and "sama" is to honor the person (here of course is sarcastic). Some of you might have watched English subs; what did it say? Please inform me, thanks.
Um, wtf. She calls her Candy onee-sama, like she has done before.

Can anyone tell me where I can actually watch the full appeals? Or are you guys just getting this off the previews?

Or are you guys just getting this off the previews?

No, we watched the episode and so saw the appeals.

No, we watched the episode and so saw the appeals.

Okay. I'll look on youtube. Haven't been there for a while now...

EDIT: That was awesome! I can't wait for 175! Too bad for Kenny, his appeal was really good until the Flash cannon went straight through Whirlpool. I can't help but think jessies appeal was slightly...disappointing. Sure it looked nice but what of her Pokemon? They just stood there. to be honest I didn't even think her clothes being ripped off was that good either...

Um, wtf. She calls her Candy onee-sama, like she has done before.

Thank you. I think you are right, because you know the history. I don't know the history.
Some of you know Japanese. If you know Japanese, I would like to make friends with you, and maybe you can help translating the episodes too. As I am not a native speaker of Japanese or even English, I can learn a lot from you all.

Thank you. I think you are right, because you know the history. I don't know the history.
Some of you know Japanese. If you know Japanese, I would like to make friends with you, and maybe you can help translating the episodes too. As I am not a native speaker of Japanese or even English, I can learn a lot from you all.

I can't speak Japanese, but I can give you this. It probably won't help, but you might be interested.

http://www.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html

It's a free online translator for any language to any other. It can even translate symbols (キングドラ) and normal words.

Oh my god! They booted Kenny!
Those bastards!

...Sorry. Couldn't resist. =P

Kenny must really have the sulks if he's not staying to watch Dawn.

I can't speak Japanese, but I can give you this. It probably won't help, but you might be interested.

http://www.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html

It's a free online translator for any language to any other. It can even translate symbols (キングドラ) and normal words.

Today's online programmed translators work in wonders for the Latin-based languages such as English, Spanish, Italian, and French. But they tend not to work in Japanese or Chinese. They cannot even make a Chinese-Japanese translation correctly. Try not to rely on those programs for Japanese.

By the way, I mean I want to make friends with Japanese-speaking people here so that I can practice more. I am pursuing my goal to become a translator in Chinese, English and Japanese. Friends who can speak Japanese certainly help a lot.

So is it true that Dawn will face Ursula next, and then either Nando or Jessie, before facing Zoey?

So is it true that Dawn will face Ursula next, and then either Nando or Jessie, before facing Zoey?[/QUOTE]

I think that Zoey will be facing Nando

I think that Zoey will be facing Nando

That's already been confirmed by the previews, the snapshots of the pokémon website, etc.

Lopunny-Kricetune v Mismagius-Leafeon in DP176.

Lopunny-Kricetune v Mismagius-Leafeon in DP176.

So we pretty much know how the rest of the GF will be:
Dawn: Pachirisu/Mamoswine VS Ursula: Gabite/Flareon
Dawn will win, probably by knock out to prove Ursula wrong

Then some skipped battles and we get to the semi finals (or maybe it's first skipped battles and then Ursula is right before the semi finals, the first battle we actually see)

Dawn: Buneary/Cyndaquil VS Jessie: Seviper/Yanmega
Dawn win
Zoey: Mismagius/Leafeon VS Nando: Kricketune/Loppuny
Zoey win

Then the final:
Dawn: Piplup/Togekiss VS Zoey: Glameow/Gallade

This would mean each of Dawn's Poké got one battle and Bunny/Cynda got the performance as a bonus
This also would make it so Zoey used all her Poké in battles - except for her two water types, that were used in the performance (which makes sense, especially for Lumineon who can't battle outside of water)

Too bad Jessie is just ignoring from her Wobbuffet. Her most veteran pokemon isn't even with her.
I hope she will use Carnivine who definitely deserves to be there.

So we pretty much know how the rest of the GF will be:
Dawn: Pachirisu/Mamoswine VS Ursula: Gabite/Flareon
Dawn will win, probably by knock out to prove Ursula wrong

Then some skipped battles and we get to the semi finals (or maybe it's first skipped battles and then Ursula is right before the semi finals, the first battle we actually see)

Dawn: Buneary/Cyndaquil VS Jessie: Seviper/Yanmega
Dawn win
Zoey: Mismagius/Leafeon VS Nando: Kricketune/Loppuny
Zoey win

Then the final:
Dawn: Piplup/Togekiss VS Zoey: Glameow/Gallade

This would mean each of Dawn's Poké got one battle and Bunny/Cynda got the performance as a bonus
This also would make it so Zoey used all her Poké in battles - except for her two water types, that were used in the performance (which makes sense, especially for Lumineon who can't battle outside of water)

From Musashi's post: http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r52/Digigirl10/PS_NewShots.jpg

Lumineon looks like it is getting a still screen battle.

Also, didn't summaries said Ursula battle will be the first one?

Oh, I know about these still shots battles... I meant battles that we actually get to see XD though it's nice to know they do get a battle... I wonder how Lumineon could battle on stage (unless they open the pool for it like the performance, but it'd be a little unfair surprise for Zoey's opponent, like if he planned using a fire type or something)

Oh, I know about these still shots battles... I meant battles that we actually get to see XD though it's nice to know they do get a battle... I wonder how Lumineon could battle on stage (unless they open the pool for it like the performance, but it'd be a little unfair surprise for Zoey's opponent, like if he planned using a fire type or something)

Ah :p. It is probably flying, like everything else in GF.

LOL XD
And about Ursula's battle... well, it doesn't really matter if it's the first battle or not, it'd probably be the first one we actually see while all other battles before/after that aren't againt important characters will just get still shots

Hunter J's bomb makes Lake Valor's gravity go wonky !!! That's how you spell continuity...

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom