• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP188: Conclusion of Rival Battle! Satoshi VS Shinji!!

Re: DP 188 "Conclusion of Rival Battle! Satoshi VS Shinji!!" Preview Thread

Glad to see Electivire take center stage, definitely being Paul's main guy and all (even if Torterra was his starter), plus it does a nice job of bringing Diamond and Pearl full circle...

But wow, the Takuto Battle is going to have to evolve Heracross to even come close to living up to this fight. At this point, I'm kind of wondering if they should've just ended the league here.

I was just having the same thought as you. Theres no point in having ASh beat Paul in and awesome fight then go and get creamed by Takuto on the next round. That would be such a massive downer.

Well if Gliscor only manages a tie (which given how insane Drapion is might be it's only shot at this point for a "win") I know Gible (the forum poster here, not the pokemon.) will be happy.

I hope Pikachu at least gets Electrivire with Static before it goes down, yes I know it's been done before, but it would cripple Electrivire enough to make it's fight with Infernape even.

This is not easy for me to call. It does seem apparent that Gliscor and Drapion take each other out, leaving Pika and Infernape for Electivire. This is more than I expected to happen in this episode, and I am not too sure they can fit part of the Darkrai battle in here right now. Depending on how involved they want to make the Electivire vs. Infernape battle and how big a deal they want to make of Ash winning, it's not looking good. It's not worth arguing over anyway. We just have to wait now.

I think Pikachu could be the one picking up the final victory against Electivire, since this would really bring DP to a full circle, being how Pikachu draw with Elekid on DP003 which started their rivalry.

Although I think it will go like this:
Gliscor draws with Drapion
Electivire defeats Pikachu and
Infernape defeats Electivire.

Hopefully this leaves at least 5-10 minutes for a good bye for Shinji, and a short introduction of Takuto.

Well I guess this is the only cruel cool dude rival Ash has ever fought.I really miss Paul.But having seen Reggie's retirement of being a trainer, I doubt if Paul's will for getting stronger will end.

That Darkrai better be a badass for my sake!

If the battle ends with a blaze powered mach punch with a full on trail of flame behind Infernape, that's all I would ever want from this battle. Looks to be the case, and I hope it is. Anyway, really interesting battle, the last few aren't going to take long from the looks of it.

Saw the preview...

- What the hell is Gliscor still doing here? LEAVE!!
- Was Pikachu v Electivire really necessary? couldn't we have fitted a bit of Drapion v Pikachu with Drapion taking him out quick?
- Infernape's gonna party like it's his birthday!

Well if Gliscor only manages a tie (which given how insane Drapion is might be it's only shot at this point for a "win") I know Gible (the forum poster here, not the pokemon.) will be happy.

The pokemon would be happy too :D Everybody's happy when GLiscor fails XD. But you know what would make me happier? Gliscor losing...

I hope Pikachu at least gets Electrivire with Static before it goes down, yes I know it's been done before, but it would cripple Electrivire enough to make it's fight with Infernape even.

It would balance things out since Infernape is poisoned but me thinks the writers won't do that.

Tbh, even if Gliscor ties, it seemed to have more lasting power than Torterra and Buizel. I mean it got a beating from Ninjask and seems to be getting some hits from Drapion too. Yet it's still able to deliver an attack strong enough to beat it. At the same time, Drapion's not all that hurt, Buizel's Water Gun seemed more like a way to escape Drapion and Torterra only had two hits in. And then Drapion was recalled which in the anime, usually means it gets somewhat healed.

So if Gliscor ties, it seems to have done most of the work for Ash in terms of taking down Drapion imo. Pretty impressive to see how much Gliscor has improved.

I'm excited to see Infernape in this match though...it seemed like it was going super saiyan there haha! Can't wait.

Yes, this battle is obviously going to be mainly Ash vs. Paul. But I am not complaining. Yay another Pikachu vs. Paul's Electivire where Pikachu gets curbstombed!

And Blaze for the win.

My Arceus...what fun does people find in counting every win for every pokemon,as if this was some sort of test...what fun is it there in "analyzing" every frigging second of a battle and trying to calculate every possible attack...just for the sake of complaining? Why waste time trying to predict who knocks out who?you aren't gaining money or anything from it as if it was a horse race.Just enjoy the fight and follow the flow.

I honestly don't understand these people who overanalyse every match up and try to "predict it" in detail....just so than when the actual episode airs,they can complain about how the fight didn't went exactly like their stupid prediction.I don't understand these people.

My Arceus...what fun does people find in counting every win for every pokemon,as if this was some sort of test...what fun is it there in "analyzing" every frigging second of a battle and trying to calculate every possible attack...just for the sake of complaining? Why waste time trying to predict who knocks out who?you aren't gaining money or anything from it as if it was a horse race.Just enjoy the fight and follow the flow.

I honestly don't understand these people who overanalyse every match up and try to "predict it" in detail....just so than when the actual episode airs,they can complain about how the fight didn't went exactly like their stupid prediction.I don't understand these people.
Welcome to the internet, you'll get used to it by the time a full year sinks in, and by 2 years, you'll be used to ignoring it, even if it won't do you much good, other then people ignoring you.

I'm confident Gliscor will beat Drapion, that's why no Pikachu Vs. Drapion shots were shown in the preview.

Gliscor will go down quickly to Electrivire, and Pikachu too.

I'm confident Gliscor will beat Drapion, that's why no Pikachu Vs. Drapion shots were shown in the preview.

Or it could be a draw, we don't know.

Last edited:

What would really suck is that is Infernape faints after one attack because of Poison. That would really ruin this battle. *knock on wood*
It would be cool to see Pikachu vs. Electivire though since that was really teh first Sinnoh Pokemon Ash fought against (ex- Garys Electivire before Sinnoh started)

tookabiteagumgum.jpg

Goku and Luffy, all rolled into one monkey.

Holy Toledo! That monkey is crackers, I tell ya!

So, at the end of the day, it looks like Infernape is taking his spot among the immortals, such as Charizard, Snorlax, and Sceptile. I expect this fight to finish up the other two skirmishes fairly rapidly and leave a sizable chunk for Electivire and Infernape (Deja Vu).

The animation in the preview alone is cause enough for any Poke-fan worthy to call themselves one to wet their pants. This battle, for all of its Ups and Downs, will take its place in the top spot of ALL battles to have ever existed, edging out classic and nostalgic stuff. This battle alone is a friggin' 3-part arc. That's enough for some tournaments. It's got Emotion; It's got Animation; It's got Action. It's Animoction.

The summary already said Infernape Vs. Electrivire is the final fight, so Pikachu thankfully loses.

is torterra confirmed for a win?

I hope this battle ends halfway through the ep.

The Darkrai match needs more than 1 episode.

I hope this battle ends halfway through the ep.

The Darkrai match needs more than 1 episode.

I hope so too. I don't want Ash to go into to battle after defeating Paul only for Takuto to go "Lol, yeah Ima sweep you know with my uber kthxbye."

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom