• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

It's been over a year. What is your opinion on the Fairy Type now?

Well that CAN be fixed with better Pokemon and moves. Types like Bug had similar problems for a while and then in 3rd and 4th gen it started getting stronger Pokemon and stronger moves. The same thing needs to happen with Poison, and it probably will over the course of 7th and 8th gen.

True that but they could have cut the middle man and have it be SE against fighting. Which would make more sense.

And now pretty much no reason not to have at least one steel type. THE SYSTEM WORKS.

Well defensively it's pretty OP, so they can fix that by removing more resistances or giving it another weakness.

Yeah but its defensive power works in tandem with it's offensive. Meaning pretty much anytime you would use a poison type you're better off with a steal given its resistance to grass as well as sharing its fairy advantages. Actually my "purist angle" would potentially serve poison more because it would have a purpose. Building on the fighting weakness and its resistance with that new SE STAB. Would help it out a lot.

Maybe it's because I'm an over offensive player that I think that not having a stab SE attack besides itself more then makes up for it.

Not completely. It may not have any useful type advantages, but it can still hit hard if there's not a lot that can resist it. Outrage spam was a big concern before Fairy, you could pretty much decimate everything until it gets confused and there was nothing you could do to stop it.

Yeah but outrage spammers are all x4 weak to ice or are glass. Having one ice type that can out speed it immediately and do real damage might have nipped that one in the bud. Especially considering sashes and berries can't coexist.

I think it's a tad strong, both defensively and offensively. To mitigate this, they should make psychic type attacks SE against fairies and make psychics resist fairy type attacks. Psychic is actually one of the worst types now, both offensively and defensively. The only reason you ever see psychic types around is because they have a few fantastic Pokemon.

Also, as a addendum to my the above, you could make psychic types ineffective against ghosts instead of dark. That makes marginally more sense and creates a really nice 'mystical' type triangle--the only true type triangle that doesn't have grass, fire or water in it.

Then they could remove steel's resistance of fairies, which would reduce steel's defensive hegemony. (I get that iron's good against fairies, but steel needed the offensive help. No-one said steel's good against fairies.)

I've liked the Fairy type since it was introduced, and I still do, but I do have a few minor issues with it. First, we need less round and pink fairies and more badass ones like Mawile and maybe Xerneas. Also, in my opinion, more Pokemon (like Milotic and Mismagius) and moves (especially physical ones) should've been retyped. Finally, while it did a good job balancing the type chart, I'm not sure why it resists Bug when it wasn't even a good offensive type to begin with, and by taking up the role of the dragon slaying type, Ice was rendered arguably the worst type in the game. I hope GF further tweaks the type chart a bit in gen VII to fix that.

I think it's a tad strong, both defensively and offensively. To mitigate this, they should make psychic type attacks SE against fairies and make psychics resist fairy type attacks. Psychic is actually one of the worst types now, both offensively and defensively. The only reason you ever see psychic types around is because they have a few fantastic Pokemon.

Psychic being SE against Fairy doesn't make sense in RL logic. Don't get me wrong, I think Psychic could use a boost, but not in that way.

Also, I think it's a good thing that Poison and Steel are the only types good against Fairy because anything else would discourage you from using those two. Maybe if we get a new type though.

Also, as a addendum to my the above, you could make psychic types ineffective against ghosts instead of dark. That makes marginally more sense and creates a really nice 'mystical' type triangle--the only true type triangle that doesn't have grass, fire or water in it.

Also doesn't make RL sense, and we don't want to make Dark any worse at this point. Especially when Ghost has the same type advantages AND better defensive coverage.

Then they could remove steel's resistance of fairies, which would reduce steel's defensive hegemony. (I get that iron's good against fairies, but steel needed the offensive help. No-one said steel's good against fairies.)

Something tells me that if iron is good against Fairy, it can also resist its magic. But I'm not as sure on this one.

Anyway, I think it would be better to remove Steel's resistance against Psychic. They already removed Dark and Ghost for similar reasons.

Psychics being strong against fairy makes sense to me. Mind influence putting the lockdown on soul life or heart.

Psychic being SE against Fairy doesn't make sense in RL logic. Don't get me wrong, I think Psychic could use a boost, but not in that way.

Psychic resisting fairy wouldn't be too obscure (a telepath seeing through trickery), but i wouldn't think it would be offensively SE against it.

Thinking about it, i don't understand why Grass doesn't resist Fairy. Fairies don't damage plants - they nurture them. And, of course, Grass needs a defensive buff.

Psychic resisting fairy wouldn't be too obscure (a telepath seeing through trickery), but i wouldn't think it would be offensively SE against it.

Thinking about it, i don't understand why Grass doesn't resist Fairy. Fairies don't damage plants - they nurture them. And, of course, Grass needs a defensive buff.

If we're talking what makes sense rather than balance, then Psychic being weak to Fairy would be better. The legends of the Fair Folk nearly always involve glamours and enchantments that fool the mind, not the body. By that logic, Psychic-types that reply upon their mind should be vulnerable

Togekiss is a fairy type, therefore, fairy type is cool.

Fairy wasn't a perfect addition, plenty of issues with it, just as the whole type chart could use revamping, in my opinion. But Fairy was a welcome change all the same.

Nobody ever beat the Fey with the power of the mind. They did it with prayer and iron. According to folklore, anyway

Then she's part aku then. Wait is Fey one really big fairy or the original fairy species of all mythology? Cause in case one part/dark and anecdotal and the second would be really hard to get all the information for and even then have definitions for that everyone would except. Some consider elves fairies, some consider orc dark elves but I wouldn't consider Orcs fairies. Not to mention that mythological creatures and magic is so different and varied everybody has to make or at least define their own rules anyways. -_-

I've gotten over it. Togekiss and the newest Eeveelution Sylveon being Fairy-Types helped I guess. It's nice to see that Steel and Poison being good offensively, and Dragons are nerfed because of it too. I'm eventually going to use some Poison Pokemon like Garbodor (Who is far more cute when it's mouth is closed.), and Steel-Types like Jirachi.

Having the Fairy-Type also made some things make a bit more sense, such as Granbull and Snubull.

No matter what though, I'm still using my Salamence.

Also, please note that Dialga actually still pwns, even being part-Dragon-Type.

I think Fairy-types are pretty good, especially the revamping that was given to the Ralts line. Although, I'm willing to admit that my favorite thing about it was when it was first revealed: the Fairly Odd Parents references made by the fandom were hilarious. Can we have that happen again, please?

However, if they don't make a Tooth Fairy-based 'mon for Gen 7, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Fairies were made to destroy me.
I tend to use Psychic and Dark types, and I never know any Poison or Steel moves, so I just tend to avoid battling online or running into Fairy Tale Girls.

It's good that Dragon got a nerf though, Hydreigon had it coming.

Hydreigon has shit speed for a glass cannon he didn't have it coming at all. He evolves at level 64 damn it. A fair system would give him the top spot of OU not a goddamn nerf.

Still stupid, but I would like to see another Fairy-type legendary. Xearnias was not bad at all.

Nobody ever beat the Fey with the power of the mind. They did it with prayer and iron. According to folklore, anyway

Then she's part aku then. Wait is Fey one really big fairy or the original fairy species of all mythology? Cause in case one part/dark and anecdotal and the second would be really hard to get all the information for and even then have definitions for that everyone would except. Some consider elves fairies, some consider orc dark elves but I wouldn't consider Orcs fairies. Not to mention that mythological creatures and magic is so different and varied everybody has to make or at least define their own rules anyways. -_-

It depends what you're talking about. D and D or Tolkein?

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom