• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Localized Names

Re: English names

Generation I has some of the worst names. Seel is god awful. At least Dewgong has "dew" in it. I mean, c'mon, Mr. Mime???

A Dewgong is an animal too...

No, the real animal is a Dugong.

I still prefer Gear. The same way I prefer Swellow. They may not be the most creative, but they fit the best.

Crap. You got me good there.
I do still think it will work, however, using a word like "Presumptuous" keeps the negative aspect in which it's supposed to mean. I'd like it to stay overconfidence, but like you pointed out, Overconfident and Overconfident are both too long, and dropping a letter they might not to...And just confident wouldn't make sense with the types of Pokemon with this ability.

So, maybe something like you said "Presumptuous" or Pompous. I saw the cocksure thing, but yeah, the slang used now won't allow that.

Anyway, I like Presumptuous more than Pompous.

How about Arrogance instead? I think that's a well-known word that could replace Overconfidence.

How about Temerity for Overconfidence?

As for moves...hmmm...Replace Afro Break with Hair Split?

For Anger Powder, I have the perfect name: Incense.

Lightning Strike...Storm Strike?

Evil Eye...Oppress? Opprobrium? For the record, the original name of it, 祟り目 (tatarime), does indeed idiomatically go to "the evil eye", at least according to Jeffrey's. The "tatari", though, more specifically means "haunt" or "curse", not just "evil". And while "me" does typically mean "eye", it can also mean "look" or "insight", which explains the interrogation reference in the in-game description (figuratively, this could imply a haunting presence that flat-out refuses to shut up about your failings). But going less with the kanji's individual meanings, there's a proverb similar to our "It never rains, but it pours"--"Yowarime ni tatarime", or "Times of weakness suffer an evil eye". This suggests that the Tatarime specifically amplifies the problems one is already suffering (pretty much what the attack does). So...Persecute?

Should be interesting to see what happens with Cross Thunder and Cross Flame--the former breaches the twelve character limit, but the latter doesn't. Cross Storm? Cross Bolt? Cross Spark?

Little by Little...Given the concept, Flaw Strike sounds good to me.

Body Purge->Jettison

Shell Smash->Shed Armor

Why change Afro break? It's not too long, and it's Buffalon's signature move. Removing Afro from it is like giving it to another Pokemon with no relevance to it.

Afro break should stay the same.

Afro Slam or Afro Charge sounds more fitting since I don't know what "break" has to do with tackling a foe.

Break can refer to recking things in a violent or sudden manner, which does make sense for the move.

Tsutarja: Smugleaf
Pokabu: Pignite
Mijumaru: Wotter
Zorua: Zorua. They're keeping Zoroark*, soooo...
Chiramii: Chillarmy
Giaru: Giar
Hihidaruma: Gorme (Gorilla and flame)
Mamepato: Dilgeon
Meguroko: Meguroco (please?)
Munna: Drapir
Shimama: Zapra

*type into your adress bar "pokemonzoroark.com" and it leads to the English pokemon website. So yeah.

Oh, has the movie poster been confirmed real? That would be exciting ^^

Actually, I miscounted with Shell Smash; I must have managed to see each word as six characters, not five. {commits seppuku} That one won't have to change.

As for why I predicted a change for Afro Break...Chalk it up to paranoia about Unfortunate Implications (blaxploitation, anyone?).

They might as well change the sprite and design of the Pokemon if it were that. I don't find anything offensive about Afro-break. It's just a hairstyle.

yeah because other races can't have afros either..

Was that Sarcasm? It's sort of hard to tell :p

But anyway, the afro is a big part of it's design. It'd be stupid to change it because of Unfortunate implications. You might as well run with what you have.

I have an idea for Meraruba, which apparently nobody has romanized. One romanization could be Melarva, Melt + larva.

I have an idea for Meraruba, which apparently nobody has romanized. One romanization could be Melarva, Melt + larva.
I proposed a romanization some time ago, but apparently nobody paid attention. But the word "Melt" didn't cross my mind. I only thought of Mera + Larva = Melarva.

On another note, this week, someone - can't remember who - thought of "Centisteed" for Pendra. I have to say it's an awesome name.

Back
Top Bottom