• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mega Evolution

What is your favorite Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Just finished a run of X, and I used Mega Ampharos on my team. I caught a Modest Mareep, so I guess that helped. But Mega Ampharos is such a wrecking ball. Don't let the perfect hair fool, it's a complete monster.

I'll probably create a list of Pokemon I thought would have received Megas/Pokemon I'd to receive Megas sometime soon.

Heatmor should get a Mega. It's very mediocre as it is. It should be Fire/Steel and regular Heatmor should get access to moves Bullet Punch, Flash Cannon and Meteor Mash (like how regular Ampharos now gets Dragon Pulse to use as its Dragon Mega). They should also give Heatmor Slack Off as an egg move.

I'm not really sure which existing ability would suit it best. Some of the existing ones that stood out as ideas most were: Adaptability, Bulletproof, Contrary, Filter, Intimidate, Iron Fist, Motor Drive, No Guard, Sheer Force, Tough Claws, Unaware or Volt Absorb. But again, not really sure which would be best and I guess there's also chance for them to make a custom ability for it, like Aerilate with Mega Pinsir. But I am very much in support of Heatmor getting one that makes it much more useful!

The stat increases for it should be spread mostly to its Defence and Sp.Def, with its Attack and Sp.Atk getting the smaller increases. Speed would decrease (like Ampharos and Abomasnow after Mega Evolving).

Heatmor: 85 HP / 97 Atk / 66 Def / 105 Sp.Atk / 66 Sp.Def / 65 Speed
Mega Heatmor: 85 HP / 117 Atk / 106 Def / 125 Sp.Atk / 106 Sp.Def / 45 Speed

Something like that?

Edit: Just realised those stats are similar to Heatran's except higher Attack and lower Speed. Oh well. :I

Last edited:
As well as rumours of a Mega Deoxys, I can see a Mega Heatran.

Especially since the people mentioning that there's apparently a Lava Dome Pokemon in one of Lumiose's Plazas, and Volcanion is apparently the Steam Pokemon.

Obviously absol should be a dark/flying type! look at those wings!

359-1.png

View attachment 92598

Those aren't wings. They are fur stuck up in a way that resembles wings, probably to make it look like an 'Angel of Death'.

I think all of the Eeveelutions should've got Mega Evolutions.

Mega Vaporeon-Water-Storm Drain-130/85/80/130/115/85

Mega Jolteon-Electric-Motor Drive-65/85/80/130/115/150

Mega Flareon-Fire-Flash Fire-65/150/80/115/130/85

Mega Espeon-Psychic-Magic Bounce-65/85/80/150/115/130

Mega Umbreon-Dark-Magic Guard-95/85/130/80/150/85

Mega Leafeon-Grass-Chlorophyll-65/130/150/80/85/115

Mega Glaceon-Ice-Ice Body-65/80/130/150/115/85

Mega Sylveon-Fairy-Serene Grace-95/85/85/130/150/80

Those aren't wings. They are fur stuck up in a way that resembles wings, probably to make it look like an 'Angel of Death'.
Hello? Absol doesn't bring the disaster, it just warns/alerts people about it. Doesn't have an evil streak in its entire body.

Either Motor Drive or Lightningrod would serve Jolteon better than its hidden ability (Quick Feet), considering Electrics are officially immune to Paralysis now.

Sylveon couldn't have gotten one, since it's a Kalosmon, but I do want to see all of them get one in the future. Of your suggestions, I'd like to see Flareon, Espeon, Glaceon, and Leafeon to get new or different abilities that could be a bit more useful for them. And I think Pixilate might be better for Sylveon than Serene Grace. Magic Guard on Umbreon would be awesome~

Make-A-Mega

Which types of Mega forms would you like to see? How would they differ from their normal self? What would they look like?

Pkmn: Mega Smeargle

Stats: Unchanged (in starter form)

Appearance: Taller and thinner, the fur on the lower body looks shaggier and black (like pants) as well as the "hat" hair coloring to black. It's body is covered in splattered paint and several black designs go upward from the "pants" depicting shadows of several other pokemon.

Ability: All For One
Smeargles type, appearance and stats change at the start of the turn based on what move was used. Each move has one of three random pokemon of that type chosen to transform into. Smeargle a ability does not change, just its appearance, stats and type.

Unique: The move Transform uses the shiny sprite of the target. This is just a fun bonus, as Transform would actually be rather useless on Mega Smeargle.

View attachment 92598

Oh i agree with the eeveelutions but those look alot like wings

Also Ampharos gets its hair by a mareep

Look at 0:27
But 0:14 is also a possibility
If you watch dragon ball series look at 0:53

[video=youtube;YUxqnicxVNI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUxqnicxVNI[/video]

This explains how ampharos gets its hair, has dragon balls in its tail, has the face of mercy, and his hair is A WIG!
Also ampharos looks like a god, attracts girls and is good at playing guitar ALL FOUND IN THIS VIDEO!

after the video the 1st one in the corner is Pokemon Origins English Dub!
Why include this in the mega forum? it takes place in RED and at the end with charizard vs. mewtwo the stones the old mane gave were mega stones and charizard MEGA EVOLVED INTO CHARIZARD-X!

Imagine if you could actully mega evolve in red with 1st gen pokemon! :O

Last edited:
Can't wait for Gallade to have a Mega Evolution. I somehow picture it as having one arm more sword-like and the other shield-like (think Sado Yasutora from Bleach).

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't want to see Mega Eeveelutions.

One last thing i would like to post is 10 reasons why charizard-x is better then charizard y!

1: Stealth Rock. Might not be as good as it was before, with Defog being upgraded, but if you can megavolve before rocks come up, you can switch it in like Salamence last gen. It's still not great, but it's useable.

2: Orientation. Physical Fire types are worth their weight in gold. Immunity to Will-o-Wisp mainly, but this one sets himself apart from the mediocre competition of Arcanine and Darmanitan with much better stats, and typing. Oh yes, and he can provide a special move off an overlooked 130 base Sp Attack too. Charizard-Y can only go special, and this is similar to the majority of Fire types (Heatran, Volcarona)

3: Ability. Before you start whining about Drought, go back to gen 5 and masturbate over your weather wars. It's over now. Get over yourself. While admittedly Drought does whack his firepower (pun intended) up considerably, plenty of pokemon can still take a Fire Blast. Drought basically replaces the Specs he can't hold, and doesn't boost other moves. Tough Claws however boosts Charizard-X's main offensive moves (even EQ is basically a coverage move) - Fire Punch/ Flare Blitz and Dragon Claw.

4: Coverage. Ok, I concede, Charizard-Y does get Fire Blast + Dragon Pulse. BUT... Dragon Pulse just isn't enough to hack it nowadays, it's Draco Meteor or pathetic tickling attacks. It's taken a power drop, the Fairy type exists and it was at best average last gen. Any bulky water laughs in your face. However, Charizard-X gets this same coverage, plus Earthquake for Heatran, at 120+ power values (Fire Punch and Dragon Claw).

5: Versatility. Charizard-Y is one of the most predictable pokemon in the game, bar Wobbuffet and a few others. It's made to spam Fire Blast and nothing else. Charizard-X has a wider movepool, with even gimmicky options like being perfectly viable. He can run Dragon Dance, Swords Dance or
Belly Drum if you're a nut job due to his crazy coverage, or just attack from the off with very high power. He can also run a special move over Earthquake if you're desperate to beat Cloyster or whatever.

6: Appearance. No, I'm not running out of ideas. Charizard-X looks like nothing ever created before. He's more badass-looking than Salamence. Yeah, you heard me. Charizard-Y just looks like a spiky equivalent of the original. Charizard-X is so awesome he burns without producing impurities, so he's relatively eco-friendly, whereas Charizard-Y's flame is full of burning particulates because he's a twat.

7: Typing. Offensively and defensively, Fire/Dragon beats Fire/Flying. No questions asked. Defense is the interesting one - Look at this scene: You DD on a Rotom-W switch in. Second turn you Megavolve and DD again. Rotom can't do jack shit bar the rare Thunderwave. Charizard-Y can't do a thing to it, and it's weak to both it's STAB moves. You can also hold the megavolve off to avoid an EQ if someone knows what you're running (IE Frisk), then obliterate them next turn.

8: Stats. Charizard-X's stats fit it's role slightly better, but it can do more with what it has. Kangaskhan's Power Punch, even after a boost, simply tickles it. Ok, that's exaggerating a little, but all his stats bar HP are above average. Charizard-Y only really has his Sp Attack. It's good, but not as easily abused (in terms of usefulness, it's easier to click a coverage move, but Charizard-X can be used more easily by skilled players). Speed is the same on both pokemon, as it was on the original, but Charizard-X gets Dragon Dance, whereas all Charizard-Y can do is Flame Charge, wasting a vital turn's Sunlight.

9: Competition for a teamslot. If you want a Fire nuke, then you can also turn to Arcanine, Darmanitan, Heatran or Victini. Desperate for a bit more speed and a Special set and Volcarona can set up both main stats unlike Charizard-Y. Nothing however can boast the abilities Charizard-X has - He isn't weak to Ice Shard, he doesn't need to rely on Outrage due to Dragon Claw's power boost (Roughly 107 after the boost if my mental maths is good, not factoring in STAB). He's got better STAB coverage than every other physical dragon and better defensive stats than everything bar Dragonite and Goodra.

10: Presence of counters. Name me some pokemon that can stop Charizard-X after a DD with rocks up. I can assure you that nothing bar Slowbro can take the appropriate move after a second DD (brownie points for a counter, that isn't listed and can beat it 1-on-1, with a standard set. Don't use Air Balloon Heatran because it's single use). It's relatively easy to set up two because most opponents expect Fire Blast, switch in Blissey or whatever, and you DD and megavolve and they need to rethink their strategy quickly. However, nukes from Charizard-Y are dealt with by Heatran, Slowking, and Jellicent, among others, and he can't do much else.

so there you go! 10 reasons i have found in X! So see my next mega post soon!

I'm hoping for more mega starters in the future. Especially for the Johto and Unova starters since they got the short end of the stick for starters. I'm also hoping for mega evos for more 4 gen pokemon and mega evos for 5 gen pokemon.

Mega Eeveelutions would be pretty cool I think to see. If they did get Mega formes, I think it should apply to all of them at some point instead of just a few of them. I can imagine Vaporeon and Umbreon's Megas turning out really cool, though I can't really imagine the others as Megas so far.

@Shiny Glaceon;
but Charizard-X gets Dragon Dance, whereas all Charizard-Y can do is Flame Charge, wasting a vital turn's Sunlight.

You realize they have the exact same movepool. Honestly, if you were going to waste a slot on Flame Charge, just use Dragon Dance and attempt to be a mix sweeper, which it can do better since it has a massive 159 SAtk, meaning it can literally invest nothing in SAtk and still hit harder than Charizard-X who tries to split between both stats. And of course, everyone thinks its so predictable that it can lure and decimate special walls like Blissey and Chansey (think of it as a similar case to Aegislash; it has a very predictable strategy but its actually more versatile than given credit for).

Also, your analysis favors Singles 6-on-6 battle styles from the looks of it, entry hazards are a non-issue in things like Rotation battles, and given that strategies like Gravity and Trick Room are more easily played in that style, weather could probably still dominate there.

And then there's the fact you're basically pitting Pokemon who play completely different roles simply because they are both Charizard, rather than how they could fit on a team, or analyzing how well they do their jobs in comparison to other Pokemon with similar roles.

Charizard-X, undoubtedly has superior coverage, gaining both Dragon and Fire STAB while being immune to burn, but its in competition with other top-tier dragons that, quite frankly, don't need to Mega Evolve to remain relevant in the OU metagame. Kind of hard to justify wasting your Mega slot for something when other Pokemon can equal or even surpass it without wasting a Mega slot unless you really like Charizard X, but if you're indifferent and simply looking for a role to fill, there may be better options.

Charizard-Y, on the other hand blows Ninetales out of the water in terms of being the sun starter of choice. Even without the weather wars being prominent, Mega Evolution means it will always set the weather compared to other weather-changers who aren't Mega-Evolving (basically Tyranitar? Since I think its the only one that's still good without evolving). It also boasts a much larger SAtk than Nintales so there's that. Oh, and there's also doubling as a lure for Chansey/Blissey only to get hit by a sun boosted Flare Blitz.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom