• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Most Useless Game Feature?

I'm honestly surprised they still have the Withdraw and Deposit functions at this point. You'd think with all of the streamlining they've been doing they'd have gotten around to this.

Amazingly, they actually *did* do something about those in ORAS - you now have the option to put the Organize button at the top. But you have to meet Lanette at her house first.

I'm uh... I'm guessing that there wasn't a whole lot of consideration for muscle memory put in there.

Last edited:
A lot have been said in here. I'd go with the Xtransceiver on the first BW. Or Mail...

Speaking of 5th gen communication features, 5th gen definitely wins the prize for most useless regional gadget. The C Gear doesn't really do much of interest, and whatever it does, the PSS does better.

I'm glad they made the Xtransceiver less useless in BW2 because I became obsessed with calling Yancy. I didn't even care about the trades, she was waifu material. Bulbapedia only having 50 of the calls dissapoints me because I went way further than 50 and saw some that weren't on there.

Musicals. They reminded me of Contests, except that I could never become engaged with it. At all. Unless I was missing something...

I'm honestly surprised they still have the Withdraw and Deposit functions at this point. You'd think with all of the streamlining they've been doing they'd have gotten around to this.

Amazingly, they actually *did* do something about those in ORAS - you now have the option to put the Organize button at the top. But you have to meet Lanette at her house first.

I'm uh... I'm guessing that there wasn't a whole lot of consideration for muscle memory put in there.

Actually, I do use the Deposit button a lot in Y version when I'm breeding. After checking for shinies or IVs, I just repeatedly press the A button to deposit the babies before getting new eggs. A teensy bit more faster than bring out the tabloid pen to drag the mons when you don't need it during breeding.

I agree musicals being useless since they were rather bland compared to the contests and movies. The only things I liked were the downloadable songs such as the Ludicolo Hoenn musical remix and Meloetta Relic Song musical remix.

Task: Musicals. So useless they weren't given importance in the anime. And Voltorb Flip for obvious reasons.

Gadget: C-Gear. Though that is mostly because I had wifi issues during gen 5. The original Pokenav is a close second though.

Sky Battles - Every type of battle has some different mechanics: Singles is a one on one battle, Doubles is a two on two battle and it has some moves that only work in it (like Helping Hand), Triples is a three on three battle and the spot your pokemon is actually matters and Rotation is a one on one battle but you see three of the opponent's pokemon on the field at the same time and switching doesn't actually take a turn. Sky Battles on the other hand is literally a Single Battle, but with less choice of moves and pokemon, it's completely useless even on the mechanics side, just because it doesn't play different at all from a Single Battle. You can literally do a Sky Battle on a Single Battle.

Musicals - This is without a doubt the most useless side activity ever. They literally took out my least favourite part about the Sinnoh Super Contests and made it into a full side activity. There's no strategy or thought in this - you dress your pokemon, they dance and it's over.

Last edited:
Musicals - This is without a doubt the most useless side activity ever. They literally took out my least favourite part about the Sinnoh Super Contests and made it into a full side activity. There's no strategy or thought in this - you dress your pokemon, they dance and it's over.

I liked the musicals more than the visual round of the contest for two things: no time limit, and the items actually interact with the pokemon's anatomy rather than throwing them on willy-nilly. For contests I just grab whatever i can in those 60 seconds and the result is usually a mess. The musicals were fun to spin out my friends with a 'WTF did i just see?' moment, and there really is a strategy there, about when to use the held accessories. I actually did collect all the accessories, and i would have done it all over again in B2 but then i Unova linked and got all of them with the memory, so it's like my achievement carried over into my second game, which was pretty nice.

I don't like anything that is on a time limit. So for me, the most useless aspect of the games is all the downloadable crap that was never available to me, because i started the games after the events ended. (Even if i hadn't i still don't understand how it's supposed to work.)

The wi-fi stuff is beyond me. How GF believes that taking an azure flute to Spear pillar and selecting 'use' is too complicated, yet setting up wi-fi connection and all the weird extras that go with it is not (like dream world), i'll never know. (That's why i call BS on the Arceus/azure flute being not released reason.)

Also, other than what's already been mentioned, White forest/Black city in BW(1). They were terrible and the updates in BW2 were so needed. Then there's that stupid Entree i visited it once because my flatmate showed me how and I can't even remember how to do it again. It did nothing we tried to link and it just did nothing. I don't know why it exists.

EDIT: One more thing i just remembered. The feelings check. Wow that was stupid. No wonder most people are bad-mouthing the C gear.

I actually did collect all the accessories, and i would have done it all over again in B2 but then i Unova linked and got all of them with the memory, so it's like my achievement carried over into my second game, which was pretty nice.

Same xD

I liked you'd have a load of minions praising you each time you did one and gave you free shit.

Or am I thinking of movies?

either way I as also disssapointed all my props moved over, since I'd already gotten them all making them useless for BW2 for me.

There is just one that almost everybody neglected, where you may not "see" it directly with your eyes, but it does exist in there. Not only it is useless, but super annoying and irritating when you get to it.

Which is...... NAMING CENSOR!!!

WTF and Why the F*** GF implanted this thing into the game? It just made my creative Pokemon name went into the drain, and wasting my time thinking of something else I don't like my Pokemon to be called.

NAMING CENSOR!!!

TRUE! And sometimes it's a real annoyance as I can't name my Houndoom Ishtar due to naming censor, so I had to name her Ish'tar. And I had an Escavalier named Asuka and when I transferred her from B2 to Y, the name was reset. Now I can't rename her either... I understand if they censored swearing words, but this is ridiculous!

I agree on sky battles as well, it was nice for having variety in battles, but what if you had that one little Fly-slave in your team and he was around lvl 20 - then someone with lvl ~ 45 Pokemon challenges you into a sky battle, but your only eligible Pokemon is that lvl 20 one. ":D" Great, just damn great...

Not being able to rename Pokemon if they are from a trade.
Considering you can do worse to a traded Pokemon (release it) so I don't see their reason of 'Their original trainer put a lot of thought into it' when you get a Pokemon on wonder trade with:
-No nickname
-'fghjytg'
-'Q13625www'
-'Gay Thoughts' or 'Your mom'

At least the naming censor isn't as bad as it was in Dragon Quest Monsters. People complained so they finally had to remove it (or at least change it). You always had to nickname your monsters and the censor could sometimes prevent you from naming your monster after the species name. The name could not contain words such as 'dark', 'night' or 'black', but I could name my monster 'dork'. Bonkers was also forbidden, so I had to use Bonkerz instead.

I have encountered the naming censor in Pokemon once, when I was going to use a Japanese name in an English game. The name was Kakureon. It would be better if the names were censored online instead, either replaced by the species name or with ***.

One useless thing, which isn't about censors, is that you cannot nickname traded Pokemon without nicknames. I can understand if a Pokemon is supposed to keep the name from its original Trainer, and I think this is good. But there are people who don't care about nicknaming their Pokemon, and once traded they will never get a unique name.

The musicals were fun to spin out my friends with a 'WTF did i just see?' moment, and there really is a strategy there, about when to use the held accessories. I actually did collect all the accessories, and i would have done it all over again in B2 but then i Unova linked and got all of them with the memory, so it's like my achievement carried over into my second game, which was pretty nice.

I ended up dressing Cofagrigus/Reshiram/Zekrom as Santa Claus or something equally ridiculous, and I just couldn't help laughing. Or Smugleaf with a top hat and a cane. Yes, the Musical was a lot of fun. Adding to this was the reference to New York City's Broadway, so I say this wasn't pointless at all.

Now, as for the censorship, to heck with those parents that fret with words that has the slightest innuendo. At least limit the censorship to the games files with child protection activated/locked-in.

If a parent is worried about their child receiving or encountering something with a bad thing there's a magical thing called: Don't let your child on the internet. Easiest way to avoid nasties and worked wonders for me and did me no harm.

I don't even understand the censor system Pokemon as I can get very much so away with British swears :3

Walking Pokemon and the locked difficulty options of BW2. (Yay, unpopular opinions!)

The censor system needs improvement really bad. I find it a little ridiculous an English version censors "Violet" just because it has a French cuss word in it, because how would people really even know that?
O-Powers are pretty useless in my opinion. Throughout the entirety of Y and Omega Ruby, I've never used O-Powers, not even once.

Just have the considered ones be defaulted if you use it online

The censor system needs improvement really bad. I find it a little ridiculous an English version censors "Violet" just because it has a French cuss word in it, because how would people really even know that?
O-Powers are pretty useless in my opinion. Throughout the entirety of Y and Omega Ruby, I've never used O-Powers, not even once.

Hatching O Power is useful though

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom