• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mystery Dungeon: Black and White

Would you like a 3rd Mystery Dungeon Series?

• Total voters

Ivysaur

SoFloFoSho
Reaction score
The Mystery Dungeon series is one of the most popular spin-off series, and one of the relatively few that have actually expanded beyond the first game, and since then, the series has spanned a sequel, a revamp of that sequel, and three WiiWare editions. The next games in the series would logically feature the new Pokemon from the new Black and White versions.

If these sequels were made, would you purchase them? What kind of improvements would you like to see? Would you like Chunsoft to continue the strong focus on the story, or should the plot take a backseat to the gameplay, which would be revamped in these new installments?

I like the gameplay just fine. What keeps me gripped in the Mystery Dungeon series is the plot. If a PMD: Black and White comes out, I'd love to see the plot of it, as well as other gameplay things.

Of course, certain move graphics could use improvement. A lot of Gen. IV moves thad their graphics lazily reconstructed from the main games.

We definitely need a plot. One of the great things about the PMD plots is the lack of any human presence, so the plot can head in directions the main games can't.
Individualized gameplay based on the player Pokemon's type might be an interesting way to go. The replay value is already high with randomly-spawning dungeons. That's a big part of why it's so addicting.
I'm definitely going to get PMD: Black/White if/when it comes out. In fact, I haven't ever played any of the main games, but Black/White looks so interesting I may just try that out too.

--"What Is" Jack

Oh hell yes, Id get it! The story of PMD is definately more important than the gameplay. Always has been.
One thing Id like to see change is to be able to change who you play as. In Red, you could walk around the town as a Kakuna if you wanted to. I dont wanna see my Ivysaur all the time. Id also like newer move animations. All pre-Gen IV moves had Gen III animations. Thats kinda lazy. And it would be really nice if they didnt drag legendaries into the plot like they did in PMD 2.

I would absolutely adore having a B/W version of PMD. All the new items and Pokémon could be introduced. <3

I'm pretty sure Nintendo/GameFreak wouldn't let pass an opportunity to make more money from the Gen 5 Pokémon using a successful spin-off like Mystery Dungeon. They will probably release it with the 3DS. Hopefully its as good as the previous ones!

Of course. I hope they'll bring back resue teams, rather than explorers though. I like things revolving about rescuing better, it's nobler.

Plus no guild. I didn't like the guild you had in time/darkness.

Of course. I hope they'll bring back resue teams, rather than explorers though. I like things revolving about rescuing better, it's nobler.

That's how I felt too. But it was kind of cute the way my Torchic partner obsessed over Indiana Jones-style archaeology.

The justification for battling enemies in dungeons was much clearer in Red/Blue than in T/D/S; it made more sense that Pokemon were turning violent because of imminent natural disasters messing with their brains rather than turning into petty crooks because "time is out of whack".

That being said, I really appreciated the variety of missions we could choose in T/D/S. They solidified item-based missions and tours that were separate from "meeting up".
The guild was pretty cumbersome, too.

--Jack

The justification for battling enemies in dungeons was much clearer in Red/Blue than in T/D/S; it made more sense that Pokemon were turning violent because of imminent natural disasters messing with their brains rather than turning into petty crooks because "time is out of whack".

--Jack

I agree, them going crazy and becoming thieves (In EoT, EoD, and EoS) honestly really doesn't have anything to do with the reasoning they gave.
The Red/Blue answer was better, that they were going crazy because of the earthquakes and such.

Anyway, I would love a Mystery Dungeon game for Black and White, it would be great if Pokémon such as Hitoshomi, Meguroko, Mogurew, Kibago, and of course, any other Pokémon they would like to add in.

Also, I would also like to see more of a 'shopping center', with merchants that come around each day (That would use the DS's internal clock) with different items, some which you may not be able to buy in the Keckleon Shop in the game, or they could sell the Seeds (Reviver, for example).

Oh, if they're gonna make a b/w dungeon (which they probably will), I really hope they're not gonna pull a sky, and just add all pokémon immediatly into the first one.

MD:BW would be real awesome indeed. D8 Keep the guild idea, though, I loved it. I think the 'petty crook because time is out of whack' makes sense to me. If YOU had a mischievous heart, wouldn't you take advantage of time going nutsy?

While I loved the guild, what I would love in a sequel is total isolation. Anyone remember how in the original Dungeon, at one point, you and your partner became fugitives? I would love it if you and your partner, after a certain sting of events, would have to overcome dungeons and enemies without the help of anyone else. And you'd have no place to call home. You know, not for the entirety of the game, but for a good portion.

While I loved the guild, what I would love in a sequel is total isolation. Anyone remember how in the original Dungeon, at one point, you and your partner became fugitives? I would love it if you and your partner, after a certain sting of events, would have to overcome dungeons and enemies without the help of anyone else. And you'd have no place to call home. You know, not for the entirety of the game, but for a good portion.

It makes sense that this would be a likely part of the plot.
Like when we had the part with the Future in T/D/S.
Something that takes the player and partner out of their "world" and makes them survive on wits and tenacity alone. However, nothing too relentless. I still have bad memories of trudging onward with Grovyle and Dusknoir with no respite from dungeon after dungeon...

--"What Is" Jack

I wouldn't mind another mystery dungeon game.

New starters will include the Isshu starters obviously, probably Chillarmy and Kibago, and some new additions for older generations (Hoping for Trapinch and Marill personally)

Mystery Dungeon 4 (Sky is 2.5)

They must release it, and soon! I love parts of MD's stories even more than the main games'.

Who knows? If it's the first Pokémon game on the 3DS, they might boost the graphics and gameplay for a change. Not to complain, but Bullet Seed is broken.

Id gladly buy this game I loved the other mystery duegon games.

I think a Generation V MD would be perfect.

Gameplay works but I think a graphical upgrade needs to happen. The attack animations in PMD II were really bland.

I briefly played with the idea that you could "hire" mercenaries (for lack of a better) term from your guild or something if none of your "permanent" team members were up to the task.

And yes, I would like more variety in missions.

And can they please take advantage of the internal clock.

I've never played any of the others, but you never know. I might pick one of these (if they happen) up. I've kinda read up on the plots of the past games, and I'm impressed on how deep the plots are. If I did buy one, it would be for the plot. That's something you don't get with the main games, which are the only games I play from Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom