• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

New Manga to serialize in Shonen Sunday: New Pokémon manga to target older audience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Manga to serialize in Shonen Sunday: New Pokémon manga to target older audien

I have no idea what you're even trying to say.

As I just said, there's like 3 countries in the world that call this series "Case Closed", and a couple dozen of them that call it "Detective Conan" or something similar.
The line is as accurate as saying "Pokemon" is called "Pocket Monsters" outside the US.
What I'm saying is, in all the English translations of Detective Conan, the title "Case Closed" is used (I can understand in America, to keep it consistant with the FUNimation dub, but elsewhere? Meh). Bulbapedia is an English wiki, and thus, is only used by English speaking people; so it shouldn't be that much of a big deal. Obviously, "In English Speaking Countries" would have been more accurate, but it's not like it's a wrong point either, considering that to almost all bulbapedia visitors, the series will be called "Case Closed" where they are.

Also, "Pokémon" is still called "Pokémon" in Japan too. Look at Pokémon Center stores, even the new Generation V game logos have "Pokémon" written in English.

Also Cohen, this is "Weekly Shonen Sunday" NOT "Weekly Shonen Jump". Shonen Jump has a younger target audience (albeit, only by about 2-4 years), but younger nonetheless.

Re: New Manga to serialize in Shonen Sunday: New Pokémon manga to target older audien

Even though it's got Zekrom on the cover, I'd say it will probably be a more original story, given the cast of new characters in that one pic.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but I assume these characters will likely stay past BW...as in, this new guy is the manga equivalent of Ash, a non-game character who can be kept past the expiration of the BW series into future series. If this does well, I can see this perhaps becoming a long-runner.

Btw, any word on who's doing it? A big name, or a new guy?

Ryu Shoji said:
Also, "Pokémon" is still called "Pokémon" in Japan too.

As a general concept, yes. But the names of the main series games and the TV series have always been "Pocket Monsters." Not "Pokemon."

new-manga-2.jpg

Aside from the typical GameFreak copyright stuff, is there anything new at the bottom? Normally, I'd expect the work to be listed as copyrighted to the artist as well.

I have to say, in the colour picture, the protagonist looks bleh, but in the blue and white...he looks cool.

As for continuing on beyond Black and White, I'd say for now TPC would only do that if the series turns out to be popular.

Well, I mean, I can kind of see, if they're going for an original story, not exactly obeying new game releases in terms of a new region, but introducing new Pokemon as they're released into the plot.

Also, I noticed, apart from the main character, there appear to be eight people around him. Eight Gym Leaders?

Ryu Shoji said:
Aside from the typical GameFreak copyright stuff, is there anything new at the bottom?

Unfortunately not. Just the standard Nintendo / Creatures / Game Freak stuff.

Japanese publications don't really list the title of the series in the copyright notices the way American publications do.

Why can't any author try to expand the Pokemon World rather than adapt games? That's not to say I'm prejudging any series, but this really bugs me when it comes to Pokemon manga. The only effort that seems possible to be taking place in the games' continuity is Kagemaru Himeno's 'How I Became a Pokemon Card'; logically enough, given that it's by a TCG artist. Maybe Miho Asada's series too, although we don't have enough material for his first work, so...
My thoughts on most Pokemon manga as well :/

I hope they don't just assume "darker and edgier" = mature audience. It's so easy to make that concept childish.

Unfortunately not. Just the standard Nintendo / Creatures / Game Freak stuff.

Japanese publications don't really list the title of the series in the copyright notices the way American publications do.
Hmm...I guess we'll just have to wait for an official announcement then. Hopefully then, we'll also at least know the title.

Sorry for being so 5th gen dumb, but what is the silluoet behind that kid on the cover on that one poster a couple of posts above?

11011619100631bb54a88c8.jpg

Looks good

I can't wait

What the hell is that behind him?

Sorry for being so 5th gen dumb, but what is the silluoet behind that kid on the cover on that one poster a couple of posts above?

It's not a Pokemon, that's for sure

I hope they don't just assume "darker and edgier" = mature audience. It's so easy to make that concept childish.

This is true. Complexity of characters, character development, and fully exploring a cast and world is what makes a series mature, not darkness.

It looks like a Zekrom to me.

Are you sure? Even with a few people saying that I still can't see it. Is it the way it's angled?

Are you sure? Even with a few people saying that I still can't see it. Is it the way it's angled?
Dunno, it's red eyes and the head really make it seem to look like Zekrom. Besides, this is yet another manga based on BW.

Dunno, it's red eyes and the head really make it seem to look like Zekrom. Besides, this is yet another manga based on BW.

I looked and saw some similarities, but I still don't think it's Zekrom

I think it might be a villain, not a Pokemon...

It's probably Zekrom. It just looks smaller as the main guy is more forward.

This looks cool....I like the character design

I hope someone picks this up for scanlation, because I can't see Nintendo allowing Viz to release a Teen-rated Pokemon manga anytime soon. Damn Animation Age Ghetto.

Come on, Shonen Jump is meant for 11-14 year old, that isn't that high. All the Yugioh manga has premiered in a Jump title, so I don't see why Pokemon being in one (even if not something new, assume so as the article says so) would really make such a difference.

Once Pokemon makes the cover of a jump, let me know.

Shonen Jump is meant for 13-19 year-olds. Christ Cohen we're cool n' everythin' but you cannot just wait to make pokemon look bad n talk down to it at every turn n talk bout' how you think Yu gi oh better can you? Pokemon is makin' the 10 top high rated ratings shows n japan every week when the last time Yu-gi got on the list.

I have no clue what the one Pokemon is supposed to be, and while alot of people say Zekrom, most of the details from what I can point out barely match Zekrom at all, save for the possible horn which matchs the one on the back of Zekrom's head and the eyes, but I don't really think that's Zekrom at all..... IF it isn't Zekrom, it's possibly a 6th Gen Pokemon, simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom