• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Nintendo Magazine reveals new English names: More names from the unconfirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official Nintendo Magazine reveals new English names: More names from the unconfi

Well so much for the attack names staying consistent with the original translations. "Struggle Bug" sounds very... How should I say it, childish? Sorry to say, but I prefer "Insect Opposition."

"Drill Run" also appears to make little sense with "Drill Liner," either.

A few more of the "names" may have been confirmed by a legitimate source, but I am a skeptic. I will wait for the utmost confirmation to see if the entire list is correct.

Re: Official Nintendo Magazine reveals new English names: More names from the unconfi

List is real? Cool.

I agree, Excadrill sounds awesome. I was confused about Alomomola, but after I read the name origin on the 'pedia, I understood it better. Though, I still don't know where the 'alo' part comes from.

Geez you people, spiting the localization team because the names aren't to your liking at all. Its just a Video Game folks, not the second coming of Christ. Deal with it.

Also, not surprised the list is correct. Everything seemed to point to that direction since the start.

He's right they are just names. These people work really hard to come up with the names. You dont have to like them, Last time I checked the Nicknaming feature still exists in B/W. Have at it.

I guess this just might mean that the list IS real. If so, then YES. Finally, NoA is making Pokemon names more punny than just simple combinations of words. <3 (Can't wait until Throh, Sawk, Foongus/Amoonguss, and Elgyem/Beeheeyem are confirmed :3)

Struggle Bug? What's up with that name?

Well, it IS a horrible move, anyway. No need to fret.

Yeah,confirmation is good.

: )

Much like in the last thread, I'm going to dump the list of the IPA pronunciations that I think will be attached to the names. We will not know for certain until the dub comes out, so I could be completely wrong on any or all of these. If you feel a potential pronunciation is left out, feel free to point it out, but please do not react like a whiny brat.

In instances where multiple pronunciations exist, it is a location where I think both could be plausible.

494 Victini /ˈvɪk.tini/
495 Snivy /snaɪvi/
496 Servine /sɝvaɪn/
497 Serperior /sɝpɪriɚ/
498 Tepig /ˈtɛpɪg/
499 Pignite /pɪɡnaɪt/
500 Emboar /ˈɛm.bɔɹ/
501 Oshawott /ˈoʊʃəwɑt/?
502 Dewott /djuwɑt/, /duwɑt/
503 Samurott /sæmərɑt/
504 Patrat /pəˈtræt/, /pætræt/
505 Watchog /wɒtʃɔɡ/
506 Lillipup /ˌlɪlɪˈpʊp/
507 Herdier /hərdɛriər/
508 Stoutland /staʊtlənd/, /-lænd/
509 Purrloin /pərˈlɔɪn/
510 Liepard /laɪpərd/
511 Pansage /pænseɪdʒ/
512 Simisage /ˈsɪmiseɪdʒ/
513 Pansear /pænsɪər/
514 Simisear /ˈsɪmisɪər/
515 Panpour /pænpɔr/, /-poʊr/
516 Simipour /ˈsɪmipɔr/, /-poʊr/
517 Munna /mʊnə/, /munə/
518 Musharna /muʃɑrnə/
519 Pidove /pɪdʌv/
520 Tranquill /ˈtræŋkwɪl/
521 Unfezant /ʌnˈfɛzənt/
522 Blitzle /ˈblɪtsəl/, /ˈblɪtzəl/
523 Zebstrika /zɛbˈstraɪkə/
524 Roggenrola /ˈrɒgənˈroʊlə/
525 Boldore /boʊldɔr/
526 Gigalith /gɪgəlɪθ/
527 Woobat /wubæt/
528 Swoobat /swubæt/
529 Drilbur /drɪlbɜr/
530 Excadrill /ˈɛkskədrɪl/
531 Audino /ˈɔdiˌnoʊ/
532 Timburr /ˈtɪmbər/
533 Gurdurr /ˈgərdər/
534 Conkeldurr /ˈkɒŋkəldər/
535 Tympole /ˈtɪmpoʊl/
536 Palpitoad /ˈpælpɪˌtoʊd/
537 Seismitoad /ˈsaɪzmɪˌtoʊd/
538 Throh /θro/
539 Sawk /gɔk/
540 Sewaddle /soʊwɒdəl/
541 Swadloon /ˈswɒdlun/
542 Leavanny /livnæni/
543 Venipede /ˈvɛnɪˌpid/
544 Whirlipede /ˈhwɜrlɪˌpid/
545 Scolipede /ˈskolɪˌpid/
546 Cottonee /ˈkɒtəni/
547 Whimsicott /ˈhwɪmzɪkɒt/
548 Petilil /pɛtɪlɪl/, /pɛtilɪl/
549 Lilligant /ˈlɪlɪgənt/, /ˈlɪligənt/
550 Basculin /ˈbæskjəlɪn/, /ˈbæskjulɪn/
551 Sandile /ˈsændaɪl/
552 Krokorok /ˈkrɒkoˌrɒk/
553 Krookodile /ˈkrʊkoˌdaɪl/
554 Darumaka /dɑrumɑkɑ/
555 Darmanitan /dɑrmænɪtæn/
556 Maractus /məˈræktəs/
557 Dwebble /ˈdwɛbəl/
558 Crustle /ˈkrʌstəl/
559 Scraggy /ˈskrægi/
560 Scrafty /ˈskræfti/
561 Sigilyph /ˈsɪdʒɪlɪf/, /ˈsɪgɪlɪf/
562 Yamask /ˈyʌmæsk/
563 Cofagrigus /kɒfəgridʒəs/
564 Tirtouga /tɜrˈtugə/
565 Carracosta /kɑrəkoʊstə/
566 Archen /ˈɑrkɛn/
567 Archeops /ˌɑrkiˈɒps/
568 Trubbish /ˈtrʌbɪʃ/
569 Garbodor /ˌgɑrˈboʊdər/
570 Zorua /zɔruə/
571 Zoroark /zɔroɑrk/
572 Minccino /mɪnˈtʃinoʊ/
573 Cinccino /sɪnˈtʃinoʊ/
574 Gothita /gɒθˈitɑ/
575 Gothorita /gɒθɔˈritɑ/
576 Gothitelle / gɒθɪtɛl/
577 Solosis /soʊˈloʊsɪs/
578 Duosion /ˈdyuʒən/
579 Reuniclus /rijunikləs/
580 Ducklett /dʌklɪt/
581 Swanna /swɒnə/
582 Vanillite /vəˈnɪlaɪt/
583 Vanillish /vəˈnɪlɪʃ/
584 Vanilluxe /vəˈnɪlʌks/
585 Deerling /dɪərlɪŋ/
586 Sawsbuck /sɔzbʌk/
587 Emolga /imoʊlgə/
588 Karrablast /ˈkærəˌblæst/
589 Escavalier /ɛsˈkævəˌlɪər/
590 Foongus /fʊngəs/, /fungəs/
591 Amoonguss /əmʊngəs/, /əmungəs/
592 Frillish /frɪlɪʃ/
593 Jellicent /ˈdʒɛlɪsənt/
594 Alomomola /ɑloməmolə/?
595 Joltik /dʒoʊltɪk/
596 Galvantula /gælˈvæntʃələ/
597 Ferroseed /ˈfɛrəˌsid/
598 Ferrothorn /ˈfɛrəˌθɔrn/
599 Klink /klɪŋk/
600 Klang /klæŋ/
601 Klinklang /klɪŋklæŋ/
602 Tynamo /ˈtaɪnəˌmoʊ/
603 Eelektrik /ilˈɛktrɪk/
604 Eelektross /ilˈɛktrɒs/, /ilˈɛktroʊs/
605 Elgyem /ɛldʒiɛm/
606 Beheeyem /bihiɛm/
607 Litwick /lɪtwɪk/
608 Lampent /læmpɛnt/
609 Chandelure /ˌʃændəˈlʊər/
610 Axew /ˈæksu/, /ˈæksju/
611 Fraxure /ˈfræksjər/
612 Haxorus /ˌhæksˈsɔrəs
613 Cubchoo /kʌbˈtʃu/
614 Beartic /’bɑrtɪk/, /ˈbɛərtɪk/,
615 Cryogonal /ˈkraɪəˌgɒnəl/
616 Shelmet /ˈʃɛlmɪt/
617 Accelgor /æksɛlgɔr/
618 Stunfisk /stʌnfɪsk/
619 Mienfoo /miɛnfu/
620 Mienshao /miɛnʃaʊ/
621 Druddigon /ˈdrʌdɪgɒn/
622 Golett /ˈgoʊlɪt/
623 Golurk /ˈgoʊlɜrk/
624 Pawniard /ˈpɔnjərd/
625 Bisharp /ˈbɪʃɑrp/
626 Bouffalant /ˈbufəˌlɑnt/
627 Rufflet /ˈrʌflɛt/
628 Braviary /ˈbreɪviˌɛri/
629 Vullaby /ˈvʌltəbi/, /ˈvʌləˌbaɪ/
630 Mandibuzz /ˈmændəbʌz/
631 Heatmorr /ˈhitmɔr/
632 Durant /ˈdʊərænt/
633 Deino /ˈdaɪnoʊ/
634 Zweilous /ˈtsvaɪləs/, /ˈzwaɪləs/
635 Hydreigon /ˈhaɪdraɪɡɑn/
636 Larvesta /lɑrˈvɛstə/
637 Volcarona /ˈvɒlkəˌroʊnə/
638 Cobalion /ˈkoʊbɔliɒn/
639 Terrakion /ˈtɛrəkiɒn/
640 Virizion /vəˈrɪziɒn/
641 Tornadus /ˈtɔrnədəs/
642 Thundurus /ˈθʌndərəs/
643 Reshiram /rɛʃɪræm/
644 Zekrom /zɛkrɒm/
645 Landorus /ˈlændərəs/
646 Kyurem /kjurɛm/

These last three were not on the list, but we got these beforehand:

647 Keldeo /ˈkɛldioʊ/
648 Meloetta /mɛloʊɛtə/
649 Genesect /ˈdʒɛnəsɛkt/

Struggle Bug reminds me of "Snug as a bug in a rug"

I assume the other names on the list are also right.

I want to believe it too. It's more than coincidence now that this many names would be right.

I love Excadrill. I wonder why Nintendo Power hasn't given any names yet?

I want to believe it too. It's more than coincidence now that this many names would be right.

I love Excadrill. I wonder why Nintendo Power hasn't given any names yet?

They have. They confirmed the same ones IGN and the official site did.

Well if the list is true, Im gonna be very happy with the names. My prospective team all have good names! Still gonna call Dewott Futachimaru, though.
I like these names.

I like the Klink line much better than the Japanese names.
I mean, klink, klang and klinklang have a much better metal 'ring' than gearu, gigigearu and gigigigigeargiu

I do think Klink is a good name. For the people telling me to deal with it...am I not allowed to have an opinion? =/

Yes you are allowed to have an opinion.

However, people who prefer a Japanese name over an English one do have one, as well.

Yes you are allowed to have an opinion.

However, people who prefer a Japanese name over an English one do have one, as well.

I should have quoted the guy who said to deal with the english names. I simply don't like some of them. I'm not as excited about Excadrill as I should be. There are some good names like the Klink line and Darmanitan.

So the list is confirmed. I actually like some of them alot, they were more creative. I hope they keep up this level of creativity for future games

Because "Throh" and "Sawk" are very creative names...

I expected Dory to get a name change... But I don't know about Excadrill. It doesn't sound badass enough for me, especially since it's looking to be a top-tier pokemon competitively.

I don't know how they managed to trademark Excadrill - there is a company with that name.

Actually, that's ExcaDrill, and this is Excadrill...I assume the capitalization difference prevents it from being a problem, plus I believe context plays a part. A mining company and a fictional mole probably wouldn't conflict with each other.

Actually, that's ExcaDrill, and this is Excadrill...I assume the capitalization difference prevents it from being a problem, plus I believe context plays a part. A mining company and a fictional mole probably wouldn't conflict with each other.

Still, I can imagine that it would have been harder to trademark. Now that company either gets free publicity, or it gets less publicity because the search engines will eventually have Pokémon websites above theirs (currently theirs is the top result).

Also, Entralink is a company, but GF is unlikely to trademark it, whereas they trademark all the Pokémon names.

On a somewhat related note, where does the entra- in Entralink come from anyway?

Whats this 'Entralink' bizzo? Is that what the English name for the Hi-Link is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom