• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Remake Discussion (Read First Post!)

When would you like R/S/E Remakes

• Yes, this generation

Votes: 195 47.6%
  • No, I'd prefer them in Gen 6

Votes: 152 37.1%
  • No, wait till Gen 7

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • No, i dont want r/s/e remakes

Votes: 47 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this has been covered in this long thread, but it hit me recently. In the remakes, like in HG/SS you could find Sinnoh Pokemon in Kanto and Johto. Well, since Unova Pokemon are unique to Unova and are only found there, how will they do that in Hoenn for the remakes? Maybe completely ignore that all together? I can see them doing that.

Since RSEmakes will likely be able to directly trade with BW (assuming they keep RSEmakes part of gen V) they'd probably leave Unova 'mons out of the games, and let players trade for them. At least that's my theory. :/

I'm not sure if this has been covered in this long thread, but it hit me recently. In the remakes, like in HG/SS you could find Sinnoh Pokemon in Kanto and Johto. Well, since Unova Pokemon are unique to Unova and are only found there, how will they do that in Hoenn for the remakes? Maybe completely ignore that all together? I can see them doing that.

maybe the person who'd give you one could be a person from Unova?

Expanded Unova themed Safari Zone? (unlocked by postgame, of course, otherwise you get the normal Safari Zone)

Expanded Unova themed Safari Zone? (unlocked by postgame, of course, otherwise you get the normal Safari Zone)

I like this idea! :) Or maybe the Safari Zone stocks 'mons from Unova on, say, Tuesdays and Thursdays? (post-game, of course)

Like:
Monday-Normal selection
Tuesday-Unova 'mons
Wednesday-Normal Selection
Thursday-Unova again,, with a 5% chance of DW abilities
Friday-Sinnoh 'mons
Saturday-Normal selection, with a 5% chance of DW abilities
Sunday-Sinnoh 'mons, with a 5% chance of DW abilities

...or something. I'm tired and avoiding working on finals, so ignore my ramblings~

I think I'd prefer it if RSEmakes kept the original Ruby and Sapphire plots. Maybe give Rayquaza a little post-game mini-story...

And I definitely don't want both Groudon and Kyogre available in one game. :\ What's the point of having version-exclusive legendaries if they aren't version-exclusive?

The post games have been starting to get pretty expanded like in Unova, so possibly a post game dedicated to the original plotline of Emerald. Make it an epic grand scale battle with the players now high leveled Pokemon, as well as letting May/Brendan & Wally help out a bit more to take them down.

The major problem however, is that you HAVE to catch or defeat Groudon/Kyogre in the main story. This means that unless there are two Groudon/Kyogre's in the story, then theres no reason for Rayquaza to interfere.

Emerald's storyline is really the only one that makes sense in this scenario. The previous two remakes never had to deal with a problem like this.

The post games have been starting to get pretty expanded like in Unova, so possibly a post game dedicated to the original plotline of Emerald. Make it an epic grand scale battle with the players now high leveled Pokemon, as well as letting May/Brendan & Wally help out a bit more to take them down.

The major problem however, is that you HAVE to catch or defeat Groudon/Kyogre in the main story. This means that unless there are two Groudon/Kyogre's in the story, then theres no reason for Rayquaza to interfere.

Emerald's storyline is really the only one that makes sense in this scenario. The previous two remakes never had to deal with a problem like this.

Unless... they tweak the storyline and you don't catch Groudon/Kyogre, but you scare them off and the come back later...

Nah, I'm grasping at straws now. :p Your theory is most likely the correct one, I just want a reason to buy both games. XD

I wanna be able to catch both Kyogre and Groudon in the game, just like in HG/SS where the main legendary is available in the story line, while the other is post-game

Maybe the area of the Emerald Version Safari Zone that had Johto Pokemon (the right side of the SZ that was ONLY in Emerald) will be in the remakes, but replace the Johto pokemon with Unova ones

I don't see how-_-

Whether or not it was shown just on TV, movies aren't just the 'discs you can buy at the store' counterpart, TV movies are still movies too.

"It goes against my theory so I'll disregard it". I can compare anything to pre-Diamond & Pearl, because the gap between the DS and 3DS is similar to that between the Gameboy and the Gameboy Advance and the Gameboy Advance and the Nintendo DS. It's a new piece of hardware that is more powerful than the previous. GameFreak have had to jump those hurdles before.

As others have said, Black and White were not rushed - and if they were such a mess, how come they received amazing reviews - including Famitsu's 40/40 and a 95% from Official Nintendo Magazine - the highest score they've given a Pokémon game? Black and White entered development when Diamond & Pearl were released (in 2006), so the time between conceptual development and release was 4 years. The only way I could imagine you'd think it was "rushed" was because it lacked things like the Battle Frontier and Move Tutors that Platinum and HGSS had - but you have to remember, all primary pairs are like that. Look back at it, Platinum didn't add very much to Diamond and Pearl at all either.

No offence, but good job on twisting it to make that seem like a smart-alec comment. I basically meant that you can't really compare release times with the older systems that well due to the effort needed in making games for said systems being a world apart.

Also, with the whole mess thing, please read over what I said carefully before taking it that literally; I even said that the games weren't horrible. What I meant was that they felt like they were missing a lot more in comparison with the older primary pairs, not just the aftergame(s), that could be the reason that they felt rushed to me. Just because they were officially rated doesn't mean those are the only opinions that matter(although I can't argue; they do help a lot).

Tell me - do you honestly think GameFreak are stupid enough to make the same mistake twice - only 2 years after they first faced it no less - in releasing Grey on the 3DS, only to have the big problem of making Generation VI feel different to it when it comes to making them a year or two later?

Actually, imo, there is a way you could make them for the 3DS, yet still keep them different. How about the first games for it(I guess mainly main games in this case) could still have the top down view of BW and all that, but be pretty much rougher 'actual 3D'(I guess that may work for the DS if they could do it right, although I'm still sure they could pull it off with the 3DS). That way they could save the full blown 3D world, etc. for Gen VI.

What exactly about BW makes them seem "rushed" or a "mess"? You're the only person the past few pages to really seem to suggest this, so you could at least tell us your reasoning behind this instead of just claiming they are. Personally, I thought BW were very well put together and overall raised the bar for new pokemon games. Sure, they didn't have all the features that Pt/HGSS had, such as gym leader rematches & battle frontier, but as others have already stated those things are saved for the third version.

Look at the above response.

I think that's how they could utilize the Dream world really well in that case; after all, mention of it first began in Hoenn. Since it might not be too well to actually have them ingame, perhaps we could just obtain them through the Dream World or by trading from BW.

The above idea about the Safari zone is something I also like.

I basically meant that you can't really compare release times with the older systems that well due to the effort needed in making games for said systems being a world apart.

Any proof that that is the case? Sure, the systems are more powerful now, but so is the method of making them. The patterns have stayed the same from Generations I-IV and the difference between the Gameboy and Nintendo DS is vast.

Actually, imo, there is a way you could make them for the 3DS, yet still keep them different. How about the first games for it(I guess mainly main games in this case) could still have the top down view of BW and all that, but be pretty much rougher 'actual 3D'(I guess that may work for the DS if they could do it right, although I'm still sure they could pull it off with the 3DS). That way they could save the full blown 3D world, etc. for Gen VI.
The thing is, if they released a "watered down" 3DS game first, they'll be hit by reviewers for not using the 3DS to its full potential. I would much rather have a DS game that uses that console's features to its full potential than a 3DS game that doesn't use as many so the next game can have all the glory.

I think they should keep Gen V completely on the DS to avoid a whole annoyance of trading and such between the games. Completely my opinion - I totally respect the arguments otherwise.

I actually really hope they emphasize the art in the Hoenn remakes. Hoenn is supposed to warm and tropical per se, and I'd like to see a thorough representation of that via tropical trees and the right color scheme. Goodness, I can't wait to hear an upgraded version of the Gym Leader theme from Gen III.

This might sound kind of silly, but Gen III was the only generation where I didn't find exploring the water tedious. I think it was the whole idea of fast encounters. Remember how *slow* Diamond and Pearl's encounters were? It made finding Pokes a nightmare.

I LOVED Dive too. I just LOVE DIVE so much. Exploring the bottom of the sea was an honest-to-goodness pleasure and honor for me.

Any proof that that is the case? Sure, the systems are more powerful now, but so is the method of making them. The patterns have stayed the same from Generations I-IV and the difference between the Gameboy and Nintendo DS is vast.

I mean making the games in general. Do you honestly think that the work put into each system is the same? Like you said, despite the pattern, the difference between a Gameboy and Nintendo DS is vast; so surely you'd need to do more to get a DS to live up to standards, even if the actual workers are advancing as well?

The thing is, if they released a "watered down" 3DS game first, they'll be hit by reviewers for not using the 3DS to its full potential. I would much rather have a DS game that uses that console's features to its full potential than a 3DS game that doesn't use as many so the next game can have all the glory.

I don't mean watered down to the point of disappointment. How much more of an improvement to the DS do you think Gray/Chrome could give without the usual, mostly aftergame, additions?(an actual question to you) A lot of the 3DS games as of now don't even use it to its full potential. Right now, I would love to see them put into reality the whole 'not forget DS users but still show what the 3DS can do' concept.

Last edited:
I think they should keep Gen V completely on the DS to avoid a whole annoyance of trading and such between the games. Completely my opinion - I totally respect the arguments otherwise.

I actually really hope they emphasize the art in the Hoenn remakes. Hoenn is supposed to warm and tropical per se, and I'd like to see a thorough representation of that via tropical trees and the right color scheme. Goodness, I can't wait to hear an upgraded version of the Gym Leader theme from Gen III.

This might sound kind of silly, but Gen III was the only generation where I didn't find exploring the water tedious. I think it was the whole idea of fast encounters. Remember how *slow* Diamond and Pearl's encounters were? It made finding Pokes a nightmare.

I LOVED Dive too. I just LOVE DIVE so much. Exploring the bottom of the sea was an honest-to-goodness pleasure and honor for me.

But, no one said that trading between DS games and 3DS games isn't possible in Pokemon. Trading between GBC, GBA and DS were impossible (without permenately transfer) because GF had to redo the engine or something. I don't see them having to do that with a 3DS game.

I mean making the games in general. Do you honestly think that the work put into each system is the same? Like you said, despite the pattern, the difference between a Gameboy and Nintendo DS is vast; so surely you'd need to do more to get a DS to live up to standards, even if the actual workers are advancing as well?
As the technology improves, so does the ability to make them. I imagine it would be pretty much the same to make a DS game now as it was to make a GB game back then.

I don't mean watered down to the point of disappointment. How much more of an improvement to the DS do you think Gray/Chrome could give without the usual, mostly aftergame, additions?(an actual question to you) A lot of the 3DS games as of now don't even use it to its full potential. Right now, I would love to see them put into reality the whole 'not forget DS users but still show what the 3DS can do' concept.
That wouldn't matter though, because they'd be on the same console. As you said, not a lot of 3DS games push the console to its full potential; I'd rather GameFreak wait until they know they can release a game that does. It wouldn't take as much work for them to tweak Grey on the DS as it would to put BW's entire engine onto the 3DS and rework it for that system.

Sure they could do it, but I honestly think it would be a real shame. Why not be a big fish in a small pond rather than a little fish in a big pond?

I DEFINITELY would prefer to keep one complete Generation on one handheld. I realize releasing a Pokemon game on the 3DS would help spur sales for the system, but since the DS still has a much larger amount of owners using it, I think it would be in Nintendo's best interest to finish up on the DS with Grey and the R/S remakes, and then move to the 3DS.

Same here! ^_^ Dive was a lot of fun to me, and the idea of catching Pokemon and searching for items under the water was so cool. The fact that Dive is present on BW and is only used in one location post-game came across as a huge R/S remake hint.

I still think these remakes are going to be the big announcement at Jump Festa. Nothing else would live up to the hype at this point.

I agree, Exploring the ocean floor in Hoenn was really neat, think of how it would be in a 3DS remake of R/S. I think it would be way more awesome then before.

Remember how *slow* Diamond and Pearl's encounters were? It made finding Pokes a nightmare.

That was actually a direct result of D/P's crappy 30 fps framerate, but you're completely right. Slowed down battles were the first thing I noticed after releasing Chimchar for the first time in my first Pearl file and needless to say, I wasn't pleased.

Funny thing is, I myself would have never realised that people complained about water routes of all things, at least before I started attending the forums. Do people don't know what Repels are for or something?

Money in Pokemon is as common as dirt. I played through RSE about 15 times now and I have never found myslef in a situation where I couldn't buy Poke Balls, Repels and all kinds of medicine on top of a few TMs from Game Corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom