• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon 'ruined' by evolution.

Porygon-Z ruins the ever so cute Porygon2.

Belossom also ruins Gloom's essence imo.

whismur is cute by its design and characteristics. It is ruined however after the evolutions came acrosss

Nuzleaf is one pokemon that comes to mind for me. I've always thought it looked pretty cool but then you've got its evolution Shiftry. Shiftry is such an ugly pokemon. That's why I've chosen to never evolve my Nuzleaf.

Personnaly, I think that Elikid and Electabuzz (Sorry if either are spelled wrong) were ruined by Electivire, Elekid and Electabuzz were both cute, until Electivire came along.

I think Eevee was ruined, too....

Leafeon looks... kinda strange. =/

Last edited:
I have personally never thought that a Pokemon has been ruined by its evolution.

This.

I really do not understand some of the Sinnoh Evo Hate.

Ryperior I can get ... in terms of being a major departure from it's prevos. However people seem to forget that it's a trade evo whilst holding an item. Just look at Scizor in comparison to Scyther, there is a vast change in design because the evolution was forced.

My personal grivience is any and all Gallade hate. And not just because it reduces the number of Male Gardevoir :p

Of the top of my head I can't think of any other fighting type with the stat spread of Gallade, emphasis on having High Spec Defence and access to Will-o-Wisp to cover it's weaker Phys Defence.

Plus I like the Roman/Greek Gladiator design.

I'm going to base it on movesets, not appearance. I actually like the Porygon-Z that guy in Veilstone game me.

Many of the stone-based evolutions (save Eevee's) are bad if evolved too soon because they stop learning many moves.

Charmeleon to Charizard. It gained a huge disadvantage and got so ugly in the process.

If I think design-wise, I will say maybe Rhyperior, because it could have some tweaks to make it better looking, like the tail, which I found strange. I don't think Magmortar is bad, simply because it is supposed to look "ugly", which I am reluctant to describe.

Stat-wise, I guess it is Magnezone. Sure, it is stronger, but not being able to be as speedy as Metagross, its supposed counterpart, or even outspeed it makes Magnezone a less advantaged Pokemon that cannot win a match with Metagross because it slower unless Magnezone somehow had a better speed. Also Tangrowth, where the reason this time is not speed, which is an understandable sacrifice since Clorophyll exists and Exeggcutor still had its niche as being faster this time, but Special Defence. I know it is higher that Tangela, but a little more will be appreciated since he is just vulnerable on the special side.

Existence-wise, which is a pre-evolution thing, I would say Cleffa and Igglybuff. This really ruins further evolution for Clefable and Wigglytuff, which would appreciate a stat boost to make them useful. Granted, Clefable is useful in competitive battling with her unique niches, but I would love her to be more useful with a stat boost, which I think keeps her from becoming one of the more useful Pokemon (correct me on this one if you can).

If I think design-wise, I will say maybe Rhyperior, because it could have some tweaks to make it better looking, like the tail, which I found strange. I don't think Magmortar is bad, simply because it is supposed to look "ugly", which I am reluctant to describe.

Stat-wise, I guess it is Magnezone. Sure, it is stronger, but not being able to be as speedy as Metagross, its supposed counterpart, or even outspeed it makes Magnezone a less advantaged Pokemon that cannot win a match with Metagross because it slower unless Magnezone somehow had a better speed. Also Tangrowth, where the reason this time is not speed, which is an understandable sacrifice since Clorophyll exists and Exeggcutor still had its niche as being faster this time, but Special Defence. I know it is higher that Tangela, but a little more will be appreciated since he is just vulnerable on the special side.

Existence-wise, which is a pre-evolution thing, I would say Cleffa and Igglybuff. This really ruins further evolution for Clefable and Wigglytuff, which would appreciate a stat boost to make them useful. Granted, Clefable is useful in competitive battling with her unique niches, but I would love her to be more useful with a stat boost, which I think keeps her from becoming one of the more useful Pokemon (correct me on this one if you can).

How is Magnezone and Metagross counterparts.... they look nothing alike plus they only have steel.

Evo's like Togekiss, Manoswine, Honchkrow and Mismagis where needed badly (You people bitch at how useless there pre-evo's are and when they get a evo making them useful you bitch and say they didn't need a evo f'in hypocrits)

And Rypherador and Magmortar try using them they're good pokemon and I rarely use non-evolving pokemon.

And Politoad.... HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE FINAL EVO IN THE FIRST PLACE INSTEAD OF POLIWRATH WHICH IS ONLY A BIGGER POLIWHIRL> GOD PEOPLE LOOK A GEN I THEY HAVE THE MOST BORING EVO'S

How is Magnezone and Metagross counterparts.... they look nothing alike plus they only have steel.

in the other persons defense, the anime episode magnezone vs metagross does seem to suggest they have some kind of counterpart relationship

on topic, adding to any single pokemon evolution chain ruins the cool part of being a standalone pokemon... Examples include snorlax, chimecho, aipom, likitung, sudowoodo

aside from snorlax in that list, for the former standalones listed, their ONLY redeeming factor was being a standalone in a lot of peoples eyes

I don't particularly mind any Pokemon evolutions, and I almost always actually think they look better than the unevolved forms.

in the other persons defense, the anime episode magnezone vs metagross does seem to suggest they have some kind of counterpart relationship

on topic, adding to any single pokemon evolution chain ruins the cool part of being a standalone pokemon... Examples include snorlax, chimecho, aipom, likitung, sudowoodo

aside from snorlax in that list, for the former standalones listed, their ONLY redeeming factor was being a standalone in a lot of peoples eyes

But almost all the standalones are worthless... People keep bitching about them so I think it's best to give evo's to pokemon who NEED it

Electivire gets no love :( I hate tangrowth, but tangela wasnt exactly ruined because it wasnt so great to begin with. Togetic was ruined big time. It went from awesome to stupid so fast its not even funny.

My god, I can't even see Togekiss's body.

Also, does no one else think that Sealeo to Walrein is just bad? They should have kept it a seal, because seals =/= walruses at all. Spheal was cute, Sealeo was decent, but Walrein just tears it.

Back
Top Bottom