• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News Pokémon: The Origin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this special is meant to tie into or expand on the events of the original games, perhaps they can finally explain why Red is known as the legendary trainer? You get a Legend Ribbon for beating him in HgSs, and in BW2's PWT, the man in black who describes PWT trainers says little is known about Red other than he's a legendary trainer....its obviously not being the Champion since all the other Champions are there, and I doubt stopping Team Rocket qualifies for "legendary" status.

Oooor it's just a reflection of how the player character you don't chose in FRLG doesn't show up at all (or in the case of RGBY doesn't exist).

That's a shallow reason not to include the character in something yet again. Besides, there wasn't much of an excuse not to show her in the regular anime because that breaks away from the games all the time.

If there's anything that needs to be a deviation, it's that.

Because she's not real she's not part of canon, she was just added in so that girls playing the games would not be put off. Red is the legendary trainer who rose to take down Team Rocket and become the Champion, this was confirmed in HGSS when it was always Red who appeared and not his female counterpart. I believe Red is even specifically mentioned as being a he, possibly even by name, whereas references to Sinnoh games, like Cynthia in BW merely talk of THAT trainer, so it could be either Dawn or Lucas, as either is part of Canon.

If this special is meant to tie into or expand on the events of the original games, perhaps they can finally explain why Red is known as the legendary trainer? You get a Legend Ribbon for beating him in HgSs, and in BW2's PWT, the man in black who describes PWT trainers says little is known about Red other than he's a legendary trainer....its obviously not being the Champion since all the other Champions are there, and I doubt stopping Team Rocket qualifies for "legendary" status.

I think it's breaking the 4th wall a little, like when they tell you to press buttons, they refer to him as legendary, because he is a legend, not in game so much as in real life.

Doesn't mean they can't write her in as a non-protagonist role.

Her existence is non-canonical in everything but PokeSupe. That's just sad.

Because she's not real she's not part of canon, she was just added in so that girls playing the games would not be put off.

Going by this logic, wouldn't every other female playable character not be considered part of canon? As for the stuff in HGSS that probably just means that it takes place in the version of reality where Red was chosen as the playable character, but that doesn't mean Leaf should get the shaft and not be included in something that's influenced by FireRed/LeafGreen.

Because she's not real she's not part of canon, she was just added in so that girls playing the games would not be put off.

Going by this logic, wouldn't every other female playable character not be considered part of canon? As for the stuff in HGSS that probably just means that it takes place in the version of reality where Red was chosen as the playable character, but that doesn't mean Leaf should get the shaft and not be included in something that's influenced by FireRed/LeafGreen.

It's not about male vs female. Red was in the original, and in GS, even in the HGSS remakes, they had Red specifically. Making it unlikely that Leaf is Canon. May/Brendan, Dawn/Lucas however have no such precedent and are both equally canon. When Cynthia refers to that trainer, she deliberately doesn't mention a gender.

She has an expy in the Pocket Monsters gag manga too, actually.
Yeah, but the Blue in that manga wasn't exactly anything... notable. It'd be a treat to see her animated in something I can take somewhat seriously.

As long as this maintains the child-like spirit of the original games, I'll be happy. :)

I think that the poster alone indicates that Origin will respect the games' dark moments. It seems to me that Red and Blue are at Nugget Bridge, and Red's worried look and Blue's fallen bike suggest that they sense danger in Cerulean Cave.

I'm hoping we see some of the Pokemon Mansion. It is related to Mewtwo after all. That area in FRLG had some pretty cool music and I'm interested how much this special will sample from the games' music.

Wonder if they will have Red to catch any legendary pokemon in these series? Mewtwo for example. That would be epic.

I think that the poster alone indicates that Origin will respect the games' dark moments. It seems to me that Red and Blue are at Nugget Bridge, and Red's worried look and Blue's fallen bike suggest that they sense danger in Cerulean Cave.

What- They're at cycling road. And no one really looks all that worried.

What- They're at cycling road.
That's true. I compared the poster to the HGSS Cycling Road (which is very different) rather than the original one, so I thought that Nugget Bridge was a better fit.

And no one really looks all that worried.
Red certainly does, depending on how you define "that" (one doesn't have to face mortal danger to look worried). And the bike fell for a reason.

Last edited:
If Blue/Leaf doesn't make an appearance, should that be good confirmation that the official Pokemon people (aside from Kusaka of PokeSupe) just downright hate her?
if the show is Firered/leafgreen canon then possibly but if the canon is based on RBY/G then she isnt canon

if the show is Firered/leafgreen canon then possibly but if the canon is based on RBY/G then she isnt canon
The original games are logically the ones being referenced, but Red's design shows that FRLG elements can be included. Leaf's inclusion is still quite possible, even though it would require expanding the game story.

The original games are logically the ones being referenced, but Red's design shows that FRLG elements can be included. Leaf's inclusion is still quite possible, even though it would require expanding the game story.

The best chance they had to include her was in the Battle Frontier when they were travelling through Kanto.
I think it would have made sense to have her as a trainer out on her travels, collecting badges, she might have joint the team on the way to a city, similar to how Lyra was handled in the DP series.

I belive it is possible that they still could add her in too. if they follow RBY canon then it is unlikely but there still is a shot at her appearing especially if this is like a multi episode special. But if the show is strictly rigid to canon then we may not see her. there is just too little known about the plot so far to make an accurate judgement on who will and wont appear minus key characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom