• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S08 EP22: Date Expectations ・ EP23: Mean With Envy ・ EP24: Pacifidlog Jam

FabuVinny

May the Aura be with you.
Reaction score
It's time for the final contest before the Grand Festival, which May must win if she is to take part. But can she overcome all the obstacles in her path?

AG114: Rollout! Loving Donphan!
EP391: Date Expectations
n49s38.jpg

First she actually has to get there! When the boat taking them there breaks down, the group must travel to the other side of an island full of Donphan during the mating season. When they are split up, May has to make the decision of what is most important to her: her brother or the contest.

AG115: Disorderly Melee! Pokémon Contest - Pacifidlog Convention! (Part One)
EP392: Mean With Envy
n49s8x.jpg

While in preperation for the contest, May meets two of her fellow contestants, Joshua and Erika. Erika becomes jealous of May seeing her as a rival to Joshua's affections. A rivally is created that will be fought in the contest. But can Skitty's Assist be relied upon to get May through the first round?

AG116: Disorderly Melee! Pokémon Contest - Pacifidlog Convention! (Part Two)
EP393: Pacifidlog Jam
n49sb5.jpg

The next round starts off with Erika's Jynx facing Meowth. Then May and Skitty are up against Joshua's Houndour. Who will emerge from the contest victorious?

This thread is for discussing the actual episodes. If you want to complain about Kids WB not showing them, please do so in this thread.

Date Expectations

So the one true love for Shiny Donphan is the one that just happened to be attacked by Mudkip and Corphish? Wow, gotta love the coincidences in this show…

There’s some nice character development for May, especially the Caroline scene showing why May cares for Max so much more than Ash…. AG Ash does really shine through here as well.

Snorunt is turning into the new Psyduck/Wobbuffet. Out of its Pokéball again? I’m not so bothered knowing the future and Ice Beam does get set up here.

In all, this is an average filler that’s main redeeming feature is that it gives some character development to a few characters.

The contest

I love the shipping triangle in this episode! Maybe it's just the irony of how easy it would be to give May her own version of Misy's infamous "someone else" line here, but it does create a refreshing reason for rivally. Though it ended very suddenly for reasons that I can't work out.

It was great to see Meowth in the contest and the transformation was a great concept. I don't see the logic as all Pokémon are capable of understanding human speech, but whatever...

So can May control Assist or not? Throughout the contest, people keep saying how unpredictable it is and yet the ending makes it sound like she knew Fire Spin was coming.

This thread makes me depressed, mainly for the fact that KidsWb skipped these episodes and won't air them anytime soon. :(

And it's bad enough with the major plot holes too. :/

I'm not having much luck convincing you not to reply, am I? :p

FabuVinny said:
So can May control Assist or not? Throughout the contest, people keep saying how unpredictable it is and yet the ending makes it sound like she knew Fire Spin was coming.
Not at all. May sure is one lucky character, is she not?

Just a reminder people: Don't come to this thread complaining about how Kids' WB! is skipping the episodes. We already have a thread for that.

This thread is meant solely as a discussion thread for the episodes. If you've seen them, talk about 'em. If not, then you should probably find another thread to go to.

I'm interested in what May's mum actually says to her in that Donphan ep flashback.

I made my best guess in the raw but the most I got out of it was 'Masato'. Was it to take care of him?

Really that never fit well with me as Max's welfare suddenly coming up because they've been seperated when they've been seperated many more times just seemed odd.

Caroline says that Max is a bit too young to be traveling, and she asks her daughter to "Promise her", to take care of him. May says that Ash will be with them too.

The emphsis for Ash being that he is an experienced traveller. ^^

We'll find out in a month or so if the Jynx eps have been banned in North America or just the U.S. A month today, the Donphan ep will air. Here's the YTV schedule (if they don't screw up).

Feb 11: Great Eight Fate
Feb 18: Eight Ain't Enough
Feb 25: Showdown at Linoone
Mar 4: Who, What, When, Where, Wynaut
Mar 11: Date Expectations
Mar 18: Mean With Envy
Mar 25: Pacifidlog Jam

Hey TK, that sig you've had for quite some time, maybe it's the time to change it now? ;-)

I was able to do a comparison for "Date Expectations." Nothing but time cuts in that one, but the unusually high amount of puns in the episode did make me want to gag.

V Faction said:
Not at all. May sure is one lucky character, is she not?
Wow, the Young me! Look how much hair I had back then. Boy, was I ever naive.

I've seen the episodes already thanks to the Interweb. No comment.

May/Erika is a great rivalry. Why can't May ever have any ongoing female rivals? She needs a girl like her to keep returning. Drew/Harley are nice, but we NEED a female rival for May. I wish Erika would return.

The urgency of this episode was botched by KidsWb skipping it, as this was May's final chance to get a ribbon for the GF.

Both great episodes..

Last edited:
So May does her hand camera when she's nervous...interesting. Anyway, dorkiest ep ever. I have no comment on the other one.

Date Expectations:

It deserves one word: *retch*

Despite its slight character development and proves there's one very touchy-feely, is-it-really-legal? mother/daughter relationship behind the doors, it was entirely overshadowed by....it just made me nauseous. The whole overplaying on love was totally unnecessary and I think I'm gonna be sick for the rest of the day.

...And obviously, I didn't watch the second episode.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom