• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S14 EP19: A Connoisseur's Revenge!

Iteru

Something
Reaction score
BW019 - "A Connoisseurer's Revenge!"

Continuing on their way to Castelia City, Ash and his friends visit a newly-opened Poké Mart where they meet a shady Pokémon Connoisseurer who tells Ash that the bond he has with all of his Pokémon is terrible! Just who is she, and why do her and Cilan seem to recognise each other?

Re: "A Connoisseurer's Revenge!" Review Thread

Oh wow, the writers know French. Burgundy? Ok, at least it's a different kind of wine, and it is also still French. You're a connoisseuse, not Smogon. How in the world did you get certified, you jerk. Enthusiasm? If you say so, Cilan. Very interesting.

... was her name Burgundy? Or what? I have never heard that name before xD

o_O Burgundy? Wasn't expecting that....at least it doesn't sound like Cabinet ^^; (I don't find Burgundy to be too weird of a name tbh)

I like Burgundy. It definitely has a sense of sophistication that I think will be a trend for all the Connoisseurs and Connoisseurers that we will see throughout the saga.

Was a good episode. Burgundy? I like Cabernet better, but this is a kid's show right? She also has a voice that greatly reflects her enthusiasm.

Cilan had a really awesome part. What did Cilan call that part when he was battling Burgundy. At least we got to see his epic side.

Is Burgundy Cilan's rival now? Then Iris is the only one without one.

I think she was voiced by Lisa Ortiz.

Burgundy is an good choice. I knew they would find a creative name for her :)

Really funny and entertaining episode! I really hope Burgundy shows up again really soon, she's awesome. I love her choice of pokemon, Sawsbuck is one of my favorites of Gen 5. For some reason I really loved how it twitched it's ears soon after it emerged from the pokeball.

"It's evaluating time" is strange, but I guess it works.

Cabernet was a name too generalized for the character, imo. The name refers to the type of black grapes that are cultivated in most red wine varieties throughout the entire world, and almost every European country has its own wine distilling method.

Burgundy refers to the type of red wine made in the Burgundy region in eastern France. Since the character spoke several French phrases in both the Japanese and English versions of this episode, and "sommelier" is a French word referring to a "wine professional," the character's name change adheres to that theme. Make no mistake that the dub wanted to keep the French theme for the character.

The episode was amazing, and Cilan proved yet again that patience is one of life's many virtues. Cilan may have been too overconfident in wanting to defeat Burgundy for Ash's sake: "As an A-class Pokemon Connoisseur, I cannot lose," but he still calculated a solid strategy using the pokemon he had on him.

It is no exaggeration that this new character has evolved Cilan's presence as a member of Ash's group. The episode in of itself revealed that Cilan was an A-class connoisseur, and therefore, he had the potential to reach that S-class level. [But even so, Cilan mentioned that A-class connoisseurs can still properly evaluate trainers and their pokemon. What is the difference between A-class and S-class, anyway?] Furthermore, Burgundy provided Cilan an outlet to not only test his skills as a trainer (and connoisseur), but also a foil to his otherwise civilized character.

... was her name Burgundy? Or what? I have never heard that name before xD

Burgundy is a name? o_o I've heard of the color Burgundy but I don't think it works as a name...

Burgundy is a name? o_o I've heard of the color Burgundy but I don't think it works as a name...

To be fair...I've never heard of Cabernet as a name before ^^; (I've never heard Dent, Pod, Corn or even Cilan, Chili, Cress as names either lol)

BTW, "It's Tasting Time" is now "It's Evaluating Time."

BTW, "It's Tasting Time" is now "It's Evaluating Time."

It's still wordy :( well I have brighter hopes that "It's .... Time" will be kept at least. I think they take out the "taste" because it doesn't seem like Cilan uses "taste" to evaluate as much as Dento. I haven't kept up with the dub so I'm not sure on this =/ but I don't get why they are so against the tasting o.o

Well, who would name their child Burgundy? IRL too. :p
._. Actually...

Cilan's dub voice didn't do it for me. Jason Griffith didn't have the same flair Mamoru Miyano, but you can tell he was trying.

It's still wordy :( well I have brighter hopes that "It's .... Time" will be kept at least. I think they take out the "taste" because it doesn't seem like Cilan uses "taste" to evaluate as much as Dento. I haven't kept up with the dub so I'm not sure on this =/ but I don't get why they are so against the tasting o.o

It's probably to fit the dialogue with mouth flaps so it doesn't seem awkward. Personally, I wish it was "It's Evaluation Time!"

BTW, Cilan and Dent are the same but with different names and voices.

Cilan's dub voice didn't do it for me. Jason Griffith didn't have the same flair Mamoru Miyano, but you can tell he was trying.

It's good to me but I feel like Jason could do much better as Cilan. He's got the voice but he needs more flair.

It's probably to fit the dialogue with mouth flaps so it doesn't seem awkward. Personally, I wish it was "It's Evaluation Time!"

BTW, Cilan and Dent are the same but with different names and voices.

It's good to me but I feel like Jason could do much better as Cilan. He's got the voice but he needs more flair.

Evaluation Time sounds pretty cool actually :) Much better than Time to serve up the Think!~

=o I notice Cilan saying "flavor" a lot more than "taste" =/

^^; Well..Dento has high standards with him being voiced by Miyano...I'd imagine he's probably quite difficult to portray..

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom