• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starter Discussion and Speculation

Although many are excited about using Torchic and Kanto trio, I am still to see anyone saying that it will not be using a Kalos starter because of that; which proves to me how popular and well-received Gen 6 starters are. I'm sure that if this situation was to happen in Gen 5 - Kanto or Hoenn starter being available early in the adventure - many players wouldn't be thinking twice in ditching their Unova starter.

Personally I can't wait to use 2 starters. Opens up a lot of new fun combinations :)

Fennekin brand new??? Are you serious? It looks like a different color Zorua.

Just because they are both foxes does not mean it's the same Pokemon. They have different typings, different stats, different movepools, and they do in fact look different, since they are different types of foxes.

It's like saying Pangoro isn't new because we already have Spinda.

Or that we didn't need Houndour because we already have Growlithe. Or Hoothoot/Pidgey.

Just because they are both foxes does not mean it's the same Pokemon. They have different typings, different stats, different movepools, and they do in fact look different, since they are different types of foxes.

And where is Pangoros similarity in look with Spinda?

And where is Fennekin's similarity in look with Zorua?

^This. As I pointed out, they don't even really look alike. They have similar body forms, but this is expected since they are both first stage fox-based Pokemon. The only things that are very similar are the tails (which are just generic fox tails, so this is reasonable) and the cheek tufts.

Here is your answer: Google Image Result for https://s3.amazonaws.com/colorslive/jpg_512x512/793420-dYQ_lHhTwHwQG5er.jpg

Keep in mind that that is fanart. If you compare their official artwork, the differences are much clearer. Fennekin is lither, has much larger ears with tufts growing from them, no tuft on its head, a larger nose, longer legs with distinct paws, no collar, tufts on its legs, and it does have a different tail (I said they were similar before, but looking at it now they really aren't.)

Fennekin.png

570Zorua.png

And even if they have bases that are similar, they are still different in every other aspect other than appearance. So to summarize, Fennekin and Zorua are completely unique Pokemon, and while they can be compared, should not be treated as if they are one in the same because the comparisons are very limited.

So because Fennekin hardly resembles Zorua, it's not a brand new Pokemon? I thought we got past this what, 8 months ago? Lol

My initial response would have been Fenekin (because I love foxes as a general rule) but Chespin has been growing on me lately. I think it might end up coming down to what their final forms will be like.

I don't agree with the statement that Fennekin isn't a brand new Pokémon just because it looks a bit similar to Zorua and Vulpix. That is like saying that Torterra wasn't original just because Blastoise and Torkoal already existed prior to Gen IV. I do think Fennekin is a bit unoriginal, though, but its evolutions might change that. That being said, the comparison to Pangoro was quite sad, since its design is very different from Spinda's.

I like Fennekin and I don't really see it being so similar to Zorua. I think that Fennekin is cute, but I do hope that its evolutions will be good. I might keep Fennekin as my starter for X and just have Charmander as my back-up Fire type. I was already considering having Talonflame as my Flying type anyway and Charizard would be filling a similar role. I'll have to keep that in mind whenever they reveal the starters' evolutions.

I like Fennekin and I don't really see it being so similar to Zorua. I think that Fennekin is cute, but I do hope that its evolutions will be good. I might keep Fennekin as my starter for X and just have Charmander as my back-up Fire type. I was already considering having Talonflame as my Flying type anyway and Charizard would be filling a similar role. I'll have to keep that in mind whenever they reveal the starters' evolutions.

I hate it when people complain about there being multiple Pokémon Species based on one animal (>_<)

Hell Zorua and Fennekin aren't even based on the same exact fox species, yes same family of animals but that is all...

Zorua - Kitsune Fox (also looks like its wearing some Kabuki theatre makeup) - More of a folklore side, creates illusions and likes to trick people.
Fennekin - Fennec Fox - More natural background such as dissipating heat from its ears like a real world Fennec Fox.

Last edited:

Mm. We kinda have these arguments every gen so it's become a tradition of sorts. But just throwing this out there: there are more than one species of [fox] out there.

EDIT: Ninja'd by The Guardian Sylveon. Curses.

Just wondering, was it confirmed that you receive the Kanto starters at the beginning of the game? If they didn't specify, then it could be in the middle or even post-E4.

Just wondering, was it confirmed that you receive the Kanto starters at the beginning of the game? If they didn't specify, then it could be in the middle or even post-E4.
It's heavily implied it's when we first meet Sycamore from all the dialogue. These stills are from the latest trailer, and trailer 5.
attachment.php
attachment.php

You can see Callum, Shauna, and Serena in the exact same spot when receiving the Pokemon from Sycamore as they are when Trevor and Tierno walk in in the 5th trailer. I'm assuming Tierno and Trevor come into Sycamore's office after you receive the Kanto starter.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 11.43.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 11.43.23 AM.png
    157.6 KB · Views: 1,752
  • Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 11.43.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 11.43.33 AM.png
    166.8 KB · Views: 1,777

And if that is Sycamore's office, we can safely assume it's in Lumiose City, which appears to be the 3rd or 4th city you reach in-game.

And if that is Sycamore's office, we can safely assume it's in Lumiose City, which appears to be the 3rd or 4th city you reach in-game.

That would mean it's not immediately, but still early enough to add to your team. Sounds good to me.

It'll most likely be in between the 1st and 2nd (or 3rd?) gyms I think. Kanto Starter will probably be level 10-12?

Back
Top Bottom