• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starter Discussion and Speculation

Why are we thinking Chespin is a Kendo practitioner again? Just curious. I see Froakie's clearly a ninja, but what about Chespin is leading us to Kendo?

I also feel like I'm the only one who wants Grass/Dark and Water/Fighting. -3-

No I wan't it too.. I've been saying Froakie should be Water/Fighting from the beginning and now that it has further support from the rumor I guess it has a pretty good chance of happening.

Fennekin, Chespin or Froakie?

So, which one of the three starters tickles your fancy? I would choose Fennekin because it's THAT cute. :)

Re: Fennekin, Chespin or Froakie?

For X, the main game I'll be playing, I'm going to pick Fennekin, then, after Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter are released, I'll likely get Y for the other two starters and Y exclusives (gotta have that full national dex to transfer forward into Gen VII when that comes out).

I had an idea that Chespin's evolution could have it gain more and more kendo-like chestnut armor, to the point where you can barely see its actual body bar like its eyes peeking out withing a helmet...that'd certainly give off a dark vibe, a creature that's shut itself from the rest of the world and only thinks of fighting.

Aw, that's so depressing for such a cheery little fella like Chespin.

I'm still hoping Grass/Dark rumors just aren't true. It's honestly a terrible typing. Currently it has 6 weaknesses, one being 4x to bug. And seeing as grass has a neutral relationship to Fairy, there's still a chance Fairy is going to add another weakness to the type by being SE against Dark.

Pokemon abilities/stats/move pools can make even poor types shine, but most starters just don't turn into very good pokemon.

Kind of why I wanted Chespin to be Grass/Rock, instead. The only other Pokemon that shares this typing (to my knowledge, at least) is Cradily, and it could be a more offensive version of Cradily, in a sense. n_n It could run something like a Shell Smash (I'm still hoping it gets this), Wood Hammer, EQ, Stone Edge, or something of that effect. xD Would be awesome.

I had an idea that Chespin's evolution could have it gain more and more kendo-like chestnut armor, to the point where you can barely see its actual body bar like its eyes peeking out withing a helmet...that'd certainly give off a dark vibe, a creature that's shut itself from the rest of the world and only thinks of fighting.

Aw, that's so depressing for such a cheery little fella like Chespin.

I'm still hoping Grass/Dark rumors just aren't true. It's honestly a terrible typing. Currently it has 6 weaknesses, one being 4x to bug. And seeing as grass has a neutral relationship to Fairy, there's still a chance Fairy is going to add another weakness to the type by being SE against Dark.

Pokemon abilities/stats/move pools can make even poor types shine, but most starters just don't turn into very good pokemon.

Kind of why I wanted Chespin to be Grass/Rock, instead. The only other Pokemon that shares this typing (to my knowledge, at least) is Cradily, and it could be a more offensive version of Cradily, in a sense. n_n It could run something like a Shell Smash (I'm still hoping it gets this), Wood Hammer, EQ, Stone Edge, or something of that effect. xD Would be awesome.

Yeah, I think I voiced the Grass/Rock opinion sometime earlier. A fast physical grass/rock sweeper could be made out of the around 525 stat totals starters generally receive. Assuming fairy has no relation to rock, it'd only resist normal and electric, and be weak to Ice, Fighting, Bug, and Steel, but would have a SE STAB Bonus against 7 types, two being Ice and Bug.

Besides, grass and rock are both weak to 5 types, so it's incredibly mutually beneficial.

I'm gonna chose Fennekin, but I'll be pretty upset if it stands on two legs after it evolves. I want it a 4-legged final evolution of a fire starter.(Typhlosion doesn't count)

There's no point in choosing fennekin now IMO. Now that we know mega charizard and blaziken exists fennekin would be so outclassed by those 2 its not even funny.

It is too early to assume Fennekin is going to be outclassed by Mega Blaziken and Mega Charizard, we don't even know its evolutions and presumably mega evolution yet. Also, to some people, using new Pokémon is more interesting than using the ones they already used, so yeah, there is more than one point in choosing Fennekin instead of the other two. Or, you know, you can also choose the three of them, since there are no rules saying you can't have more than one Fire-type in a team.

I also hope Fennekin's evolutions are quadrupedal, because there is no quadrupedal fully evolved Fire-type yet and I want Chespin and Froakie's evolutions to be bipedal (usually there is one quadrupedal and two bipedal evolutions).

There's no point in choosing fennekin now IMO. Now that we know mega charizard and blaziken exists fennekin would be so outclassed by those 2 its not even funny.

I just really love fire-types. I doubt I'll have them all on my team, but I'm planning on getting Charmander, Torchic, and Fennekin in my game.

Uh, what if you want a Fire/Psychic type on your team? Can Charizard and Blaziken do the Psychic-type better than Fennekin's evolution?

Edit: Also I guess Talonflame (your username) is also outclassed since Mega Charizard is available, also Blaziken.

Last edited:

Fennekin being brand new is more than enough reason for me to use it. I don't need to use a starter I used 5 or so years ago.

Fire type mono runs will be very easy this time around.

Calling that the starters evolve into something totally unrelated to them.

Fennekin being brand new is more than enough reason for me to use it. I don't need to use a starter I used 5 or so years ago.
I agree with this: Even if I wind up with a Fennekin/Charmander tag team Fennekin will be my primary Fire-type and Charmander the backup. Because this is G6, this is Kalos, Charmander had his day in the sun back in Kanto.

I agree with the above poster, also! It struck me as kind of odd and somewhat out of place that you could obtain Kanto starters, though I kinda just nodded my head and accepted it. I assume that this was more or less a tribute to the old generation, but yeah. u_u Anyway...

Calling that the starters evolve into something totally unrelated to them.

Wouldn't be surprised, to be honest. xD; Kinda what I'm expecting at this point.

Considering Froakie has cloud on its neck , I hope it can evolve into a Pokemon that can ether fly or float in the Air !!!
Well Since Player can use both Kalo & Kento starter , I pretty sure majority of people will chose Charmender because its fully form Charizard is the only starter that can fly .
However , if Kalo has a starter that can fly as well then that will make both region starter fair !

Fennekin brand new??? Are you serious? It looks like a different color Zorua.

And Zorua looked like a black Vulpix without the tails. So?

Considering Froakie has cloud on its neck , I hope it can evolve into a Pokemon that can ether fly or float in the Air !!!
Well Since Player can use both Kalo & Kento starter , I pretty sure majority of people will chose Charmender because its fully form Charizard is the only starter that can fly .
However , if Kalo has a starter that can fly as well then that will make both region starter fair !

Its foam not a cloud.

Back
Top Bottom