• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starter Discussion and Speculation

Depending on which and where those Gyms are. Me, I'm mentally comparing Kalos to Johto, with its largest city (Goldenrod) being the fifth town / third Gym you arrive at. And Castelia was like the 3rd or 4th city in Unova (and also third Gym)....

So, if Serena and shauna take the other starters (all assumptions), this raises some questions for me. So, I pick froakie, and shauna takes chespin (I think, is she the tougher rival?) and Serena takes fennekin. Now, when we get to that part with kanto starters, do they take the other 2 again, or do Trevor and tierno take those, thus everyone getting a starter (Oprah meme insert here), except the player, getting 2? Wow, big run-on sentence... Anyway, has anyone else thought of how this plays out? Cuz if shauna and Serena take the other 2 again (selfish ladies), would shauna again take the stronger one, or Serena this time? Questions, questions... I personally hope everyone gets a starter. More rivals = more experience >:D

So, if Serena and shauna take the other starters (all assumptions), this raises some questions for me. So, I pick froakie, and shauna takes chespin (I think, is she the tougher rival?) and Serena takes fennekin. Now, when we get to that part with kanto starters, do they take the other 2 again, or do Trevor and tierno take those, thus everyone getting a starter (Oprah meme insert here), except the player, getting 2? Wow, big run-on sentence... Anyway, has anyone else thought of how this plays out? Cuz if shauna and Serena take the other 2 again (selfish ladies), would shauna again take the stronger one, or Serena this time? Questions, questions... I personally hope everyone gets a starter. More rivals = more experience >:D

I thought it was stated that Tierno and Trevor already have starters before they give you Chespin/Fennekin/Froakie. maybe I'm mistaken. Also, I don't think it's a precedent for all your rivals to have the region's starter pokemon (Wally in RSE), so if any of them don't get the conventional starter pokemon, I won't be shocked/upset/etc. In fact, it'd be nice imo.

Well, as long as their starter Pokémon are as awesome as Wally's, then I wouldn't mind Tierno and Trevor having non-starter Pokémon as starters/signatures. It would be sad if one or both of them have things like Talonflame, Vivillon or any other com mon as their main Pokémon, though. I do think that they both having the two Kanto starters the player doesn't choose would be a better idea, though.

Well, you have 5 trainers (including you) and 6 starters (counting both Kalos and Kanto starters). We already know you get one from each set. Oh, hey! That leaves exactly enough so that all of your friends can have one! Huh, what a coincidence....

Well, you have 5 trainers (including you) and 6 starters (counting both Kalos and Kanto starters). We already know you get one from each set. Oh, hey! That leaves exactly enough so that all of your friends can have one! Huh, what a coincidence....
Considering that Tierno and Trevor get their starters before Sycamore distributes the Kanto starters, it may very well be a coincidence. Not to mention the fact that Serena/Calem and Shauna are the ones standing next to the player when they get their Kanto starter, so they may get the remaining two Kanto starters despite having the Kalos ones. At least this way Sycamore doesn't favor the player over the rivals; Trevor and Tierno don't seem to be into battling.

Last edited:

Considering that Tierno and Trevor get their starters before Sycamore distributes the Kanto starters, it may very well be a coincidence. Not to mention the fact that Serena/Calem and Shauna are the ones standing next to the player when they get their Kanto starter, so they may get the remaining two Kanto starters despite having the Kalos ones. At least this way Sycamore doesn't favor the player over the rivals; Trevor and Tierno don't seem to be into battling.

Tierno and Trevor can't get the Kanto starters as their actual starters, yes, but they can get them later on- you know, like the PC does. Although Shauna and Serena being there does make it look like they're the ones getting extra starters. It's too bad-I think giving them to Tierno and Trevor would be a bit more interesting.

do you get the starters early in the game or is it after you beat the main game

What I think will happen:

- Tierno catches pokemon to dance with them, and Tierno fills the Pokedex. They are not rivals, but you battle them sometimes.
- Serena/Calem gets the type advantage Kalos starter while Shauna, the type disadvantage and the opposite with the Kanto starters - Serena/Calem type disadvantage and Shauna with the type advantage.

I liked the idea of Froakie evolving into a Chinese dragon-like Pokemon who's body is covered in cloud.
Is there any legend that spoke of a frog that grow/transform into a dragon ???

I liked the idea of Froakie evolving into a Chinese dragon-like Pokemon who's body is covered in cloud.
Is there any legend that spoke of a frog that grow/transform into a dragon ???

That is highly unlikely. Not only is there no such legend, but Froakie acts like a ninja in the anime. And there are Japanese legends of ninja frogs. It's almost set in stone that Froakie's going to evolve into a ninja frog/toad.

I was personally kind of under the impression that you get them both almost on top of each other. Friend shpeal mini-adventure pre-game + tutorial crap ---> friend gives kalos starter ---> Sycamore sees you guys asks if you want to take pokedex/league challenge, etc. ---> say yes and he gives you kanto starter. That was my impression anyway, though honestly I'd be happy getting them more spread apart.

But note it's not Sycamore who gives you your Pokedex; it's Trevor. You have it before heading outside of your Vaniville home town. The website also establishes that your adventure then goes south to Santalune, home to the first Pokemon League Gym (Lumiose is north) ... or maybe my compass directions are bass-ackwards and Vaniville is south of Santalune, but either way you hit Santalune before Lumiose, and if it's home to the first Gym I'm pretty sure there's an NPC who won't let you progress without that Badge. And being the first Gym Leader, this means you'll be in the Lv.15 range by the time they beat him, just in time to witness your first (non Bug) Pokemon evolutions.

Last edited:

That's right, I had forgotten that Trevor gave you the pokedex. I was still under the impression that you got both starters very soon, though like I said, I'd prefer if they were spread out more, so i hope that is the case. Also, I'm pretty sure Santalune is north of Vaniville, if the map is anything to go by.

That map may be mostly fan speculation but they do back it up with enough official screenshots to demonstrate that it's pretty fair reasoning (such as the layout of Vaniville).

Back
Top Bottom