• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ulgamoth Theory

i'm going to say psuedo legendary on this one, after all you get meraruba(blah tahts a mouthfull) from an egg on route 18, which is home to pokemon about level thirty, if we use them as a gauge to the persons level then it would appear far to soon for someone to be obtaining a possible legendary (i really don;t know how far 18 is in the game though) i look it like dragonite, strong and awesome but not legendary

I'll say it's not legendary. Anything that has a pre-evolution can't be.

It's not legendary, but it's special. Uh, level 70 in a castle? C'mon, this has gotta mean something. The catch rate is low, and it's pre-evo's shiny form is an Arceus. I seriously think it's more than a normal Pokémon, but not a legendary.

Metang is normally catchable in Black and White - specifically in the Giant Hall. No gimmick is involved, even though Metagross is encountered by a special method in that same location. The Beldum line's catch rate, which was acceptable in Generation III, now seems to be a result of a lack of foresight on Game Freak's part.
What lack of foresight? The other points still stand. It's very different from the other Pseudos. The only one that shares the trait of being unavailable before beating the Elite Four is Larvitar (Which is epic game design failure like so many brought by GS, but that's beside the point), who still shares plenty of traits with all other Pseudos.

As I see it, Beldum and its line was intended to be really rare and really difficult to catch, which is why it was a gift from a Champion before becoming more commonplace, which took 2 Generations anyway. Again, he's so outlandish compared with all others, it's not strange to make it as difficult to catch as a Legendary. Dialga and Palkia have a catch rate of 30; Reshiram and Zekrom have a catch rate of 45. That doesn't makes them not Legendary, or even not as Legendary as their analogous. Might seem like a desire to make the game easier, but if that was the case, Kyogre and Groudon, the very first Legendaries that had to be caught to advance the plot, in the last Generation where Legendaries would be lost forever if not caught, would have a Catch Rate much higher than 5.

What lack of foresight? The other points still stand. It's very different from the other Pseudos. The only one that shares the trait of being unavailable before beating the Elite Four is Larvitar (Which is epic game design failure like so many brought by GS, but that's beside the point), who still shares plenty of traits with all other Pseudos.
The differences are irrelevant. I highly doubt that when Game Freak decided to give the Beldum the lowest possible catch rate, they were already thinking of future games where those Pokémon would actually be available in the wild. Catching those Pokémon is a chore, and that hurdle doesn't serve any purpose, unlike the opposite case with Dialga, Palkia, Reshiram and Zekrom.

I can understand Ulgamoth because 15 is not too low a number, and Ulgamoth has its own niche (it is best compared to Arcanine and Togekiss, which aren't catchable). Most importantly, Meraruba has a high catch rate (45), so it won't stand out in future games should it be catchable (although judging from Togepi, that may not happen). In contrast, Beldum and Metang being as hard to catch as legendaries looks like an error in judgment to me; they may not be your typical pseudo-legendaries, but they're no different when it comes to availability (outside Hoenn).

I am going to guess that it will star as a major player in a movie? Well, it's legendary alright. But legendary as in the awesome that is Arcanine, rather than legendary as in Uber god destroyer of worlds.

It could possibly have also been designed as a legendary, but decided against it in the vein of Arcanine. Or maybe it's just a shout out. Or maybe they just thought it was so badass it deserved all this near-legendary stuff about it.

If Ulgamoth is a legendary, I'm a Justin Bieber fan.

Seriously, if a Pokémon is found at a high level somewhere in a specific place, that doesn't make it legendary.

About the signature moves. A lot more Pokémon had those, but they lost them in subsequent generations.

Yes, Ulgamoth is next to the legendaries. So? Blissey is next to Raikou in Nat Dex, but it wasn't one itself last time I checked. And where's the Gible line in Nat Dex? Randomly placed between Spiritomb and Munchlax. That doesn't make everyone between Garchomp and Uxie legendaries.

And most importantly, Ulgamoth is available more than once. Not only do you get his pre-evo as a gift, it's breedable like a normal Pokémon that it is. Albeit a strong one.

So, unless they're giving out free legendaries in Isshu, this theory isn't very strong, I'm afraid.

Ulgamoth is a really good pokemon, but I'm agreeing with the majority here - definately not a legendary!

Ulgamoth isnt legendary. Why?
1. Game Freak hasnt labeled it as such
2. Just because there is only one in the game dosent mean much. There is only 1 Rotom in DPt. Rotom is not a legendary, also there is 1 Beldum in RSE. I rest my case
3.It can breed and its offspring can evolve unlike Phione, much like Zoroark. Zoroark is a non legendary event pokemon.

i really dont know why we are having this debate.

2. Just because there is only one in the game dosent mean much. There is only 1 Rotom in DPt. Rotom is not a legendary, also there is 1 Beldum in RSE. I rest my case
3.It can breed and its offspring can evolve unlike Phione, much like Zoroark. Zoroark is a non legendary event pokemon.

Dude, Game Freak technically hasn't labeled anything yet. Until we get the guide books in November we really can't say much about Ulgamoth anymore.

Ulgamoth is, technically, the BW Rotom. That's the best comparison there is.

Then again, about what I said about the Official Tournaments. It's probably banned anyways since it cannot be obtained at Level 50 or lower, since Meraruba evolves into it at Level 59 and it's obtained in the wild at Level 70, so having it banned from the tournaments won't be a good peice of evidence as I thought.

This is borderline stupid, simply because it's 100% subjective, but I've always felt that if a Pokémon was Legendary, you would just be able to know right away. Looking at Articuno, Mewtwo, Lugia, Palkia... you can just sort of tell. Ulgamoth just doesn't give me that feeling. Absurdly powerful? Yes. Legendary? No.
Just what I feel.

See above by Shiramu.
And Rotom got what kind of encounter music again? The legendary theme.
This has been discussed before almost to death. Ulgamoth could be the new, and improved Manaphy/Phione case. It certainly doesn't level fast and evolve at a low level. And with the pattern that seems to have been developing for Legendaries as of the last two gens (genders, breeding), evolving could be a logical leap.

Because, I don't know, maybe GameFreak, not you or anyone else decided to make a legendary capable of making more of itself in-game? You don't decide what makes a legendary, legendary. If Ulgamoth is proven a legendary by official sources, would you fight it?

This is borderline stupid, simply because it's 100% subjective, but I've always felt that if a Pokémon was Legendary, you would just be able to know right away. Looking at Articuno, Mewtwo, Lugia, Palkia... you can just sort of tell. Ulgamoth just doesn't give me that feeling. Absurdly powerful? Yes. Legendary? No.
Just what I feel.
One could look at a few of them and say "there's nothing special about them" without looking at the legends behind them.

We don't know the legends behind Ulgamoth as of yet. We didn't know the legends behind Rayquaza, Giratina (or even Kyurem) before they got their spots in the respective third versions. (I'm not saying that Ulgamoth will be a member of the trio. But even non-legendaries like Rotom got a better explanation in the third version.)

Last edited:
Then again, about what I said about the Official Tournaments. It's probably banned anyways since it cannot be obtained at Level 50 or lower, since Meraruba evolves into it at Level 59 and it's obtained in the wild at Level 70, so having it banned from the tournaments won't be a good peice of evidence as I thought.

So many pokemon evolve late, even from older generations. If you were basing it off of whether it could be obtained before lvl 50, you were using the wrong basis.

I love bugs, and it's about time a psudo-legendary Bug came into the picture. Not a Legendary, but closer than any bug before!

Ulgamoth isn't a Legend... I Thas a Prevo.... WHich automatically makes it not a Legend becauase legends NEVER evolve ever. And Besides Manaphy and Phione they never breed. (Plus You can't get Manaphy eggs only Phione which is why Phione isbn't really considered a legendary Pokemon)

It's like Arcanine 'legendary' but not LEGANDARY

In all fairness, you could have said legendaries never have genders...and then came Latios and Latias. You then could have said they only have set genders. Then came Heatran. You could have said they don't breed...then came Manaphy. I don't really think Ulgamoth is a legendary, but who knows? It could just be another trend-breaker.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom