• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which female companion did Ash have the least memorable interaction with?

Who had the least memorable interactions with Ash?

• Misty

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Dawn

Votes: 22 28.2%
  • May

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Iris

Votes: 33 42.3%

• Total voters
Don't'cha think it's a bit early to be judging Iris, eh Scott?

Yep, Misty defiantly had her fun in the sun with Ash a lot. The way she was always helpping him rude or not was pretty awesome. Sure she got angry a lot but, when she got Togepi you defiantly see more sides to her and whenever she wasn't angry she acted careing and nice to Ash and helped him out a lot. It was sweet and nice, she was always being critical of him at times. Whenever he did stupid stuff like using Caterpie to try to catch Pidegotto but, she cared for him a whole lot. Just like how in the Rudy eppy back when Squirtle learned Hydro Pump she helped him get back on his feet when he was flustered and he won the whole shebang and it was due to her support I thought it was kinda ironic the battle was between 2 water types and plus Misty and Ash both stuck together like Pidove of a feather like when they both defended that poor kid when he was being bullied by Giselle's classmates.

Hermione Granger. I don't remember their interactions at all.

Otherwise, I would go with Miss Terraced-Hair of Unova or May. In the end, I chose May, because I don't remember them interacting in any interesting way besides the mentor thing which Ash/Dawn did better.

Mrs. Ketchum. I don't even remember her being a companion!

Not voting, and it is a bit biased for me, but I have seen a little bit of interaction he's had with Haruka (even though I didn't see much of AG) and I have seen his interactions with Hikari (and I didn't watch all of DP, but way more than AG). I liked his interaction with Misty/Kasumi okay. Haruka wasn't bad either, and Iris is still too soon (imo), even though I like their lively interactions too. To me, if I was voting in this poll, I'd vote for Hikari. To me, their interactions weren't that memorable, a bit boring and dull from what I did see. As someone else put it, they just came across as extremely "bland".

Oh yeah, and the main reason I'm not voting is because I didn't see all of AG and DP and don't feel it would be fair to vote. I'm only basing this on what I have seen.

Last edited:
So I guess we can all agree that May's interaction with Ash is less memorarable but that doesn't mean it's meaningless. I except that May was preoccupied with other things and so was Ash. Contests were new and she was pretty busy. I however think she made a big impact in Pokemon. And if we were to ask Ash he would probably agree.

I feel that Iris interaction may only be less memorable because it doesn't seem like Ash reacts much to her taunts at all, he just shrugs it off.

With Dawn there was a LOT of interaction, and you'd have to be lying to say otherwise, but I suppose it depends if you really cared about them training together or high-fiving each other or stuff like that.

It's obviously Iris:

Meanwhile, as Satoshi and friend are sightseeing, they encounter the lost 'Fangs Pokemon', Kibago, and decide to help look for its owner together.

EDIT: It can't be Kasumi or Hikari. That's what I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps people are thinking about the group dynamics of the DP trio as a whole, which wasn't very memorable, instead of just the Ash and Dawn interaction.

Personally I was keeping Ash and Dawn's interactions in mind, not the DP trio's interactions as a whole. I just found them really boring and not memorable at all, which is why I voted for Dawn.

Oddly enough Dawn has the second most votes for least memorable interaction on the poll.

I'm actually not surprised by this. Because, I feel that what made Ash and Dawn's interactions great was also what in the end made them much less memorable (and to some people even boring), that is to say the realism with which the writers portrayed Ash and Dawn in DP. For the first time, the writers didn't rely on archetypes so much and went for a more realistic portrayal instead of exaggerating certain traits for comedy. DP Ash and Dawn, were much more three-dimensional as characters than Ash in other sagas and other main girls, at the cost of having really defining character traits. Dawn for example had vain moments, had overconfident moments, had moments were she doubted herself, had snarky moments, had comedic moments, had explosive temper moments, and so forth but there wasn't that one or two traits that were exaggerated to turn her into a real archetype, much like all of us are more than one or two traits of character.

Personally, I loved it and it's probably the friendship that I found the most interesting and memorable because of the level of realism. That being said, am I surprised Dawn's in second place? Not at all, because it much more easy to remember extreme character, archetypes, than it is to remember realistic characters.

Last edited:
Need I say it? Okay, I'll say it. Not Dawn at any rate.

Need I say it? Okay, I'll say it. Not Dawn at any rate.

Just a reminder, but in contest threads, not only do you have to say which you choice you picked in your post, but you have to justify your choice and explain why you voted that way.

I voted for Iris because while she pokes fun at Ash sometimes, he's not very responsive to her playfulness, and the two don't bond on very many occasions. They don't talk to each other one-on-one very often, and I feel like they haven't shown their vulnerable sides to one another. There's still time for that to happen in BW, however, but if their interactions are kept as is from now until the end of the saga, I don't think we'll be getting much.

Back
Top Bottom