• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Who do you prefer, Dawn's Piplup or Ash's Oshawott?

Piplup was shoved down our throats, but that made it funnier when Draco Meteor constantly dropped on him.

Oshawott is like an infectous growth or something: he's ugly and annoying, but he really grew on me. He's also shoved down our throats, but he has some badass moments.

I'd go with Piplup.

Oshawott is UGLY.
Oshawott's shell is completely overpowered in the anime.

Piplup wins.

Mijumaru is infinitely cuter and more entertaining that Potchama could ever hope to be.

I consider Mijumaru to be the pretentious water starter done correctly. The VA that plays Mijumaru just brings so much life into him; while there were instances where I just couldn't Potchama's jabbering. Potchama wasn't even funny; it was just annoying the way it tried acting so high and mighty.

Mijumaru is just goofy and cute.

They both are annoying. I chose Oshawott for the simple fact that's it's likely to evolve.

Oshawott. I can not fathem how much I f**king despies Piplup. True, Oshawott is being a bit forced, but it's nowhere near as bad as Piplup. Oshawott is a butt monkey, something Piplup fully reach until the end of DP, which by then he was so far past my 'the Scrappy' line that I find Scrappy f**king Doo more lovable then him!

Oshawott may be forced, but it's nowhere near as bad as Piplup. Thhere have been a few episodes which Oshawott has been absent from, while through out the entire DP saga, Piplup the number of episodes Piplup wasn't in was... One. Plus Oshawott's voice doesn't make me waant to bange my head in everytime I hear it. One of the main reasons I skipped DP was because I was getting sick of hearing 'PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPLUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!!!!!' every five god**** minutes. Nails on a f**king chulkboard are more pleasing to the ear.

Then there's always the chance that once Oshawott evolves, it'll stop failing/stop feeling so forced. Piplup's refusel to evolve was the final nail in the coffen for me. I have high hopes for Oshawott, and if the writers are trying to show more focus on him, hopefully that'll mean he'll be Ash's first water starter to evolve.

For the tl;dr people: Piplup is my most hated character in the series, hell, he's my most hated character of all time. I'm just glad he's finally out of the damn show, and seriously hoping Oshawott doesn't become another Piplup.

^ (Aestivate) What's the point of having two 'pretentious' water starters? Why copy?
I didn't like how piplup was shoved in out face, it's even worse now it's a pokemon with the most irritating personality ever.

uhhh... tough choice. So far I like both, but we've yet to see Oshawott expand more compared to Piplup. So I'll wait until at least BW reaches a year (or the end, depending on what BW wants to do) before I make my final decision.

I find both adorable. Piplup was horrendously annoying in the dub with its girly little "PIPLUP", though, so I hate the dub one. In the original, he sounds rather adorable.

Can't really decide between the two, but I am more entertained by Mijumaru because he doesn't belong to Hikari (I don't like her at all). It's more interesting to see Mijumaru puff up and try to be strong than Pochama.

I prefer Hikari's Potchama. I dunno if I'm just looking through tinted lenses or not, but he seemed to pay the price for his brattiness sometimes (the buttmonkey) while with Mijumaru he doesn't seem to encounter much of a downside. I think that Piplup, when played for a gag, was a bit more meaningful as well, especially in comparison to Mijumaru. I think that BW20 was a big offender of this, with the shell dropping thing.

I think in time I could like Mijumaru more; just have to see how Best Wishes goes with the otter.

I like neither one of them... But I have to say that anything, and now I mean ANYTHING is better than Piplup. That was the most annoying Pokémon EVER!
(It's trainer wasn't that great either...)
And Oshawott's evolutions are awesome.

Dawn's Piplup. I don't mind that it was an out of ball Pokémon, and for the most part, whenever it received screen time, it actually contributed to the episode's plot. There were a few instances where I think it was overused, however (Wallace Cup).

Ash's Oshawott (hopefully) still has development to undertake, though.

I wish I could watch Oshawott drop his shell forever. That's such a stroke of comic genius, that it's great they keep on reusing it.

I feel that Mijumaru is the lesser of two evils here. Pochama was ok in the beginning, but it's shtick got really old, really fast. When they used him properly, an episode could definitely end with entertaining results, but it was a rarity. Most of the time I just wanted him to piss off.

Miju is much more tolerable currently, and he isn't quite as 'in your face' as Pochama was. I've been amused by his antics on more than one occassion, and I think it helps that his character design is inherently sillier than his predecessor. It's easier to buy him acting the way he does.

Either way, I really don't like this 'second mascot' thing they've kicked off.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom