• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Why do so many people hate gen III?

When you affirm something that isn't true, its natural to see people disagreeing.

I'm sorry, but here you're basically calling me a liar for not liking the story of RS. This is not something that I appreciate.

He has a point. You can't rationally say that someone's personal opinion on a story is true or false, because an opinion is a reflection of the person making it. It's true to GTT because it's his opinion, so you can't call him a liar for stating his opinion. Granted, you may have read it as if he was stating a fact, but the phrase itself lends itself to opinion, not to true fact, so logically you have no ground to stand on in calling him a liar for telling you the truth about what his opinion is.

Myself, I never played any Pokemon game other than HeartGold and the TCG (I'm a newcomer; I was poke-deprived as a child), so I know better than to talk about what I don't understand. This time. (snickers)

Last edited:
I found Generation 3 so dull and I quit watching Pokemon when Generation 3 was released. Though, I didn't know it would get worse...Generation 4. Hikari made me so sick, I didn't even bother buying any Generation 4 games or watching the Sinnoh anime. Generation 4 was the absolute worst series. Then, Generation 5 got better, until they decided to add Hikari into a cameo for Best Wishes 2...then that was the last twig buster. >.<

I agree that Gen IV (minus HGSS) was easily their weakest Gen, but i still liked it

It appears many of you have thinking opposite of mine. I loved GIII, and hate GV. I would play years after a GIII game was released like it was brand-new, but find GV boring as hell. Could be that I didn't understand data structure or what/where everything was back then, though...

Well, looks like I became the villain in this and in the Gen II thread.
You really can't argue with the nostalgiafans.

Gen IV is the second best after Gen III, in my opinion, but it may change with Black and White 2.
Gen III > Gen IV > GenV / Gen I > Gen II.

Wow, nobody's ever called me a nostalgiafan before. Maybe it's because I think Platinum had the best story in the whole series with BW not far behind. Maybe it's because Milotic is one of my top five favorite Pokemon. Maybe it's because my list of favorite Grass types (this is important due to my namesake) includes Sceptile, Torterra, Serperior, Roserade, Breloom, and Ferrothorn. Maybe it's because I enjoy the Generation V metagame. Maybe it's because I don't even own a generation I or II game anymore. Maybe it's because I like a greater number of newer Pokemon than I do older ones.

And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, maybe it's because of this:

Gen III did bring many new goodies with it that I'm just now beginning to acknowledge. They invented natures and abilities. They revamped the IV and berry growth systems. It introduced some of the most awesome Pokemon to date (Milotic, Blaziken, Sceptile, Breloom, Salamence, the list goes on) and it delved deeper into the myths of the box legends than any game had before. It introduced contests (for better or worse,) which kick-started the new mini-game mechanic present in all games since (more contests in DPPt, Pokethlon in HGSS, Musical in BW,) it introduced us to the Battle Frontier, etc.

There are also the Gen III games that weren't RSE, all of which were terrific, in my opinion. From FrLg, to Colosseum, to XD Gale of Darkness.

I was a pretty big Gen III hater back in the day, but now I can recognize that Gen III did a lot of good things for the franchise. Overall, it's a solid installment into the Pokemon mythos and I harbor no ill will toward it...

See, last time I checked, bashing Gen I & II while blindly praising Gen III+ is not the definition of a true fan. Nor is anybody who dares say something negative about the newer gens while defending an older gen a nostalgiafan. Every generation has its positives and its negatives. I point out a positive thing about Gen II in one thread and a negative thing about Gen III in another one and suddenly I'm blinded by nostalgia. Somehow, I don't think that's how it works.

Last edited:

This is just laughable. We're not nostalgiafans - I think BW are the best games so far. It's you who is bashing Gen II and taking issue with any complaints against Gen III - it's why you are getting so much flak for this. You're acting like a Gen III purist, which is just as bad as a Gen I or II purist.

Alot of people say that Pokemon has gotten less creative. I unfortuantely am one of those people that say that too.
I don't really 'hate' gen III but it is probably my least favorite. I do remember thinking that those pokemon didn't look like pokemon.
I was 13 when it came out, so maybe its because I was growing up and there's all the nostalgic stuff.

With that said I bought all 3 of them and loved them xD Pokemon will be Pokemon! Even if I didn't like the designs they were still Pokemon. I can't help but to love every last one.

I have never played Ruby Sapphire but I like every other Main game in Gen III. I personally think the Pokemon in Gen III have the coolest designs.

The thing about creativity is that the more you stray form conventional designs (ie, most Gen I Pokemon being almost identical to everyday animals) the more creative you have to be.

In my case, it was two things: A distorted memory that, and don't ask me how cause I don't know, made me convinced I'd played it through using a skateboard instead of a bike, and that the battery on my Sapphire died. I dont even get how thats possibly. The battery on my original Silver still works! Yeah, I have emerald and its nice and all, but I liked Sapphire more.

Oh, right, nearly forgot: Feebas. FEEBAS. And when you finally, finally got one you better know exactly what to do because #$*( Milotic! >_<

in all the other games it's just land, grass, cave. rse was unique and had special environments. the music was amazing, and the gyms were challenging. but, yeah... I dislike the pokes at first, but they grew on me. other than that, no complaints. surfing was like all those caves in johto, really, only with better music, lol.

I hate how everyone says that ruby and sapphire were the low points in the series (13 million units). gold and silver barely sold more, 14.51 million units. and I find it funnier that crystal sold 3.75 million units and emerald sold 6.32 million units. when you add them gsc sold only 18.26 million units and rse sold 19.32 million units.

Last edited:
Well, there were two main reasons I hated RS at first.

1. Abilities. I think they're great now, but back then they were just something that made the game more complicated. I was on the verge of going postal with all those wild Electrike on Route 110 who knew Static. Meanwhile, my own Slakoth had the "ability" Truant, which caused it to miss every turn. This made me decide that abilities were stupid, and I longed for the old days when you only had to take type effectiveness and moveset into account.

2. Regardless of the fact that the game had nothing to do with this, I associated RS with Misty, my favorite character in the anime, being replaced by May and Max. I was a staunch Pokeshipper at the time as well, and it felt like a slap in the face. I'm still bitter about this, in fact. I like May as a character, but Misty was my favorite.

I like Gen III now. I'm replaying Fire Red, and it's wonderful. I bear no ill will towards RSE, and have, in fact, grown to love the Pokemon. I got to know many of them--Milotic, Pelipper, Dustox--through playing Diamond and Platinum. And I've gotten a much better grasp on abilities.

I still hate Static, though, and on Ruby (or Sapphire--I forget which), I've given an Everstone to my Vigoroth so it won't evolve.

I was never able to understand why people hated RSE so much. Ruby was the first Pokemon adventure game I ever played (before that I had played the Trading Card Game on the Color and Snap on the 64) and I feel by far it has the best Pokemon designs. After 3rd Gen, I feel the Pokemon just got worse and worse. I remember looking at the Pokemon coming out for Black and White and laughing hysterically about the majority of them. There are zero designs in Ruby that I really dislike. I also liked it because of the region. It was this wonderful tropical island of life, and felt really fun to explore. And I loved the water sections, I'm not sure why people don't. Out of all of the handheld games, I would also say this one is the most difficult out of the five. I've always loved these games and I still have the same Ruby I've had since the release.

OH and the advertising they used for the games. I loved the Pokemon people they showed, it was an Ever Grande Time!

Why Do People Hate Generation 3?

I honestly liked it. the Hoenn region is pretty cool. Groudon VS. Kyogre was kind of random, but slightly logical (explaining how wars can be started over the stupidest things). FireRed and LeafGreen were really good remakes. It introduced cool Pokemon like: Aggron, Shedinja, Ludicolo, Castform, Duskull, Banette, Wailord, Salamence and Flygon for example. Rayquaza was cool too. Nothing beats the original 150, but hey, some of the new ones are better than the old ones in my opinion (like Raticate, I really hate it, but that's just me). It's not that bad. If you have any opinion on this topic then please share it.

Re: Why Do People Hate Generation 3?

For me, it was the lack of post-game content. There was very little. All I can recall is the ship and the battle tower (Which I never did). Emerald improved with the addition of the Battle Frontier and extended Safari Zone. But following a generation where you had a lot of post-game content, it was just a disappointment.

Generation 3 is my favorite gen, and I've never come across anyone who hated it.

But I'm the opposite of most Pokemon fans: I like the newer stuff better. I love the 5th gen Pokemon and I think the first gen Pokemon are rather boring (aside from a few, like Vulpix, Dratini, and Eevee).

I wouldn't say I hate it, because it was a great generation, but it is my least favorite. I don't know, the Hoenn region and the 3rd generation Pokémon overall felt less Pokémon-ish to me. When I decide to play my Ruby version from time to time, sometimes I feel like I'm not playing a Pokémon game. I think that's just me, though.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom