• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime concepts that were thankfully removed

ehh123

Reaction score
Whenever a property gets an adaptation, things will get changed, added, or removed. Sometimes these new ideas are good but there are times where they just make you do a face palm. Thankfully, the writers will, once in a while, realize that these were bad ideas and either try to explain it away or just pretend that it never happened.

I can think of one incident on Pokemon that brings attention to this. In "Abra and the Psychic Showdown", a psychic said, "You can't control a Psychic type Pokemon without telekinetic powers." I could not believe what I had just heard. I don't know if this phrase was used in the original Japanese but I'm glad they didn't follow through with it. There have been plenty of characters since then who have used Psychic type Pokemon without telekinesis.

Can anyone else think of examples like this?

Last edited:
I'm not sure about "thankfuly removed," but I wanted the whole "Press the white button on your Pokedex" from Masaki's Lighthouse to explored again.

Heck, the Indigo league was full of this.

One of the rules was that if a pokemon fell asleep, you'd be disqualified. Another one counted switching as forfeiting. Thank Arceus they don't use those restrictions anymore.

Heck, the Indigo league was full of this.

One of the rules was that if a pokemon fell asleep, you'd be disqualified. Another one counted switching as forfeiting. Thank Arceus they don't use those restrictions anymore.
I'm guessing the people who made the rules never heard of Rest.

I'm guessing the people who made the rules never heard of Rest.

Also, it would mean that any pokemon who had the move sing/sleep powder/hypnosis and managed to land a hit every single time would win the competition without having to do much.

And in later generations, sleep talk and snore would be useless...

Basically I'm glad they got rid of non-Pokemon animals in the anime. It was just strange to have both.

I wish there had been an early Kanto episode where a 'mon used Rest.
"Dewgong, use Rest!"
*it falls to sleep*
"Dewgong is unable to battle! Pikachu wins!"
"Great job Pikachu!" "Pika Pika!"

Anyway, I'm glad they stopped having Ash release his pokemon or giving them away to some shmuck cotd for whatever excuse they could cook up at the moment. That was never a good idea, and especially bad when the 'mon in question had accomplished little to nothing during it's stay.

I can think of one incident on Pokemon that brings attention to this. In "Abra and the Psychic Showdown", a psychic said, "You can't control a Psychic type Pokemon without telekinetic powers." I could not believe what I had just heard. I don't know if this phrase was used in the original Japanese but I'm glad they didn't follow through with it.

It was inaccurately translated - the original line stated you couldn't bring out the true powers of a psychic Pokemon (not a Pokemon that is of the type "Psychic", but a Pokemon that is psychic. Completely different terms) unless you have psychic powers yourself. And that idea kinda-sorta stuck around. The Lila battle explored it a bit further.

"Gotta catch 'em all!"

Who expected Ash to catch every single Pokemon?

That line was invented by the English localizers and was never "part of the anime" in the first place.

It was inaccurately translated - the original line stated you couldn't bring out the true powers of a psychic Pokemon (not a Pokemon that is of the type "Psychic", but a Pokemon that is psychic. Completely different terms) unless you have psychic powers yourself. And that idea kinda-sorta stuck around. The Lila battle explored it a bit further.
Thanks

I'm glad that none of the current main characters or even re-occuring ones use mono-typed teams anymore. It's nice to have that kind of theme going, but it really hurts the variety of Pokémon that can be on the cast or be showcased.

My thoughts exactly.

I also like the fact that Pokemon have personalities that stand out and that they generally all do now.

Was their anythin' that could beat a psychic? It was like if they used Psychic or confusion they defeated their enemy.

I'm glad they realizing that they don't have to have Team Rocket in every episode. Hopefully they'll start doing that in the league, cuz they really shouldn't have had so much time during Ash V.S Nando battle.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom