• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW023: The Hiun Gym Match! Purehearted Bug Pokémon Battle!!

re: BW 023 "Hiun Gym Match, Purehearted Bug Pokémon Battle!" Review Thread

He finished Hoiga with Tackle and Energy Ball and cut himself free with Razor Leaf. Used 3-way String Shot to escape.

OH CRAP KURUMAYU'S SWARM ABILITY IS USELESS! FUCK!

Sewaddle loses Swarm when it evolves into Swadloon.

Instead, it gets Leaf Gaurd.

If it evolves again, it'll get Swarm back.

So, if Swadloon evolves again, we may just get to see it.

You might call this nitpicking but there's something that really pissed me off:
Doesn't Burgh look ridiculously unmanly (and I dare say even gay) with his leggings? Just because he's obviously some kind of artist doesn't mean that he also has to fit that stereotype of a typical artist and can't get a proper outfit. He definitely drew the short end of the stick when the writers distributed the clothes.

Frankly, I haven't decided yet what I'm more afraid of: Cilan's behavior or Burghs outfit... When did Pokemon start to get that liberal? Where is the "Dislike"-button here?

Possibly gay characters in MY Pokémon anime?! Yeah! Where's the "Dislike"-button?
Next to the "homophobia"-button I guess.

While not the weakest gym battle ever ( or even the weakest since Kanto) it was definitely one of the worst.
Watching it without keyhole didn't help. Satoshi's non-existant strategy and Artie's lame Protect-spamming ( why does this move pop up so much suddenly since BW started?) alongside a way too strong and unbelievable KO-ing Kurumiru/Kurumayu kinda ruined the battle to me.

Possibly gay characters in MY Pokémon anime?! Yeah! Where's the "Dislike"-button?
Next to the "homophobia"-button I guess.

While not the weakest gym battle ever ( or even the weakest since Kanto) it was definitely one of the worst.
Watching it without keyhole didn't help. Satoshi's non-existant strategy and Artie's lame Protect-spamming ( why does this move pop up so much suddenly since BW started?) alongside a way too strong and unbelievable KO-ing Kurumiru/Kurumayu kinda ruined the battle to me.

Harley would like a word with you.

"I have to go powder my noise!"

"My Webs are flaming!"

"See ya later, Hon."

Hell his Myspace should be enough proof http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/features/april_fools/2007/harley.html

Are you telling me that you were actually surprised by that?
I already knew that Unova would be the worst region after watching a few episodes... And now that I know that the 3rd gym battle wasn't worth the wait either, watching the DUB episodes will be even more tedious than expected as there will hardly be any interesting battles until at least(!) gym no. 3. :disgust:

Last edited:

The Gym battle was about on par with some of the average Gyms of the series. Anyone acting like it was terrible probably has a bias against Sewaddle.

The Gym battle was about on par with some of the average Gyms of the series. Anyone acting like it was terrible probably has a bias against Sewaddle.

To be honest, I wasn't even thinking of Sewaddle. I've already learned to simply ignore that unnecessary catch... I was actually referring to the "Ash once again had no strategy"-part in Teddiursa's post.

To be honest, I wasn't even thinking of Sewaddle. I've already learned to simply ignore that unnecessary catch... I was actually referring to the "Ash once again had no strategy"-part in Teddiursa's post.

How was Kurumiru an "unnecessary" catch just as unnecessary as Zuruggu or Hatooboh right?

How was Kurumiru an "unnecessary" catch just as unnecessary as Zuruggu or Hatooboh right?

You know there are actually a few cool Pokemon in GEN V like Chandelure, Gigalith, Braviary and Eelektross. But no, Ash had to be given the boring cookie cutter Pokemon, of course. It seems to me that this time the writers drew dice to determine which Pokemon Ash was going to get.

The real "unnecessary" catch were Snivy and Tepig, their capture only happened because they are starters. I'll not say anything about Miju, because it is unique and awesome.

Sewaddle is a nice non-starter pokémon and the first grass type (non-starter) that Ash caught. I can't see why it was unnecessary.

In fact, Miju, Sewaddle and Scraggy are the only nice pokémon that Ash has in the moment.

You know there are actually a few cool Pokemon in GEN V like Chandelure, Gigalith, Braviary and Eelektross. But no, Ash had to be given the boring cookie cutter Pokemon, of course. It seems to me that this time the writers drew dice to determine which Pokemon Ash was going to get.

Cookie Cutter Pokemon? Unpredictable with Starters and the bird of the region you may be right about that. But Kurumiru and Zuruggu weren't expected by me at all.

He's flamboyant yes, but there's a term for people like that who aren't gay

Metrosexual is the term I would use. "Camp Straight" sounds like one of those flashy buzz-terms deliberately devised by TV Trope users for the sake of being a flashy buzz-term.

Anyway, I happen to think that Arti's dress sense is pretty freakin' awesome. So there.^^

Last edited:

Honestly, the first thing I thought of when I first saw Burgh was 'hippy'. Even without the poncho or peace medallion or etc.

Also, what the hell is a 'hipster'? Evidently, I need to update my street lingo!

While I admit I was not fond of the pokemon choices on Ash's side here, that's not what made me dislike this battle as a whole. There have been many,many battles in this show featuring pokemon I'm not too fond of taking part in fights that have left me impressed.
That, and I never had much in the way of negative bias towards Kurumiru to begin with. It's still one of my favourite gen 5 evolution lines :p

Cookie Cutter Pokemon? Unpredictable with Starters and the bird of the region you may be right about that. But Kurumiru and Zuruggu weren't expected by me at all.
God forbid I agree with the Queen, of all, people, but I don't think it's unfair to think of this pokemon line in particular as being lackluster or unecessary. Tackle, Razor Leaf, Energy Ball? That's pretty much the staple moveset of grass type 'mons in this show. Adding to the fact he already has a grass type on his team, then...yeah. That's pretty solid ground to be less than impressed, I reckon.

Last edited:

Also, what the hell is a 'hipster'? Evidently, I need to update my street lingo!

Here ya go!

Hiphip131mymy-custom_876.jpeg

I agree that Arti was giving more hippy vibes than hipster vibes in his previous appearances. Here, he wasn't giving much of anything, neither was Ash, the peanut gallery, etc. Plus, no real strategies, lackluster movepools were rampant...

As expected, Tepig was the fall guy in this match just so Sewaddle could be inserted/evolve here, and for Pikachu to get the complete win with its Electro Ball.

I felt that their need to express Sewaddle/Swadloon and Pikachu improve over the course of this match was the reason why Tranquill was not included here, either.

It would have been interesting if we saw Burgh's Dwebble use Smack Down to get rid of Tranquill's flying ability, so even if Tranquill would have lost, there was an excuse for it...

One could argue that Swadloon serves as a grass-type cookie cutter in addition to it being a bug-type cookie cutter.

Think about it. Swadloon's primary attack is String Shot, the very same attack that almost every Bug-type pokemon Ash and May ever owned was shown to use. Swadloon now knows Energy Ball and Tackle (two attacks that Ash's Turtwig/Grotle was shown using).

The only attack Swadloon knows that none of Ash's other pokemon ever used was Bug Bite, and now it seems that the attack was replaced by Energy Ball and Tackle upon its evolution.

Just call Swadloon a Turtwig + Caterpie cookie cutter, and we're done.

@King Yes, but Kurumayu uses String Shot as a way to escape attacks. And slow down Pokemon. Wurmple used String Shot as a tug-o'-war rope and Caterpie as a tie up.

I never got that vibe at all Kurumayu has the "Leaf Guard" ability and is faster and more vicious. When I think of Torterra I think overweight kid in the class can't keep up. Kurumayu is more of a Spider-Man sort of Pokemon quick and speedy and good at evading.

@Grave-E Hey we don't know what the future holds. I could see a Bug Move in it's future.

I don't understand, does Ash know Pikachu can't use volt tackle anymore or something?

Apparently.

Although I'm sure they could bring it back down the road if they wanted to.

I don't understand, does Ash know Pikachu can't use volt tackle anymore or something?

That sucks if he can't. But he can check moves with the Dex.

Yes, I loved serious TR but I'm glad they finally went back to normal! OMG I hope that the Meowth balloon comes back omG that would make my day lol. Btw, what's happening with the TR vs TP episodes are they just being permanently skipped, I mean like cancelled, or are they just being post poned because they obviously don't care about confusing the kids since this just aired. But, what's going on with that episode? Anyway I'm sort of glad old TRio's back the serious them was good while it lasted but I'm glad the original them is making a come back :)

Yes, I loved serious TR but I'm glad they finally went back to normal! OMG I hope that the Meowth balloon comes back omG that would make my day lol. Btw, what's happening with the TR vs TP episodes are they just being permanently skipped, I mean like cancelled, or are they just being post poned because they obviously don't care about confusing the kids since this just aired. But, what's going on with that episode? Anyway I'm sort of glad old TRio's back the serious them was good while it lasted but I'm glad the original them is making a come back :)

They are just postponed. I think it is safe to say we will be seeing the episodes one day.

People are saying that Team Rocket are like they were in late-DP, but I don't really notice any differences between late-DP Team Rocket and any other pre-Best Wishes Team Rocket... Would someone fill me in on any differences they have spotted?

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom