• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview BW083 + BW084 Fierce Fighting at Tachiwaki Gym! VS Homika!! Part 1 and Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, now I'm confused here. First you guys complained about the anime not staying true to the games, now you're complaining about the anime following the game mechanics?

Ok, now I'm confused here. First you guys complained about the anime not staying true to the games, now you're complaining about the anime following the game mechanics?

I wouldn't mind if certain aspects of the games, such as the storyline and characters, are adapted into the anime in some form. Allowing Ash to use his entire team of pokemon to battle Homika's three pokemon is a completely different move, in my opinion. While the player character is technically able to use as many pokemon as he or she wants when challenging a gym leader, this doesn't really adapt well in the anime because Ash is perceived to have some overglorified advantage over the gym leader.

True, Ash already had an advantage when he fought gym leaders in the past when the referee prevented most of those GLs from substituting their pokemon. However, those GLs have pokemon that are powerful enough to warrant such a rule to take effect. Homika's pokemon may be powerful, and especially her Koffing, but I feel that this battle will not be as rewarding as it could have been if both trainers were given the opportunity to use the same number of pokemon. An experienced player of the games would usually have no problems taking down a gym leader with just one or two of his/her pokemon.

The writers want to create what appears to be a battle in Ash's favor and craft it in a way in which he must struggle to earn his final badge. Ash and Homika will probably have one pokemon each during the last battle of the match. This means that at least three of Ash's pokemon will be used just to get their asses kicked a few minutes later, which doesn't give Ash's current team any justice.

I have a suspicious feeling that the three pokemon that will give Ash his victories here are Leavanny, Pignite, and Pikachu. As much as I would like to see Boldore and Unfezant again, I couldn't stand that these pokemon, both of which had evolved and learned new attacks to win previous gym matches, would be treated as fall guys in the end. Finally, the mechanics of this gym battle gives the impression that Ash would not be able to defeat Homika if he was restricted to using three pokemon.

Last edited:

Users aren't a monolithic bloc who all think alike. Some people feel that the Animé should just adapt the games as they are and be as close to them as possible, while others feel it should be it's own thing. Making generalizations and thinking everybody is going to think the same way is rather a good way to be confused since you know of the whole different people hold different opinions thing. Personally, I think the Animé should take inspiration from the games, i.e. use the games' regions, setting, Pokémon, characters and so forth; use all of that to craft a cohesive and entertaining story, but they shouldn't adapt things that take away from that story. This is a case where adapting a game mechanic actually hurts the story and makes no sense whatsoever.

We don't even know what the whole story is yet. So of course it doesn't make sense.

We don't even know what the whole story is yet. So of course it doesn't make sense.

The "we don't know the whole story" argument really doesn't fly since we never know the whole story, this is preview thread. If we can't speculate or express an opinion without knowing the whole story, then the entire thread is just pointless. What we do know is that it'll be 6-against-3 That pretty much means that Satoshi needs his Pokémon to outnumber a Gym Leader's pokémon 2-to-1 to own a badge, which is in my opinion just ridiculous. It doesn't really prove anything, it doesn't make Satoshi seem ready for the League and actually makes his entire Isshu journey feel rather pointless, that he hasn't progressed or really hasn't gotten anything from it, and that his team is still rather weak. I'm really hoping there's an explanation that ties this all together and makes sense, makes Satoshi come out of this looking really competent and just ready for whatever the League throws at him, but honestly, I don't see it.

That being said, I rather look forward to see Homika, she looks like an entertaining character and her team looks great, but this whole 6-against-3 thing leaves me cold.

Well , I hope writer has a better excuse for this !
After Ash's battle with Suwama , Poacher & Brycen , I start to think that Ash returning to his DP Self !
Plus , Do you saw how Ash manage to solve the crisis with Ferroseed when Georgia & other had nothing more to do after all the Ice Pokemon got tried and Then Machine was Destroyed in the lasted Episode ?
He even use Pikachu to heal those Ferroseed & he do it without Cilan telling him what to do !
So , I hope of Ash finally returning in his DP self is on the Rise !
So , I don't want this 6 on 3 battle in this episode to ruin my hope of Ash becoming the same experience DP Ash ! !
I mean , When thing finally becoming more interesting , Why ruining it with another BULLSHIT Episode !

The "we don't know the whole story" argument really doesn't fly since we never know the whole story, this is preview thread. If we can't speculate or express an opinion without knowing the whole story, then the entire thread is just pointless. What we do know is that it'll be 6-against-3 That pretty much means that Satoshi needs his Pokémon to outnumber a Gym Leader's pokémon 2-to-1 to own a badge, which is in my opinion just ridiculous. It doesn't really prove anything, it doesn't make Satoshi seem ready for the League and actually makes his entire Isshu journey feel rather pointless, that he hasn't progressed or really hasn't gotten anything from it, and that his team is still rather weak. I'm really hoping there's an explanation that ties this all together and makes sense, makes Satoshi come out of this looking really competent and just ready for whatever the League throws at him, but honestly, I don't see it.

That being said, I rather look forward to see Homika, she looks like an entertaining character and her team looks great, but this whole 6-against-3 thing leaves me cold.

Agreed, I'm not a fan of the 6 on 3 battle either.. however I think it'll still be a good battle regardless

I wonder if the executives of the marketing department of TCPi know English, or even look at what we say here without thinking of CISPA and easy lawsuit cash form copyright infringement and intellectual property theft, instead of our criticisms and concerns with their decisions...

It's not the writers' fault, they have to write what the marketing execs tell them to. If anything, we should be attacking UCLA and USC for teaching that only the young fans matter, and that continuity is not a problem, as long as a franchise hemorrhages enough cash to pay the 1%'s excessive salaries.

I dislike the 6-on-3, but I won't complain until I see the content of the episode, as that may override the problems with the set-up.

But more importantly....GUNK SHOT! GUNK SHOT! GUNK SHOT!!!!!

That is enough satisfaction for now, in my case...

GUNK SHOT...about...bloody...time!

Also, here's hoping that Palpitoad is the final choice.

This is a music-based Gym Leader...the final Pokemon of Ash has been suspiciously absent...we've got Meloetta following Ash from the last episode...

Do you think...you know, Ash might USE Meloetta in a Gym Battle?

I really, really don't see what the big deal about the six vs. three thing is. I think it's a refreshing change of pace.

Quattro ~ Bajeena said:
Do you think...you know, Ash might USE Meloetta in a Gym Battle?

That would be awesome, but since I don't think he's actually capturing the legendary pokemon I think it's unlikely. Maybe they'll do what they did with Ghost back in Kanto and have Meloetta help out Satoshi of its own volition?

Well, that could explain why we haven't the sixth member showing yet. As cool as it can be, I still have hopes on palpitoad being the 6th.

Oh, And since the last gym is a "musical" one and the last episode of Best Wishes season 1, i have this crazy impression we could have Ash performing the OP theme with Homika as musical accompaniment.

Oh, And since the last gym is a "musical" one and the last episode of Best Wishes season 1, i have this crazy impression we could have Ash performing the OP theme with Homika as musical accompaniment.

That would be fucking awesome.

And doesn't Homika have backup? They could really rock out.

I know his voice actor is a singer, but it'd be pretty odd for Ash himself to suddenly rock out and start to sing...

As far as I knows, Best Wishes hasn't been used as an insert song yet, so this would be a great place to use it though.

I really, really don't see what the big deal about the six vs. three thing is. I think it's a refreshing change of pace.
Refreshing change of pace =/= Being a good idea.

The thing that annoys me is the knowledge that every other time I've piled hate on an episode in advance because of the plot, it has turned out to be awesome - so while I absolutely hate every part of this episode in theory (Homkia being the last Gym, being way too strong for her presumed skill level based on the games, the numbers advantage and what that means for this battle as proof of relative strength and Ash's stupidity in Pokemon choices), I just know I'll both end up really enjoying watching it and will end up somewhat placated by the explanation given for the issues or being able to believe Ash actually earnt the badge, despite that sounding completely impossible at this point.

I remember they hid Ash's last Pokemon in the Tobias match (Swellow), because they didn't want to spoil he had a Latios.

Anyone think they're hiding Ash's last member because it might be Snivy evolving? Just a thought. If not, it probably will be Palpitoad.

Tsutarja is in the movie, so no, she won't be evolving.

Plus, it seems odd they would hide an evolution. We've seen Pokemon outright evolve in previews before.

Well after seeing the preview where we hear homikas voice fer da first time, i hope that her english voice actor does not sound like a rusted chevy bottoming out on concrete like her japanese one does.:dumb::bash::bash::banghead:
i cant stand it when they sound all too similar because she sounds almost like ash's voice acter but more high pitchy. fix that and my aproval of the episodes will go up automtically 15 points.

Im thinking the last poke will be Palpitoad. This Gym battle seems like an excuse for the writers to chuck in as many neglected pokes as they can, so having palpitoad would make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom