• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review DP189: Shin'ō League Semi-Finals! Enter Darkrai!!

Re: DP 189 " Sinnoh League Semifinals! Darkrai Appears!!" Preview Thread

I guess I'll have my words. For one, none of you saw Swellow coming. Now Sceppy gets to join Ash's elite legend defeaters. Pika technically got another legend under it's belt, but it got knocked out, too. The last opponent the legend trainer fought couldn't get past Darkrai, so Ash is the only one in the entire tournament to defeat it.

In my post yesterday, I said Ash perhaps had what it takes to go all the way. Today, it was proven with no doubt whatsoever. He defeated not one legend, but two, and even if I'm uncertain on Darkrai, Latios is nothing to sneeze at. If it were not for this, Ash would've definitely won the tournament himself. The writers will be hard pressed to deny that kind of skill. Today, Ash has shown us that he is almost there. Circumstances willing, or even if he conquers a greater challenge (I can scarcely imagine it), we may see him conquer a league sooner than we expect.

(Just to note Latios did not actually say that).
He might as well have!

And Pikachu for the double knockout win. A little disappointing. I was so on the edge of my seat that I wanted to see what his third Pokemon would be. I wish they had let Pikachu last just a smidge longer.

Towards the beginning of the battle I was thinking cool Ash is being real smart by sending out heracross first. As he faints followed by torkoal and gible fainting right the bat I started to get disappointed for what was ahead. But sceptile shows how freaking awesome he is by taking out darkrai which was completely unexpected. Then next I'm starting to think he'll send out entei or lucario when all of a sudden here comes latios with its troll face throwing all of us for surprise. I was a little let down by ash using swellow as his sixth since there isn't much excitement there. Well anyway though the battle between pikachu and latios was unbelievably awesome and I must say I enjoyed the episode even though Ash lost.

You have to wonder what would have happened if Infernape or Charizard were used instead of Torkoal. Snorlax might have done well against Latios, too.

You have to wonder what would have happened if Infernape or Charizard were used instead of Torkoal. Snorlax might have done well against Latios, too.
Same thing. The outcome would've only been different if they had more time.

I was hoping to see more of Takuto's team. My prediction was that his last pokemon would be a F.E.A.R. Ratatta because that would be hilarious.

I honestly felt like the first half of the episode was basically just kicking the fandom in the balls. The fact that Satoshi was the only one to score any KO's on Takuto's team, and two of them at that, does kind of make up for it. Satoshi would have obviously beaten the guy who Takuto beat in the final.

What I have to ask here though is....WHY? WHY be so quick to make Satoshi lose, especially when the next arc is apparently going to be a lot faster paced than previous story arcs? Couldn't they have drawn on the league for another 3 or 4 episodes or so, and have the new anime series start later? This was just far too rushed for me.

What I have to ask here though is....WHY? WHY be so quick to make Satoshi lose, especially when the next arc is apparently going to be a lot faster paced than previous story arcs? Couldn't they have drawn on the league for another 3 or 4 episodes or so, and have the new anime series start later? This was just far too rushed for me.

I feel the same like you. Also, Ash could have win the league without Takuto.

Why? Because they wanted to make Satoshi's battle with Shinji the focal point, not Satoshi's battle with New Guy Who Beats Him.

But still, not only does Satoshi get further in a league than ever before, he also does far better against Takuto than the other finalist, and is apparantly the first trainer ever to defeat one, let alone TWO of Takuto's Pokemon. That sure is something, and while the first half of the episode was mostly just setting up Darkrai as a unbeatable force, the second half was a pretty bitchin' awesome battle.

I approve.

I don't understad why people are so dissapinted. Ash actually beated 2 legendaries. We all thought he will lose without taking out even Darkrai, so I'm satisfied.

It's bittersweet.

I enjoyed the fight, but for some reason they couldn't extend it further. Blame release dates or bad planning or vicious executives -- we'll probably never get a reason why the league had to be as streamlined as it was this time.

If you ask me, it was a smart decision to change up the playing field and have Ash face an insurmountable adversary.

Makes me wonder where the kid who showed up with a Heatran placed. I like to think it was an epic defeat, with much lens flare and dramatic silence.

I don't understad why people are so dissapinted. Ash actually beated 2 legendaries. We all thought he will lose without taking out even Darkrai, so I'm satisfied.

I know right, he not only beat Darkrai, but he tied with Latios too. That's very impressive.

Sceptile winning against Darkrai, Swellow battling...omg, I'm so happy right now. I didn't know they'd be used but they were.

I know right, he not only beat Darkrai, but he tied with Latios too. That's very impressive.

Sceptile winning against Darkrai, Swellow battling...omg, I'm so happy right now. I didn't know they'd be used but they were.

Yeah, it was awesome. Sceptile was about to lose. I think it proved its lose vs Regirock, back then, could've been a win if Ash had been able to contol himself.

I guess this truly shows just how unpleasable we are. I don't care what any of you say, that was epic beyond comparison. Thank you for making my choice for me, though. I now know what I must do...

The battle doesn't sound cheap.
well done writers!

Really happy that Sceptile got a victory here and Pikachu as well. It is fitting that Pikachu is the last pokemon that Ash used in the league, and it went out on a draw, which is positive. Ash looked strong in defeat. Hopefully he can go all the way in Isshu...

I don't see why there are complaints about the match still. Ash didn't get fully sweeped just by Darkrai. Darkrai only took out half of Ash's pokemon (same as Infernape with Paul) and it got taken down by Sceptile with Ash having two other pokemon remaining. And then when Latios came into play, even though Ash lost, he still was able to take it down too.

That's not one legendary, that's two. Some people didn't even think that he'd win against Darkrai in the first place. How impressive is that to beat two legendaries in the league when no one else can beat the first one.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom