• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

I'll translate Pokémon for the Hebrew dub!

Piplup

XY
Reaction score
I know most people here don't care about the Hebrew dub but... let me celebrate XD
Some of you probably remember I said how I tried to help them with names of Pokémon/attacks/etc... in the latest seasons (since they always make mistakes and can't be consistent)
At the middle of season 11 from ep 21 to 46 a horrible translator did the translation and the whole dialogue was totally ridiculous... it's crazy they actually aired such thing... a lot of people complained about how many things didn't make sense and so on...
This translator won't continue to work... and now they actually asked me to translate 47-52 !! I already did ep 33 (Gligar->Gliscor) as a test (I guess they didn't use it for the dub since it was just a test and the bad translator probably did that already) and I guess it was good enough for them
The dead line is crazy so I really hope to make it in time... I don't want to rush with it, it's really important to me to make it as good as possible

And... that's it really... I hope this won't get locked or something XD I know there's not much to discuss but it's not a usual thing to see a member of Bulbagarden begin to work on Pokémon in some way, right?

Congrats Pip! If that ain't Bulbacast/Bulbanews worthy news, I don't know what is! ;-)

Last edited:
That is SO cool! Congratulations! I really wish that I'd get to work on the Finnish dub someday...

Congrats, Piplup!

Do you get paid for this or is it just volunteer work?

Thanks everyone! Of course I get paid for this! that would be crazy to translate whole episodes and have the stress to finish every ep to its dead line for free XD
I really hope to leave a good impression on them (which shouldn't be hard if they could accept that one horrible translator) and hopefully I'll get next season too

Right now I'm doing my first ep, the one with Aaron
I want to get to Barry's episodes already!

That's awesome! It's great you don't have to worry about the accuracy of your dub anymore.

That's awesome! It's great you don't have to worry about the accuracy of your dub anymore.

Well, the text first go to a... spell editor? not sure how that's called in English XD and maybe other things that I don't know... so they might change a little... and eventually during the dubbing they sometimes make some changes here and there (to better fit the lips, if the VA has trouble with a certain line and prefer to change it a little and so on) so I wouldn't say anything is 100% safe until it air
But sure most of the text will stay as it is and I'm very happy to be able to save Pokémon, especially now that the whole dialougue became ridiculous and not only the Pokémon terms/names

From ep 33 and on, Dawn's VA (which is my favorite, and also a great director/translator/everything XD) is the new director since the previous one works on a certain movie now and he couldn't continue Pokémon
She's very nice person and she knows how much Poké is important to me... I think it's mainly thanks to her that I got it (the previous director was the one who checked my test translation, but he didn't tell me anything... but from what I heard he was pretty content and he's one that it's hard to impress)

I guess if Dawn's VA will do next season too, it's safe to say I'll continue... if the other director will do it... I believe he'll at least give me a chance

Nice job, man. How did you get that job?

During "Pokémon Chronicles" me and two other friends did lists of names/attacks/etc since they never translated them good and didn't bother to stay consistent
Then I did such lists alone, for season 10
Sometimes they listened more, sometimes less...
I did these for season 11 too and eventually got to read the translators' text to fix such mistakes
When the bad translator began I ended up actually fixing the whole text (which it seems like they didn't even use my fix) but eventually decided to stop since it was too much work and his translation was awful
I decided to ask for a test-episode and I got ep 33 (Gliscor and Gary) to do as my test...
Now the bad translator decided not to continue and they asked me to do it, of course I had to agree!

That's fairly impressive. What is your deadline, though?

47-48: the 5th, 49-51: the 11th and 52 on the 14th
And at first they wanted it even faster... too bad they seem to prefer speed over quality, but I'll do my best to make it in time and still do it as good as I can!

And thanks everyone! I was afraid maybe some will see this as "spam" and no one would care XD It's nice to get such replies... now I better stop wasting time and go back to translate...

Wow Piplup! I'm so pleased for you :-D I've heard you complain about the crap quality translation for a while, it's great that you'll be able to do something about it!

Congratulations! Sounds pretty awesome. Like a dream job almost.

Well, the text first go to a... spell editor? not sure how that's called in English XD
I think the word you're looking for is proofreader.

Congratulations on that. And how could a topic Bulbabagarden member actually getting paid to work for the anime be considered spam? That is awesome.

Oh man, that is really cool Piplup! You get to work to translate your country's official Pokemon dub, quite an honor.

Wow, that is so cool, getting the honor to be able to translate your country's dub! I think that's a cool thing to do.

I think the word you're looking for is proofreader.

Right, thanks

Congratulations on that. And how could a topic Bulbabagarden member actually getting paid to work for the anime be considered spam? That is awesome.

I don't know, I thought people wouldn't care since it's for the Hebrew dub which no one here watch other than me and SB...
Thanks everyone!
I'm now almost done with 47-48, just need to go over them and make some corrections and that's it
Too bad I'm not supposed to translate the notes... some of them are pretty nice and could help to make a better dub ("Paul should talk more gentler to his starter Torterra" and things like that... they also note sometimes to keep some BGM which is anyway irreleveant for us since wenever change BGM... and no, I still can't make sense of their choices for what's "important" to keep... but it seems they like game music)

I don't know, I thought people wouldn't care since it's for the Hebrew dub which no one here watch other than me and SB...

Hey now, you know I don't watch it anymore. Though I think I'll watch the episodes you translated and those that will undoubtedly follow... you know, up till the point where I stopped watching the anime altogether. But you know you have my support.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom