• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs!

Ivysaur

SoFloFoSho
Reaction score
This game's obviously been overshadowed by Black and White, but nonetheless, Guardian Sings has just been released in the United States today. Has anyone bought it? What are your thoughts of the game? Post them here.

I've never played any of the games in this series, but depending on the reviews I may pick up Guardian Signs.

So yeah, I'd also like your opinions!

I tried to buy it today but apparently it's not "in stores". The guy at gamestop told me the 4th is the ship date, so I should get my copy in a day or two. It pissed me off tho

I have heard countless accounts of people not being able to find it. I went to look myself and I didn't find it, either. Admittedly, I am not in a good place to get games on it's intended release date, but apparently EVERYWHERE, stores set the release date one or two days after the intended one. If this is true, then something really bogus went down on this release. Do they care? Absolutely not. This game has seen the least attention I have ever seen for a game, even in it's marketing, save for minor games released under the radar. This is NOT a minor game. I'm not sure what gives, but I wish I had more information. Did anywhere get this game on the release date?

I suppose I'm lucky. I was going to get it yesterday, but I didn't have time. I'm going out to get it now, so hopefully it's here today.

depends on reviews

IGN gave it a 7, although they were never big fans of Ranger in the first place.

Anyway, I went to GameStop, and they didn't have it. :/ I should've called and asked. Hopefully they have it by tomorrow.

Normally, I'd be annoyed, but it's not like I'm through White version yet. Speaking of White... Nintendo picked a very odd release date for this game. Right after Black and White? It makes no sense. Tons of people have imported those, and even those who don't are too busy watching playthroughs and talking about them. Not many people are going to want this game, evident by the small amount of posts this thread has gotten so far. I'll never know why Nintendo couldn't had gone through the localization process just a little bit quicker and had released Ranger 3 a month or so ago.

Anyway... has anyone managed to get this game yet?

NOA doesn't base its release schedule on what's coming out in Japan. Believe it or not, the overwhelming majority of fans actually haven't played Black & White yet. For a lot of people, HeartGold and SoulSilver were the most recent games released.

But anyway, it's a damn shame this game isn't getting the attention it deserves. It's freaking amazing and I feel like every fan owes it to themselves to give it a playthrough.

I'll try and get this game soon enough. Although it might not be overshadowed by B/W's release in Japan, HG/SS still has appeal to the States' fans and I hope that this game gets its fair share of attention because from what I've heard, the story deserves it.

IGN gave it a 7, yes, but only because they may have found the consistent looping/circling "repetitive". Well then, I must be in the minority who likes drawing circles for 16+ hours intensively :p.

Question: Are there any limited time download missions being offered at the moment? I was planning on waiting til I had some more spare cash and time to pick this up, but I hate missing out on those sorts of things.

There isn't much they could've done to avoid the JP release of B/W. I'm pretty sure the localization does not take that into factor. They only care about when games release here, and not in another country. Even if they did, the normal wait between JP version and English is 6 months. That would've placed it squarely in September, and it wouldn't have mattered anyway. Even for the JP release, we learned of the first fifth gen poke a month after this game was announced. Even then, we said that it would drown in fifth gen fever. That wasn't exactly it's fate, although the HG/SS English release did not help it, either. If that is what you meant, then I see what you mean, but I was under the impression Ranger had a much stronger following than this.

NOA doesn't base its release schedule on what's coming out in Japan. Believe it or not, the overwhelming majority of fans actually haven't played Black & White yet. For a lot of people, HeartGold and SoulSilver were the most recent games released.

I suppose you're right, but it still seems like an odd release date to me. Oh well. :/

Question: Are there any limited time download missions being offered at the moment? I was planning on waiting til I had some more spare cash and time to pick this up, but I hate missing out on those sorts of things.

The Dexoys and Manaphy missions have already begun to be distributed. It's not known for how long they'll last.

I'm still waiting for its EU release. Really looking forward to it, especially because I haven't spoiled myself for the game at all :3

the real question is, why zee fawk did we get Reshiram and Zekrom revealed to us at the same time as Japan?
It seems like Nintendo wants this game to sell bad.
Cause, you could imagine, a little kid wants to get Black and White, however, he also wants guardian signs.
Guadian Signs is before Christmas, but Black and White is after.
Black and White are so far away from Christmas 2011.
So the kid would save his present for March 2011, or make his Chrsitmas present a preorder of Pokemon Black/White.

Woah, they released it in the US?! News to me.....wonder why I haven't seen any commercials?

The Pokemon Ranger seires seems to bewilder me, as i sometimes feel it
overcomplicates things, while other times it does them perfectly. i owned Shadows of almia, but not the first one, as i was not even interested in the ranger series, and only got the second one because of my friend.

Don't get me wrong, it is enjoyable....just for about ten minutes, and i'm not saying this blindly either, as i have one of the games. however, it stilll is charming, and i do enjoy. I'm not 100 sure if i will buy it, but i might, depending on my money and interest.

Honestly, though, for people who haven't played the ranger sieries, i advise you not to get it, unless you either wanna waste time, money, or just trying to "be cool" because i can assure you that the game somewhat is overcomplicated. and with the signs and stuff added, i think it ruined the traditional gameplay.

However, it is a good series when it comes to stroyline, as i will say, it is marvelous. while it doesn't exactly have anything to do with the main games' plot, it does have a good story line within it's region. it does seem fun to play, but like i said, you'll probably get bored after a couple days.

so, my final choice, is a maybe, as while the games seem to confuse me and excite me at the same time, i just can't resist the spectacular story, and realism.

The Pokemon Ranger seires seems to bewilder me, as i sometimes feel it
overcomplicates things, while other times it does them perfectly.

While I doubt I'll find it overly-complicated whatsoever, the original Ranger felt very basic to me (never did play Almia, though), so this seems more of a good thing than a bad thing to me.

The Dexoys and Manaphy missions have already begun to be distributed. It's not known for how long they'll last.
Considering how little attention anyone gave it, I'm hoping its indefinite.

I recall being able to download SoA's Extra missions (Dialga and Palkia) long after all the other events were canceled.

All right boys and girls, by the demand of two people and probably more who didn't see the blog about it, it's time for the shocking sequel to my LP of the second Ranger Game! I got it today - again it was in the back room. Title screen seemed pretty weak.

This means going away from SMT:SJ for the time being. Which sucks, because that was providing a freshest monster training experience I've had in a while. I guess we're going from a Wendigo, a demonic superpenguin, and...this weird ball thing...to things that defy all known laws of physics and can apparently fuck up any human no matter what.

Part 1: Oblivia - The Most Negatively Named Region
Before we hop in, might I comment on the name of this place? Whatever, you can't stop me. This is a video game - and a Pokemon one at that - so we know we're going to be dealing with some evil force threatening to destroy or conquer the world or wherever. Were the people who made this land expecting it to be destroyed?

So I'm prompted to choose my character between boy and girl. Both kind suck, so I'll go with my gender. Last time I checked, I still had a penis, so we'll go with the guy.

Thee scene switches to The Oblivia Region, High in the Sky. Pidheys fly by (a pidgeon flying that high?), then something comes out. It's Latios, and we're shooting at it! Well, actually, two people in green on...something...

??? (left)
Whee haa!

Somebody's enjoying themselves.

??? (right)
Just give up already!

Do you really think you can get away?!

This is what I hate about chases. It'd be easy for Latios to just try a somersault, and Hyper Beam those two bastards into the next week. But this is a video game, where everyone but the playable character is stupid.

??? (left)
You just don't know when to give up!

After all, if a fucking Pidgey is a deadly threat to a 10 year old, I'd imagine a legendary Pokemon would be able to annihilate a bunch of little punks 2000 feet in the air on floating platforms by just ramming them. Ironic how the game about demons is the more realistic of the two, is it not?

They move in to catch the idiot when...

??? (right)
Wh=who's that?!

If my memory serves me correct, it's an Alteria.

Wait, nope, it's just a Staraptor. Motherfucking ME on a Staraptor. Compare that to the character's entrance in the previous games - in the first I forget, but it sucked, and the second it starts with him moving away to school. Here, he flies in on a Staraptor hoping to fuck up a couple of evil team members.

??? (left)
Red goggles, a yellow scarf...

A skiier?

??? (right)
And a Capture Styler!

Nope, a Pokemon Ranger, motherfuckers!

Voice Nav.
Your adversaries are using
Pokemon to attack.

I get this sweet messager here. Fuck you Rhythmi, fuck you whatever was in the first game, all we need is TECHNOLOGY!

A Pidgey attacks. I, with my excellent experience, capture the bastard in less than 3 seconds.

001. Pidgey

I get a browser entry after this. I'll be keeping track of catching 'em all like I did before.

??? (left)
Not only was our Pidgey
captured, our target got away!

Why attack with Pokemon when you have death lasers?

??? (left)
It's hard to beleive someone could
pull off a midair capture like that.

Yeah, my name's...wait, I haven't gotten a chance yet,

??? (left)
This is how we dispose of
unnecessary trash!

With a Plasma Cannon!

Hey, gotta give'em credit there. Of course, since I'm apparently the biggest badass ever despite being like 7 or 8, I just take evasive action.

??? (left)
How did that Ranger manage to dodge
my attacks...?

Suck it.

??? (right)
You are good...but let's see if you can
handle our double-team attack!

At this point, I get manual control. I don't even think it's possible to die here, since you have 10 HP, and they only fire 8 shots and kinda suck at aiming. They run out of ammo at this point

??? (right)
I guess we'll just have to ram'em!

You'd take on a giant bird with a machine?

Summer
Are you sure you want to do that?

Hey, this game has been pretty good so far in mimicking my sentiments exactly. Someone else shows up - I think the female - and they decide to get out.

???
Wait!

Oh, what now?

???
There is one more on our side now!

Out pops someone who looks like Dawn in a red shirt on a red...thing.

??? (left)
Our leader!

This game does not fuck around.

??? (middle)
Two aerial Ranger brats putting
on airs with their bright red goggles
and yellow scarves. What a joke!

When I want airs, I always use Rebook shoes.

Summer
Who's the joke?

You're the leader of a team that can't
even handle a couple of "brats"!

OH SNAP! You just got served, bitch! The consequences for mouthing off like that?

??? (middle)
Skydiving...with no parachute!

I believe that's called "suicide". I take the shot like a champ.

??? (middle)
'Cause now they're hurtling
headfirst into the ocean.

He tells Summer to thank me because of my actions. Though I could...you know...make like a starfish and spread the impact out over my body.

Summer
What did you say!?

He saved me, and is now falling
into the ocean!?

Need to not get the quotes by so fast...not that it's a particularly interesting one. Instead, they settle for kidnapping her. Also, as stated, instead of going headfirst, I go legfirst. Break my legs instead of my head! Brilliant!

Voice Nav.
The Capture Styler has come off!

Oops. I guess even in the land of technology, they still haven't invented straps that can keep stuff on upon high impact.

I'm liking this so far.

Part 2: The Great Underwater Search
The Voice Nav. gives an urgent warning to reattach the Capture Styler. However, it then dies. I, on the other hand, do not. Because I'm the 7-8 year old badass. I am prompted to hold the screen vertically, Wonderswan Color style.

Another minigame. This time, I need to catch up to the Mantyke which stole the Styler. A gauge fills up, and I need to double tap when it's full to get a burst of speed. Also, I need to dodge bubbles. Again, there is no pressure here. I end up at the bottom of some ruins and get my property back.

Voice Nav.
Danger!
Danger!

Massive object approaching!

Oh shi-!

Voice Nav.
Danger!
Danger!

Extremely strong current!

I love the Voice Nav. Straight, and to the point. If this were Rhythmi, I'd get something "Watch out! I'm getting a reading that something big is nearby! Oh no! A strong current is heading towards you! Get out of the way!" but I wouldn't be able to get out of the way.

Voice Nav.
The current
is zzz zzz zzz...

Voice Nav. though? It tells me like it is. Then it dies. The object in question? A big-ass submarine! And yes - the current pushes me pretty good.

I get asked to save at this point, which I naturally do.

Part 3: Z.Z. Top
Attention, Z.Z. Flyer Squad!

The scene opens on the submarine, with some voice talking about the Z.Z. Flyer Squad. If it's anything like Z.Z. Top, I'd imagine they really aren't all that.

Our target is Dolce Island!
Commence attack now!

The Z.Z. Fliers appear to be those platforms from earlier.

???
All right, Pinchers, let's go!

Thank god they changed the name of these guys. "Pokemon Nappers" sounded more like a company that makes sleeping pills.

???
Dolce Island is uninhabited

Err...then why are they attacking it?

???
We can do whatever we want,
and no one's here to see!

???: "At long last, we'll be able to have sexual relations with our cousins in peace!"

The team flies off boldly. And it is here we see a Pichu...several more Pichus...and come Marills and Bulbasaurs for some reason. Where exactly the banjo the one came from is never elaborated on.

???
You two, split up!
Capture them!

Instead of weird machines or...whatever they used in the first game...the Pinchers have the power to shoot ripple lasers out of their hands and make the Pokemon disappear!

???
Still, it's amazing that
in such a short time,
we were able to pinch
this many Pokemon.

Hey, I gotta give'em credit. Any other evil team would've fucked around in urban areas and gotten invariably foiled.

???
It's all thanks to these new
Control Gauntlets they gave us.

Technology at its finest *sniff*. No laptops or nuclear bomb shaped heavy machines here. Nope - just things you wear on your hand and are easy to use.

???
We couldn't find the Pokemon
we were looking for.

???: "I guess Mewthree isn't here after all, but we'll find him! Where is that Mist Stone..."

???
But that also means that Pokemon
isn't here, which is valuable
information, too.

???: "One location down, about forty billion to go."

???
Let's return to the base and
have our leader tell us
what a good job we've done!

They have done a good job. Well done guys!

Pibanchu shows up next. Then I get a flashback sequence for some reason.

Hastings
Young Pokemon Rangers.
I've heard so much about you.

Wait, what? Of course you have you idiot - in the first and second game!

Hastings
I'm Prof. Hastings, the
Ranger Union's Chief of Technology.

Oh, he's talking about us. Fuck yeah. Wait, why am I not like Rank Infinity already if I'm this badass?

Hastings in the flashback talks about an "extrodinary mission". I guess he forgot about Vlad and whoever I named the guy in the first.

Hastings
There is an awful group of people who
control Pokemon and take them from
their homes.

Yeah, they're called Pokemon Trainers, stupid! I love'em to death, but I do have to bring this up to myself every time when I play.

Hastings
Up until recently, the members
worked independently, but now
these Pokemon Pinches are
starting to become a unified outfit.

The question is why.

Duh. They want to form Captain Pincher.

THIEVERY!
CAMOFLAUGE!
HYPNOSIS!
SNEAKINESS!
STEALTH!
GO PINCHER!

Hastings
In any case, they're probably
up to no good.

Well, they haven't started makin' trouble in my neighborhood yet, so I don't see what the problem is.

Hastings
I want you two to head for the Oblivia
region, investigate their plans,
and, if necessary, stop them.

Hastings: "We're the only ones who have the right to control Pokemon here!"

Fatass I mean Murph shows up after this. He offers an explanation of the Oblivia region. I'll spare you this lame exchange.

Hastings
In a sense, it's a place the rest of
the world has forgotten about.

Then...why is it so important to go there? If nothing's there...

Murph
It's a carefree and peaceful paradise!

I'd love to see them try and stop a real estate company. Vacation in lovely Oblivia!

Hastings
That is, however, exactly what
these Pinchers may be after.

I knew it! They are a real estate company! Nothing says "swagger" like sitting down next to a guy and saying, "let's talk real estate."

Hastings
The area is so peaceful that
we have only one Area Ranger
stationed there.

Hastings: "Also, he was kind of the only guy we had."

Murph:
This is the Oblivia region's motto:
"Oblivia, Islands of Ancient Ruins
and Legends."

That's more of an advertisement for tourists. A motto is something that describes the people there, like "In God We Trust" or "By right or might" or another catchy thing.

Hastings:
Recently, many archeology buffs
have been visiting these islands.

Wait, I thought the rest of the world had forgotten about it. Wouldn't these archeology buffs tell the world about their findings and attract interest?

Hastings:
If I ever have the time,
I would definitely like to visit, but...

Hastings: "I'm not in any hurry. I mean, just because I'm called Hastings doesn't mean I'm always in a rush! That'd be retarded!"

Murph:
There are nine parts in all, so make
yourselves comfortable, okay?

Well, as long as they don't have any islands built on volcanoes...

Hastings:
That's enough!

Wow, did Hastings grow a vagina between the last game in this one, because he sure seems to be leaking sand.

So yeah. The rest of the flashback has nothing interesting in it. By the way, you'd think Hastings would at least know these two's names - especially since he's apparently heard a lot about us - but I guess not.

Should I keep going, guys?

Last edited:
How's the writing in this?

I loved the humor in Ranger 2, as well as the plot, so it's interesting to see if NoA did a good job.

Also, I won't be getting this soon since I just got B/W, but I'll definitely be picking this up around Christmas and playing it to completion then.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom