• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Possible Ruby and Sapphire Gen V: Official Discussion and Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BW is a new beginning for the series, the least GameFreak can do is send us to a new time period.

This would definitely be the best route. I say that Gen V should be somewhere further into the future. 10 years or so. And maybe by this time, there is technology to travel back in time. Which could open up an awesome plot for the origins of Hoenn's legends.

And with time travel as a possible plot device, we would also be able to see Groudon and Kyogre's original battle in ancient times. What provoked them to fight in the first place? Who made sure that Rayquaza stopped that battle? How were the orbs created? Why is the Cave of Origin even important? ... Why would anyone rather replay the RSE plot instead?

I don't really post often, get into any discussions, etc. But I do lurk around often enough, and I've seen your posts. I know this is pretty off-topic, but I just have to ask. Whats with all the time-travel related shit? Is it your fetish or something?

Also, I'd rather replay the RSE. Not everything needs a detailed explanation. Having some mystery- especially about ancient events, is not a bad thing for the plot.

This would definitely be the best route. I say that Gen V should be somewhere further into the future. 10 years or so. And maybe by this time, there is technology to travel back in time. Which could open up an awesome plot for the origins of Hoenn's legends.
I wanted to amend this a little bit, I realized by math was off.

In regards to "a"; BW could be 4 years after DPPtHGSS; and that would be 7 years after RSEFRLG. (Apologies to Ryuutakeshi)

3+ 4=7; for whatever reason I forgot that there are 3 years (game time) between Generations 3 and 4.

[There are 4 years real-time; but because FRLG/RSE replace generation one and DPPtHGSS replace Generation two it's instead 3 years. Everyone get it?]

Option "b" is highly unlikely at this point; mostly because BW are being promoted as a "new beginning" for the series.
No "new beginnings" can exist in a time period we've seen twice in almost 15 years.

Option "c" is still possible as nothing rules it out, but until we have more info what the truth is it's anyone's guess.

tl;dr

BW should be 7 years after RSEFRLG/ 4 years after DPPtHGSS

I don't really post often, get into any discussions, etc. But I do lurk around often enough, and I've seen your posts. I know this is pretty off-topic, but I just have to ask. Whats with all the time-travel related shit? Is it your fetish or something?

Also, I'd rather replay the RSE. Not everything needs a detailed explanation. Having some mystery- especially about ancient events, is not a bad thing for the plot.
No, lurk moar.

Whats with all the time-travel related shit? Is it your fetish or something?
Why does it bother you? I'm entitled to the opinion that if we if we have to retread the past, it should be the past that we haven't seen yet. Pardon me if I don't intend on spending the next two years and a half clamoring for games whose plot would have little to no surprises; I find the thought depressing.

Having some mystery- especially about ancient events, is not a bad thing for the plot.
It's acceptable the first time around - not so much ten years down the road. There would be little point in going through it all over again if nothing new came out of it.

Do me a favour and explain your reasoning to me, I'm obviously not getting it.

BW is a new beginning for the series, the least GameFreak can do is send us to a new time period.

Going by the fact in two gens (Gen III and IV) regions that were revisited were remakes of older games (Gen III kanto: FR/LG and Gen IV: Johto/Kanto: HGSS), not sequels or prequels or new games entirley, so just because we'd like it to be different, what makes you think GF if they wanted to do Hoenn again would do a prequel or sequel rather than a remake?

Right now we don't know what time period BW is set in, so whats the big deal if its set in the same time as FR/LG/RSE? It doesn't matter just as long as the games are good enough.

Why does it bother you? I'm entitled to the opinion that if we if we have to retread the past, it should be the past that we haven't seen yet. Pardon me if I don't intend on spending the next two years and a half clamoring for games whose plot would have little to no surprises; I find the thought depressing.

I'd like some sort of time travel, if it didn't change the present when you went back in time. Maybe you'd get to witness the birth of a legendary or a legendary battle. Like maybe for sake of RSE, the first encounter with Hoenn legendaries or something (not quite sure what to do) but could a Xatu (to be different than Celebi) take you back in time? I am aware it can time travel (I think I remember one anime episode with a trainer with a Xatu from the future or something to that effect) the Xatu could be a event pokemon like the Giovanni event in HGSS.

I would be interested in the history of Hoenn such as how Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza came to be, or what the Sky Pillar is all about, or even how and why the Regis got sealed in the chambers. (I thinking Pacifidlog has some signifigance as its near Sky Pillar). I have thought about the history of Hoenn since I played Sapphire as those games lack some things about how and why some things are where they are, like the regis I mentioned or Sky Pillar or the Cave of Origen etc..

Last edited:
The weird thing about having a sequel to ruby and sapphire would be they would carry different labels the way gold, silver and Crystal were not given an adjective and then red or blue because they were not the same game. For all we know black and white could be sequels to ruby and sapphire if its possible it takes place right next to it which is what many people think according to the region speculation contest.

Oh and by the way the best sounding names for the remakes is SolarRuby and OceanSapphire.

Of course, a RSE-quel would be a main game, and thus, the focus of its generation, so it wouldn't be farfethced that BW could be set in Hoenn, especially when the developers run out of areas to make games from (that is, if they continue their tradition of only-Japanese geography).

Except that it has already been mentioned that BW will be set in a new region. That's why I previously thought that any Hoenn based game better would be saved for Gen VI. Only time will tell.

No what I'm saying it hypothetically could be a sequel even if it is in a new region because gold and silver were a sequel to red and blue. Hoenn could play the same role that Kanto played in generation II. And if this were the case then remakes would be pointless because Hoenn would be in beautiful 3d like I hope it will.

Going by the fact in two gens (Gen III and IV) regions that were revisited were remakes of older games (Gen III kanto: FR/LG and Gen IV: Johto/Kanto: HGSS), not sequels or prequels or new games entirley, so just because we'd like it to be different, what makes you think GF if they wanted to do Hoenn again would do a prequel or sequel rather than a remake?
There have been two cases of remakes and one case of sequels - the difference is not that jarring (especially when you consider that HGSS are not only remakes of Gold and Silver, but also sequels to FRLG). The truth of the matter is that what the remake supporters are doing now is akin to what many fans did before Generation III - assuming that it would be a sequel to Generation II with backwards compatibility and that Kanto and Johto would be able to be revisited. What the fans back then failed to account for is that Game Freak might not want adhere to the previous two generations; I strongly believe that that is what they want to with Generation V, as well. If so, there is going to be yet another new way to explore at least one old region again.

I'd like some sort of time travel, if it didn't change the present when you went back in time. Maybe you'd get to witness the birth of a legendary or a legendary battle. Like maybe for sake of RSE, the first encounter with Hoenn legendaries or something (not quite sure what to do) but could a Xatu (to be different than Celebi) take you back in time? I am aware it can time travel (I think I remember one anime episode with a trainer with a Xatu from the future or something to that effect) the Xatu could be a event pokemon like the Giovanni event in HGSS.
The Pokédex entries, which if anything exaggerate Pokémon's abilities, only state that Xatu can look into the past and future at the same time. I don't see it being given that level of importance.

However, I also don't think that it is required to have a Pokémon be the cause of time travel. The following is a Braille message from FRLG in reference to the Ruby and Sapphire key items:

LET THE TWO GLITTERING STONES

ONE IN RED

ONE IN BLUE

CONNECT THE PAST.

TWO FRIENDS SHARING POWER OPEN A WINDOW TO A NEW WORLD THAT GLOWS.

THE NEXT WORLD WAITS FOR YOU.
This is obviously an allusion to Generation III being set in the past so that the Generation I timeline is immersed with the "new world" of later generations. But could it mean more than just that?

The Cave of Origin in the RSE games is completely mysterious. There is no evident reason why Groudon and Kyogre go there in Ruby and Sapphire, respectively, and in Emerald the cave serves no purpose. What the cave does have, however, is many ruby and sapphire gems scattered over the walls. What if those items really did have the negative energy required to connect the present to the past, so that one day the origin of Hoenn would be seen once more? That would explain why no one is allowed the enter the cave with the exception of Wallace, the Champion, and the player. Of course, time travel wasn't triggered in the Generation III games, but that could be because something else was already going on in Sootopolis; the cave was blocked immediately after the event was over.

Veggietable said:
Of course, a RSE-quel would be a main game, and thus, the focus of its generation, so it wouldn't be farfethced that BW could be set in Hoenn, especially when the developers run out of areas to make games from (that is, if they continue their tradition of only-Japanese geography).
Why wouldn't it just be another pair of games in an already existing generation? Sequels wouldn't make Black and White obsolete any more than the remakes did to Ruby and Sapphire or Diamond and Pearl. The difference is that new Hoenn games would make for a far more refreshing start on the 3DS than remakes would.

It's a little hard to fathom that Generation V will only have three entries. Perhaps if there were a reasonable way to release the third version for the DS and keep Generation VI for the 3DS, but I don't think that would work given the time constraints.

Last edited:
For all we know black and white could be sequels to ruby and sapphire if its possible it takes place right next to it which is what many people think according to the region speculation contest.
The region speculation contest means next to nothing, the opinion of BGf-users means little to Game Freak.

There are still 4-ish areas of Japan that are entirely unused: Touhoku, Chuugoku, and Shikoku.
Kansai and Chuubu were the basis for Jouto, but they're highly condensed, and could support one more region.
Considering the connections between BW and DPPtHGSS, it's much more likely BW occurs in Touhoku (the area between Shinou and Jouto/Kantou), and not Chuugoku or Shikoku (the areas above Houen)

Except that it has already been mentioned that BW will be set in a new region. That's why I previously thought that any Hoenn based game better would be saved for Gen VI. Only time will tell.
Why would a Houen-2 be the focus of it's generation? HGSS and FRLG were not the focus of their respective release periods; The difference being HGSS were the last games of the 4th generation, released 5 months before the announcement of new games.

And it hasn't just been mentioned BW will be in a new region, it's been stated in large text and was one of the major points in the May CoroCoro.

I guess I can user stand your point, since you want new Houen games to occur in a generation where Chuugoku or Shikoku are the new areas.
However, that didn't stop Kantou from appearing in Generation 3 or Jouto and Kantou from appearing next to DPPt.

The Cave of Origin in the RSE games is completely mysterious. There is no evident reason why Groudon and Kyogre go there in Ruby and Sapphire, respectively, and in Emerald the cave serves no purpose. What the cave does have, however, is many ruby and sapphire gems scattered over the walls. What if those items really did have the negative energy required to connect the present to the past, so that one day the origin of Hoenn would be seen once more? That would explain why no one is allowed the enter the cave with the exception of Wallace, the Champion, and the player. Of course, time travel wasn't triggered in the Generation III games, but that could be because something else was already going on in Sootopolis; the cave was blocked immediately after the event was over.
Interesting.
Would said time travel be optional?
Did Wallace go to the past and "do something"?

Did a villain activate those pre-existing resources, for his own gain?

It's a little hard to fathom that Generation V will only have three entries. Perhaps if there were a reasonable way to release the third version for the DS and keep Generation VI for the 3DS, but I don't think that would work given the time constraints.
And here, I'll throw my hat in the ring.

When BW were first released I though BW would be much like GS.
New games on what is (essentially) the same system.

Intended for the DSi (GameBoyColor) playable on the DS (GameBoy), followed by one singular game akin to Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum, only playable on the DSi.

The entire generation wouldn't last more than 3 years; so, the next new games (Generation-6) would follow in 2012 (at the earliest) or 2013 (most likely).

That would be only if the generation had 3 games, and only if the generation was 3 years or less.

That was before the 3DS was announced.

Now that we have the 3DS; I foresee BW being the last DS games period.

I think New games set in Houen will be the first GF games for the 3DS, followed by the "Third Version".
We may also have new games in other region as well, only time will tell.

Well given the 3DS is going to be released soon after Gen V appears, I can't see that happening, not since the 3DS is supposed to replace the DS as the main console.

Intended for the DSi (GameBoyColor) playable on the DS (GameBoy), followed by one singular game akin to Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum, only playable on the DSi.

I can't see any games only for the DSi, now now at least (besides those on DSI shop) since not everyone took to the DSi and there isn't enough difference in DS/DSi to warrent a game soley for DSi.

Why wouldn't it just be another pair of games in an already existing generation? Sequels wouldn't make Black and White obsolete any more than the remakes did to Ruby and Sapphire or Diamond and Pearl. The difference is that new Hoenn games would make for a far more refreshing start on the 3DS than remakes would.

Why would a Houen-2 be the focus of it's generation? HGSS and FRLG were not the focus of their respective release periods; The difference being HGSS were the last games of the 4th generation, released 5 months before the announcement of new games.

The difference is that HGSS were remakes, not actual new games; the true "new game/sequel" was Gold/Silver/Crystal which indeed were the main focus of their generation. As simple as that. That's why I think a Hoenn2 would be the main game of its generation.

It's a little hard to fathom that Generation V will only have three entries. Perhaps if there were a reasonable way to release the third version for the DS and keep Generation VI for the 3DS, but I don't think that would work given the time constraints

Whith the 3DS being so close to its release, to keep full compatibility (or at least at the same degree that Platinum and HGSS were compatible with the original Diamond and Pearl) with the original Black and White, I have the feeling that future Gen V games would be very limited in terms of using the 3DS potential (like how Gen IV didn't really exploit the DS capabilities); thus Gen VI would be released in that handheld and fully use the 3DS capabilities. All of this is nothing new of course, but it makes me think that because of that, Gen V will be shorter than Gens III and IV,lasting 3 years at much. With that in mind, it's not impossible that we can only have 3 main Generation V games, and keep Hoenn's remakes/sequels for Gen VI.

My prediction is this:
BW: 2010 - DS
BW's third version: 2012 - 3DS, based on BW's DS engine.
Gen VI debut: 2013 - 3DS.

By 2013, the 3DS would be two or three years old, enough to have a new Generation debuting on it, just like DP were released when the DS was two years old. Of course, nothing's for sure, but it's not impossible either.

Last edited:
Whith the 3DS being so close to its release, to keep full compatibility (or at least at the same degree that Platinum and HGSS were compatible with the original Diamond and Pearl) with the original Black and White, I have the feeling that future Gen V games would be very limited in terms of using the 3DS potential (like how Gen IV didn't really exploit the DS capabilities); thus Gen VI would be released in that handheld and fully use the 3DS capabilities. All of this is nothing new of course, but it makes me think that because of that, Gen V will be shorter than Gens III and IV,lasting 3 years at much. With that in mind, it's not impossible that we can only have 3 main Generation V games, and keep Hoenn's remakes/sequels for Gen VI.

Well since the 3DS will more than likley use same/similar wifi, compatibility will not be an issue as thats all that matters, being able to communicate between the games, so there is no need to limit the game just because it will be the first on th 3DS. I expect, the way HGSS used more than D/P/Pt did in terms of using the DS potential, the games in Gen V for the 3DS will be like that.

My prediction is this:
BW: 2010 - DS
BW's third version: 2012 - 3DS, based on BW's DS engine.
Gen VI debut: 2013 - 3DS

The way I see it, either 2012 will be RS remake and 2013 will be third version. It would give them time to fully fit a third version to make BW have the potential and not have RS remakes on 3DS which would be better in terms of using the 3DS capibilities and make it so that BW doesn't feel shafted by not being on 3DS in first place as laving it longer to release the third version (like how Gen III was played out, having first games > remakes > third this way) so they can have time to do more with a third version and make it good as on 3DS, even if its based on the original BW, third version could be modified ebough to use 3DS potential. The maybe 2014 we could see Gen VI if its going to happen (That would give us the 4 years that gen III and IV have lasted for)

Also, GF are out to make money, and trying NOT to outdo BW because of the 3DS is not the way for them to do that, the next games will most likley be on 3DS and use its potential and probavly sell well because of this, what GF want to happen, to make money. Because BW wasn't on 3DS doesn't mean the games after in Gen V have to suffer because of that and GF suffer from money loss too.

Does anyone feel that contests will be revamped if they remake ruby and sapphore and if they do how can it have a bigger impact on the game itself.

Does anyone feel that contests will be revamped if they remake ruby and sapphore and if they do how can it have a bigger impact on the game itself.

I doubt they will impact the game. Super Contests and Poke-whatever's don't impact the contest. They'll most likely leave the rules basically the same. They're not Super Contests after all.

I'm interested in how they change the way you make Pokeblock.

About a sequel to Hoenn..Do you expect them to use new protagonists or age up May and Brendan?

About a sequel to Hoenn..Do you expect them to use new protagonists or age up May and Brendan?

I think they would create similar cahracters, like how they did with Lyra, or just use May and Brendan.

I think they would create similar cahracters, like how they did with Lyra, or just use May and Brendan.

..They'll probably age them up and maybe their main design very mildly (as in their body features).

well we all know there will be remakes of all the pokemon games eventually if you think about it.someday there won'd be a ds and they'll remake the ds games to be compatable with something else and am i the only one who has notice that in every pokemon game you start in your room then meet your mom,get a pokemon,fight your rival,beat 8 gyms and some bad team and challenge the elite 4 and your pretty much done?

If they do a sequel, you'll likely play as new protagonists, and either May or Brendan would be the champion in those games.

well we all know there will be remakes of all the pokemon games eventually if you think about it.someday there won'd be a ds and they'll remake the ds games to be compatable with something else and am i the only one who has notice that in every pokemon game you start in your room then meet your mom,get a pokemon,fight your rival,beat 8 gyms and some bad team and challenge the elite 4 and your pretty much done?

Minus the 12+ hours of sidequests, right? Ever heard of the Pokedex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom