• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review S14 EP36: Archeops In The Modern World!

Iteru

Something
Reaction score
BW36 - Archeops In The Modern World!

Still on their way to Nimbasa City, Ash and his friends meet up with Professor Juniper who shows them a fossil that she received from Lenora. Believing it to be the fossil of the First Bird Pokémon Archen, Professor Juniper and Fennel both hope to ressurect it. However upon successfully resurrecting it, Archen is startled to its new surroundings and won't keep calm! Is it possible for Archen to adapt to modern times?

(To dicuss this episode in an environment free of all spoilers from episodes which have aired in Japan, please check out the discussion thread in the Spoiler-Free Zone.)

So, in this episode, Fennel and Prof Juniper revive the "extinct" Pokemon Archen. Ash and friends try and teach the "extinct" Pokemon how to fly. The "extinct" Archen evolves into the also "extinct" Archeops.

Is there even such a thing as an extinct Pokemon in the anime? We've seen multiple times that "extinct" Pokemon are really still alive, somewhere.

Aerodactyl?

"The culmination of dreams and hard work. Ready Fennel?" I like Fennel's whole "dream" motif.

"Who's that Pokemon?"

Archen, don't take advice from Iris on how to fly--she's surely never done it before.

Alright, so Archeops wasn't the predator I thought it'd be... meh, the episode ended just alright. (I don't really see what the flight training was for, if Archen just learned how to fly when it evolved.) I like that TR appeared in uniform. (The other Archeops at the end I kinda liked, even though...)

Last edited:
I really like this episode because of Juniper and Fennel! They should appear more together. Especially Fennel should be more recurring, I can't get over her cuteness and blushing. <3

The featured Pokémon is great, but the ending makes the plot of this episode rather pointless...

So Ash decided to teach a flightless bird how to fly. Incidentally, he's the reason dodos went extinct.

Also, those Archeops at the end are probably robots or Zoroark owned by the Rockets. They came to lure Archeops out and capture her. She'll live a life away from her adoptive mothers.

Yeah, the pokemon not being extinct after all kinda makes the whole thing pointless. Eh, I can't say much about it anyway.

I hardly ever watch the dub, but I had to watch this one, my favorite episode :3 my scientificshipping creys

I always thought it was so silly that Ash spends the whole episode trying to teach Archen how to fly even though Juniper says in the first like 5 minutes something to the effect of "even though it's the first bird pokemon, it can't fly, lol". I guess they needed to give them something to do while the Rockets plotted, and idk, sit there and film it derping for half the episode.

There needs to be another episode like this of them all broing around while Juniper and Fennel do science stuff.

Wow, three Team Rocket episodes in a row. Strange for the series up to this point.

Also odd bad the lab's security is, and how Team Rocket refused to say the motto even after Ash explicitly cued them to do so by asking them a question.

Okay, yeah. It's not like we've never had episodes of fossil Pokemon before which in theory should have been just as "extinct" as that damn Archen, but I guess archaeologists in Unova aren't up to speed with the rest of the world. Byron should've made a surprise appearance in this episode to slap some sense into those silly bitches. I too question the validity of Archen being the first Flying-type Pokemon ever when Aerodactyl easily looks more fitting of such a role. Plus we all know the REAL first Flying-type was Arceus with the Sky Plate. :p

And oh gee, Iris hating on science again. How dare things make logical sense. Iris should've just gone to town to seek out a fortune teller who she'd have a lot more fun with even while the gypsy rips her off. Then we could maybe have science-based episodes where Iris isn't around to kill the mood.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I really liked Cilan reaffirming why he decided to travel with Ash in the first place. It may not be the best reason, but at least it makes sense and it's something I can accept. Hey Iris, how about reminding us why you're here again?

Last edited:
This episode greatly annoyed me. They kept talking like reviving a fossilized pokemon had never been done before. Dudes, seriously, you have made so many fossil episodes throughout the course of the anime it's not even funny. This is nothing new.

Am I the only one who noticed the glazed look in Fennel's eyes and her constant blushing? It's like she was building up to a "climax" the entire episode, totally creeped me out.

I must ask, how did no one notice the giant vines during the flying lessons? They had already appeared well into "I am Archen, the Unova Bagon, and I demand flight!" scenario, and everytime she screamed the vines grew more. Was everyone facing the same exact direction at the same time? The vines became visible while they were INSIDE the lab too, but this went unnoticed and continued to go unnoticed after they went outside. Two more questions:

1. Why did James have Yamask use Night Shade on the vines? I don't get the point of that? If they wanted to corner Archeops, they could have left the nest intact to use it as blackmail. Which brings me to my next question.

2. How, exactly, does Night Shade cause purple, extinguishable fire when in the anime right now, it is merely a pulse of power, like confuse ray or psywave? Anime Physics, y u no make sense?

Overall, I give this episode 2/5 stars. Archen was cute, Archeops was BA, and we got to see our good friend Tranquil in the spotlight for once! If only for a little while. Archen's cuteness got me interested, but Tranquil saved the episode with her flying lessons. It's nice to know she still cares about Ash even though he pays no attention to her. What a sweety.

EDIT:

Okay, yeah. It's not like we've never had episodes of fossil Pokemon before which in theory should have been just as "extinct" as that damn Archen, but I guess archaeologists in Unova aren't up to speed with the rest of the world. Byron should've made a surprise appearance in this episode to slap some sense into those silly bitches. I too question the validity of Archen being the first Flying-type Pokemon ever when Aerodactyl easily looks more fitting of such a role. Plus we all know the REAL first Flying-type was Arceus with the Sky Plate. :p

And oh gee, Iris hating on science again. How dare things make logical sense. Iris should've just gone to town to seek out a fortune teller who she'd have a lot more fun with even while the gypsy rips her off. Then we could maybe have science-based episodes where Iris isn't around to kill the mood.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I really liked Cilan reaffirming why he decided to travel with Ash in the first place. It may not be the best reason, but at least it makes sense and it's something I can accept. Hey Iris, how about reminding us why you're here again?

I give you 50/5 stars for that statement. Took the words right out of my mind. Good on ya, now get out of my head, it's dirty XD

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I really liked Cilan reaffirming why he decided to travel with Ash in the first place.

This and Scientists are why I (mostly) love the episode except for the DEM at the end.
Gaaahh, the cafemochashipping creyz.

This was a pretty good episode. It was okay.

Archen/Archeops was great. Dragon Breath eh?

How come they did not see the vines that were clearly about to cover up the building? Exactly like Dora the Explorer right there.

So in Unova, they have different restoring technology than Sinnoh and the other regions? I remember in the Oreburgh episodes back in DP when they had the big ole blue cylinder container thing.

Also, when I watched it, the quality was terrible. Freaking Cartoon Network. The show kept on like, freezing and had a bunch of squares.

Was I the only one that was happy to see only one commercial break this episode? Or were there two?

Pretty solid episode, despite the way too convenient ending. Archen was cute, and Archeops was badass, and Stunfisk was....Stunfisk. There really isn't much to say about it, but I do like episodes where Ash and the gang help just for the sake of helping. I like how Team Rocket disappeared in smoke, rather than just flying off. Made it seem less like a loss, and makes them come off more threatening.

And I agree Juniper and Fennel really should get another ep.

I still stand by my theory that that particular Archen/Archeops gained reality warping abilities due to being revived by dream energy. It simply willed the tree to germinate and bear fruit and willed those other Archeops into existence.

Otherwise it was a decent episode staring an awesome Pokémon.

Was I the only one that was happy to see only one commercial break this episode? Or were there two?
There were two; the second set was just before the last part of the episode- just like how the show used to do it in the past- involving Team Rocket (hope you didn't miss that part).

By far better than last week and I think it is probably one of the better fossil Pokemon episodes. Archen is an interesting design and looks really good in the anime (similar things could be said for Fennel) and I did like Ash trying to teach it to fly, sure it learnt to fly properly after evolving, but I'd assume it evolved in part because of that training, which makes it worthwhile.

While I don't get why Fennel hadn't set up an environment for the Pokemon like in the other fossil based episodes, the reviving of the specific plant from the fossil is a better way of doing it than having old plants conveniently lying at the end of an island, but having there being a bunch of other Archeops at the end of the episode kinda ruined that idea of the revived Archeops learning to survive in the new world/eventually accepting modern food, etc, and also ruins lots of the potential research (wasn't that the point of reviving the fossil in the first place, to learn more about Archen?).

Seeing Stunfisk again reminded me that Palpitoad has completely disappeared since capture, we've seen a comparatively large amount of Roggenrola, would it have been too much to ask for Palpitoad instead at the end?

Emolga desperately needs a training episode or to just be released - surely Iris is supposed to be a trainer at least vaguely capable of getting Emolga to obey, especially considering how easy it was to get Excadrill to start listening again. Emolga was okay like it is now initially, but surely after the volt switch episode things could have calmed down a bit. Also, yay for another unnecessary use of Attract! Besides, doesn't Emolga glide rather than fly? Making it entirely useless in the situation to begin with.

I'd also have assumed that the TR plot would have been foiled by the whole vines destroying the room thing - how is it the room was trashed yet somehow James was able to keep hacking? The vines inadvertently stopping the hacking would have also helped justify the attempt to capture it at the end, but instead the TR appearance was too successful and dull.

Sure, I started this post liking the episode, and think I still do, but there's a lot of plot holes here. Also I see no reason this episode couldn't have been called 'Archen in the Modern World'.

I still stand by my theory that that particular Archen/Archeops gained reality warping abilities due to being revived by dream energy. It simply willed the tree to germinate and bear fruit and willed those other Archeops into existence.

Otherwise it was a decent episode staring an awesome Pokémon.
I figured that this could be Ancientpower.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom