• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

So do you think making Piplup into a second mascot was a good idea?

What did you think of Piplup?

• Total voters
Dawn's Piplup was awesome (awesomer as Pochama, but...) it just brought comedy and a lot of laughter to the show. It's time Pikachu learned to share the spotlight, as it was getting a bit tired as a character.

Was It?

I started watching DP and really took a shine to Piplup at the start, but now it really gets on my nerves, that stubborn, self assured attitude is the opposite of cute and It has taken away all of Pikachu's character.
You can't attempt to upstage Pikachu and still be deemed cute and likable to me >.>

Yes, it was a great idea. Pikachu's character was getting stale after all of these eps. When they added Piplup, they added a whole new level of awesome and comedy to the show.

Dawn's Piplup was awesome (awesomer as Pochama, but...) it just brought comedy and a lot of laughter to the show. It's time Pikachu learned to share the spotlight, as it was getting a bit tired as a character.

I agree. Piplup is the life of the show now, IMO. Oh, how I love the little failure at life. :3

And being cute is a huge plus.

But then it stayed out of its ball more, it was seen more, took away some screentime from Dawn's other Pokemon, it was HEARD more. And for 15 minutes I had to hear PIP PIP PIP PIP PIP PIP PIPLUP PIP PIP PIP PIP. I had over 10 years to get used hearing PIKA PIKA and I did pretty early on, but having to listen to that bootleg Torchic/horrible Pikachu wannabee voice on one of those Pokemon imitator shows in the 90s that failed hard was/is grating.

Pochama, however, is actually OK. Sure the spotlight thing exist in both versions, but I can stand to listen to it and it actually helped me get used to its flaw. But then I want to listen to the dub version and I go 'oh great, here come's Piplup...'

This, just this. Though I still dislike Piplup generally. Yeah, I can see why it's a likeable character to some but it just plain annoys me most of the time. It's personality just doesn't sit well with me, though that probably would be because I tend to dislike characters with Piplup-like attitude.

Yuck I don't like the penguin at all :(! xDU he's just so annoying D:! (Sorry Piplup fans :(! everyone have his their own tastes :(!) Penguins are my favourte animals <33 They are adorable, cute and clumsy and I love them <33333 But the only one Penguin I wasn't capable to like was Piplup xDU He's too proud, jelous and selfish, I don't like his personality. And in my opinion it wasn't a good idea to make him the second mascot xDU I think that writers try to make him cute, brave and outgoing like Pikachu. But the only one thing they get was to make him annoying and detestable and a screentime thief to Pikachu fans xDU They should have keep the penguin in his Pokeball at all xD I think that way he would't have get that haters xDU

Last edited:
I'm appalled at the immense hate for Piplup. D: He's the funniest thing in Pokemon since Misty.

Piplup was made to be proud and jealous because he's used for comic relief. And it was kind of neccesary since Pika's character was getting kind of stale and worn down.

Hate on me all you want, but I'm defending the little penguin. And I think he's aweosme.

I personally think that making Piplup second mascot of Pokemon was strange choice, of course, lil' penguin helped in promotion and all this s*it and Japanise people love him, I assume, and now they have to get rid of him, you know someone has to leave, that will be painful, unless they got really good replacement coming', I mean gen V girl with cute Pokemon blah.

Someone's a hypocrite. I thought you hated Piplup a while ago.

In the Companions of Choice poll in December 2009 when I pretty much first joined... back when I was still Jolteon.

Dawn is a hard worker, she is funny, and I like her piplup, mamoswine and cyndaquil... Which brings me to my second point, most of the characters in the poll have pokemon with no real personnality... Dawn's pokes have that in spades...

On the 16th of January in the Your favorite Pokemon on the current main cast thread,

Dawn : That's a whole lot tougher to chose... I like Piplup and Mamoswine the most, I like cyndaquil too (but just cause how much I miss Ash's)

so... even before the introduction of Gible and the Draco Meteor gag I still liked Piplup and he was ranking in my top 5 of favourite pokémon of DP (actually of the entire anime...)

so then no on the hypocrisy thing... Still, it's a character and therefore still has some flaws like any character but the DP saga wouldn't have been half as amazing and entertaining as it was without Piplup. DP164 and it's entire gag with Gible, the rivalry with Cyndaquil, the noticing Dawn's depresion... I loved all those moments.

He's too proud, jelous and selfish, I think that writers try to make him cute, brave and outgoing like Pikachu.

That's exactly why I love him. Because he tries so hard to be the "stereotypical" mascot à la pikachu but often fails in the single most hilarious ways. That's where the comedy lies. The one part where he doesn't fail his in contests and in his friendship with Dawn, where he's actually touching at time.

As for hogging screentime from Pikachu... well Pikachu's been here for 13 years... they've pretty much done everything there is to do with Pika and then some. Did we really need yet another Ash tells Pikachu that Pikachu is Ash's best friends.... No. They're close, we got the message the first 2534324th times.

Last edited:
On the note of gender confirmation: Kimono Pikachu is the best Pikachu.... well, maybe second to Ketchup Pikachu.

Ketchupshipping FTW!

I don't think Piplup will stay as the secondary mascot, IMO, it was more of "Gen IV's mascot", with Pika still being the overall mascot. With that in mind, I see him being replaced with one of BW's starters which will have a similar role to that of Piplup.

Now on to the character itself, I liked it. Sure, it was annoying sometimes, but it was cute and a more developed character than Pika and most of Ash's Jotho Pokémon. It was a rounded character that gave us cmedic relief as well as dramatic moments. Plus, it was the only one who did fit Dawn's looks and personality, so it received the perfect treatment. And it was also my starter in my Diamond.

The only thing I hate about it (and I really can't stand this) is how his Whirlpool looks so badass (and indeed, everytime he uses it makes a lot of damage) whereas in the game is the most basic and weakest Watertype move. If in-game Whirlpool was as powerful as Dawn's Piplup's, then I wouldn't have needed a HM slave in my SoulSilver version just to be able to catch Lugia and get my ES Dratini among other things.

Piplup owned DP.

No matter how much anyone denies it, it is the truth.

When it comes to screentime and promotion, the Penguin is the Kind.

Piplup definately has had it's moments and it's personallity is a hell of a lot better than Pikachu, but I can't deny that the whole 'it's gotta be in every single episode' thing makes me roll my eyes. Half the time it's antics aren't really all that great, so nah. I don't really dig it.

The whole 'mascot' thing is annoying in general imo, since all it really does is lead to the over-exposure of a single character that, money-makin' aside, doesn't really need to be. I wish they'd devote as much time to fleshing out most of the other pokemon on the cast as they have with Piplup. The only one that seems to have had any luck in the personallity department is Infernape, and even then it pretty much always involves it's history with Paul. Every other pokemon seems to be sadled with 'contest!' or 'battle!' in order to be deemed significant, which is a shame.

The whole 'mascot' thing is annoying in general imo, since all it really does is lead to the over-exposure of a single character that, money-makin' aside, doesn't really need to be.

So then, the same could be said about Pikachu ?

I wish they'd devote as much time to fleshing out most of the other pokemon on the cast as they have with Piplup. The only one that seems to have had any luck in the personallity department is Infernape, and even then it pretty much always involves it's history with Paul. Every other pokemon seems to be sadled with 'contest!' or 'battle!' in order to be deemed significant, which is a shame.

Torterra coping with loss of speed, Mamoswine's disobedience, Gliscor learning how to fly, overcoming its fears, Gible learning Draco Meteor.... a lot of other pokemon have plot outside of battles and contests... and standout personalities.

So then, the same could be said about Pikachu ?
Pikachu recieving so much attention never did much for me either, so...yeah, I guess?

Torterra coping with loss of speed, Mamoswine's disobedience, Gliscor learning how to fly, overcoming its fears, Gible learning Draco Meteor.... a lot of other pokemon have plot outside of battles and contests... and standout personalities.
Huh? All of that stuff directly involves their performance in pokemon battling :/

I mean things like how Piplup got to fall in love, or got depressed when it felt everyone was ignoring it, or had to cope with being stranded on a desert island, etc. We don't really get any of that kind of personallity exploration or situational stuff with the other pokemon.

Piplup was OK. I did wish it wasn't shoved down our throats the way it was.

Anyone remember back in 2006/2007, everyone seemed to love Piplup in the fandom? It was only when it started appearing out of its ball in every ep that people started complaining about it.

Its weird to go back to older threads and read how everyone liked Piplup at the start of DP, and how opinions changed as it progressed.

I love Piplup, its arrogant nature is bloomin' amazing. Like in the Uncrushing Defeat episode, the walk it did when it came on the stage and the clothes it was wearing were hilarious! Its so sure of itself! Piplup, we love you!

Piplup definately has had it's moments and it's personallity is a hell of a lot better than Pikachu, but I can't deny that the whole 'it's gotta be in every single episode' thing makes me roll my eyes. Half the time it's antics aren't really all that great, so nah. I don't really dig it.

The whole 'mascot' thing is annoying in general imo, since all it really does is lead to the over-exposure of a single character that, money-makin' aside, doesn't really need to be. I wish they'd devote as much time to fleshing out most of the other pokemon on the cast as they have with Piplup. The only one that seems to have had any luck in the personallity department is Infernape, and even then it pretty much always involves it's history with Paul. Every other pokemon seems to be sadled with 'contest!' or 'battle!' in order to be deemed significant, which is a shame.

I totally agree!

Those are all battling/training related. Chimchar had emotional storylines, cofidence issues and abandonment issues. It wasn't all about improving its flamethrower in battle or something like that.

Staraptor Is the generic bird. Torterra Is a straight forward fully evolved Torterra. I can't comment on Gible since I haven't seen those episodes yet. Buziel Is a strong battler but that's about it.
That leaves Infernape which does have a personality, and Gliscor who had that dim, clumsiness which made it loveable, and it also improved in battle too.

As far as Dawn's Pokemon go..

Piplup = Screen hog, to much of an attitude for it's own good.

Buneary = Almost had an impact, with the Pikachu crush, but hasn't gotten a great deal of focus.

Pachi = Actually my favorite of her Pokemon, because it's the least annoying, but Is drastically underused

Mamo = Typical Power House, nothing fun there.

Ambipom = Stopped being a fun once it evolved from Aipom.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom