• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Starter Discussion

Which Kalos starter did you choose?

• Total voters
Re: Starter Discussion and Speculation

And why would I want to drag it out when Liligant has petal dance and ferrothorn can just power them into fainting in a fraction of the time? Using leech seed is extremely impractical vs most of ingame.

That's your own opinion. Believe it or not, people like to use different strategies than others.

And why would I want to drag it out when Liligant has petal dance and ferrothorn can just power them into fainting in a fraction of the time? Using leech seed is extremely impractical vs most of ingame.

I don't see any logical reason why you would want to drag it out.

But maybe I do, or maybe @Stratelier does. There's more than one way to play. And there's no right or wrong way. Mind you, I've used Serperior in NU and in-game and I've made it work just fine. I don't see the problem. I have a harder time arguing Charizard's merits. Then again, I'm the guy who's constantly advocating for Meganium and arguing her merits, so what the hell do I know, right? (For the record, I've also used Meganium competitively, in both NU and OU, and I've managed to make her work. In-game, she's my go to choice for the Johto series and Colosseum. I have never once had any difficulties whatsoever.)

On a personal note, I used a variation of the subseed strategy with Serperior against Ghetsis during my first run of Pokemon Black. I solo'd his entire team with it. It was awesome.

I think the 3 starters should all be good choices and strong pokemon that aren't outclassed by others too quickly like what happened in Unova. I have no idea what the designers were thinking when they made the snivy line what it was, what with horrible moves, terrible ingame stats, and a niche that isn't all that important even in competitive. But at the same time there are pokemon like Infernape and Swampert who are so good there's almost no reason to use anything else of the type. So XY should have a balance between the 2 extremes.

Coil Serperior is legit since it got Dragon Tail and Aqua Tail. That's bloody amazing offensive type coverage on a pure grass type.

Dunno if anyone has mentioned this already, but since the Nintendo EShop revealed Fennekin using a move called "Glow Punch" that had the fist-stamp and everything in it's animation, I'm actually thinking Fennekin will become bipedal, rather than quadrapedal as I and many others have thought. Generally only bipedal pokemon get punching moves and Fennekin is clearly not that, so perhaps its evolution is.

h3897F28A

Nothing can stop the curse of Fire/Fighting.

On a personal note, I used a variation of the subseed strategy with Serperior against Ghetsis during my first run of Pokemon Black. I solo'd his entire team with it. It was awesome.
I got a lot of in-game mileage out of Leech Seed too (mainly with Protect alongside it). Clay's Excadrill, Iris's Haxorus, Ghetsis's Hydreigon. And in the first two cases Servine/Serperior was basically my last Mon standing. And they triumphed.

Halfway through the game I dropped Tackle off of Snivy's moveset -- that was a mistake, until it picked up Mega Drain and Leaf Blade later on to make up for it. Then I realized that Serperior's better on defense than attack, meaning that unlike Treecko and every Fire starter ever, I was using the wrong strategy all along. Serperior did a lot better after I realized that.

Coil Serperior is legit since it got Dragon Tail and Aqua Tail. That's bloody amazing offensive type coverage on a pure grass type.
And Coil raises accuracy, so those Dragon/Aqua Tails never miss. Me, I've currently got Serperior equipped with Aerial Ace as his backup, since Leech Seed can be used on anything not Grass.

Spoiler: Aerodactyl wins.

Dunno if anyone has mentioned this already, but since the Nintendo EShop revealed Fennekin using a move called "Glow Punch" that had the fist-stamp and everything in [its] animation, I'm actually thinking Fennekin will become bipedal, rather than quadrapedal as I and many others have thought. Generally only bipedal pokemon get punching moves and Fennekin is clearly not that, so perhaps its evolution is.

Yes, for all quadruped -> biped evolutions (e.g. Zoroark), only the evolution can learn any punching moves because their initial form doesn't have any hands/arms to punch with. However, Fennekin is officially shown using an apparent punching move directly (without evolving), this could also be an exception to the rule (like teaching a Quilava how to Focus Punch in G3).

Of course, there's always the remote possibility that it was the result of a 'summoning' move (Copycat/Assist/Metronome)...

h3897F28A

Hey Chansey, we found your Lucky Punches.

Last edited:

I think "Glow Punch" could be one of the rumoured "Dual-typed Moves".
Its a Fairy-type move, but gives Fighting-type damage. Because of this it's super effective at Litleo (Fire/Normal Type).

But was it super effective, i.e. did the "super effective" message box appear?

I think "Glow Punch" could be one of the rumoured "Dual-typed Moves".
Its a Fairy-type move, but gives Fighting-type damage. Because of this it's super effective at Litleo (Fire/Normal Type).

Or it could just be Fighting type.

Fennekin's level was 14. Its level and HP flashed on the screen for a second.
In that case, it could still be a move its next stage learns. Cyndiquil evolves at level 14. Not sure how many other starters do though.

Fennekin's second stage might be bibedal, and Glow Punch might be a move it learns upon evolving.

What has me really concerned is that the Pokébeach "leak" says that Chespin would evolve into a Grass/Dark type, which overall seems like a pretty bad defensive type, specially if Dark gets a new weakness with the introduction of the Fairy type. I would rather have a x4 weakness to Fire type moves and make it evolve into another Grass/Steel type than it evolving into something that has 7 weaknesses. Anyway, so far Chespin has only been confirmed to learn Flying, Rock, Normal and Grass moves which still gives me some hope that there is still some chance that it won't evolve into a Grass/Dark type pokémon.

So anyone think Fennekin's final form will be bipedal, and when? Almost want to poll this just for the heck of it:

1 - Bipedal by first evolution (compare: Tepig -> Pignite)
2 - Bipedal by final evolution only (compare: Quilava -> Typhlosion)
3 - Remains entirely quadrupedal (compare: Shinx -> Luxray)

So anyone think Fennekin's final form will be bipedal, and when? Almost want to poll this just for the heck of it:

Yes that could be the case what an odd design choice though. Level 14 might well be the level that fennekin could evolve as fire type starters sometimes tend to evolve quicker then the other starters. Hmm but when that kind of thing has happened in the past only the evolved form learned the new move like prinplup and metal claw. This is starting to get odd now that I think about it.

...is that directed at me? Doesn't sound like it.

^ Sorry I was replying to your post to help me start off my point that glow punch is just an odd thing to put in the game at least in the way they did. Didn't mean to confuse you.

h3897F28A

lol I hope that isn't true @_@ Not a whole lot of fighting types can learn Psychic, so my hopes go towards it either being Fire/Psychic or Fire/Fairy. Preferably the latter for uniqueness.

Also, just to put this out there, I'm picking Chespin as my starter. ♥

Except having a good secondary type isn't really a curse. [/FONT]

Having a good secondary type isn't a curse, but having three Fire/Fighting types could be seen as such, especially if Fennekin does become Fire/Fighting. I see it more as extreme overkill rather than a curse. I'd prefer for Fennekin to be either Fire/Psychic or just pure Fire. The idea of a Fire/Fairy sounds kind of cool, but making one of the starter Pokemon part Fairy type might be a bit too much. I could see that happening more in the next generation than in this one. Though, as long as Fennekin is anything but Fire/Fighting, I'd be happy.

I'm thinking number 1 because if it learns Glow Punch on its own then I think it'd be immediately followed up with a bipedal evolution. Of course, this is assuming that Glow Punch isn't a egg move or otherwise.

Having a good secondary type isn't a curse, but having three Fire/Fighting types could be seen as such, especially if Fennekin does become Fire/Fighting. I see it more as extreme overkill rather than a curse. I'd prefer for Fennekin to be either Fire/Psychic or just pure Fire. The idea of a Fire/Fairy sounds kind of cool, but making one of the starter Pokemon part Fairy type might be a bit too much. I could see that happening more in the next generation than in this one. Though, as long as Fennekin is anything but Fire/Fighting, I'd be happy.

I disagree, having four Fire/Fighting in a row could be considered unoriginal, but a curse? No way, Fighting is a terrific type. I personally find the idea of Fennekin becoming Fire/Fairy ridiculous and I can see myself disliking Fennekin's evolutions just because of its type, if it ever happen to evolve into Fire/Fairy. As I said before, why Fennekin should evolve into Fairy and not Chespin or Froakie? What makes Fennekin so special? As long as Fennekin's evolution is anything but Fire/Fairy, I'd be happy.

Of course, this is assuming that Glow Punch isn't a egg move or otherwise.
Right, but our precedent is that quadrupedal Pokemon cannot learn punching moves at all, not even via egg or move tutor.

Back
Top Bottom