• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things in pokemon that dont make sense

Yea, I also meant about the relatively new species of Pokemon and
Yeah it also doesn't make sense with Mewtwo

Being able to fly on small birds xD (I'm looking at you Pidgey)

That a fire Pokémon takes more damage when the ground beneath its feet shakes than a, let's say, water Pokémon.

Pokedex entries. Here are some gems.

1) Kadabra: "It happened one morning--a boy with extrasensory powers awoke in bed transformed into Kadabra."
PokeDex: FireRed

What's up with Abra, though?

2) Metang: "It floats midair using magnetism. Its body is so tough, even a crash with a jet plane won't leave a scratch."

Who tested this??

3) Magcargo: "Magcargo's body temperature is approximately 18,000 degrees F. Water is vaporized on contact. If this Pokémon is caught in the rain, the raindrops instantly turn into steam, cloaking the area in a thick fog."
PokeDex: Sapphire

The sun's about 10,000 degrees F at the surface. That means that Magcargo is nearly two times as hot as the sun, and he's just… kinda wandering around the world.

4) Parasect: "It scatters toxic spores from the mushroom cap. In China, the spores are used as herbal medicine."

Kanto. Johto. Hoenn. Sinnoh. Unova. China. One of these things is not like the other.

Besides the ubiquitous Pokeball, most of the illogical aspects of the Pokemon world have to do with two things: The Pokemon world itself, and Pokedex entries. I'll focus on the latter, since the former essentially boils down to the idea that their world revolves around the capture and use of Pokemon, perhaps at the exclusion of most other fields that define reality. For example, if you're on a Pokemon journey, you can't get a formal education as we know it. Does a class of educated individuals and Pokemon trainers/breeders/coordinators/etc. exist? Seems somewhat bizarre the more you contemplate it. I just wonder how the Pokemon trainers get paid. Sure, they battle for prize money, but where does it originally come from? Parents? Family? The bank?

Wailord: It's 877.4 lbs. (380 kg.) whereas blue whales (Balaenoptera musculus) typically weigh 200,000 lbs. (90,718.5 kg.). Placed into perspective, a typical Wailord is 0.44% the mass of their counterpart in the real world. Certainly the series can take liberties with the aspects of Pokemon, but this difference always stuck with me.

Magikarp: There's an entire video on the Vsauce3 channel (YouTube) describing how Magikarp possess the ability to leap mountains - this is simply ridiculous. The damage it would cause is almost unfathomable by most standards we use to gauge force in our everyday lives. I highly recommend looking up the video - some other video describes why other Pokemon like Magmar are similarly crazy (2,200 F???).

Darumaka: "Darumaka's droppings are hot, so people used to put them in their clothes to keep themselves warm" - Pokemon White Pokedex Entry - this requires no explanation. Perhaps the feces of fire Pokemon and animals in our world differ, yes, but that's strange. Period.

Here's one more: How do Pokémon fit inside the the Poké Ball? How do they materialize into a red mass, and then get sent into the ball?

AW HEEL YAH

SCIENCE TAHM

Spoiler for answer:
Okay, so Pokémon are already established to be creatures that can turn energy into matter with a reversed version of the relativity equation of Einstein (i.e. they can make a lot of matter from very little energy).

Well, okay, that's not canon, but that's the closest that we can go without taking up the MST3K Mantra.

So, if you will observe:
pokeball_openb5188ef7-506a-48bc-82ec-7db4da5c975flarge.jpg

The inside of the Poké Ball is covered in mirrors.

Here is where it all comes together.
In physics, there are 9 types of energy.
Fire
Water
Grass
Electric
Dragon
Psychic
Bug
Ghost
And Normal

I'm kidding.
It's actually these:
Kinetic (movement)
Thermal (heat)
Photonic (light)
Sound (you should know what this is)
Nuclear (radioactivity and stuff)
Gravational potential (what kinetic energy turns into when it can fall, but isn't falling)
Elastic potential (what kinetic energy turns into when you put strain on a rubber band or something)
Electrical (once again, obvious)
Chemical (how energy is stored in food, fuel, etc)

Pokémon obviously have control over at least kinetic, sound, photonic, and electrical energy, and possibly nuclear energy as well.
But, as you will note, photonic energy is light.

Now things get complicated: time factors into it.

In the deep darkness of space, time loses its steady tick-tock that Dialga loves so much. The closer you get to light speed, the more time seems to speed up, but actually, you slow down. With me so far?

Well, the Poké Ball works by converting Pokémon into light using their own abilities, and bouncing them around against the mirrors at light speed. Because it's at light speed, time seriously slows down for them (in fact it may stop completely), leaving the Pokémon in a kind of stasis.

Ta-da!

And now for the trivia.
Pokémon become red light because red light, in a vacuum, travels faster than, say, blue light or yellow light. This preserves the Pokémon for longer. They're white when they're coming out because white light is all of the colours combined, and can therefore hold the most energy, allowing the conversion from light into matter to proceed faster.
Also, Poké Balls should technically either be black (so as to be solar powered) or need to charge every once in a while. I would recommend solar power because it has the added effect of being able to absorb the converted Pokémon more easily.

This is just my headcanon, by the way, so feel free to call me out on any physics mistakes.

My brain hurts... :S
Mine dosen't

You know...as sacred as I hold the type alignments and junk like that, I'm starting to see flaws in how battles work as well, beyond the common "turn based is not realistic." The movepools do sometimes do a good job to reflect what is and is not possible for the pokemon to do based on it's physiology, but there are times where an attack that SHOULD be possible for a poke to learn is not there. There are times where attacks that they should NOT be able to have are there. As for elemental or other energy based attacks, the evidence would seem to point to there being no limitation at all on what pokemon are capable of. I would not make pokemon capable of doing just anything, but I also don't want them to be limited to just their specialty and some other things, either. Also, for the things that are purely energy based, there's no reason that everything that is adept at that element should not be capable of the same thing. I understand what the reason for this is, it was to balance the game, but is there really any reason to continue using this limitation outside the context of the game?

I also realize what this line of thought results in, but I am sure everyone's aware of the nature of the type alignments themselves. I agree, they should not be as they are, but how to properly treat it, I do not know. To even attempt to tamper with it seems like a fool's errand. You're sure to break anything that holds the fabric of this universe together. Not to mention it would mean going back on the golden rule of fanfic writing: defy the anime. I do not think that not following the game was the true fault here, it was the manner in which it was done. The anime will even break it's own rules just to make a certain outcome happen. The key has always been to make it more believable. No pulling an instant win out of nowhere, it has to have context that makes sense for how everything works. The system that exists does make an effective framework for this, but I think an effort can be made to where the types are treated more fairly. Then again, this sort of exists, since even by the game mechanics, as long as you're significantly more powerful than the target, even something they resist can take them out in one hit. What I speak of, though, is that this would apply for ALL situations, but it would still require that the character made an effort to overcome their weaknesses. Then again, this could be interpreted in another way, such as training allowing the modification of "stats" beyond what is possible in the game. If stats don't matter, then this would mean nothing anyway and all pokemon are equal in ability to you anyway. My point is this would extend to their ability with their powers. Even the type chart would become meaningless. Note that I greatly fear this idea, but I cannot argue the sense it makes. I'm sure someone could do it, but I'm afraid the fandom is not ready for such a radical departure from game mechanics. (then again, I think ANY departure from game mechanics is frowned upon and all efforts to be anything but the game will have you railroaded)

Destroying a rock hindering the path by using Tauros (or Rock Smash) in a determinate area - You change area - You return in that area when you previously destroyed the rock - You notice the rock spawned again

Destroying a rock hindering the path by using Tauros (or Rock Smash) in a determinate area - You change area - You return in that area when you previously destroyed the rock - You notice the rock spawned again
Then there are the small trees you have Farfetch'd cut down.

Well, maybe the rocks respawn due to landslides.
Then there are the small trees you have Farfetch'd cut down.
But why can't they just grow back?

The fact that in Generation I games, you have to use Silph Scope to identify Ghosts to even have a chance to battle them, yet in all later games, you can catch them perfectly fine like all other Pokemon.

Gengar being the former spirits of humans don't really make much sense in a scientific angle. But imagine they being composed of pollutants made from man-made sources like burning coal or industrial waste.

The Dive HM.

Just how are you protected from the need to breath as well as the water pressure?

And Ultra Beasts, if they're pokemon from another dimension, what's that dimension's version of Ultra Beasts?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom