• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Trainer Customization

There are certain way to avoid that though. Like someone mentioned earlier, it could be shown that you resemble the father that almost never appear in the games. It could even be possible that Gamefreak could design the game which allows you to customise your character and choose your name, and then as the game begins the game is able to generate your mother to have the same hair and skin colour as yours. Although that option would make it impossible to change your character's skin colour after the game starts. You could still change hair colour as it could easily be pretended it was died to that colour.

Another option would be to be able to customise everything except for skin colour, however some people may find that a little controversial that we can finally change our character's appearance and yet still only have white skin available.

One more option I can think of (it is similar to my second suggestion) is to instead of choosing skin colour, you can choose what 'race' your character should be, and then any family members are automatically generated to the same race. Again, you probably wouldn't be able to change your race afterwards though, and I'd prefer it if you could choose skin colour instead of race, unless you could choose both. Although I feel as though Gamefreak would lean towards choosing skin colour rather than race.

I'm sure Gamefreak could come up with something well thought of if they do decide to have customisable characters.

well, it may add more complications. for example, your mother figure; wouldn't it be weird if you had dark skin but for her to be pale? or if you had curly purple hair while her's was blonde and straight? im just sayin'.

I know this is highly unlikely, but who's to say that the player character isn't adopted. I mean, have the chacters and their parents ever acctually been confirmed as being blood related.
Or the character could take their look from their dad. There hasn't been a dad in any Pokemon main series game except for Hoenn, when he was a gym leader, so GF might as well put that absence to use as an excuse.
I'm probably the only one, but I really don't care one way or the other about customization: if we get it, that's cool. If not, I won't be too surprised.

I do feel, though, that the male character in the trailer did look way too similar to Nate and Hilbert, while the girl looks very unique from others. But since this is early game footage, it is likely to change from now until the game comes out. And it's also because of that that I don't find: male character has glasses in one scene, now he doesn't have them in another one, as a real hint towards customization.
That was actually just a glitch, but it's still a clue because this means the glasses aren't attached to the sprite.

Are you sure? It just seems like they kind of forgot about them. I don't want to straight up say they forgot, but being that this was the first trailer, I wouldn't want to jump to customization being the reason for them disappearing.

Guys, the glasses glitch can happen with any part of a 3D model that is rendered seperately, but that doesn't mean it is meant to detach. It just means that the designers created them seperately and stuck them on the protagonist, regardless of whether or not they can be swapped out. It just means that the layer did not move properly and got left behind.

I'd have to question why they'd have a character wearing glasses on their hat were there not trainer customization in this game. There's just no point in wearing glasses on your hat, and it's not something a lot of people do.

I'd have to question why they'd have a character wearing glasses on their hat were there not trainer customization in this game. There's just no point in wearing glasses on your hat, and it's not something a lot of people do.

You seem to be under the impression that characters in Pokemon have never been dressed oddly before.

The glasses could be a special item used in certain parts of the game, and once you obtain them, you wear them on your head until you put them over your eyes to use them. That's one theory.

My hopes lie within customisable characters though. That is something I've been wishing for quite a while now.

well, it may add more complications. for example, your mother figure; wouldn't it be weird if you had dark skin but for her to be pale? or if you had curly purple hair while her's was blonde and straight? im just sayin'.

See, I do agree with this. This kind of thing ends up happening in customizable player character games that have the character with family. In Dragon Age 2 I tried to play as a dark skinned character but the moment I saw my fair skinned family I thought, "...Well dang, I'm obviously the milkman's kid."

If there is a customizable option I would like to play someone who isn't light skinned for once, but still for all the reasons I like it I don't.
It could be passed off as you looking like your father. I mean, he never appears in the game, might as well make use of his absence.

EDIT: Fixed typo. And yes, I do this almost every time I edit. Except for that one time... at the Academy...

See, I do agree with this. This kind of thing ends up happening in customizable player character games that have the character with family. In Dragon Age 2 I tried to play as a dark skinned character but the moment I saw my fair skinned family I thought, "...Well dang, I'm obviously the milkman's kid."

If there is a customizable option I would like to play someone who isn't light skinned for once, but still for all the reasons I like it I don't.
It could be passed off as you looking like your father. I mean, he never appears in the game, might as well make use of his absence.

EDIT: Fixed typo. And yes, I do this almost every time I edit. Except for that one time... at the Academy...

See, I can see where you're coming from with that but given the fact that you only ever get one parent in Pokemon - minus one rarity - well...Dang it, I just want both parents in the game. It's starting to seem like every hero/ine in the Pokemon would has a dead beat dad who just doesn't exist in their world.

Sidenote: In DA2, the father excuse dosen't work since your siblings are both white like your mother while you can be any skin color imaginable - or at least real. So it just would seem...unlikely that the eldest is dark skinned but both siblings are pale white. Hence the whole, I'm probably not the child of my father thing I was joking about with the 'milkman' line.

In Japan, isn't it pretty common for the father to be at work quite a bit (like Norman)? I imagine it's a cultural thing as to why a dad is so rare as opposed to him being a deadbeat. The mother character herself is pretty non-important though, surely designing a model for her varying with the skin color of the player character wouldn't be too much work, would it?

In Dragon Age 2 I tried to play as a dark skinned character but the moment I saw my fair skinned family I thought, "...Well dang, I'm obviously the milkman's kid."

That seems...kind of racist in a way, albeit unintentional on Bioware's part. I don't imagine the family in that game are that important, are they? Surely they could've created versions of them matching the skin color of the PC.

See, I can see where you're coming from with that but given the fact that you only ever get one parent in Pokemon - minus one rarity - well...Dang it, I just want both parents in the game. It's starting to seem like every hero/ine in the Pokemon would has a dead beat dad who just doesn't exist in their world.

Sidenote: In DA2, the father excuse dosen't work since your siblings are both white like your mother while you can be any skin color imaginable - or at least real. So it just would seem...unlikely that the eldest is dark skinned but both siblings are pale white. Hence the whole, I'm probably not the child of my father thing I was joking about with the 'milkman' line.
Siblings can look completely different from you, you know. One sibling can have fair skin, brown hair, and blue eyes and the other can have dark skin, black hair, and brown eyes, depending on your family.

You know guys, some times in pregnancies albeit very rarely, a child will be born with completely different features from its parents, including skin color. There's a lot of recessive genes inside everyone that can pop up completely out of the blue. So we could just imagine that's the case. ;)

I agree that customisation is possible and I really hope we will see it this generation. This generation is perfect for it. It is introducing Pokemon to us in a new 3D world, with 3D character models. Now is the perfect time to bring character customisation into the list of new features Pokemon X and Y shall have.

I'm hoping for COMPLETE CUSTOMIZATION, from tons of hair styles to even adding facial hair. Though I doubt facial hair will be implemented, because you're supposed to be a kid. Also randomizing.

I'm hoping for COMPLETE CUSTOMIZATION, from tons of hair styles to even adding facial hair. Though I doubt facial hair will be implemented, because you're supposed to be a kid. Also randomizing.

I'm hoping for the exact same thing. Complete customisation. Hair style, hair colour, eye colour, eye shape, skin colour, and all different kinds of clothing.

Failing customisation with your actual player character, I'd at least like to see a much larger choice on the trainer class option on your trainer card.

I don't know how I feel about customizable characters. I guess it'd be cool, but I've always liked making headcanons of the Protags with some of my buddies in the fandom. It'd be harder if we all had different characters. I guess we'd be going with the default. But I guess that's a little selfish of me to say (How many times did I say "I guess" in that statement haha).
PS. On those pictures on the first page of the thread of glasses in one screencap, no glasses in the other, there are glasses in that second screencap. They're waaaaay over there by the rope in the back. Floating. :p Looks like they still have some quirks to fix.

A few people in the earlier pages said that it's a fixed PC, so you shouldn't be able to change it. But it's an RPG where pretty much everything else is customisable. You can name your character, your rival (generally), your Pokes... You can play with whatever Pokes you want, and all that seal junk. If that character wasn't meant to represent you even a little bit, I doubt you'd be able to name them. I mean, in the main series of Mario can you name him? What about Zelda, can you name Link? "Fixed PC" isn't the greatest excuse for no customisation.

Yeah, so, I'm all for it. Customisation in Pokemon is the only real reason I ever wanted Battle Revolution. I've never really cared about gender, because I just play as the one I think looks nicer. And playing as Red is the best, okay.

I don't want character customization at all.

I see no point in it.

A few people in the earlier pages said that it's a fixed PC, so you shouldn't be able to change it. But it's an RPG where pretty much everything else is customisable. You can name your character, your rival (generally), your Pokes... You can play with whatever Pokes you want, and all that seal junk. If that character wasn't meant to represent you even a little bit, I doubt you'd be able to name them. I mean, in the main series of Mario can you name him? What about Zelda, can you name Link? "Fixed PC" isn't the greatest excuse for no customisation.

Yeah, so, I'm all for it. Customisation in Pokemon is the only real reason I ever wanted Battle Revolution. I've never really cared about gender, because I just play as the one I think looks nicer. And playing as Red is the best, okay.

Well actually you can name Link. But his role as the silent protagonist is starting to fade away as each game gives him more and more of a personality. Originally his intent as stated by Miyamoto was for you the player to feel like the hero. He was a blank slate for that reason much like the trainers. But unlike the trainers in Pokemon each game expanded on his heritage and his character. Till eventually you knew before a Zelda game was even announced you'd be playing as Link. Pokemon isn't like that however. You haven't gone on playing as Red since Red/Green. It's changed every gen. But one thing has stayed the same, the blank slate. Our trainers have zero personality except the ones we give them by selecting yes, or no. We're overdo for customization

I don't want character customization at all.

I see no point in it.

It's not suppose to have a point to it. Customisable trainers would be one of those features that aren't necessary in order to enjoy the game, but can help to make the game even more enjoyable to play. It would be one of those features that players would love solely for the purpose that it would be fun to have, and it would help your player trainer feel more personalised, more like 'you.'

I would definitely love to see customisable trainers, and now that Pokemon has become 3D, character customisation is definitely a lot more likely to happen now, or in the future, than when the games were still in 2D, with 2D sprites as opposed to 3D models.

I've said this before but if they're going to allow customization, the very least clothing the character can wear should be a t-shirt and shorts. Too much skin exposure have always been issues of rpg games that allow player customization... and people won't want their kids to play a game where the avatar is collecting badges in their underwear or a bikini.

Back
Top Bottom