• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What does your ideal Pokémon game look like?

I don't see how the BW and XY extremes are compatible. Would you really enjoy a regional Pokédex with only 65-80 Pokémon?

Ehh, re-thinking it, I am honestly not too sure. I suppose I'd enjoy it with 80~90 Pokemon, but it's something I can't be certain on.

Okay so how about my actual comment besides my one like two comments ago. My ideal game-

- MOAR FREEDOM!!!!!!!1!!! Like c'mon people do you really like being glued into some storyline that you have to follow in order to beat the game? What if I don't want to battle they gyms? What if I just want to roam a region and play on my own time, and not have to worry about some evil team or the champion. I think that they need a game that is basically a Skyrim Pokemon thingy where you can do whatever you want. Yeah, there should be a storyline, but you don't need to be a slave to it. Let us walk off the roads. Please. Open world. Please.

- MOAR CUSTOMIZATIONZ !!!!11!!!!!!!1!! Okay so Gen VI introduced character customization and the fan base went crazy. I personally loved it. I could play as a girl and not worry about wearing some frilly pink outfit. It was literally the greatest idea ever. It really made the story more your own and it felt like that little trainer model was me and not Serena or whatever her name is. Next idea to improve that- More ways to customize hair and clothing. But take it further. Give us a Sims creator screen when designing our character. Let us decide how old we are. Because let's face it majority of Pokemon players aren't 8-10 year old kids like the main characters are. We're teenagers, heck some of us are in our 20s+. So why must we be a little kid? One of the main ideas in Pokemon is to make your own journey so how 'bout we start with making our own character?

- MOAR PLAYER/POKEMON INTERACTIONZ !!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!! I loved the addition of Amie in Gen 6. I actually didn't know you could pet your Pokemon until my sister showed me the feature. I thought it was just a cute little bottom screen application to watch your Pokemon hop back and forth while you ran around. But now that players can interact with their partners, the player/Pokemon relationships have grown that much deeper. But how about we make Amie fully interactive? Make it more like Nintendogs, where your Pokemon changes position and has different spots it wants you to pet it. Maybe make natures an influence too. Lonely Pokemon don't react as much to being pet, while Jolly Pokemon are more hyperactive and love the attention. Maybe give them stupid toys or whatever to play with. And please please please please please (3,789,210 pleases later) bring back the Pokemon walking behind the player feature. Just imagine how cool that would be in 3D. Maybe make that a part of Amie or something, where you can interact with them right out in the wilderness.

- POKEMON CLOTHING, MEGA STONE ACCESSORIES !!!!!!1!!!!11!!!!!! Okay this one may seem a little petty but I bet theres a whole bunch of you who secretly would love this. In the Anime trainers who mega-evolve their Pokemon have them wearing these cool headbands and necklaces and whatever. Why can't us trainers do the same? That would be so cool to send out my Ampharos in battle wearing a mega stone necklace and when I do the animation her necklace would start glowing or something. Would that not be so awesome? It would make the Pokemon feel more like your own, and not just another Pokemon. Just like with character customization as I said above we need more freedom to make the story our own. And in terms of Pokemon clothing- we have Cosplay Pikachu, but what about Cosplay Haxorus? Or Cosplay Slaking? Every Pokemon deserves to look fabulous and maybe if they bring back boutiques there can be a section for Pokemon clothing. Yeah, there would be limitations, like Milotic probably wouldn't be able to wear gloves. But Gamefreak, let us dress our Serperiors in top hats like they were always meant to be. (No- Pokemon musical is stupid and doesn't count)

- LESS BLACK SCREEN, MOAR 3D!!!!!!!11!!! You know how between scenes like eating at the Lumiose restaurants there goes to a black screen where you hear munching sounds. What is instead you got to watch your character eat the food, and maybe even add in your Pokemon sneaking food off the plate? Or between the wild encounter and the actual battle show more zooming in, and an animation or your character being surprised. I would love a full HD 3D game much like XD and PBR where the over world and battle screens used the same models. I am personally not a fan of the low resolution models for the X and Y over world. Give us the gorgeous battle cel shaded models for exploring the region.

That just about sums it up. Crazy? Yes, just a little. But hear me out. You may (probably will) disagree wit some stuff I have to say, but hey. This is just one girl's opinion of the perfect Pokemon game. And even if that existed someone would find a problem with it.

My ideal Pokémon game would have:

General
-150 to 250-ish new Pokémon
-Remove the trade evolution, or at very least, give us the ability to evolve Pokémon that have a trade evolution through another means other than trading
-Seasons makes a return

Region and Story
-A Fairly Large region
-Fairly Dark Storyline with multiple villainous teams fighting each other

Player Character
-Fully Customizable with eye color, skin tone, hair color and what not
-The PC has Siblings and not be just the PC and his/her mother
-Female Parent is the Regional Professor

Clothing
-Themed/Specialty Clothing Stores (I.E. Gothic Clothing, Costumes, and what not)
-Seasonal Clothing

Gyms and Gym Leaders
-Has a Dark Gym and Dark Gym Leader
-One of the Gym Leaders is one of the PC's Siblings

Here's my ideas, will be adding more eventually.

1. Genetics.

How cool would it be to have different colored Mons? Not shiny, but different eye/slightly different fur/claws? If we had genetics, every Mon would be worth something even without perfect IVs. If you breed 2 Mons together, the offspring would have some Mom and some Dad traits, with recessive and dominant traits.

Here's my ideas, will be adding more eventually.

1. Genetics.

How cool would it be to have different colored Mons? Not shiny, but different eye/slightly different fur/claws? If we had genetics, every Mon would be worth something even without perfect IVs. If you breed 2 Mons together, the offspring would have some Mom and some Dad traits, with recessive and dominant traits.

This! It would be so cool if every Pokémon had a Spinda thing going on, that every one looks a bit differently. That way everyone would have different looking Mons, even if they use the same species. I would absolutely love that.

Region:

You would start off in a completely new region. But you could travel to any other region in the series. And so your Pokemon don't get massively overpowered, you'd have to leave the ones you had in the previous region behind. But you could use any of them after beating the Elite Four (Or Gym Leaders on Johto's case) of the region you just entered.

Example: You had a level 74 Charizard in Kanto. You have to leave it behind in Kanto when you go to Johto. But once you get all eight badges from Johto you can use any of your Pokemon from Kanto in Johto.

Available Pokemon:

Every single Pokemon should be catchable (except for ones like Diancie, etc). I don't like using having to use Wondertrade and GTS and having to breed the Pokemon because it has a stupid nickname. Especially ones that evolve through trade.

More character customization:

Gen VI took a step in the right direction with this. Although I'd like to see more options for the PC's height, hair and eyes among other things.

Keep good stuff from previous games:

I'm referring to Pokemon following you, the Pokeathelon, Pokemon Amie and Super Training. Stuff like that. Those ball seals in DPPt were cool, too.

For the love of Arceus:

Keep Legendary Pokemon out of the main narrative/story line. Gen I and II were so enjoyable for me because of the story. But the stories are becoming predictable and boring.

Difficulties:

You get the drift. Easy, Normal and all the other stuff.

I'll add more if I think of any.:yawn:

Region: Regardless of it's new or a remake make it big with lots of areas.

Pokedex: Lots of available Pokemon, think black/white 2 levels of diversity.

Story: Similar quality writing that made black/white and the mystery dungeon games so famous.

Music: As epic as possible, old songs could get remixes like the countless ones found on youtube. Ones from GlitchCity are pretty good if somewhat long.

Sidequests/episodes: Have available side quests during the story and not all saved for post game. Stuff like getting other starters, rare items and rare Pokemon being potential prizes. Every other RPG does it so should Pokemon. And many more are unlocked post game.

Difficulty: Have the ability to change it from easy, normal or hard from the title screen.

A new "Equalizer" Option: Turning this on from the title screen makes important opponents (think gym leaders, team leaders, E4, Champion etc) have levels that match the level of your strongest Pokemon if it's level is higher than their Pokemon. Use this for more epic showdowns.

Strong Rematches: You can rematch Gym Leaders and E4 with stronger teams post game. What they have and their levels depend on difficulty setting and if Equalizer is turned on/off.

HMs get reworked: They still exist and can teach moves but now with a new twist. You don't have to teach your Pokemon the move to use it in the overworld. You just need to have a Pokemon compatible with the move in your party and you can use the HM like an item to "temporarily" teach your Pokemon the move to use it once.

New Items: Hidden Capsule: Changes a Pokemon's ability to it's hidden ability, a BP prize. Plasmids: Boosts a Pokemon's potential to it's fullest (boosts corresponding IV to 31), a BP prize. Comes in 6 variants, 1 for each stat, this way Pokemon you have become attached too but aren't "strong competitively" can have a chance if you work for it.

Breeding: Starters, Eevee and similar Pokemon have a 50/50 gender ratio. Nidorina and Nidoqueen can now breed, they are in the same egg group as Nidoran Female. You can also now toggle an option to put any hatched Pokemon into any desired ball in your bag, otherwise it works like XY.

The best stuff from previous games: Walking Pokemon, Dress Up, Pokemon Amie etc

Move Tutors: Lots of them, many moves available.

Rebalances: Ice now resists Flying, Ground and Fairy, Hail now boosts ice type physical defense by 50%, Fairy now resists Ghost, Psychic is now immune to confusion and attract, Rock Slide now has 90 BP, Arm Thrust now has 25 BP, Aerial Ace now has 80 BP, Hawlucha can now learn Brave Bird.

Other: Doing a sidequest can unlock a special NPC who will help you evolve Pokemon that can only evolve from trading in exchange for evolution stones. More Mega Evolutions.

Last edited:
For me my ideal Pokemon game would be a MMO type. Have all regions available in the handheld versions, the ability to travel to all different regions. Where you start your journey will determine the starter type you get. Have interactions and battles with other player characters as well as NPCs. Do quests and jobs for money and items to craft into things for your pokemon/self. Have the ability to determine how your character and mons advance. If you want to be a gym leader then you would take a different path than some one who wanted to be a breeder or who wanted to show pokemon in contests either way you go it is your choice and the game is not linear so you can raise your mons and character as you want. Cross training would be allowed as well but you would lose some of the skills you gain from one career path as you progress into another, that way your character doesnt just become perfect in all areas you will have a give and take. With the online abilities of the Wii U and its ability to transfer data to the handheld systems they could easily make this work. Also having the ability to transfer your mons in and out of the current handheld versions through bank would be great too. And maybe a handheld offline game that can be played on the 3DS family when away. Your characters can follow the main solo story on either the Wii U or handheld with out interfearing with the MMO quests and achievements.

This online/offline setup has been done before in a slightly more primitive way with Phantasy Star Online. That game came out for the Game Cube back in 2003, I cant help but imagine that the technology has only gotten better since then... after all that was 11 years ago...

Dom

GAMEPLAY:
Difficulty setting from the beginning. Maybe named after pokeballs (normal, great, ultra, master) or contests (normal, super, hyper, master).

Choice of profession. With differing dialogue and minor options changed depending on the choice. Also chance to change/add more.

More difficult Gym Leaders/Elites. Perhaps dual-typed, e.g. grass/poison would have Ekans, Tangela and Gloom. AND/OR a speciality in a type of battle (double, triple, sky, inverse, etc)

Good storytelling. With villainous teams who are smart, and don't necessarily want to takeover/destroy/revamp the ENTIRE WORLD.

Not taking out the good features from previous gens. From everything like night/day & seasons, to Secret bases, Contests, PWT etc.

POKEMON:
All starters available in-game. As it is now, I have started games, traded and restarted multiple times to get all the starters. All fossils should be available too.

Low number of 'new' pokemon. 100 or fewer. Low number of 'new' megas too, and a decent amount of cross-gen evos.

Legendaries get side stories, not main ones. Keep the number of Legendaries low as well. Legendary status needs to change to accommodate how many there are now. Like, they should all breed, even if only with Ditto. Legit Legendaries would be so much easier to get.

Walking Pokemon to return. This would be nice but isn't essential.

HM system needs revamping. Either make the moves better (e.g. give Strength & Cut a secondary effect, if Rock Climb returns make it rock-type), or have it where any appropriate Poke can use the move out of battle after you obtain a certain number of badges (i.e. after one badge, any poke can use Cut, after five badges any water-type can Surf, but only after eight can any water-type Waterfall Climb)

Less Pokémon that only evolve by trading. Or, have a NPC who can trade & tradeback. (Post-Elites, maybe.)

PokéStar Studios pokemon to be made real. Wouldn't you love to capture and battle with Humanoid, Majin, White Door, Black Door, and Transport?

Type-chart rebalancing There's a different thread to go into detail for this, but i'd definitely want to change / tweak some interactions between types. Also i'd want to change how the damage calculation works.

MOST IMPORTANTLY OF ALL THINGS, I WANT THIS TO HAPPEN:
Number of party Pokes increased to 9. HM Slaving would be less of an issue. All NPCs would have more Pokes too, and maybe implement a system where during certain battles you can only choose a subset of the ones you're carrying. (e.g. a regular trainer battle where the opponent has 3 and you can choose 3).

Region: Regardless of it's new or a remake make it big with lots of areas.

Pokedex: Lots of available Pokemon, think black/white 2 levels of diversity.

Story: Similar quality writing that made black/white and the mystery dungeon games so famous.

Music: As epic as possible, old songs could get remixes like the countless ones found on youtube. Ones from GlitchCity are pretty good if somewhat long.

Sidequests/episodes: Have available side quests during the story and not all saved for post game. Stuff like getting other starters, rare items and rare Pokemon being potential prizes. Every other RPG does it so should Pokemon. And many more are unlocked post game.

Difficulty: Have the ability to change it from easy, normal or hard from the title screen.

A new "Equalizer" Option: Turning this on from the title screen makes important opponents (think gym leaders, team leaders, E4, Champion etc) have levels that match the level of your strongest Pokemon if it's level is higher than their Pokemon. Use this for more epic showdowns.

Strong Rematches: You can rematch Gym Leaders and E4 with stronger teams post game. What they have and their levels depend on difficulty setting and if Equalizer is turned on/off.

HMs get reworked: They still exist and can teach moves but now with a new twist. You don't have to teach your Pokemon the move to use it in the overworld. You just need to have a Pokemon compatible with the move in your party and you can use the HM like an item to "temporarily" teach your Pokemon the move to use it once.

New Items: Hidden Capsule: Changes a Pokemon's ability to it's hidden ability, a BP prize. Plasmids: Boosts a Pokemon's potential to it's fullest (boosts corresponding IV to 31), a BP prize. Comes in 6 variants, 1 for each stat, this way Pokemon you have become attached too but aren't "strong competitively" can have a chance if you work for it.

Breeding: Starters, Eevee and similar Pokemon have a 50/50 gender ratio. Nidorina and Nidoqueen can now breed, they are in the same egg group as Nidoran Female. You can also now toggle an option to put any hatched Pokemon into any desired ball in your bag, otherwise it works like XY.

The best stuff from previous games: Walking Pokemon, Dress Up, Pokemon Amie etc

Move Tutors: Lots of them, many moves available.

Rebalances: Ice now resists Flying, Ground and Fairy, Hail now boosts ice type physical defense by 50%, Fairy now resists Ghost, Psychic is now immune to confusion and attract, Rock Slide now has 90 BP, Arm Thrust now has 25 BP, Aerial Ace now has 80 BP, Hawlucha can now learn Brave Bird.

Other: Doing a sidequest can unlock a special NPC who will help you evolve Pokemon that can only evolve from trading in exchange for evolution stones. More Mega Evolutions.

THIS! I agree with all of this! The item ideas are the best I've seen!
This, to me, would possibly be the perfect Pokemon game to date. (Of course, still want to join trainer classes... but mostly the evil teams... ok I'll leave...)

Revamped Approach to Gyms

This is my big number one for the franchise. To barrel through a bunch of type specialized trainers only to have a gym leader spam a battle-instance overpowered TM is mind numbing. Eight times? Six generations. I'm down for a new theory on bosses and badges, thank you.

Probably the most important thing in my ideal pokemon game would be for the Gym Leaders to not have monotype teams. Getting really tired of Gym Leaders with monotype teams because i just need to get a mon with the type advantage and we sweep them. I want the Gym Leaders to have teams based on themes or specifc strategies.

My ideal pokemon game would not have the "Defeat 8 Gym Leaders, beat the evil team, become the Champion, the end". This setup is starting to get really old and boring.

Well I would like 5 things really, some of which overlap with OP:

1. A continuation to a previous Gen. Like what GSC was to FRLG, and besides GameFreak can't keep making new Pokemon and coming up with new regions and locations. It gets old.

2. The ability to choose "profession" at the start. Instead of being a sole Pokemon Master, you can choose additional alternate paths such as being a Coordinator (already done), Gym Leader, Professor, Team (evil)'s executive. That way, it allows for more playability. After Trainers reach a certain point - like 4th or 5th badge - they can make decisions that will alter the rest of the game.

3. Less Legendary Pokemon. How many legends can there be in the Pokemon world? Each with such overreaching power? 'Nuff said.

4. More NPC interaction. I loved it when I got to see the Gym Leaders out of HGSS interacting with their world environments and elements. Jasmine cracked me up when she appeared in Sinnoh. Cross-generation and cross-regional interaction should also be explored. I would love seeing Drasna, Siebold and Wikstrom doing something else outside of the Elite Four, seeing as we've seen so little of them.

5. More Pokemon interaction in-game. So, Pokemon amie was a step in the right direction, and so was Super Training. What happened to walking with Pokemon? Or getting to see their reactions when you talk to them/and other wild/Trainers' Pokemon in game? That would make the world more realistic and cool.

Travel Companions: I think it would be great to have someone travel with you all the time just like the anime. It could be optional to have them be your partner for double battles or they could simply just accompany you. It could make the story more dynamic too. The evil team, for example Team Aqua, could kidnap your travel companion to stop you guys from interfering so you have to rescue them. If they wanted to get real technical, you could even have one travel companions doing a more anime like contests while the other does gym battles.

Dynamic Difficulty level: This should be unlocked from the start and be changed during the game if needed. For this mode to be unique, it should let the AI automatically adjust the level of your opponent/wild Pokemon to 3 different levels.

Easy - Opponents will always be a few levels under you
Normal - Same amount of opponent Pokemon for battles and the levels are equal to yours
Hard - Trainers have 2 extra Pokemon and the level of opponents are always several levels higher

Harder Gym battles would be great too and some rules for them in hard mode would make it fun and more of a challenge. For example, some gyms may limit your use of one Potion/revive only and you must use a equal amount or less of Pokemon to your opponent. With this system, you could set the pace of the stories difficulty. Instead of the Elite Four battle being at level 50, you could make it at level 90 or 100 and make it a true ultimate battle! Also the A.I needs to be more aggressive, there's so many times it could easily finish me off yet it uses a move that doesn't even have any effect instead.

Training Mode: This one could possibly get annoying, but I think it would add to the challenge. Instead of Pokemon automatically knowing moves just because they reached a level, you could complete a mini game first for them to be able to know it. For example, if you were teaching Swellow Arial Ace, you had to tap A at the correct moment 3 times in a row for it to be able to use the move successfully.
Also having your travelling companion with you, there could be a mode where you could battle them using your own or their Pokes to try out new moves or strategies.

Less Linear Story: - Since the level of wild Pokemon/trainers would be determined by yours, you could travel practically anywhere on the map at any time. The story is always so linear and I would love to be able to go to whichever gym I want to first, or even have a option of taking two different paths with different outcomes.

Another issue with the story I would change is having to always be better than everyone you battle. I want to battle someone that's so good it takes me the whole game just to be able to win against them. Instead of always betting your rival and them not even winning once, I want to be able to lose to them and have the story continue. It would feel so much more fulfilling if you finally get to beat your rival just before the top 16 after losing to them countless times (Sort of like Ash finally beating Gary in the Johto League).

Tournament Added To Elite Four: I personally like the way the anime portrays the Pokemon league better and I want this for the games. The Pokemon World Tournament was a lot of fun and it could not only extend the story, but also increase the difficulty. First you would have to win the Top 16 and once you win that, your next and final goal on your journey would be to defeat the Elite Four and current champion. Maybe after every 15-20,000 steps you could receive a challenge from a new challenger and have to fly back to victory league to defend your title.

Other Small Changes:

- HM's become abilities that can be taught without using the move, finally bringing an end to having to use HM Slaves

- Pokemon can follow you outside their Pokeball like in HGSS

- Have Nintendo staff moderate the GTS so no more low level Pokemon looking for level 100 Kyogre

- The return of day/night cycles with certain Pokemon only able to be caught during certain times of the day

- Better post game content, possibly like the Orange Islands with Gym Battles than involve more than just battling. Also the PWT is some form that lets you battle past Gym Leaders/Elite Four.

- Anime cries for every Pokemon, not just Pikachu.

Prior to ORAS, I would have had a few more but the DexNav feature and having Pokemon such as Wingull visible on the beaches and flying by really add to the ambient life in the games. If they increase the amount of the occurrences it would be great.

Last edited:
There are a number of things I would like to see from my ideal Pokemon game:

1. A region based on South Korea
I've wanted a region based on Korea for a long time, with a city based on Seoul as the central city of the region. If we have a European region for Kalos, why not an Asian-based region for Gen 7, specifically Korea because of how close it is to Japan. I actually want the region to LOOK Asian too, not the psuedo-western look Kanto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh all had (Johto actually looked Japanese in many places, specifically Violet and Ecruteak), which might be to appeal to an international audience, but Kalos is probably the region most accurate to it's real life counterpart (though Lumiose could have added more Parisian landmarks than just the Eiffel Tower, but it added )

2. Have over 100 new Pokemon while still having a large variety of old favorites too
The thing I hated about X/Y was that there wasn't enough new Pokemon and too many old Pokemon, with only 68 new Pokemon with over 300 older Pokemon in the regional dex. I kind of want balance between old and new Pokemon rather than more old than new or vice-versa, because the Kalos dex was very unbalanced with more older Pokemon than newer Pokemon. One can argue this is because of Mega Evolutions, but even the amount of Megas introduced in X/Y combined with the new Pokemon did not even fill up HALF the Kalos dex. You can have new Megas still, but if anything, I would like the regional dex to be one half old Pokemon and one half new Pokemon, that way the region is balanced and varied, but save most of the older Pokemon for the National dex please.

3. Return of walking Pokemon, possibly combine it with Amie
I think everyone wants walking Pokemon back, and I will agree it was cute. Today we have Amie, and I wish they combined the two together in a single feature. I also want more interactivity with Amie as well.

4. A dark type gym
Enough said, it's overdue after 5 generations, we've had three Ice gyms in a row and an Electric gym every generation. What's the problem with Dark type gyms? Is it because they're called the "Evil type" in Japan and they don't want a Gym Leader who's "evil" unless he/she's the villain team leader? On that topic, why not make the villain team leader a Gym leader again, like Giovanni was in Gen 1, or better yet, go beyond just a gym leader and make him/her the champion for once. It's never been done and would be a wonderful plot twist.

5. More features for player customization with a variety of outfits
I really don't want them to remove customization, but I want more features and outfits. No means of being forced to wear a hat and accessory all the time like in X/Y, but give the player a variety of different outfits, costumes, hairstyles, etc. Like for instance, when you're at the villain team hideout you can get a costume that allows you to dress like a grunt, and not like the one you wear for a short time in HG/SS, or even have seasonal outfits that are sold during certain months.

6. Non-linear region
I'm kind of annoyed by how Unova and Kalos follow what I like to call "Linoone logic" by having the region very linear and you just travel in a straight line from town to town. I want to go back to the days of Hoenn and Sinnoh where you go from one town to another and backtrack to different places to get to newer ones. The reason I refer to it as "Linoone logic" is because Linoone's Pokedex entry states it mainly runs in straight lines, something that could easily relate to the linearity of later Pokemon games.

7. Show the player's father, and maybe some siblings too
Does Game Freak have something against fathers? The only one we have is Norman in Gen 3. Why not have an aloof father who is also the champion, or even the regional professor, or he plays a significant role in the game. Also, doesn't the player get lonely at home, why not give him like a younger or older sibling too that could serve as a rival.

What I WOULDN'T want though is multiple regions, joining the villain team, or for it to be a continuation of a previous story, since all those demands are too common among the fandom and I don't agree with them too much. I'm also not too fond of "Dark and Edgy" storylines in the main series, while it can have dark elements in it like many recent Pokemon games have been having, I don't want the entire story to be dark all the time, because I would like some balance between the light and dark elements of the story too.

As for how I think the story itself should go, still stick with the "Get gym badges and become the champion" plot because I feel that's traditional for the franchise. The Champion should be someone like the player's father or the leader of a large company (or even both) if not the villain team leader the first time you face the league, then the second time you fight someone else at the end like your father or something. The villain team should be a group that many think could be the good guys through their actions when they are only up to no good, and maybe give it a different name than the "Team Noun" naming formula, but that probably won't happen.

My ideal Pokémon game would have:

General
-150 to 250-ish new Pokémon
-Remove the trade evolution, or at very least, give us the ability to evolve Pokémon that have a trade evolution through another means other than trading
-Seasons makes a return

Region and Story
-A Fairly Large region
-Fairly Dark Storyline with multiple villainous teams fighting each other

Player Character
-Fully Customizable with eye color, skin tone, hair color and what not
-The PC has Siblings and not be just the PC and his/her mother
-Female Parent is the Regional Professor

Clothing
-Themed/Specialty Clothing Stores (I.E. Gothic Clothing, Costumes, and what not)
-Seasonal Clothing

Gyms and Gym Leaders
-Has a Dark Gym and Dark Gym Leader
-One of the Gym Leaders is one of the PC's Siblings

This is almost EXACTLY the kind of Pokemon game I am talking about.

Last edited:
6. Non-linear region
I'm kind of annoyed by how Unova and Kalos follow what I like to call "Linoone logic" by having the region very linear and you just travel in a straight line from town to town. I want to go back to the days of Hoenn and Sinnoh where you go from one town to another and backtrack to different places to get to newer ones. The reason I refer to it as "Linoone logic" is because Linoone's Pokedex entry states it mainly runs in straight lines, something that could easily relate to the linearity of later Pokemon games.
You're always going to have linear regions. Just because you backtrack doesn't mean a region isn't linear. For something to be non-linear, you need branching options. Think kind of how in Diamond/Pearl you could have challenged the Pastoria, Veilstone, and Hearthome Gyms in almost any order, that's about the max amount of nonlinearity we've ever gotten.

Probably the most important thing in my ideal pokemon game would be for the Gym Leaders to not have monotype teams. Getting really tired of Gym Leaders with monotype teams because i just need to get a mon with the type advantage and we sweep them. I want the Gym Leaders to have teams based on themes or specifc strategies.
They did some experimentation with this in Diamond and Pearl and I recall it wasn't received entirely all that well.

They did some experimentation with this in Diamond and Pearl and I recall it wasn't received entirely all that well.
They didn't experimented with it. Sinnoh Dex lacked mons on of a lot of types, mainly fire, which only had the Chimchar line and the Ponyta line and the electric type had only Luxray line, the Raichu line and Pachirisu.

This why Volkner and Flint had mons that weren't of their type in Diamond and Pearl.

Last edited:
They didn't experimented with it. Sinnoh Dex lacked mons on of a lot of types, mainly fire, which only had the Chimchar line and the Ponyta line and the electric type had only Luxray line, the Raichu line and Pachirisu.

This why Volkner and Flint had mons that weren't of their type in Diamond and Pearl. And to be honest, i liked this.
They did experiment with it. Flint's team was (off the top of my head) 3/5ths not Fire, Candice had a Medicham, Volkner had an Octillery. The gyms were not completely monotype, but more monothemed. As far as I recall, most people didn't like it.

You're always going to have linear regions. Just because you backtrack doesn't mean a region isn't linear. For something to be non-linear, you need branching options. Think kind of how in Diamond/Pearl you could have challenged the Pastoria, Veilstone, and Hearthome Gyms in almost any order, that's about the max amount of nonlinearity we've ever gotten.

That's what he meant, more branching options like we had before 5th gen.

This why Volkner and Flint had mons that weren't of their type in Diamond and Pearl. And to be honest, i liked this.
They did experiment with it. Flint's team was (off the top of my head) 3/5ths not Fire, Candice had a Medicham, Volkner had an Octillery. The gyms were not completely monotype, but more monothemed. As far as I recall, most people didn't like it.
That is not why people complained. People complained about Volkner and Flint having mons that were not of their type because they are supossed to be of a single type specialist but yet they have mons that are not of the type they specialize.

Also, Candice had a Medicham because there are only two Ice type lines in the Sinnoh Dex, which are the Abomasnow and the Weavile line.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom