• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview XY0??: Grant, Viola (Battle Chateau?)

Perhaps not, as he is just a child. The anime!Battle Chateau looks pretty mature, with both gym leaders wearing robes over formal clothes.

Hmm, the boy with the orange hoodie... You can see him beside Ash while watching the battle and behind him while Ash is talking to Grant. Please be a rival, and not a COTD!

The orange is swagilicious.

I suspect this might be a tournament like the ones we've seen in BW with Grant vs. Viola being an exhibition match like Cynthia vs. Caitlin. Weird thing being however that during the battle between Grant and Viola I count 15 people on the balcony in the background, not counting Ash, Clemont, Bonnie and Serena. As these tournaments usually have 16 participants this will probably mean that only one of the group will enter, probably Ash. I wouldn't like this though, why wouldn't Clemont and Serena enter?

Of course I might be overthinking and it might not be a tournament at all and Grant vs. Viola might just be a means of introducing Grant and possibly the guy in the orange sweater who might have a bigger role.

I suspect this might be a tournament like the ones we've seen in BW with Grant vs. Viola being an exhibition match like Cynthia vs. Caitlin. Weird thing being however that during the battle between Grant and Viola I count 15 people on the balcony in the background, not counting Ash, Clemont, Bonnie and Serena. As these tournaments usually have 16 participants this will probably mean that only one of the group will enter, probably Ash. I wouldn't like this though, why wouldn't Clemont and Serena enter?

Of course I might be overthinking and it might not be a tournament at all and Grant vs. Viola might just be a means of introducing Grant and possibly the guy in the orange sweater who might have a bigger role.

You've got a point there.

Just as long as it doesn't suck as hard as the Junior Cup (sure that wouldn't take anything, but still)

Last edited:
Grant should hand viola's ass to her on a silver platter. Just showing him breaking the ice field and having it end in a tie wont hype him nearly as much as surskit taking a stone edge to the face and fainting instantly.

Grant should win this battle just to hype him up for his battle with Ash.

Well...Grant looks cool, but Viola looks awesomeee. She looks incredible in this hairstyle. *.*
I think we will get to see Amaura or Tyrunt in his gym battle with Ash.
And maybe the battle between Viola and Grant is just an exhibition battle like the one that Cynthia and Caitlin did the Junior Cup in BW, as they have an upper trainer calss in the chateau than the player. So, Ash and his friends along with the Youngster Joey :p will possiblt be part. As of BW a tournament takes at least 3 episodes, but as we know only Serena, Ash, Clemont and Youngster from the participants it can be a 2 episode or all in one maybe, as the Marine Cup in BWDA! was, which appealed disgusting to me.

I'm a bit disappointed that Grant has an Onix in the anime when he doesn't need to have one. We've seen 2 other Rock-type Gym Leaders use this pokemon, and that was only because their game counterparts used Onix.

It would have been better, in my opinion, for the writers to have Grant use a pokemon from in-game team here.

On another note, I found it odd that Clemont isn't wearing nobility clothes here. His game counterpart, who is also a Gym Leader, has a noble rank in the Battle Chateau. I guess he doesn't have a rank in the anime.

On another note, I found it odd that Clemont isn't wearing nobility clothes here. His game counterpart, who is also a Gym Leader, has a noble rank in the Battle Chateau. I guess he doesn't have a rank in the anime.

Nobody wears nobility clothes in the Battle Chateau in the games. Even if they do in the anime, Clemont may simply not have had time to change into them.

Grant should hand viola's ass to her on a silver platter. Just showing him breaking the ice field and having it end in a tie wont hype him nearly as much as surskit taking a stone edge to the face and fainting instantly.
Bullshit. They are both gym leaders, I don't see any logic in one of them easily beating the other, regardless of Zakuro's type advantage over Viola.

Zakuro should win the battle, obviously, because of type advantage and stuff, but not "hand Viola's ass" or whatever. Ugh.

Anime Clemont certainly doesn't seem to be an experienced Gym leader though - the second episode had him meeting the Professor for the first time, so it would make sense he might not have caught the eye of the nobility yet either.

That could just mean that being the Gym leader would give him that status, but he's never taken it up/known about it. It might come up towards the end of the episode, particularly if Ash/Serena take part in battles and get ranks themselves.

I'd like it if the Battle Chateau wasn't just a single place in the anime and we got recurring episodes of different places around Kalos, even if it was something that just Serena showed an interest in, so her strength could be measured similar to gaining badges and pushing her Pokemon to take on stronger opponents.

Bullshit. They are both gym leaders, I don't see any logic in one of them easily beating the other, regardless of Zakuro's type advantage over Viola.

Zakuro should win the battle, obviously, because of type advantage and stuff, but not "hand Viola's ass" or whatever. Ugh.

The logic is that grant needs to be hyped up, and viola needs to pay for that humiliating first battle.

Technically Onix and Surskit are more or less "evenly" matched in terms of type advantage, with Surskit slightly edging over because Onix is 4X weak to Water.

Technically Onix and Surskit are more or less "evenly" matched in terms of type advantage, with Surskit slightly edging over because Onix is 4X weak to Water.

Except for the whole no water type attacks thing. Onix should pwn the little bug so Viola knows how it feels to be humiliated.

I just wish it was a this gen rock type. Seeing something like Binacle or Carbink would of been a much better option.

It's obvious this episode takes place in March, all February episodes are revealed already. :lol:

There's still 4 episodes left to be revealed: Mega Lucario, Diantha/Mega Gardevoir, Malamar, Grant vs Viola. I suppose these will air on March 6, 13, 20, 27.

It's obvious this episode takes place in March, all February episodes are revealed already. :lol:

There's still 4 episodes left to be revealed: Mega Lucario, Diantha/Mega Gardevoir, Malamar, Grant vs Viola. I suppose these will air on March 6, 13, 20, 27.

And maybe some other episodes we don't know about (hey, ya never know).

And here's a thought...if they are at the Battle Chateau, maybe Diantha could be hanging out with the Gym Leaders. That would be pretty cool!

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom