• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Do you have any unpopular opinions about the anime?

-Satoshi and Shooti facing off first in the Isshu League, no this isn't the writers admitting they "fucked up" with Shooti. This isn't the writers attempt at apologizing to the "fans," this is the Internet. We are not the target audience, they don't give a ratass about older fans. The writers are just trying out something different in my opinion, Satoshi's main rival being taken down round one was something very unexpected and interesting. Now things about what will happen are pretty up in the air regarding who Satoshi's "super match" of the league will be, a.k.a the main one of the League.

-Shooti isn't done after his defeat by Satoshi at the league, he most likely, in my opinion, will appear post league for some reason. It's hard to believe this might happen since Shinji and Shigeru were pretty much done after their league battles, but BW is known for doing unpredictable things and I really don't think he's written out of the story like everyone thinks.

-"Satoshi doesn't train his Pokemon in BW." Most of Satoshi's training is happening off-screen. BW isn't as "training" heavy as DP which ran for 192 episodes, the writers rarely in a blue moon dedicated whole episodes of training to Pokemon pre-DP. We've seen some training happening pre-episode, Dento's Maggyo and Satoshi's Kurumayu, Iris' Kibago, Doryuuzu and Mijumaru, Emonga and Kurumayu, Tsutarja, Pokabu, Zuruggu, and Pikachu. BW does most of its training off-screen, I'm pretty sure the writer's intentions aren't "Oh look, we've totally undertrained Satoshi's team!" the canon in the episodes says Satoshi has trained hard. Accepting this will help you enjoy this show more.

Last edited:
For me,
_I find other more neglected pokemon than Gamagaru in the BW series. Not as a whole but in a very specific part. Not showing Tsutarja (and Emonga) during Hikari's cameo. To hide that Meloetta is genderless, they only need to not Attract Meloetta.

-The abscene of Bel in the Junior Cup. That also hate me.

-Hikari needs new clothes. Specially because we'll know who she is with clothing. For information, Shirona's clothes are a variation of her original outfit (Her jacket is substituted for a shirt to evade contrast between stay in Sazanami (summer) with a jacket (winter), her trousers and shoes are the same than in DP.

-I think that the battles is better then Johto and Hoenn. In Hoenn, I don't remember any non 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2 doubles apart from Gym battles and the League, like in Isshu.

-I don't like the Junior Cup for a reason: Because isn't a interaction between the main cast, the participant of the arc and the rivals. The other two tournaments have many chemistry between the characters.

-I think that the abscene of Team Plasma don't hurt Satoshi's character in any way. The Gym battles aren't that bad in Isshu and if it is, the 2-partner isn't a excuse.

-I don't mind showing older pokemon in the Pokedex. Although are exceptions like Heigani and Buoysel in the recent episode. Also, expect Ash scanning 8 times very soon.

-I find more unacceptable that Gamagaru isn't Gamageroge yet than Mijamure and Tsutarja not evolving and Pokabu evolving late and only to his second stage.

-The movesets of Satoshi's pkemon. I think that aren't that bad. I'll find a rarity when Satoshi's Pokemon is having a varied moveset. And in BW exist cases of that. And I find good moveset in BW.

-I think that Waruvial is weaker than Kairyu. And I also think that Waruvial isn't his main powerhouse in BW, Pikachu is.

-I love showing that Contest exists in Isshu. Including without any known coordinator in this particular episode and with only BW chartacter.

-I find Nozomi a well developed rival. Not all of her rivals needs to be like Harley, Urara, Shinji for that matter.

-I hate comparison of characters. Shinji and Shootie are different characters. Also, Dent and Takeshi, Hikari and Haruka and speially Kasumi and Iris and more recently, Kotetsu and Masamune.

-And I find Iris run ending in the next episode if Iris defeats Shaga in a battle. At least for me.

Last edited:
-Tracey. A lot of things. People say he's bland but I disagree because I can see that he is an interesting character with his on quirks. The only reason he comes off as bland is because he didn't have enough time. And he shouldn't have been kicked off the main cast right after the Orange Islands. Instead he should have gone to Johto either with the other three or still in place of Brock. I would say more appearances are needed but quite a few are in favor of that now.
-I don't like Gary at all. Even with his transition.
-Cynthia is overused and didn't deserve all the focus she got. I wouldn't mind at all if she never appeared again.
-Stephan's the best friendly rival Ash has ever had.
-I love Piplup and don't like Oshawott. On the topic of Piplup, I'm so glad they didn't make him evolve and made him into a walking Pokemon.
-The TPCi dub is superior over the 4Kids dub.
-I like that Ash never ages but I don't like that they reset his brain in BW (latter not being an unpopular opinion)
-Ash shouldn't bring back all his old Pokemon just to beat up new rivals. With how the writing's done they would probably be forced to lose somehow so there's no point. I like his teams getting reset with each series. I do like if he uses them as reserves for leagues though.
-I still think the first "season" of BW is better than the majority of all the other series.
-Paul is not the abusive monster the fans make him out to be (this one might be dated) On the subject of Paul, he's the best competitive rival Ash has had.
-I don't care that Tobias won the league with Legends and I'm actually glad they finally broke the "legendary taboo" with him having legends.
-Misty, although I love her, had an acceptable amount of time spent on the main cast. I don't think she needs to part of the main cast anymore.
-Togepi did not ruin Misty's character.
-The Club Tournaments were awesome and definitely not "a waste of time".
-I'm not impressed by Iris' Dragonite and its "badass-ness". They overdo it and it makes it a very boring Pokemon.
-Charizard is not Ash's best Pokemon.
-Eeveelutions and the Riolu line are overused among important characters. Well I was okay with the Eeveelutions up until I found out about Virgil. That's just overkill now.

That's about all I can think of :D Enjoy the long wall of text.

I wish they'd brought Keniyan in the junior cup.

Personally, Keniyan is a really cute character who's got good battle strategies using a Sawk. He should appear more often.

I have an opinion about Masoami being kept as a league rival over Virgil. If they wanted to promote Eevee evolutions, then they could have given him one or two throughout the league.

Last edited:
The more I look at Georgia, the more I think she's a cute, well-made character. Sure, she rages a lot, can't take a loss, and is always seemingly picking on Iris, but I think she's pretty creative in terms of character

Hmm I guess, although she reminds me of Gary Oak from Kanto really. The same childish rivalry.

-Cynthia is overused and didn't deserve all the focus she got. I wouldn't mind at all if she never appeared again.

I totally agree.

I think the Sinnoh league was very overrated, with the only good matches being Paul and to a lesser extent Tobias. Nando and Barry battles were crap.

I also can't believe those writers teased us with the return of Glalie and Muk and we don't even get to see them battle at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the Paul vs. Barry match was saved by the Hitmonlee and Ursaring portion of the fight, as was the Nando vs. Ash one's Kricketune and Heracross battle.

...I suppose that in itself could be an unpopular opinion, huh?

I think the Sinnoh league was very overrated, with the only good matches being Paul and to a lesser extent Tobias. Nando and Barry battles were crap.

I also can't believe those writers teased us with the return of Glalie and Muk and we don't even get to see them battle at all.

You forgot the Conway match that was really good. The Nando battle had that epic Heracross/Kricketune fight which made up for everything like ^ mentioned.

Only the Barry battle was really bad mainly due to its shitty animation (one of Shimura's worst perfomances imo. Stiff motions all the way through).

Gary should have been kept around for the worf effect. He would been great for it, big shot constantly getting his groove back but losing anyway and it would provide Ash's new opponents a good way to demonstrate their power

Here are some more:
-I liked when original trio was reunited in Johto. I was happy when Brock came back and series started strong with things going pretty good until GS ball got dropped. However imo Master Quest redeemed for all those fillers giving us lot of interesting mini arcs, development for characters and league worth of gold. I also enjoyed in interactions between Ash,Misty and Brock giving that touch of long time known friends with friendship growing stronger bringing humor and dynamic conversations, with their split still being most emotional out of all groups .

-i thought Zoey and Nando were interesting rivals. I liked mentor/rival relationship Zoey had with Dawn helping her on road of becoming top coordinator with both growing to respect each other having competitive rivalry going on. I also liked Nando self conceited attitude and versatility collecting both badges and ribbons which added whole new note to concept of rivals being obstacle to not only Dawn but Ash too.

-i donšt think Sinnoh league was best pokemon offered so far. Battle against Nando and Conway felt rushed to me and while i really liked battle against Paul last minute Tobias with army of legendary and extremely short battle took away from general atmosphere laving things on sore note for me. When i think about it i probably enjoyed more in Johto and Hoenn leagues. It had excellent closure to rivalry with Gary and battle between Blaziken and Charizard was epic. Same goes for Hoenn tournament with Ash coming far only with his AG team having excellent battles against Morrison, Katie and Tyson.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone here about the Sinnoh League, but I think that the Conway match was absolutely perfect, 10/10 best match of the saga.

Sometimes badly written new characters makes me realize older ones aren't that bad.

For example when DP was airing I liked Paul so much that it made me think Gary was a badly handled rival. But now in BW that we have Trip, it made me appreciate Gary a lot more and made me remember that I did indeed used to like him, no matter how rare his appearances are. I guess compared to Trip anyone would look good though.

Sometimes badly written new characters makes me realize older ones aren't that bad.

For example when DP was airing I liked Paul so much that it made me think Gary was a badly handled rival. But now in BW that we have Trip, it made me appreciate Gary a lot more and made me remember that I did indeed used to like him, no matter how rare his appearances are. I guess compared to Trip anyone would look good though.

Even burgundy with her 0% win record?

Yeah, burgundy would thrash Trip any day (as long as she didn't have a type advantage, heaven forbid)

I'm not sure if this is an unpopular option, but I prefer the Snubbull running gag during Johto much more than the Jigglypuff running gag. I don't know if I'd consider it funnier or either gag really funny to be honest, but I liked how the Snubbull gag didn't run itself into the ground and actually had a pretty satisfying conclusion, as opposed to just being dropped like with Jigglypuff's gag.

I know what you mean, in the same way that the Barry gag was better than the Morrison one

I think Ash's Kanto starters should have lasted the entire span of Johto. Misty would have gotten Totodile and Brock would have gotten Cyndaquil as a replacement for Vulpix. As for Chikorita I would have Ash with it too...as he had two grass types for most of Johto anyway.

Anyone notice that Johto began to suck as soon as Charizard and Squirtle left? I think its obvious what went wrong.

I think Ash's Kanto starters should have lasted the entire span of Johto. Misty would have gotten Totodile and Brock would have gotten Cyndaquil as a replacement for Vulpix. As for Chikorita I would have Ash with it too...as he had two grass types for most of Johto anyway.

Personally, I would have preferred it if Ash did start off his Johto journey with just Pikachu like he did in AG. It would have given his Johto Pokemon more screentime and it wouldn't have taken him so long to capture them. While Misty getting a Water starter might have sounded nice on paper, I still don't think that it would have gotten any significant larger amount of screentime than it did under Ash. Plus, I think that Totodile's personality fits more with Ash and I don't know if there was another Johto Water Pokemon that could have fit on his team really well. There were plenty of other Water types that could have fit with Misty, so I don't think she really needed Totodile to have another Johto Pokemon on her team. I like Brock, but considering what happened to Mudkip, I think it was a good thing that he didn't get Cyndaquil. It would just be in the background and rarely appear just like Vulpix. At least Cyndaquil got a decent amount of screentime through Ash's Gym battles. While the Johto starters weren't handled as well as they could have been, I still think that giving them all to Ash was fine and I don't think that they would have gotten any more screentime than if Misty and Brock got them.

The Fighting Misty said:
Anyone notice that Johto began to suck as soon as Charizard and Squirtle left? I think its obvious what went wrong.

I don't think that the Johto saga started to get really bad after they left, but I'm also one of the people who don't think that Johto was nearly as bad as the hype makes it out to be and it's a rather underrated saga. I liked the episode where Charizard left and Squritle's episode was okay at best for me. I think it would have gotten boring after awhile to see Ash using the same Kanto Pokemon in his Gym battles. Not to mention it would have made it difficult to promote the Johto Pokemon if Ash only had two on him for all of Johto. It made much more sense to give him the Johto starters marketing wise and so that he wouldn't just keep relying on Charizard, although the later kind of happened anyway at the end of Johto for better or for worse, and he would have to use new Pokemon. Giving him practically a clean slate for all of his new journeys at the start of every series has been one of the better choices the writers have made in my opinion.

Personally, I find Ash's Kanto starters extremely overrated. Except for Charizard, none of them have really impressed me battle wise and they don't really have interesting personalities. I don't dislike them, but I do find the hype around them to be a bit much.

Personally, I find Ash's Kanto starters extremely overrated. Except for Charizard, none of them have really impressed me battle wise and they don't really have interesting personalities. I don't dislike them, but I do find the hype around them to be a bit much.

Agreed. I was honestly never a huge fan of Ash's Kanto team. At their worst they were always watchable, though I've never understood what made them stand out as so special other than being "the first".

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom