• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DP163 - Infernape

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps Torterra and Togekiss are also right around the corner if we're getting Infernape so early in the new opening's episodes.

I would have preferred Grotle to evolve before Monferno though.

The descreption says: Runaway Monferno! !
Paul has saved the pinch of Ash Ketchum! ?

Wow epic awesomness Ash fire little Pokemon is evolving to its third form. Can't wait for this one.

finally. Ever since Ash released Primeape (more like stupidly gave him away), i have been waiting for him to get a strong fighting type and now its going to happen. I am very glad its going to happen soon.

Oh finally! A new title!

I was hoping Moukazaru would stay as it is (it's a cute little monkey!), but I don't mind the evolution much either.

Oh finally! A new title!

I was hoping Moukazaru would stay as it is (it's a cute little monkey!), but I don't mind the evolution much either.

As much as I hate to say it, but the new D/P opening kinda spoiled Monferno's evolution into Infernape.

*braces himself for being wrong*

I wonder if what's gonna trigger Chimchar's Blaze this time. Up to this point, it's always involved pretty horrible things, like being nearly killed by Zangoose, or being forced to look at Paul's ugly mug.

Truth be told, I don't mind that the Monferno stage hasn't gotten as much screen time as the Chimchar stage did, or the Infernape stage will. Not that Monferno isn't awesome, it's just that the other stages are cooler in my opinion.

So Monferno is another rushed evolution, much like Charmeleon and Piloswine, but to a lesser extent. Why did the writers keep Chimchar in its first form for so long, yet rush through Monferno? Wouldn't it have been better if got Monferno earlier so we could enjoy its second stage?

Probably because of the way the gym battles went this series... I mean the sixth and seventh gyms were gyms where the type is weak to fire and fighting moves... so the writers probably didn't want to make things too easy for Ash and give too much focus to this one pokemon on Ash's team... Plus, before that Buizel had received focus in the third and fourth gym so they couldn't rely on him again in the fifth and sixth gyms (hence his early exit in both)... Plus, as far as design goes, the middle form of the cimchar evolutionnary line is probably the least marketable... as Monferno doesn't have the cute factor of Chimchar and the kcikass factor of Infernape... he's in between... Also, contrarily to grotle, Chimchar's evolution wasn't detrimental to him... Grotle had to adjust, struggle, so that makes for interesting storylines, while Monferno just got stronger and gained mach punch, not really a whole lot left to do with the character but evolve it... Plus, during the summer camp arc, somebody was training a Monferno... so the pokemon itself (not Ash's) got some huge focus during that episode... Finally, remember that Chimchar was with Paul for the first 52 episodes of the Dp series so it took 80 episodes to evolve under Ash's care, which is still less than turtig (96 episodes)...

I'm honestly disappointed its evolving again so soon. I would have liked to see Monferno in Sunyshore and save Infernape for the start of the league

I disagree, not seeing Monferno in a gym battle doesn't really bother me... plus keeping the Infernape evolution for the league would have been bad... Infernape deserves to have an entire episode dedicated to his evolution an not just at the last minute in a league match... Plus, if the writers saved it for the league, they probably would have made it evolve against Paul

The pacing of evolutions in DP has really bothered me.

Now let's see

DP13 : Ash's Starly evolves
DP14 : Brock's bonsly evolves
DP60 : Dawn's Aipom evolves
DP85 : Ash's Gligar evolves
DP100 : Ash's Grotle evolves
DP104 : Dawn's Swinub evolves
DP106 : Dawn's Piloswine evolves
DP118 : Ash's Staravia evolves
DP132 : Ash's Chimchar evolves
DP163 : Ash's Monferno evolves

That's just the episodes where a pokemon belonging to the main cast evolves... I'm not counting eggs hatching, trades and TR's pokemon evolving (well yanma)... As far as pacing goes, the writers are actually pacing the evolution pretty well... So, actually, the evolutions are somewhat evenly spaced and, while true that some forms got more focus, but as I said above... what are you really gonna do with Piloswine and Monferno (see above)

And as for the number of Monferno episodes...

DP132, DP133, DP141 (flashback), DP145, DP147, DP153, DP158, DP160 and DP163... so 8-9 episodes before it evolves... a little short but it doesn't feel super rushed like say Charmeleon was...

So, in short, Monferno evolution doesn't really feel rushed and I'm glad to finally see Infernape

DP132, DP133, DP141 (flashback), DP145, DP147, DP153, DP158, DP160 and DP163... so 8-9 episodes before it evolves... a little short but it doesn't feel super rushed like say Charmeleon was...

That's kind of the problem with Monferno, after it evolved the writers waited until DP145 before it was shown again (in person). So that's more than 10 episodes without Monferno, and that's more than 2 months.

And the only real battle it has under its belt is the tag battle. Not sure I count Electabuzz because it wasn't fighting at full strength. So the lack of battles is troubling.

Of course on the other hand I'm more excited that he's getting Infernape really soon. It's just that Monferno got a little cheated with battles. Not compared to another Pokemon though but that's besides the point.

So yeah disappointing that its evolving in such short screen time. But to be fair it has been around for 30 episodes even if Monferno isn't seen that often. It's not rushed it's more like not enough justification for it to evolve this early.

But oh well, now we have Infernape 'long' before the league, so now it can get some decent screen time, if they decide to boot it off the team after the Sinnoh League.

I would laugh if DP164 involved Torterra or even the Pokemon Dawn's going to eventually get.

It breaks my heart seeing Monferno evolve before Buizel.

On the other hand, I hope Grotle evolves within a few episodes as well. This would make it more likely that they WILL update the opening for Gible/Buizel evolutions.

It breaks my heart seeing Monferno evolve before Buizel.
Confirmed: Infernape to learn Brick Break

On the other hand, I hope Grotle evolves within a few episodes as well. This would make it more likely that they WILL update the opening for Gible/Buizel evolutions.
I've talked about this before, but showing off Infernape and Torterra in the open was a good way of illustrating spoilers right off the bat, the kind of stuff they wanted to get out the door without any hidden meaning (like updating the animation in a similar fashion to other openings).

And if you take into account that this opening could very well last us till the end of D&P series in Sinnoh, IF Buizel or Gible were to get an evolution, it probably wouldn't be till way waaay down the line. Like, after the League type stuff.

Because if they were going to do it any time soon, why not just put the spoilers in there right at the start, y'know?

^

Better late than never, that's how I see it.

I seriously can't see Ash having a tiny Gible in the league.

I can see Gible getting an evolution, but Buizel don't need to have an evolution when he's already shown to be a really strong pokemon and V Faction, don't go making a fact out of it by saying that Buizel its going to evolve when you don't even no.

I was right about the writers rushing Monferno to evolve into a Infernape which its really good and i'm really glad about it, i also don't see how Monferno evolving before Buizel means that it breaks someones heart , because Buizel don't even have a reason to evolve he's already shown to be really strong as he its and i don't see why some of you guys think he's going to evolve or need to, this crap need to stop.

I can see Gible getting an evolution, but Buizel don't need to have an evolution when he's already shown to be a really strong pokemon and V Faction, don't go making a fact out of it by saying that Buizel its going to evolve when you don't even no.

I was right about the writers rushing Monferno to evolve into a Infernape which its really good and i'm really glad about it, i also don't see how Monferno evolving before Buizel means that it breaks someones heart , because Buizel don't even have a reason to evolve he's already shown to be really strong as he its and i don't see why some of you guys think he's going to evolve or need to, this crap need to stop.

Writers, if only we knew what they're writing and thinking of right now.

Yeah, it is possible some evo's were hidden. I do think Gible will evolve once before the league, but its kept a secret for now.

As for Buizel, meh, who knows at this point.

I don't know about Gible, I always had the feeling it wouldn't evolve before the league and would stay a Gible... If it were to evolve, I would have Snorunt flashbacks and that would be a rushed evolution (Ash catches it and ten episodes later it evolves)... plus Gible is currently a comedic genius... Gible is similar to Chimchar in a lot of way, but mostly because there wouldn't be a lot to do from a writers standpoint with their middle form. I see Gible evolving once right after the league and and once right before the end of the filler saga (E4 or BF)

As for Buizel... Beating his evolved form + Learning attack of a different type than his own + having an evolved form whose design is less interesting than his unevolved form = pikachu syndrome... It's not evolving... ever...

If there's any secret evolutions in the openning, they will come from Ash's reserves like a croconaw or quilava...

if all of Ash's pokemon evolved, then it would become boring. They cant have too many evolutions. Considering that before Sinnoh, Ash had 4 pokemon that had three stages and reached their final forms. (Charizard, Pidgeot, Sceptile and Butterfree). And now he already has two this generation. Buizel seems fine as it is.

Gible may evolve once, but it will probably take a long time to evolve it into Garchomp, it it will ever reach its final stage. It would be very stupid of the writers to evolve it into Garchomp quickly.

I have to agree with Scott that we should have seen a little more from Monferno in its current form... but I'm still excited for the evolution and can't wait for this episode! I wonder if that means 164-165 will be Torterra and Togekiss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom