• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Gen 4?

Aside for things needed for transferring, not really. As others have said, the speed is really irritating. Not to mention the graphics, more so in DPP than HGSS. I'm normally not one to care about graphics (Heck, I can pretty easily go back to GEN I and not care about graphics), but since they use the same hardware that BW uses, they don't really have the same excuse that the older games do. The houses to me look so... weird and sort of ugly to me. xD Not to mention, in battle, the Pokemon just seem... dead, to put it bluntly. xD DP had some of my least favorite Pokemon sprites ever. Yes, RBG looked really deformed, but they had personality in them. I liked both GSC's and RSE/FRLG's shading style (Crystal had some awesome animations, too) and BW is fully animated. DP's just doesn't stand out. Although there were some tracks I really liked, DP has my least favorite music overall, too, for the main games. So in short: Currently, no. After playing Gen V, Gen IV just represents to me what could've been Gen V, but just wasn't. I still play and love Gen III to death, though. :D

... I think I will play Gen IV a lot tomorrow, though, just for the sake of it. For the 4th anniversary of DP being released in English. :)

I only JUST played Pearl and SoulSilver this past month!!! (Haven't played the other gen 4 games yet). I stopped playing the games after Gen 3 and only just got back into them.

Pearl didn't really do it for me and I doubt i'll play it again. I assume Diamond's going to be the same. Since SO many people love platinum i'm hoping that it won't be a letdown and if its not i'll still play it. I'm only up to Sabrina on SoulSilver, but I definitely plan to keep playing it.

Honestly so far Gen 5's a letdown for me. I've only played White and i'm making my way to the Elite 4 now. Maybe the post League material will sway my opinion. Either way i'll post my opinion of Gen 5 in the thread within the week.

LOL, if you still have the games why not play them? Seems like Gen 5 isn't THAT much better than 4.

LOL, if you still have the games why not play them? Seems like Gen 5 isn't THAT much better than 4.
Gen V is new, and everyone will therefore play it.

Wait till grey comes out, they will treat BW like DP now. After all, there were DP fanboys in 07, as it had lots of hype (and even it's own skin).

^ Yeah, I pretty much have to agree on that. xD Emerald made some very nice changes to Hoenn, but I can live without them. Platinum improved A LOT over Sinnoh in DP that it's kind of hard to go back to them. Namely the SURFING. (Oh god, if you combined Hoenn's massive water with DP's surfing speed I would probably hate Hoenn forever.) If I would go back to Gen 4, it'd probably be for Platinum.

Lately I only play White. But I'm keeping all of gen 4 to play in the future if I get bored. None of my Gen 1 or 2 games work anymore, and I hate the gen 3 games.

Since Gen V is a big disappointment for me, I will still be playing the Gen IV games quite a bit.
Same here. I got my White a month ago or so and just played until i finished the game. Now i play on Platinum, i've over 400 game hours on it and like it waaay more than gen V.

I still have my previous generation games and still use them. I have recently changed the battery on Silver and I'm playing through the stories of Blue, Crystal and Emerald and battling in the Battle Frontier in Platinum and Soul Silver.

I haven't touched SoulSilver in a while but I'll probably play through it again when I'm completely finished with White.

My poor Diamond game hasn't been touched in a year. When you play a game like White, it's hard to go back to older games (for me, anyway).

I would, (after all, I went back to Platinum as soon as I finished SoulSilver), but I decided to transfer all my Pokemon to Black and train them there instead. I am thinking of playing through SoulSilver again, though.

Wait till grey comes out, they will treat BW like DP now. After all, there were DP fanboys in 07, as it had lots of hype (and even it's own skin).
Except Black and White don't play like complete and utter shit, as Diamond/Pearl did. With that alone, it's already a given that at least people with some brain won't say Gray is so much better than Black/White.

In fact, unless they make a significant shake-up of the already excellent plot of Black/White, I'm actually considering going back to my old ways of staying with my pair Version and not bothering with the 3rd Version, though I probably will get it anyway for the fun of it and because I can.

Still, unlike 4th Gen, where it was a necessity to get Platinum to enjoy at least a much more playable iteration of Sinnoh, it's not such in this Generation. At all. I would happily stay with White, which I can't say for Diamond...

I still play HG/SS a few times, just for the mini-games through. I do my competitive stuff in B/W. The Sinnoh games just bore me now, and I don't play any of the Gameboy games anymore.

Still play Soul Silver, plus I have my Platinum version chilling. I'm keeping Platinum so I can transfer, same with SS, but I'll still keep SS.

Well yeah, but that`s why you EV train first, then you use the Rare Candies, works every time. I can`t do it on White though, as I have no way of updating my AR to work with it, another use for Gen 4 then, I guess.

I have to admit, I never EV train. My strategy is attack like crazy and hope I win.

Not lately. Been playing LeafGreen more since I pretty much did all I could White.

That dosen't mean I'm totally done with that generation of games.
I might restart Platinum/SoulSilver at some point, but that is going to be hard, because than that would mean parting with Pokemon that I worked so hard to obtain and raise. So, it still might be a long while yet.

I tried to play my HeartGold yesterday...almost fell asleep b'cuz the battles were so slow.

I'm still gonna play it, a man needs his nostalgia....

I played Platinum version last week... this is my first Sinnoh game, keep that in mind. Having played Black version BEFORE it I found Platinum to be obscenely slow - battling, talking, everything!

But it was still fun in the end. I wound up with a horribly overleveled Golduck because none of my other pokemon could ever do anything to Cyrus or his admins any of the times I battled them... Golduck and I are buds now :)

I never liked the duck before, but it was certainly the most useful thing I caught. Torterra... an absolute nightmare to level up until Sunyshore came along. Drifblim... well it either wins easily or loses badly but I guess it was okay except for the massive amounts of experience needed once it gets to higher levels. Toxicroak... probably my #2 player and it became more and more useful as time went on - Croagunk is so tough to train! And I had an Absol but he didn't really do much...

So the team of Karpi and Golduck triumphed over the 8 gyms of Sinnoh and Team Galactic!

Oh, and there were several of the puzzles which I am apparently too stupid to figure out...

Candice's gym: I slid around for quite a while wondering what to do but once I finally got started smashing some of the important snowballs I made it through

Distortion World: mostly because I panicked and thought I had to fill all 9 slots with rocks and couldn't figure out that I only needed to fill the holes with the lake trio next to them.

Volkner's gym: I had no clue how to get through the last spinny part and didn't realize you had to backtrack to flip a switch.

Honestly, how do they expect little kids to figure these things out?? It was kind of fun to have to do though.

Oh, and it annoyed me when you have to face Cyrus the last time and Cynthia, the STRONGEST TRAINER IN SINNOH, is standing RIGHT NEXT TO YOU and does NOTHING about it! That was definitely the closest battle I've ever had...

So overall: good storyline, good golduck, good battles.

I approve!

I love Gen4.
It is not better than Gen5 or Gen3, but it is still fun to play.

So I plan to replay it for a long time.

I still have some things in there I want to ev train and it's easier to do it with the radar, so yes. Also I'm still occasionally chaining for shinies but no luck in those games since just before White came out.

But it is kind of hard. The text is so slow. ._.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom