• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

How will Pokemon X & Y impact the Anime? - UPDATE: Begins October!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That being said, if they didn't want to de-age Hilda and Rosa for the anime, it's unlikely they'll do so for XY's girl, though that's assuming they avoided using the BW girls for that reason and not just because they felt like using Iris.
Pretty sure Iris and Cilan just got used because they fit the criteria of traveling companions for Ash. They're the only children Gym Leaders in BW pretty much and Cilan is the main member in-game, he introduces the player to the Gym. Lyra, Dawn and May all look significantly younger than Hilda. I imagine blondie won't get used simply because of her age, shame because I really like her design.

It would be interesting if instead of de-aging the female protagonist or using a different female game character, they made her into the first female mentor of the group and used another male character as the obligatory second 10 year old of the group.

On the other hand that would mean the only female on the main cast would be in a passive role, but I guess they could make up for it with a female main rival or something or adapting the mentor role to be more active. It's a possibility anyway.

I hoping Ash's traveling companions will be both the male and female player characters of X & Y,The three of them having the same goal to compete in the Kalos league, the three travel together building chemistry until they reach Lumiose City where they'll split up with each episode focusing on their individual adventures and gym battles(like in Pokemon adventures) with the group only meeting up and traveling together on certain occasion such as tournaments and confrontations with villainous teams to keep the chemistry going as well as serve a reason for why the group are together during movie periods

This is the perfect way to keep from de-aging the XY characters and for the writers to test both Ash traveling alone and regular episode without Ash as the main character.

That being said, if they didn't want to de-age Hilda and Rosa for the anime, it's unlikely they'll do so for XY's girl, though that's assuming they avoided using the BW girls for that reason and not just because they felt like using Iris.
Pretty sure Iris and Cilan just got used because they fit the criteria of traveling companions for Ash. They're the only children Gym Leaders in BW pretty much and Cilan is the main member in-game, he introduces the player to the Gym. Lyra, Dawn and May all look significantly younger than Hilda. I imagine blondie won't get used simply because of her age, shame because I really like her design.

I get that feeling too that xy girl won't be used. I have a feeling if there are some kid or teen gym leaders, they will prob be used as traveling companions.

So are all the other new characters also going to look taller due to this allegedly new style?

Possibly, even though I think that your question was sarcasm. I'm not even sure if they're suppose to be as tall as the graph you brought up depicted at this point.

Silktree said:
Bianca wasn't de-aged; if anything, she looked taller in the anime than I would have expected.

I never said that Bianca was de-aged. I said that she was still used in the anime, despite being around the same age as the playable characters from B/W. If they were willing to do that without even de-aging her, then I don't see the problem with the female trainer, especially when she really doesn't seem that old to me at all.

Silktree said:
There was a sidequest in the Black and White games. It didn't involve any form of battling, but neither did the in-game Contests and yet the writers made them work. Judging from the Marcatus episode, I think that the anime Musicals could have easily been complemented by Rotation and/or Triple Battles had the writers put their minds to it. Whatever the writers' problem was with the post-Contest sidequests, there is no guarantee that they will want to adapt the next sidequest.

Perhaps I should have rephrased my earlier statement then. If there is a side-quest in the games that the could adapt into the anime as a sidequest, then they could use the female trainer to participate in said sidequest. I don't know if they could have combined Musicals with Rotation and/or Triple battles. Having a total of six Pokemon out at once would be tricky to handle and I think something like Rotation battles fits more with the games than it would in the anime. Plus, neither Musicals or those new kinds of battles had much focus in the games, even compared to the R/S Contests, and I think that with BW, they were more interested in getting a back to basics vibe, in a sense at least, with having Ash traveling with two characters who are Gym Leaders in the video games to match with that similar vibe from the then new game. Musicals were basically a less interactive version of the appeal round in Contests and there wasn't enough room to really incorporate a battle phase like with Contests, which at least included Pokemon's attacks instead of just dressing them up. Rotation and Triple Battles were barely featured in B/W too. I do hope that whatever sidequest they do include in X/Y has room for them to develop it into a battle driven goal for the female trainer.

YamiDenryuu said:
Personally, I'd like to see them do something completely new for the companions- either base them off different sorts of characters than usual or go for completely original characters. Just 'cause.

That would be kind of interesting and surprising. I'm not sure if they'll go that route. If they don't have the female trainer in the group, I think I'd rather see them use NPC who are not Gym Leaders. I'm not sure how that would work, but I think that would be more interesting to see than Ash traveling with more Gym Leader characters from the games again.

Macromaster said:
I hoping Ash's traveling companions will be both the male and female player characters of X & Y,The three of them having the same goal to compete in the Kalos league, the three travel together building chemistry until they reach Lumiose City where they'll split up with each episode focusing on their individual adventures and gym battles(like in Pokemon adventures) with the group only meeting up and traveling together on certain occasion such as tournaments and confrontations with villainous teams to keep the chemistry going as well as serve a reason for why the group are together during movie periods

This is the perfect way to keep from de-aging the XY characters and for the writers to test both Ash traveling alone and regular episode without Ash as the main character.

If DP and BW are any indications, Ash will probably get the same outfit, or something very similar to it, that the male trainer has, so I wouldn't expect him to show up outside of maybe a movie cameo. The idea of an episode that doesn't have Ash appear sounds interesting, but I doubt that they'd do that and they'd probably prefer to have a main traveling group like they've done with previous series. I also still don't really see the need to de-age at least the female trainer when she doesn't look that old to me at all, but I'm apparently one of the few people who think that she would work fine. If anything, Hilda looked slightly older to me than this new female trainer does and I don't think Hilda's age was why she wasn't in BW's cast either.

I hope Ash's gen 6 companions aren't gym leaders, Ash seems to be an inexperienced trainer when he doesn't have a game character like May and Dawn with him.

All this talk about ages make me dread even more how they may handle Ash's... please keep progression writers. As for the new PCs, regardless of height they look about as old as Hilda/Hilbert does which should be around 15-16, and 14 at the least. Cheren stated in-game in the english version of the original BW games that he knew Bianca for 10 years already during the beginning of the game, so that right there made them all much older than the previous characters.

What kind of bearing this actually has on the anime though I don't know, as their known to screw up the age system anyways. I'd still much rather they used the older female than another Gym leader, and I'm still convinced that the only reason they used Iris/Cilian to begin with was as a callback to the original Kanto anime.

As for the possible Fairy thing, if they want to promote a new typing they can simply have the new girl or Ash catch one, they don't really have to go out of their way for it. Even just having Ash or the new girl form a connection with Xerneas like Ash did with Ho-oh in the original anime would be enough. I think I'd honestly rather have it be plot based anyways than centered around one character's entire focus like Iris & her dragons, leaves things more open to me.

I hope Ash's gen 6 companions aren't gym leaders, Ash seems to be an inexperienced trainer when he doesn't have a game character like May and Dawn with him.

I agree here. BW had it all backwards, Trip was a newbie rival and Iris/Cilan were relatively experienced. Meanwhile in DP Paul had as much experience as Ash and Dawn was the newbie.

The blonde girl trainer looks like she would be a Dawn clone if they use her. Same hair, skirt and girly appearance.
10 year old (Although it's look 12 to me) ==/== 14-15 years' old (who could be considered of a adult?). Blonde hair ==/== Dark blue hair. Average-short skirt ==/== very short skirt.

How did Dawn lack self esteem and confidence? Her losing steak aside Dawn was known for her confidence hence her catch phrase.

Anyway this girl has similar features to Dawn. Long hair, skirt, looks girly and feminine unlike the more tomboyish looking game leads like Hilda. And if they do the female co star route she'll probably be a beginning trainer.

Dawn was already too similar to Ash and to a lesser extent May, do we really need to see a third overly female lead?
I doin't agree.

This is Pokemon. When characters are designed to look a certain way, that's how they generally act. The Pokemon anime strives on stereotypes. I can't think of a single character design from either the games or anime where the personality of said character didn't match their design.
It's true that Dawn's design was created by GameFreak and that means a big part on his possible personality. But it doesn't make all the personality And less than she is something 2.0.

I looked at the calendar, " released in October" can mean October 31st, since that is a Thursday this year. How many episodes will the DA arc be?

It's possible, but I don't know if the games would be released so late into the month to the point where the new series doesn't start until the 31st.
THe games will be released on the 19th at the latest. Remember, worldwide release. The anime is expected to air before the 31st October (however, I wonder if DA lasts until the 24th...)

Prayer:

Stick to the games, stick to the games, for god's sake, STICK TO THE GAMES.

Plenty of good game characters/NPCs haven't been able to appear when they could've been better than pointless fillers.
Just look at how N alone had been a promotional hit in the games, yet they ignored him for years and squeezed him in when Unova was almost over. Yet, even THEN N in the anime was still successful due to his lasting popularity. Good game characters are always good options. Never leave them out to die when one would almost certainly guarantee successful promotion.Not quite true

X, Y will, hopefully, be an anime fully loyal to the game contents with a GOOD STORY BASE, making Ash PROGRESS NOT REGRESS, making use of the game characters, and hopefully, hopefully, have learned from their mistakes they have made all those friggin 15 years.
In Japan, more people turned on for watching the anime because of Japan (a character that I don't know what will have to do with B2W2) than N and Team Plasma ever did.

And yes, I don't think that Ash will be resetted for DA... or they are prbably getting problems. If after the reset of Ash (who combined with older things makes ratings drop) they do another just three years later.... this doesn't look good.
I keep getting the feeling the next girl is going to be a Dawn clone. Iris was too similar to Misty so they definitely won't do that again for another new girl in a row.
There won't be a Dawn clone. Honestly, I can't be sure because I aren't surprised by the anime writers. And not that said character will be a Dawn 2.0 (or May 3.0). There's one exceptions: if the real Dawn appears in BW142?, is the person that give Ash the motivation to go to Kalos and they decided to do with her what they have done with TR in a greater scale. (and no, the cameo as far as ratings say, was a full success).

You know what I mean. Yes their personalities are different but they also share a ton of similarities. It isn't just the coordinator or Gym thing either.

A lot of Dawn's general mannerisms and likes/dislikes were practically identical to things May did back in AG. Iris on the other hand has a lot of similarities with Misty. Yes they are different but everyone compared them constantly.
It's true that there are similarities, but I find any relationship between Misty's water type career than Iris' Dragon type career. There's a lot of differences. They have some similsrities with May/Dawn. But Dawn has a different personality than May (onme of them is girly girly, the other isn't a tomboy but isn't girly girly)

If the Fairy-type gym leader is a young girl, I'd wager that she will join Ash at the expense of the female player character, who looks even older than Hilda does. Promoting a new type would make more sense than Best Wishes focusing on Dragon ever did.
Yeah. This is the most probable things that the writers will do. I have the same feeling than you regarding the rumour.

It would be a funny coincidence, with Best Wishes focusing on Dragon types, if XY focused on Fairy type - especially since Fairy type is allegedly super effective against Dragon types. I guess we all know what it'd mean if the new girl got to battle Iris. :p
Don't be silly; Iris would still win due to being the Unova Champion.
Unless Ash ages 2 years (difficult but not impossible) doubtful.

The new female trainer doesn't look older than Hilda does. She looks a bit younger to me,
A height comparison of the male player characters clearly shows that the new characters are the oldest yet. See here:

View attachment 87399

but either way, it doesn't matter when they could just easily make her look slightly younger for the anime.
The difference would be very noticeable if they de-aged her to 10. She looks older than Brock and Cilan do.
Interesting point. And the male player characters really looks like a young adult (the female looks more like a teen).

She is not supposed to be tall as her male counterpart is, but she is supposed to be the same age. I could make a height comparison of the female player characters, which would show similar results. But I think that the point has been made.

She and the male trainer look around fourteen to me at most.
14? The boy is almost as tall as N is. 17 would be my assumption.
I think that the female character looks 15-16.

Personally, I'd like to see them do something completely new for the companions- either base them off different sorts of characters than usual or go for completely original characters. Just 'cause.
Doing Iris was a bad move for the writers. The main reason is because that character only promotes Pokemon White and she is the eight gym leader in this version. Cilan promotes well the Black and White games (although he has issues) but Iris. Remembers that this franchise is for kids... and not all kids find out the 8th gym leader in the games, rememeber.

It's obvious why they chose Iris. I remember when a writer said that it will be an original character, and I think that this writer doesn't know about the game origin of Iris in the games by then.

The reason why they chose Iris is only because she is a child like the previous girls and not a teen or older. THis was an error because Iris in the 8th gym leader in White (the least popular version, to be honest) what means that this characters doesn't promote the games.
Also, because the writers weren't prevented of sequels, B2W2 messed all the plans of the anime at that point.

The solutions to evade the issue with possible sequels are 1) putting characters that they will programmed to appear in the two versions, or 2) based the anime in anime-exclusive or older characters. (Ash-Cilan-OFemale; Ash-Iris-OMale; Ash-Dawn-OMale; Ash-OMale-OFemale...). They could be a solution to evade the case of Iris and Cilan in BW2.

I wanted to do a bit more quotes but I think that's more than enough.

Nymphia said:
It's obvious why they chose Iris. I remember when a writer said that it will be an original character, and I think that this writer doesn't know about the game origin of Iris in the games by then.

The reason why they chose Iris is only because she is a child like the previous girls and not a teen or older. THis was an error because Iris in the 8th gym leader in White (the least popular version, to be honest) what means that this characters doesn't promote the games.
Iris appears in both versions as early as Castelia City as part of the Plasma storyline. She and Drayden are the only characters that delve into Unova's mythology later in the story. Sadly, the anime didn't reflect that.

It'll be sad to see Iris go. She's actually my favorite female protagonist so far. She's got a hell of a lot more personality than May and Dawn who were pretty much interchangeable as far as I'm concerned. I like to look at Iris as a much more tolerable version of Misty. Admittedly as an African American who's been following this franchise since childhood it was also nice to see the creators add a bit of cultural diversity to the show. After all, Pokemon's a world-wide phenomenon.

Speaking of new girl can't say im looking forward to her and if i were to ask i would rather had her introduced as female rival for Ash. But this time proper one which will have exšeruence behind herself and potential to present threat on his journey through 6th generation.
I expected this to happen with Bianca but like most things in BW something which started as decent idea went down the drain quickly.

Not to mention seeing she is older than main girls usually are makes her fitting for such role not bringing imbalance in main cast, or at least that's what writers think it would do hesitating on including older female for change in cast which could be wise and knowledgeable for change.

That said far as main girl for X,Y saga goes i would much rather like if writers brought one of previous female companions back ding build up on their story, allowing to learn new things and go forward having already background, experience and established relationship with Ash and others(preferably Misty, but May, Dawn, Iris are all i would welcome happily as well). Because i do not see really any point on constantly adding new companions if all development and story writers started about them, experience they gained, pokemon etc is going to end up unfinished leaving cast and going way of previous characters ending forgotten and buried in past anyway.

Something which is expected to happen with new girl and boy in case Cilan gets boot too making it useless for me too look forward for them or care much when in half of growth they will end up as another wasted opportunity in favor of receiving rehash and same basic growth from zero . Imo pointless when there exist potential to do many interesting things with previous ones already having background and predisposition to receive sequel/more meaningful growth with story being developed to certain point to allow to advance forward and go through bigger challenges.

Unlike pokemon other shows which replace cast but don't do reboots keep older characters relevant/alive in some form bringing them back at some point in future even to main cast again to help advance story of new characters and get more growth themselves. Like Inazuma Eleven Go. But in this show once someone leaves he ends up forgotten and erased from face of existence leaving things untied and potential to do more end up wasted.

Ironically enough with such set up anime could be also more continuity based filled with stable cast and solid story increasing its quality, since there would exist familiar face and established friendship, story between Ash and companion which transfers to next region which could create environment for more cohesive storytelling. Something its not doable if we constantly gets new companions with no background starting from scratch replicating another "blank start"(restart) which extends to Ash as well.

But i expect another predictable cycle to happen in Kalos region much to my dismay which isn't productive and smart way in maintaining someone interest with new innovative ideas and different approach from time to time being desirable keep things fresh.

I couldn't really care what it looks like, I just hope that the writing is literally "leagues" above what Best Wishes was. Please return to the quality of writing that DP had, and if that isn't possible even AG level writing would be tolerable.

Way i see it if we combine way characters were developed and story was structured in DP with natural, flamboyant dynamic main cast in Original Series had along with certain dash of its unpredictability not following games so closely giving writers bigger liberty to mold anime according tom their taste would set up prerequisites for perfectly written series.

At least in my opinion.

Another thing I hope for is that they will have the female traveling companion this time. Other than the new girl being absolutely cute (sue me) I think female companions based on the in-game female choice are safer bets to go with than gym leaders are, and theres generally much more potential to do things with them since they are "blank characters" that can have many interpretations.

I don't really think there is difference to be honest. Both with game protagonist and gym leaders there exist equal amount of potential to take them in various directions. Depending on writers plans and in what direction they wish to take them starting out blank and open for any suggestions.

Whether we would have gym leader girl going on venture to reclaim her position after being demoted, ranking up to become elite member or something higher, changing profession becoming researcher, regular trainer, ranger etc.

Only difference is that with female protagonists from games they are predestined to receive more focus with their goals being more structured and focused upon, depending on whatever new quest they may have been given to do.

However at same time this also limits what writers could do with them since game quests has already set up in advance path someone needs to follow being known entire background and structure around which they revolve.

Compared to anime only dreams which derive from writer interpretation contain certain doze of unpredictability not being possible to predict outcome, thus allowing that such goals get taken in several directions depending on writer imagination, being able to do whatever they wish with character.

EDIT:
On side note i don't see nothing inherently wrong in getting another female character which is gym, leader in games or anime only creation. Nor there is no reason for me to believe that she can't receive well planned and plausible growth during her tenure in show.

I see people basing Iris handle in BW as indication in what way any new female lead is going to be treated which isn't "game protagonist", committing logical fallacy. Because outcome of one character doesn't determine in what way another is going to be treated. Iris case only shows how with type master goals which focus on scarce type like dragons isn't possible to make believable and consistent growth. Considering they don't have enough resources and stamina to create on going quest which could be treated like tangible storytelling.

Only possible way to do so with type master career is through water or maybe normal type, since they have wide pool of pokemon to choose from allowing to make versatile teams both for character and its adversaries, create chain of events through which they could grow forward stepping up as trainers and make them go through well planned progression.

As such reason why first time around this wasn't handled as well as it could've been comes from fact how Misty was in cast when writers were much less experienced just starting out, and due to lower quality of writing and writers themselves back than not being sure what they wanted anime to become her goal ended unexplored. Even so she still developed more than other sidekicks did.
And as we saw if Whirl Cup was template to go by when something more was decided to be done shows how its possible to have on going progression depending on how affluent pokemon and story as whole are, in other words having meat for such enterprise.

So in nutshell it doesn't matter to me if character is going to be protagonist or sidekick as long he receives sufficient amount of focus and valuable growth learning something during journey. Sometimes less is more and to me quality always had and always will take precedence over quantity.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the female and male players in the anime as feminine and flamboyant, because it would add a fresh breath of funniness to the show. Come on, you know James' feminine side multiplied and turned into a separate person would be funny.

With the games being released on October 12th, I guess that the new series will begin on the 17th. Best Wishes started five days after Black and White's release date, too.

Pokémon-Amie seems to be exactly like breeding in the anime, which certainly isn't the same thing as in-game breeding. It's ironic that this is happening three years after the writers made Brock switch to a different career as an excuse to replace him. Since Pokémon-Amie is essentially a mini-game, there may not be anything else mirroring Contests.

Last edited:
I can't wait for the introduction of Fairy type to be glossed over as if it always existed.

Is there a thread yet about how the dub is going to handle the worldwide release, or is that a topic for this thread as well?

I can't wait for the introduction of Fairy type to be glossed over as if it always existed.

Is there a thread yet about how the dub is going to handle the worldwide release, or is that a topic for this thread as well?

I think that there's at least two, but this is the only one I could find: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/gen-vi-dub-144799/

Discussion on the dub for the XY series can be taken there.

Um, why would they? I'm assuming the games will have an explanation for why the fairy type is only now known, which the anime will probably just use, or at least something similar. And if the games themselves gloss over the addition of this type... well, that's their problem, not the anime's. ._.

Since Pokemon-amie is providing something in the games that's already been in the anime to some degree, I don't expect it'll be seeing much attention, unless we get like a Pokemon Befriender who specialises in learning ways to get close to various Pokemon. ... Actually, I can see that happening. That might work.

Since Pokemon-amie is providing something in the games that's already been in the anime to some degree, I don't expect it'll be seeing much attention, unless we get like a Pokemon Befriender who specialises in learning ways to get close to various Pokemon. ... Actually, I can see that happening. That might work.
I'd rather that they not invent a new profession which is almost exactly the same as breeding. If they didn't mind introducing a second Coordinator, a second Breeder should be acceptable, especially now that they have more material to work with.

Um, why would they? I'm assuming the games will have an explanation for why the fairy type is only now known, which the anime will probably just use, or at least something similar. And if the games themselves gloss over the addition of this type... well, that's their problem, not the anime's. ._.

Isn't that basically a mix of what Cilan and Brock did? Cilan's connoisseur job finds the compatibility between Pokemon & Trainer. So basically the level of friendship/trust they share. Brock's breeder job was basically raising Pokemon and finding out better ways to get the job down, while also seeing what could effect getting a better outcome.

It would be too repetitive at this point to put another one of these guys as a co-protagonist.

It would be too repetitive at this point to put another one of these guys as a co-protagonist.

Pokemon clearly doesn't have a problem with being repetitive. I'm not sure if they'd actually use the cool new Pokemon-amie feature in the anime, but I doubt that they wouldn't try doing something like it just because it is repetitive after Brock and Cilan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom