• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Least favorite starter?

Least favorite starter?

• Bulbasaur

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Squirtle

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Charmander

Votes: 18 11.1%
  • Pikachu

Votes: 31 19.1%
  • Chikorita

Votes: 33 20.4%
  • Totodile

Votes: 12 7.4%
  • Cyndaquil

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Treecko

Votes: 10 6.2%
  • Mudkip

Votes: 13 8.0%
  • Torchic

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Turtwig

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • Piplup

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Chimchar

Votes: 37 22.8%
  • Snivy

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • Oshawott

Votes: 13 8.0%
  • Tepig

Votes: 48 29.6%

• Total voters

Dralcax

}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{
Reaction score
What's your least favorite starter? Although I like Pikachu (doesn't everyone?), he doesn't really cut it as a starter. Why? You thought it was hard to beat Brock with Charmander? Apparently, Gamefreak FORGOT that all Gen 1 Rock-types were Ground-types, so Pokemon Yellow had the hardest first gym of all time. And what could you use besides Pikachu at that point in the game? Pidgey? Rattata? Caterpie? Really?

Chikorita is my least favorite out of all the starters, because it's more of a supporter than an attacker. I prefer to use all the others for brute power, and Chikorita doesn't quite satisfy. I will admit, I still like Chikorita, though.

p.s. I reached 100 on my post count! Yay!

Im voiting Tepig becasue of its evolutions i like tepig but thoes evos are just horrible.

Tepig and Snivy are my two least favourite starters. Tepig is fine on its own but its line is what ruined the Pokemon for me. And I just don't like Snivy as it is, even with his line. They're both boring. Overall Gen. 5's starters were a huge letdown.

I never liked Turtwig. I know of its mythological origins, largely thanks to Bulbanews' "On the Origin of the Species," but it just looks terrible, in my opinion.

Im voiting Tepig becasue of its evolutions i like tepig but thoes evos are just horrible.
That's the same problem I have with both Tepig and Piplup. The first one is good, but the next two evolutions are just horrid for all the same reasons.

I really don't like Chikorita or its evolutions. They just don't flow well and I'd almost never use them. Tepig comes close after, partly because it evolves into a Fire/Fighting.

Out of all the starters, my least favorite is Turtwig. There was just something about it that I didn't like. Perhaps it was how it looked. In any case, that's why D&P is the only generation where I didn't choose a grass starter. (I ended up with Piplup)

Charmander (I love Charmeleon, but I hate Charizard. It is lame), Totodile (Both of its evolutions are fugly) and Turtwig (boring).
Also, I don't hate, but I don't really like any of the Hoenn starters. They are a bit boring. :|

My favorites are Snivy and Piplup. Hopefully Froakie and Chespin will be awesome enough to be my faves too :ksmile:

Chikorita was the worst for me. It was too much of a supporter to be of any real use. On top of that, it's typing and choice of attacks (or lack of) just made the role even more useless. It may have good defensive stats, but as a pure Grass-type, all those weaknesses made its defenses moot. It was just the worst of the worst. Squirtle and Totodile are next in line, though I favor them more in recent years, but still not by much.

Chimchar.
Choosing from fire starters (as it really is not my favourite type) and the fact I don´t like monkeys (strangely, I like the elemenal monkeys) resulted into Chimchar.

(But maybe it´s tie with Froakie)

What's your least favorite starter? Although I like Pikachu (doesn't everyone?), he doesn't really cut it as a starter. Why? You thought it was hard to beat Brock with Charmander? Apparently, Gamefreak FORGOT that all Gen 1 Rock-types were Ground-types, so Pokemon Yellow had the hardest first gym of all time. And what could you use besides Pikachu at that point in the game? Pidgey? Rattata? Caterpie? Really?

Mankey was available west of Viridian city, as well as the two Nidos (who both learned Double Kick at an early level back then.) They were placed there precisely so you wouldn't get utterly screwed by the first gym in Pokemon Yellow.

My least favorites are Charmander (overhyped, overexposed, overrated,) Chimchar (I hate spotlight stealing monkeys) and Pikachu (ugh. Effing electric rat. Overexposed, overhyped spotlight stealer that it is.)

I actually like Tepig and I love Chikorita and Turtwig.

I'm judging mostly on the way the Pokemon looks, Torchic was one I disliked, along with Johto starters - I'm a cat/mustelid person.

Last edited:
I'm judging mostly on the way the Pokemon looks, Torchic was one I disliked, along with Johto starters, As for Gen 6, I'm going to dislike Fennekin, I don't really like canines much - I'm a cat/mustelid person.

Thank 'god' I am not the only one who dislikes Johto starters.
I mean, Cyndaquil is a bit cute, but that is about it. The other two are boring and/or ugly (Totodile).

Quite honestly the only regions with really interesting starters were Kanto, Sinnoh and apparently the Generation VI region.

I am also a cat person btw.

I quite dislike Torchic, and its evolutions even more so. My favourites include all grass starters. Though I guess with the release of Gen VI the grass starter might not turn out to be my favourite for the first time. I prefer reptiles, I suppose.

I would have to go with Totodile and Mudkip. I've never really been a fan of any of the water starters.

As far as fulfilling the purpose of a starter is concerned, Pikachu. It has sub-par starts, a fairly shallow movepool, and doesn't let you evolve the bloody thing. Most starter Pokemon have fairly diverse movesets, and the two additional evolutions help them stay prominent throughout the game. Pikachu fails in both of these fields.

I should've voted for all three Generation IV starters, but I just chose the ugliest one of the three: Chimchar. I'm sorry, but I just cannot get into its or its line's designs. I like monkeys, but Chimchar just looks bad to me. :/ I think Turtwig and Piplup are ugly as well. The only starter out of all three lines that I can say I somewhat like is Empoleon. I also don't like Treecko, Snivy, and Oshawott (but its evolutions are okay).

As a Water-Type Starter loyalist I love Squirtle and its line, Totodile and its line (although I found Feraligatr the weakest), Mudkip and its line (my Swampert DarkWinner is legendary in my family!!), Piplup and its line (although I still dont get the benefit of Empoleon's Steel typing) and Oshawatt and its line (Samaurot just looks wiked!!). Froakie, however, had better get some serious improvements in its later evolutions cus im just not feeling it at all!! Barring the newest starters, I think I'd go with Treecko and its evolutionary line would have to be my worst. I still really like them, but I just never clicked with them like the rest!!

I voted for Tepig. I had always used fire starters and Tepig ruined it for me. I just couldn't bring myself to pick a Pokemon with such hideous evolutions. Chimchar would have ruined it for me first but I played White before Platinum, so I think Tepig will always be the target of my grudge even though it wasn't the only fire starter I passed up.

Charmander is my absolute favorite. He may not be the best, but he was my very first Pokemon in Red.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom