• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon you rather not evolve

Raichu needs more love.
Good man. :)

As for Scizor, I'm just not a fan of that thing. Ever since he was revealed as Scyther's evolution back in Generation II, I never liked him.
That is also my view exactly.

Same goes for Electabuzz, one of my favorite Electric types. Electivire's design just doesn't do it for me.
I don't particularly like Electabuzz (or its fiery counterpart, Magmar) or Elekid (and Magby), but I'm okay with Electivire and Magmortar.

Last edited:
Vigoroth is one. I love Vigoroth's design and really don't like Slaking. Truant also doesn't make it appealing to evolve it either. So I've just stuck with my Eviolite Vigoroth.

I always evolved all of my pokémon, no exceptions. The only time I came close to changing my mind was when I caught a Light Ball Pikachu..... I tried it out for a while but he was too frail... impossible to do anything serious with it :/

EDIT: I cannot believe I almost forgot (ok I did forget), but I prefer Rhydon to Rhyperior. Rhydon has always been one of my favourite pokémon, since day 1 and even though Gen IV is my favourite, and I am a big fan of Electivire and Magmortar, I really really do not like Rhyperior's design... I find Rhydon's simple but clear-cut look is far better and besides the differences in stats aren't sufficient to warrant evolving him regardless (unlike the Pikcahu vs Raichu argument)

Last edited:
I always do, even for the ones i dislike (Lickylicky) to fill the dex.
I have duplicates, though. I keep a Vigoroth and a Slaking, as well as a Jynx and a Smoochum. I got Electivire & Magmortar traded from PBR, so i bred them and when they evolve i'll keep the offspring as Magmar & Electabuzz, so i can keep both stages of evo. It really is a dex filling exercise, but i couldn't be heartless enough to release them afterwards. The completionist collector in me won't allow it.

I prefer to not evolve Grovyle. This is probably because I have a massive bias towards that form thanks to PMD, but it also just looks better. The design reminds me of a cross between a green anole and a freakin' velociraptor, with leaves instead of feathers on its body.

I wish I could like Dusknoir more (again, PMD bias), but it's far outclassed by Eviolite Dusclops. After using it in Triples, I really appreciate its bulkiness.

I like Scyther better than its evo. It's just a better design: an agile mantis-ninja-monster with freaking cleavers for arms! Besides, when it evolves, its BST doesn't even change; its speed just decreases in order to buff its defenses. Eviolite can take care of that without evolution.

I also don't normally let Pokemon like Smoochum, Tepig, Wynaut, or Glameow evolve into the abominations that are their final forms, unless it's for Dex reasons. I keep Torchic in its base form until it's close to the middle 30's.

I like Scyther better than its evo. It's just a better design: an agile mantis-ninja-monster with freaking cleavers for arms! Besides, when it evolves, its BST doesn't even change; its speed just decreases in order to buff its defenses. Eviolite can take care of that without evolution.
The fact that Scizor and Scyther have the same BST is an interesting conundrum: Scizor has only one weakness (4x Fire) and is eligible for Mega Evolution, plus STAB Bullet Punch to compensate for the lower Speed. Whereas Scyther has five weaknesses (including 4x Rock) but its defenses are otherwise not bad, and is eligible for Eviolite. I'd love to train a Scyther to be a tank just for the sake of it.

The fact that Scizor and Scyther have the same BST is an interesting conundrum: Scizor has only one weakness (4x Fire) and is eligible for Mega Evolution, plus STAB Bullet Punch to compensate for the lower Speed. Whereas Scyther has five weaknesses (including 4x Rock) but its defenses are otherwise not bad, and is eligible for Eviolite. I'd love to train a Scyther to be a tank just for the sake of it.

It's not a bad idea. A friend of mine tested that sort of thing out on Showdown, and the Scyther was able to survive some pretty strong attacks and still pile on the damage.

I don't evolve Dusclops into Dusknoir. Eviolite Dusclops is so much better.

Eh I like to make sure they're in their final, strongest form.

Torracat and Braixen are sleek and cool-looking, but Incineroar and Delphox are just disappointing. I also like Rhydon better than Rhyperior, as the latter has an unappealing colour scheme, tail shape and body structure.

I always evolve Pokemon that I use, but there are a number of Pokemon that range from me loving only their unevolved forms or just being in love with that one and not as much the others. Some examples for me would be Litwick, Fennekin, Phantump, Fletchling and Growlithe. (it's funny how almost all of these are Fire or evolve to be Fire)

Trying to make sense of this. For the past 7 generations I loved Teddiursa and would never consider evolving it into Ursaring; it doesn’t work for me as a two stage Pokémon.

But now that Ursaluna exists, I like all three stages! While Teddiursa’s still my favorite, I’m not as hesitant to evolve it into Ursaring as I was. What’s up with that?

Non-final stage Pokemon that can benefit from held items, like Pikachu with Light Ball or viable Eviolite users, if I can make it work with an Eviolite and I prefer it over the final form, I'll do it. I like having Torracat function like a faster Incineroar and it actually doesn't work too badly in battle either. With the Eviolite and max HP and Speed investment, it has decent utility with fast Fake Outs, Parting Shots, Will-O-Wisps, Snarls, and/or Knock Offs, I also put Overheat on there for a big red "do damage" button.

I like finding middle stage evolutions that have a higher stat in one area than their final evolution, such as Torracat's increased speed, then trying to capitalize on that higher stat to make the Pokemon work with an Eviolite in some weird way.

The only time I deliberately prevented a Pokémon from evolving, except for Eviolite purposes (and even then just for Doublade and formerly fully evolved mons), is Magneton in Gen 6. And that's only because the +10 Speed difference allows a fully invested Choice Scarf Timid Magneton to outspeed that bastard Talonflame. Magnezone with the same setup fall just short.

Lileep, I really don't like Cradily as much. The same goes for Cubone but I usually do evolve it when I have one on my team. I did also play through SwSh with my starter as a Grookey the entire time and I'm tempted to replay a Pokemon hack with a Rattata starter where I keep my starter unevolved to make it more interesting.

Sometimes I'll also keep my Pokemon unevolved for longer if they don't learn any new moves when they evolve so they'll level up faster.

I typically want to have the evolved version of every Pokémon on hand, but sometimes I prefer having unevolved versions of certain Pokémon in addition to those. These ones are:
  • Cubchoo
  • Numel
  • Porygon
  • Porygon2
  • Eevee
  • Pikachu
  • Glameow
  • Stunky
  • Piplup
  • Prinplup
  • Litten
  • Torracat
  • Popplio
  • Brionne
  • Quilava
  • Mudkip
  • Marshtomp
  • Lombre
  • Buizel
  • Oshawott
  • Dewott
  • Zorua
  • Vulpix
  • Herdier
  • Tepig
  • Fennekin
  • Braixen
  • Combusken
  • Bidoof
  • Meowth
  • Gabite
  • Bergmite
  • Inkay
  • Skiddo
  • Skwovet
  • Rockruff
  • Zigzagoon
  • Galarian Linoone
  • Mudbray
  • Elgyem
  • Houndour
  • Ducklett
  • Teddiursa
  • Ursaring (if Ursaluna is present)
  • Rattata
  • Patrat
  • Pikipek
  • Anorith
  • Omanyte
  • Scorbunny
  • Raboot
  • Riolu
  • Golett
  • Nickit
  • Wooloo
  • Wimpod
  • Vibrava
  • Chinchou
  • Pichu
  • Blitzle
  • Kadabra
  • Munchlax
  • Growlithe
  • Ponyta
  • Yamper
  • Dewpider
  • Cufant
  • Rhydon
  • Corvisquire
  • Drilbur
  • Nincada
  • Wooper
  • Sealeo
  • Loudred
  • Wingull
  • Luxio
  • Nidorina
  • Stantler (if Wyrdeer is present)
  • Sneasel
  • Skorupi
  • Jigglypuff
  • Slowpoke
  • Onix
  • Piloswine
  • Dusclops
  • Hippopotas
  • Pidove
  • Tranquill
  • Deerling
  • Fletchinder
  • Pancham
  • Stufful
  • Clobbopus
  • Dreepy
  • Drakloak

Last edited:
  • Golett
  • Vibrava
Ugh, I sometimes have to convince myself to evolve my Golett. They're just too adorable and as much as I love Golurk, I kinda want to keep them small and cute. They're like super cute little kids or something. I love 'em!

After finally catching not one but two shiny Vibrava, I can keep one unevolved and the other can be a Flygon. I was honestly thinking about keeping any shiny Vibrava I caught as unevolved, but now I don't have to worry about that.

Top two are probably Frogadier and Wooper. Nowadays I always pick Froakie with no hesitation, but as soon as it evolves once I glue an Everstone to its head — and I do love Quagsire, but if mine starts out as a Wooper, it takes all my strength to let the little guy evolve. It's just so cute when it's small :cry:

Some other mons that I'd keep NFE forever if I could are Shelgon, Silcoon, Cascoon, Charmander, Rolycoly/Carkol, Trapinch/Vibrava, Honedge/Doublade, Flaaffy, Yamask, Omanyte, Eevee, Dusclops, Pupitar, Munchlax, Clobbopus, aaand Swadloon.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom