• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Things that should go away/be changed

...Since freaking when? I'm sorry, that's the most ridiculous statement I've heard on here in a while. It would be far from the first time that a myth talked about in a game turned out to be fictional within that game's world. You can't ignore the fact that the games never confirm anything beyond what I stated above.

It's a trope that All Myths Are True; that's what Ryuu was saying.

Some of what i think should be changed:
Wi-fi. Ditch the FCs and use nicknames, make the GTS Hack resistent (more then it is now), and add matchmaking, so we dont need to go into IRC chat rooms asking for battles. Also make the GTS so you can ask for pokemon that arent in your pokedex. And make it so it doesnt lag as much.

Battle System. Compared to gen III, it was slow. It should be simple and fast like gen III.

I have to point out that none of the games ever confirm that any of the Sinnoh legendaries actually created time, space, the universe, etc. Its the belief of many people in Sinnoh, certainly, and I think it was cool that we got to see a region that has more obvious beliefs like that. But all we have confirmed is that Dialga and Palkia can manipulate time and space to a certain degree, and that Arceus can create Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina. Because all the game sources are so diligent in qualifying their descriptions with "it is said that", "in mythology", etc., I've always thought that they're just really powerful Pokémon that ancient people took to be gods, and that belief persisted to the present day in Sinnoh.

This. To me, Legendaries like that are just the uber-rare ones that are talked about quite alot in the ancient myths and legends of the Pokemon World. It actually might explain why TG's plans to make a new universe with Palkia/Dialga failed, at least other than you beating them: even though Dailga and Palkia have the power to manipulate time and space and are said to have created the universe with those abilities, they might not have enough power to actually create a universe in the first place. TG could have been taking the myths too literally and it eventually led to their downfall.

But....BUT... then again, in the anime Cyrus was able to use their powers to create some sort of alternate dimension/world thingy.

But I agree though, you hear all the in-game characters talk about how they're myths and legends, when they say stuff like "according to legend, legend has it, ect."

Maybe for another change, they could elaborate a little more on that, like confirm whether or not those myths are real or whatever.... but like what has been said here before, them going too deep into myths and religious-related stuff will cause alot of butthurt.... and I bet GF doesn't wanna piss people off that much.

I say, bring on the wacky legends (with moderation). If it helps paint the Pokemon world picture just a little bit clearer, I'm good with it. I like it when the world expands and 'evolves'. Makes things much more interesting. It also makes sense that each land and civilization would be built upon its own legends and history.

The creative minds have good heads on their shoulders. They've been smart enough to leave really controversial crap out of the games (like war).

Battle System. Compared to gen III, it was slow. It should be simple and fast like gen III.

Its because of the added effects and such that slow the battles down a little. Even though I like the improved effets with moves, the battle system does seem a tad slow.

I have to point out that none of the games ever confirm that any of the Sinnoh legendaries actually created time, space, the universe, etc.

Read this from Sinnoh myths in game, it doesn't refer to the pokemon by name, but its pretty clear they mean Arceus, Palkia and Dialga, especially when you can take the movie Arceus to the Sinjou Ruins and get an egg of either Palkia or Diagla. It doesn't say they created space and time, but if you read it right, iy says space and time came into being after Palkia and Dialga were created, meaning they could have made space and time, also their signiture moves point to more proof this could be true.

In the beginning, there was only
a churning turmoil of chaos.
At the heart of chaos, where all
things became one, appeared an Egg.
Having tumbled from the vortex, the
Egg gave rise to the Original One.
From itself, two beings the Original
One did make.
Time started to spin.
Space began to expand.
From itself again, three living things
the Original One did make.
The two beings wished, and from them,
matter came to be.
The three living things wished, and
from them, spirit came to be.
The world created, the Original One
took to unyielding sleep...

Yeah, if the lake spirits are known to have created emotion and knowledge and willpower, or whatever, then it's not to far fetched to say Dialga and Palkia created time and space. Especially when you consider that Cyrus wanted to use them to recreate the universe. Cyrus, as we know, did his homework and I see no reason to see him as crazy and wrong.

This. To me, Legendaries like that are just the uber-rare ones that are talked about quite alot in the ancient myths and legends of the Pokemon World. It actually might explain why TG's plans to make a new universe with Palkia/Dialga failed, at least other than you beating them: even though Dailga and Palkia have the power to manipulate time and space and are said to have created the universe with those abilities, they might not have enough power to actually create a universe in the first place. TG could have been taking the myths too literally and it eventually led to their downfall.

But....BUT... then again, in the anime Cyrus was able to use their powers to create some sort of alternate dimension/world thingy.

But I agree though, you hear all the in-game characters talk about how they're myths and legends, when they say stuff like "according to legend, legend has it, ect."

Maybe for another change, they could elaborate a little more on that, like confirm whether or not those myths are real or whatever.... but like what has been said here before, them going too deep into myths and religious-related stuff will cause alot of butthurt.... and I bet GF doesn't wanna piss people off that much.

Dialga and Palkia probably did make the universe. HOWEVER, keep in mind Arceus was there helping them too, so without his extra power boost, they likely wouldn't have nearly enough strength to remake the entire universe again.

No one knows what it was Cyrus went into though. For all we know, it was a portal to the Unown dimension or something.

Yeah, Game Freak won't go into religious stuff at all, so it's unlikely. I'd like at least some myths to be semi confirmed during play though. For example, in DP, Dialga/Palkia could of made like, a small dimension that you have to navigate through before you fight them.

The stories about the lake legends and the writing on the plates are still just legends. There's no proof given anywhere that that's what actually happened. It's what the people of Sinnoh who subscribe to those myths believe, but we have no indication that it's fact. All the interactions we have with those Pokémon show is that that they definitely have some ability to manipulate their respective domains - there's no proof that they actually created them.

The characters in the games act on the myths as if they are true, and run into no difficulties at all. Cyrus doesn't fail because he was wrong about Dialga and Palkia, he fails because others stronger and more determined than he is stop him.

In any case, this all misses the point I was making, that the constant attempt to make each legendary somehow more apocalyptic than the last is tiresome and has, in my opinion, diminished the magic of the pokémon

Tullio

Ooh yes, how dare they make the Pokemon world feel more alive and real by having NPCs who believe in myths and legends! If anything, I want them to continue with that, the worship and legends surrounding legendary Pokemon!

In any case, this all misses the point I was making, that the constant attempt to make each legendary somehow more apocalyptic than the last is tiresome and has, in my opinion, diminished the magic of the pokémon

Tullio

Agreed. Next we know, we'll have the 4 Horsemen as legendaries. How ever awesome that sounds.

Ooh yes, how dare they make the Pokemon world feel more alive and real by having NPCs who believe in myths and legends! If anything, I want them to continue with that, the worship and legends surrounding legendary Pokemon!

Hasn't that been happening since the beginning? I mean, a few NPCs in the other regions believed in the legends of the other legendaries as folktales. In Shinou, they just took it a bit more serious and was practically worshiped by all the locals like the truth. So, that hasn't changed much.

I'd love it if they completely got rid of the god damn chiptone cries. Replace them with some real animal recordings. That would be amazing.

Was anyone actually arguing against that? There's a debate to be had about whether the legends should automatically be taken as fact, but I don't think anyone's arguing against in-game people believing in those legends.

Anyway. The cries really need updating, as many others have said. Definitely Gens I and II, and perhaps III as well. I'm not sure if this will actually happen, since Game Freak appear to have this obsession with keeping things absolutely the same for continuity's sake. See also Azurill's messed-up gender ratio, which could easily have been fixed in Gen IV, but wasn't. I know some people continue to insist that this was intentional, but if it was, you'd think that such a unique quirk would at least be mentioned in its Pokedex entries.

I digress... I'd also like to see Safari Zones and roaming legendaries cut waaaay back. Both of these take what is already a challenging, luck-based process - catching rare Pokemon - and add an even greater element of chance. I enjoy a challenge, but this is fake difficulty. Latios in Ruby nearly had me in tears, and I don't think I ever caught a Chansey in the Gen I games. I can only imagine the anguish involved in running into a shiny in the Safari Zone...

Golbat should have his old sprite. The one with tongue. They are there to disturb us, right?

The stories about the lake legends and the writing on the plates are still just legends. There's no proof given anywhere that that's what actually happened. It's what the people of Sinnoh who subscribe to those myths believe, but we have no indication that it's fact. All the interactions we have with those Pokémon show is that that they definitely have some ability to manipulate their respective domains - there's no proof that they actually created them.

This is a game, kid. Don't look at it so logically. Those myths are there for us to infer that is what happened in the Pokemon world. I doubt all that stuff is in there so people can say, "Well, that is what COULD have happened, but there is a chance it's false!" It's a kids game...all that "logic" doesn't need to be applied.

The people and their "worship" actually seem like the average religious Japanese person. Acknowledges their gods, but doesn't really care that much.

How about this:

"There is already saved data, are you sure you want to overwrite it?" Every time you save over your own game! That kind of warning should only be present when you're saving a new game over an old one, otherwise it doesn't really get your attention when it's actually important.

Agreed.

They have Pokemon, they can command them, they can kick your ass. It gives the feeling that you are in a world where the animals that inhabit it are always in your life, and in everyone's life. Your literally just asking the games to be spiky haired prepubescent boys to kick other 10 year old prepubescent boys asses.

MWAHAHAHAHA! I love the word "prepubescent"!

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom