• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did the anime make you really like certain Pokemon?

Re: Has anyone on the main cast made you really like a certain Pokemon?

I still wish James' Mime Jr. would've evolved so he'd have a cool Mr. Mime battling alongside Carnivine, Seviper, and Megayanma. That would've been an awesome combination.

Oh there's tons. So many Pokemon I dismiss at first and they don't interest me, then after a while of being on the anime I am in love. Right now it's gotta be Axew, although it wasn't instant. Axew seems to have a shorter neck now, and be sligthtly fatter, and he's just so adorable in the anime at the moment. I want ONE!!!

The of course there is Oshawott, who when I first saw the starters I thought was the worst, then I got caught up in Oshamania like everyone else and fell in love and picked him for my team.

Others include, Bulbasaur, Arbok, Psyduck, Jigglypuff !!! Totodile, Togepi, Pikachu duh, Phanpy, Chikorita, Torchic, Turtwig, Woobat, Levanny, Roggenrola,

@Appletree; would you mind if your topic was also extended to include Pokémon in the Anime that weren't owned by a main character? It's a good topic, and I think there's definitely a greater chance for more discussion this way.

Seeing Pokemon in the anime always helps to give me a strong opinion of them one way or another.

Dento for sure made me love Maggyo. I already enjoyed it's derp, but Dent's Maggyo...just...shines.

I also really enjoyed Kibago near the beginning of the series, when it was all cute and babby. Especially when they showed a bit of his back story with Iris and how she acquired it. So cute ;~; And Iris' Emonga made me just. love it.

Satoshi's Mijumara changed my mind completely on the pokemon species. I never really gave it much thought, but man, it's so fun and cute ;~;. Pokabu was already one of my favorite Pokemon (if not my overall favorite) but the way Satoshi acquired his just broke my heart, and I can't wait that he's getting some more development soon. He's not my favorite of Satoshi's, personality wise, but I always enjoy seeing him and his interactions with the other Pokemon (he and Miju fighting, omg)

Not on the main cast, but I also really love Archen now :3c

Omg, definitely Heigani!

Say what you will about Satoshi's Hoenn 'mons, but they were all really fun with shining personalities :3

I will agree I liked Croagunk, Mime Jr. Scraggy and others a hell of a lot more once they joined the main cast. I didn't think much of their designs before that.

I never disliked any, but there were definitely some that I appreciated more because of the anime. Let's see...

I'm rather tempted to raise a Sawk in another game playthrough, thanks to Stephan in the last tournament.

On my second playthrough of Diamond, I selected Chimchar as my starter Pokemon and trained a Buizel because they were owned by Ash.

And let's not forget Croagunk. I also decided to raise on of those too.

And get this, I chose Snivy as my starter because of Trip and caught and raised an Excadrill because of Iris when I played White. Oh, the irony.

These are the only ones I can think of right now that had the large impacts my on views.

Last edited:

Skorupi definitely. Animated!Skorupi is SO cute! what's with the anime making scorpions adorable hurrhurr

I MEAN LOOK AT THIS FACE.
Seconded, I'd have never given Skorupi a chance in the games but love it in the anime.

Buizel is another one, I'd usually ignored other water types in games where I could catch Poliwhirl, but the Ash's Buizel made me like them. Also, the movie/anime episodes based on it made me really like Lucario and start to use it in game.

As much as it was annoying as a Bonsly - Brock's Sudowoodo redeemed it for me, I really like the saluting it does and the personality it had. Compared to the in game version being put in as a roadblock, I suppose you can only go up from there.

Since this topic has now been expanded to include non-recurring pokemon, then definitely Simisear following its appearance in BW025. Actually, I already loved all three of the elemental monkey evolutions beforehand, but the Simisear in BW025 is what prompted the Ember pokemon to shoot up as my absolute favourite of the trio. It was just too, too insanely adorable.^^

The anime made me love Spearow and Beedrill, maybe cause I was so sick of seeing their species be nothing more than the obligatory thing that chases Ash and Co out of a forest. Well, before Unova anyway. But I was pretty glad that Jimmy had a Beedrill in Chronicles, even though we didn't get to see much of its personality.

Mawile, since it became so rare a treat to see one!(still waiting...let's hope the New Unova Dex has Mawile in it, since they're clearing out Challenger's Cave...which I wanna see in the anime...)

Chimecho. 'Nuff said.

The following word...UPAH! Wooper are cuuuuuuuute in the anime! So are Quagsire!

Finally...Swoobat. I had to see an angry swarm of them, but it worked!

There has been a lot, actually. But my ultimate favorites are Sawk, Tepig, Chimchar, Snivy, Axew, and Marill (yep, that's right!).

I used to not like Wobbuffet, and I never evolved my Wynaut, but Jessie's Wobbuffet made me like them:)
The 8th movie really made me have some respect for Lucario, and now it's one of my favorite pokemon
Oh, and I absolutely LOVE Tracey's Venonat :D

Sawk and Throh. I originally did not care much the muppet duo's designs, but seeing their uniquely awesome fighting styles animated changed all that.

I also disliked Ursaring for it's overuse as a plot device... until Paul caught that one. Psychopathic brute doesn't even begin to describe it...

So... many... times... I will just look at a Pokémon in the games and think, "Wow this really looks like crap." and then the Animé just makes it insanely adorable or shows one with a really interesting personality, etc.

Zuruggu is the most recent. I really really disliked the design, but the Animé just made it soooooo cute. Totodile and Gible were also in that category. I liked Totodile's design beforehand, but the Ash's Totodile really made me like the whole species and omg I hated Gible in game. It looks stupid. It's just a head with tiny legs and tiny arms, but in the Animé... well, it's still that but adorably so. XD Same with Ishizumai and Maggyo to be honest. Chillarmy and Pachirisu as well.

Pikachu, Meowth, Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmeleon, Charizard, Heracross, Chikorita, Bayleef, Noctowl, and Psyduck, just to name a few.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom